CW chief: "Smackdown" was just too manly for our "brand"

Wallbanger

[URL]http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/2008/07/cw-chief-smackd.html[/URL] Some interesting comments from the head of the CW network, Dawn Ostroff, in relation to the impending departure of Friday Night Smackdown. Read the whole thing, but here's the money quote from Ostroff: [QUOTE]"WWE" on Friday night ... was really all men. There was no duplication in our audience at all for any of our other shows. When you looked at the viewers who came to us from "WWE," they did not watch any other show on The CW and vice versa. ... We know that taking something like "WWE" off, which was a very strong performer, will have an impact on the schedule. The question is will we be able to compensate in other places. But I think what's really important is that we have talked about building a brand, about having flow. [/QUOTE] Translation: I care less about making money than I do about making a broadcast version of "Lifetime".

[QUOTE=D16NJD16;464844]Dumb reason if you ask me. As if someone sits there and watches the same channel all day long[/QUOTE] There are perfectly valid reasons for a network to establish its own brand, and to even cancel an otherwise successful show that doesn't fit that brand. But when that branding has caused your network to hemorrhage viewers from day one it's probably a good idea to find a new approach.

[QUOTE=Wallbanger;464834][URL]http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/2008/07/cw-chief-smackd.html[/URL] Some interesting comments from the head of the CW network, Dawn Ostroff, in relation to the impending departure of Friday Night Smackdown. Read the whole thing, but here's the money quote from Ostroff: Translation: I care less about making money than I do about making a broadcast version of "Lifetime".[/QUOTE] Sexist TBH :p

Each to their own. Wrestling shows may pull in viewers, but ad space is (or was when I last looked it up) very cheap during RAW and Smackdown, because of the stereotypical view of what wrestling fans are. If you saw the LAX/Beer Money match at Victory Road, that's the type of audience advertisers think wrestling has, and those guys didn't look like they had lots of disposable income to spend on cars and kitchen appliances. Women are a much more valued demographic for advertisers. Ad space during those Lifetime-esque shows may be able to sell for more than during Smackdown, despite the ratings perhaps being lower. .... and of course, I have no problem with establishing a brand identity.

[QUOTE=BurningHamster;464900]I've been saying it for years. TV is all aimed at women these days and it's a sure sign the world is going straight to hell. God bless my DVD player.[/QUOTE] I second thatr motion! Also, I like that WWE fans didn't watch other shows on CW... think about the **** they have. "I'm a huge Undertaker fan, oooh, look, Gossip Girls is on!" Uh, yeah. The mid 90's called, and they want Dawson's Creek back.

[QUOTE=mp84;465363]Well, there's always Smallville ! :), but then again, I wait till the season comes on DVD anyway, as I prefer not having commercials.. lol.. MP[/QUOTE] I'm semi-with you there. I love not having to sit through ****ty commercials. Tv shows on DVD are the best thing since three way sex! OK, maybe there have been better things, like, um. Hi.

Archived