Best wrestler to never win a title

GatorBait19

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O.K, there are loads of people who should of had a world title, but haven't.

Honestly, if everyone on these pages had a world title, every world champ would only get one reign, which would only last a few months.

Now, if we start on the "usual suspects" of who doesn't deserve a World Title, or a certain amount...

...Batista maybe, he is incredibly popular...

...Cena has proved himself, just needs some fine-tuning...

...HHH has earned it, and even his marraige can't factor that out...

...Hardy maybe, maybe not so soon after a drug scandal though...

...Rey Rey has earned it, but at the time was only cos of Eddie, but it was an amazing thing t see at wrestlemania...

...Ultimate Warrior, No frankly, anyone else could of been given his push...

...Does Flair deserve 16? probably...

...CM Punk, No, way to early, I like it but too soon...

...Hogan was crazily popular in his heyday, despite his lack of skill...

...David Arquette, Only shows how naive WcW was...

...Vince Russo, Oh Yeah baby...

...Orton's first reign, shouldn't of happened...

...yes, there are loads more, but people are probably annoyed by now of me going...

...like that...

Edit: this list is of the "usual suspects" that I could think of off the top of my head, and my views, not a list of people who didn't deserve it.

Honestly, if everyone on these pages had a world title, every world champ would only get one reign, which would only last a few months.

Now, if we start on who doesn't deserve a World Title...

...Rey Rey has earned it, but at the time was only cos of Eddie...

...yes, there are loads more, but people are probably annoyed by now of me going...

...like that...

You are right,I think instead of saying "won a major title" it might be more fair to say "guys who never had a good main event run".....that would narrow the list considerably....

Excluding the obivous stupidity such as Russo,Arquette,McMahon,etc.,in ring talent is not really good indicator when it comes to the WWF/E....the WWF/E style was never all to focused on in-ring ability,Austin.....Rock.....Warrior.....Hogan....Superstar Graham....heck even if you go back to Sammartino he was no Thesz by any stretch....in fact I'd say he was very similar to Hogan,with a touch of ethnic hero mixed in.Really only Backlund and Hart were the only "pure" types you would see as champions in other places.....the others mostly all fit a specific mold(Big guy,fairly basic brawling style with maybe a flashy move or two mixed in,decent look,cuts an interesting promo and is over with the fans)I guess you really can't blame them,at the end of the day it is all about putting butts in seats.....if Hogan could sell out an arena doing some basic brawling,"Hulking Up",and dropping the big leg,is there really any incentive to do(or learn) the more difficult moves?

I really agree with you on Orton,I think they only did it because Lesnar was their youngest champ ever and had just recently burned them,so I think they hot-shotted it to Orton just to take that distinction away from Lesnar.

yeah, I should of narrowed it down. But people like Hogan are good wrestlers because attracting fans is a vital wrestling skill.

CM Punk, however much smarks love him, couldn't sell out an arena just by "hulking up".

So with Batista and Cena and Hogan and the like, they deserved their runs, just beacause they make money.

yeah, I should of narrowed it down. But people like Hogan are good wrestlers because attracting fans is a vital wrestling skill.

CM Punk, however much smarks love him, couldn't sell out an arena just by "hulking up".

So with Batista and Cena and Hogan and the like, they deserved their runs, just beacause they make money.

I agree,you can be the best ever in the ring,but if you can't make the fans care,then from a "wrestling as a business prospective", you are no good,since the name of the game is to generate revenue(via tickets to events or PPV buys).A good example there would be Jerry Lawler in his hey-day,average looking guy,basic in the ring, but great at making people care about the match(whether it be loving him or hating him),sold out the old Mid-South Colisseum every week for years,which is the name of the game.

Now, if we start on the "usual suspects" of who doesn't deserve a World Title, or a certain amount...

...Rey Rey has earned it, but at the time was only cos of Eddie, but it was an amazing thing t see at wrestlemania...

...like that...

Edit: this list is of the "usual suspects" that I could think of off the top of my head, and my views, not a list of people who didn't deserve it.

I'm with you on Russo, Arquette, and Orton's first reign. When that first happened 5 years ago I was left scratching my head wondering why they put the strap on him so early.

I'm with you on Russo, Arquette, and Orton's first reign. When that first happened 5 years ago I was left scratching my head wondering why they put the strap on him so early.

Simple. Because they didn't want Brock Lesnar to be called the "youngest world champion ever" after he left for the NFL. If Brock hadn't abandoned the WWE, Orton wouldn't have sniffed the title for years.

Hulk Hogan has decent wrestling skills, just look at his matches in Japan when he was known as Ichiban (Number One) and the Axe Bomber is his finisher. He has lots of wrestling holds and take downs in which the Japanese fans love and was surprised that big blond giant can wrestle unlike most Americans who are one dimensional.

Its the wrestling fans of his generation in America that want him to brawl and not wrestle

Simple. Because they didn't want Brock Lesnar to be called the "youngest world champion ever" after he left for the NFL. If Brock hadn't abandoned the WWE, Orton wouldn't have sniffed the title for years.

Im sorry but I dont agree with you at all. Brock was a Smackdown guy, Orton was Raw so why would of he been stiffed the title?. They gave him the title because they thought it woud make him an instint Mainevent player. The title win itself and the storyline that followed is what screwed him over It and the fact he sucks as a face lol

But seriously I wish I could rep who ever made this thread. great thread! lol

Yeah Brock was the youngest WWE Heavyweight Champion

but Orton was the youngest World Heavyweight Champion in history

So two different titles oddly, nit Lesnar at the time was the youngest Heavyweight Champ, and Vince was still mad at him when he left so I could see that being why Orton won it so early, plus I always thought Orton was gonna be a hugh star

But I think Vince truly believed Orton was ready for the title honestly

I don't know if I could narrow it down just to one, but at the thought of "the best to never win a world title" three names come to mind: Anderson, Roberts, and Piper.

With Jake Roberts, he didn't hold a single title in either WWE or WCW. None. Never a tag team, nor US or Intercontinental champion. Heck, he didn't even get a run at the European championship (and I believe that he was in his second run in WWE when they created the title). But he never really needed a title either, as he was a huge star having never won a championship of any kind.

Arn Anderson was simply a case, I think, where he was in Flair's shadow for his entire career. He began as a tag team wrestler with Ole Anderson when he was still learning his trade, and joined the Horseman during this time period. He continued as "The Enforcer" for Flair throughout the rest of his career (minus a short stint in WWE in The Brainbusters tag team with Tully Blanchard), and so never challenged for the title. The one feud he did have with Flair was quite short and towards the end of Double A's career, and not even for a title if I remember correctly.

With Roddy Piper, though, I can't fathom as to why he didn't get a title run with either WWE or the NWA. He made his name feuding with Valentine over the US championship in NWA, and then had a strong feud with Flair over the World title. Fast forward to the WWE, where his feud with Hogan sold the first Wrestlemania. Piper had feuds with both of the biggest names in wrestling history and for both major North American world titles, and somehow didn't come away with either of them. On a side note, a Dusty/Piper feud for a world title, when both men were in their primes, would have been like printing money.

Archived