Best wrestler to never win a title

GatorBait19

Lance Storm would be mine... WCW missed the boat huge on him.

In fairness, WCW was pushing him when they died. Had they lasted I don't think there's any doubt he'd have been a World Champion.

Edit: If Raven and Mike Awesome qualify for this then Add Shane Douglas, Terry Funk, Bam Bam Bigelow, Taz, Jerry Lynn, and Steve Corino to the list.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see Christian not winning a WWE/World title this time around.

Not sure about Masked Orange's comment about him not having an IT factor? Really? Christian has always been one of the best on the mic and got huge reactions from the crowd as a face last time round in WWE.

One of my favourite ever wrestlers.

Would love him to have a feud with Edge, that would be gold.

I think Hardy's enormous crowd reactions have reawakened Vince and co's awareness of the underdog potential. Christian could be another version of that (let's not bring CM Punk into it, as much as I love the guy, he was a transitional champion in his first reign).

Anyway, Christian has the potential, and once WM is over and we're past the draft we'll have a better idea if WWE agree with that right now.

Okay remember guys the rule to this is you have to put the title they didn't win that you thought they should have, just to clear that up

Yes Christian won the NWA title twice, but never the WWE world Title so he, and did he ever win the TNA World Title or are we going to classify that with NWA

I think a lot of young guys who WWE mangement aren't sure of are transitional champs

Orton, CM, Jeff on his first run (more of a test to see what happens)

WWE must do it to see how ratings are, I think that's why Rey held it for so long, because smackdown ratings went up, but that is my theory

okay what about Jess "The Body" Ventura? never won the big one

can't believe we've gone 4 pages without this guy, Rick Rude! The guy had alot going for him, was a great wrestler, had some great fueds (his best imo was with Roberts) and always looked a contender, but nothing :(

I agree... I love Rick Rude... badass look and workrate and charisma... one of the best wrestlers of the 90s for sure.

I think Hardy's enormous crowd reactions have reawakened Vince and co's awareness of the underdog potential. Christian could be another version of that (let's not bring CM Punk into it, as much as I love the guy, he was a transitional champion in his first reign).

Anyway, Christian has the potential, and once WM is over and we're past the draft we'll have a better idea if WWE agree with that right now.

But christian has the biggest uphill climb ever. Vince does not like him at all

yeah but Vince hates Hogan as well and he still let's him wrestle

It doesn't matter how much Vince hates people. If they can make him money he loves them, if not he cuts them, it's how business works.

Look at the likes of Rhyno, Kurt Angle (who many think will go back to the wwe after his contract expires, Lashley might one day comeback. Hell even Eric Bischoff, Bret Hart, and Nash and Hall all came back. The only man who hasn't was Savage, but that could change one day as well

yeah but Vince hates Hogan as well and he still let's him wrestle

It doesn't matter how much Vince hates people. If they can make him money he loves them, if not he cuts them, it's how business works.

Look at the likes of Rhyno, Kurt Angle (who many think will go back to the wwe after his contract expires, Lashley might one day comeback. Hell even Eric Bischoff, Bret Hart, and Nash and Hall all came back. The only man who hasn't was Savage, but that could change one day as well

thats true "never say never" as they say, but highly unlikely is an opportune phrase i can use in this situation.

I think that's a slight misconception about Vince's attitude to Christian. From what I've heard it's not that he doesn't like him, it's that he doesn't see him being able to draw money. Although the TNA jump probably irked a tad.

In fairness, WCW was pushing him when they died. Had they lasted I don't think there's any doubt he'd have been a World Champion.

Edit: If Raven and Mike Awesome qualify for this then Add Shane Douglas, Terry Funk, Bam Bam Bigelow, Taz, Jerry Lynn, and Steve Corino to the list.

by the time of WCW's death Lance Storm had already been burried and was a simple tag team lackey again.

I'd say Mickey Rourke.........I don't know if Sid Vicious ever won a title......or how about Rick Rude I don't think he was ever world champion

Sid held he WCW title.

I think a lot of young guys who WWE mangement aren't sure of are transitional champs

Orton, CM, Jeff on his first run (more of a test to see what happens)

WWE must do it to see how ratings are, I think that's why Rey held it for so long, because smackdown ratings went up, but that is my theory

okay what about Jess "The Body" Ventura? never won the big one

I dont think Orton first reign was as a transitional champion. His title storyline/win was rushed and poorly planned and the fact he sucked as a face resulted in such a short title reign.

They should of gone the Batista route, Slowly hinting at a turn for months before it actually happend. It made Batista a star while Orton lost all momentium and heat that took years to regain.

But christian has the biggest uphill climb ever. Vince does not like him at all

What we read isnt always true

Don't know why you are rolling your eyes. It's my opinion. I've never (with the exception of ECW) seen him as a major player. I just think his role in the big two as a midcarder fit him.

I am a big Rick Martel fan, but I don't think he should have had a title reign. He is one of the best to never have one in my opinion, but I don't think he should have had one.

Like I stated previously. I liked Raven. Was a fan. Just, me, myself, personally, my own opinion, trying not to offend you like I so obviously did :rolleyes:, don't think he should have had a world title run.

Didn't offend me at all, mate. It's the whole thing where you can't convey sarcasm in text form.

I was rolling my eyes at myself for having such a one-track mind as a fan... every time a thread like this comes up, it gets to about the third page and Nevy wades in with the Raven argument :D.

I was serious with my comments but, in no way, was I bashing your opinions.

Quote The Raven

Nevermore

I think the reason Giants title run was only 5 minutes is because if he was a champion he would never lose. When I watched the E true Hollywood story of him (or whatever it was) Vince stated that Andre would lose only if Andre wanted to lose.

I think his title win was just Vince giving him what he always deserved. He won it in 88 and died in 93 and retires soon after 88 with health problems (1991 I believe)

True about Curt, but I meant more like they didn't win it in a certain company when they should have, i.e Austin with the World Title in ECW or WCW. Yes Austin wasn't in ECW long enough to become a true contender, and he was still somewhat new in WCW. but that's what I meant.

Because in that case we could take out piper would be out because he won the NWA Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight title in NWA/WCW which was a major title from what I remember

Curt did hold a recognized World Heavyweight Belt in the AWA,still I would have liked to have seen used on top in the WWF.

The Mid-Atlantic is a kind of tricky thing;technically it is MACW's top belt while the NWA World Belt was mostly a "touring champ" type of belt visitng the different territories....when Flair started his runs as World Champ,the World Championship was seen far more often in MACW than other places,even though it was still a "touring" Championship....so where does that leave the Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Championship when Piper held it?Really it had become a more secondary regional belt,used similar to the way the Intercontinental Championship was/is used inthe WWF/E....I guess a case could be made either way,but I lean towards Piper's run being "non-major".

My list would be:

Arn Anderson(Loved his work as a heel,shame Flair overshadowed him)

Jake Roberts(Wonderful all around,if not for his "personal demons"....)

Magnum T.A.(though he would have had a major run if not for the accident)

Barry Windham(Good inside the ring,a half decent interveiw too)

Tully Blanchard(Wonderful heel if undersized,generated great heat)

Bob Orton,Jr.(Fantastic in the ring,and could work as a face or heel)

Adrian Adonis(Certianly not a looker,but man could he wrestle,incredibly agile)

Dick Slater(Good all around,a classic old school redneck heel people hated)

Terry Taylor(Had the technical tools and the look,Red Rooster killed him)

Ted DiBiase(Great all arounder,wonder why he never got a short run?)

Andre(they always felt he never needed a belt due to the uniqueness)

Jimmy Snuka(similar to Andre,in the early 80's they felt he was so over he didn't need a belt)

Call me crazy...Doink(original)....Matt Borne was good,shame he had the "personal demons"

I can't believe no one has mentioned this guy in how many pages..... Brad Armstrong. Quite frankly in my book the single most underrated talent of the 80's. I just recently Youtubed a few of his matches and it reminded me how crisp this guy is in the ring. Very solid and fine tuned, not bad on the mic either. However in WCW for most of his run, he was just a ring general who was a fixture on Saturday night and created that stupid Armstrong Curse as his excuse for jobbing.

He really could have been big, and next time I fire up my DOTT I will make sure WCW, nay, the WORLD... bows to the mullet!!

I can't believe no one has mentioned this guy in how many pages..... Brad Armstrong. Quite frankly in my book the single most underrated talent of the 80's. I just recently Youtubed a few of his matches and it reminded me how crisp this guy is in the ring. Very solid and fine tuned, not bad on the mic either. However in WCW for most of his run, he was just a ring general who was a fixture on Saturday night and created that stupid Armstrong Curse as his excuse for jobbing.

He really could have been big, and next time I fire up my DOTT I will make sure WCW, nay, the WORLD... bows to the mullet!!

Good call, B.A. was good...sadly they jobbed him so much(plus putting him with the Freebirds),he couldn't be made credible :(

Archived