What if..........

alden

For me, part of Kane's mystery, his appeal, was his mask. The whole reason behind the mask was the fact that he was badly disfigured because of the fire, was it not? But suddenly, he took it off and nothing. Yes, he's kind of ugly but not the kind of ugliness a fire could cause to your face.

Saying that, I thought the "psychologically scarred" schtick they came up with was a fantastically well-done retcon (my spell-check just recommended i put Vietcong instead of retcon there, hmm...). That his burns had long since healed, but he was convinced he was an ugly monstrosity, a freak, shunned by society etc. etc. That had so much potential, but alas... nothing came of it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saying that, I thought the "psychologically scarred" schtick they came up with was a fantastically well-done retcon (my spell-check just recommended i put Vietcong instead of retcon there, hmm...). That his burns had long since healed, but he was convinced he was an ugly monstrosity, a freak, shunned by society etc. etc. That had so much potential, but alas... nothing came of it.

Ah yeah, forgot about that. It did have bags of potential, I guess. Mayeb Kane could have a set back at the hands of Khali. Get them to face off at the next PPV (yes, that will a 'Match of The Year' contender) and Khali can chop Kane in the head, extra-hard. Kane suffers some kind of brain trauma and his personality shifts back to that of the Kane who is convinved that he's a munter and this results in him putting the mask back on and going psycho.

Exactly.

For me, part of Kane's mystery, his appeal, was his mask. The whole reason behind the mask was the fact that he was badly disfigured because of the fire, was it not? But suddenly, he took it off and nothing. Yes, he's kind of ugly but not the kind of ugliness a fire could cause to your face.

It'd still be cool if he put the mask back on. They teased it during his feud with Mysterio, and while I would mark out for it, it just wouldn't be the same. They'd have to put him in some kind of angle with Taker, maybe after a casket match. Taker sets the casket alight and Kane burns. It's revealed later, on WWE.com or whatever, that Kane survived but has suffered burns and they don't know whether he'll be back.

Kane is off screen for a while. Undertaker gets into another feud with HBK leading upto Wrestlemania and HBK challenges him to a Wrestlemania rematch, but this time, he wants to face him in a Hell In A Cell match. Taker agrees and the match is set. Fast forward to 'Mania, Taker vs HBK, Hell In A Cell. Taker has the match won when suddenly Kane's music hits. Fire errupts from the stage and The Big Red Monster walks to the ring. Much like his debut at Bad Blood in '97, Kane rips the door off the cell. Undertaker is in disbelief, his past is back to haunt him yet again. Taker hits Kane but Kane takes it. Kane hits a tombstone then leaves. HBK crawls over Taker and beats him.

Would that not be cool? It'll never happen, of course and there's a number of reasons:

1. It looks like the WWE will have a PPV dedicated to Hell In A Cell matches so I wouldn't expect to see them anywhere else.

2. I don't think they'll end Takers streak, and if they do, it won't be to HBK. They'll probably let a younger guy do it.

And 3? I think it's too late for Kane. He's not getting any younger and the WWE won't achieve anything from this. But, I'd still love to see it.

They don't have one deadicated to Hell in a cell that's just going to be the main event.Kane could get burned in a different way falling off the stage or by flamethrower.

Ah yeah, forgot about that. It did have bags of potential, I guess. Mayeb Kane could have a set back at the hands of Khali. Get them to face off at the next PPV (yes, that will a 'Match of The Year' contender) and Khali can chop Kane in the head, extra-hard. Kane suffers some kind of brain trauma and his personality shifts back to that of the Kane who is convinved that he's a munter and this results in him putting the mask back on and going psycho.

Head trauma is a great way to do it! You could just avoid having that godawful match by having it be a backstage assault or something of that ilk though. A few sledgehammer shots by Trips or a million and one chair shots could do the trick. I like it!

They don't have one deadicated to Hell in a cell that's just going to be the main event.Kane could get burned in a different way falling off the stage or by flamethrower.

...I'm sorry, did you just use the word flamethrower in relation to a wrestling show?

I have two of them so here they are..

1: What if TNA fired Russo and had lets say hire Flair and let him do the booking. with his experince in the bussiness he would do a great job.

2: In the past there has been roumers of Hogan having his own real company ( Not the CCW crap ) what if he started his own company called the New Wrestling Order NWO and have Bischoff book it how do you think this would turn out?

1: What if TNA fired Russo and had lets say hire Flair and let him do the booking. with his experince in the bussiness he would do a great job.

Russo isn't the sole voice of power in TNA and he gets far, far too much blame for the problems over there as well as the problems in WCW during his run. And Flair would likely be terrible as a booker (again)

2: In the past there has been roumers of Hogan having his own real company ( Not the CCW crap ) what if he started his own company called the New Wrestling Order NWO and have Bischoff book it how do you think this would turn out?

It probably would fail miserably as I don't think either of them is in touch with the business anymore.

Has the past decade and a half drastically improved his ability to book? He was godawful when he first got the book around 89, and not any better when he got the book again in 94. Mick Foley was pretty much right on target when he said he was as bad at booking as he was good at wrestling. Judging by his recent comments about being better than 90% of WWE's roster right now and his behavior with ROH, I doubt it would be anything other than "The Ric Flair Show" featuring all his buddies and guys that can work the style he likes.

Have seen this before and i think this is a good comunity for it........Basicly somone picks a what if situation in wrestling and it will give something is talk about.

The first one i think is a big one........

What is hulk hogan never joined wcw thus leading to no nwo.......

I think in 1994 WCW needed Hulk Hogan. I'm not sure if it means there'd have been no nWo, that really is dependent on Hall and Nash, but I don't think it'd have been as effective without Hogan. They would have had to have turned their top face heel, which without Hogan would have been either Sting or Flair, and I just can't see them being successful members of the nWo. Hogan has more of a backstage rip on him that allowed him to morph into Hollywood easily.

I think WCW eventually would have made it, but it takes them a lot longer without Hogan.

What if it was Sting that had the spot instead and Hogan stayed fan favorite?

I think they lose a massive opportunity, Sting as the speechless arch enemy of Hogan is golden. Hogan needs a voicepiece, Sting has the history within WCW as a franchise to play that particular role. Sting probably could have pulled it off, but I think they miss the best characterisation of Sting, unless he subsequently ditches the nWo, rebels against them as crow Sting.

What if the screw job was reversed and Hart stayed in WWF and HBK went to WCW

Bischoff had no objective plans for Hart, it was all about star power, and I would assume they would botch Shawn Michaels up just as much. Great pity.

What if vince mcmahon had actully accepted bishoff's challenge for a match on ppv? *i forgot what ppv it was but i want to say great american bash but might be wrong*

I'd back Bischoff, strangely. Due to his martial arts experience. It was Slamboree 1998.

Either way, imagine if Vinnie Mac did show up and it turned into a shoot? I think the nWo would have ran down and scared off Vinnie Mac... Either way, I think it would have a foolish move by Vinnie Mac and I see big time backfires on him if he did. Particularly given later on in the year the feud with Austin really picks up and they start wrestling each other, if his physical credibility for example was taken away by Bischoff, little Bischoff, where to for VKM?

Bischoff had no objective plans for Hart, it was all about star power, and I would assume they would botch Shawn Michaels up just as much. Great pity.

actually i could of seen shawn going to wcw and joing nwo he was already getting ready for d-x and he played that great i think he would of fitted in nwo great, but he wouldn't of been heavyweight champion like he has been in wwe just because of hogan, goldberg and all the other already stars thats been their

Here's a big one at least in my opinion?

What if...

Wrestling never DEVOLVED/evolved (depending on how you look at it) into more entertainment than wrestling. Meaning people with actual talent and presence in the ring were pushed over people who are great at giving speeches?

and another What if...

Tag team wrestling was still given the same amount of respect it was in "Glory Days" of pro wrestling?

one more two parts to this one, what if...

American television wasn't so censored and ECW could have gotten National exposure with out having to water down their shows? Even with the watered down product, TNN never violated their contract with ECW and negotiated with WWF?

1: Russo is given most of the blame for what went wrong in WCW, and from what i've heard and read he was basically the fall guy. I don't know that I would want Flair to be the head booker of a company, with someone as long of a career as he's had, maybe a road agent or trainer would be of better use to his skills.

2: Bischoff as a booker I'd have to disagree with. I'm not sure but I think I recall it was his decision to have Tony Schivone (SP?) announce the results of raw in attempt to hurt WWF and was a major backfire. I've heard the same rumor and I think initially it would be great and as much as I'm still "saying my prayers and eating my vitamins" I wouldn't want to see hogan get back into the ring to compete. On his name alone I think the first show would draw a major crowd, but he would have to have some major " Active " talent to keep people coming back for more.

OK here is a scenario for you.

Vince McMahon Jr does not follow in his father footsteps and the WWF is sold to a individual who like Vince Sr respects the old ways and territories.

Hulk Hogan does not leave the AWA but remains there for several years but never becomes anything more then a decent main eventer and eventually leaves wrestling.

What would the wrestling world be like without Hulkamania and what would it possibly look like today

No vinny mac :( would lead to no closed circuit wrestle mania 1 and 2 which leads to no wrestlemania 3 and the pro wrestling ppv breakthrough. It might have happened eventually but it'd be hard to say when.

No Hulkamania:(:(:( Love him or hate him it would be hard to argue a bigger name in the sport of professional wrestling. People who didn't know what wrestling was knew who Hulk Hogan was. Honestly if there wasn't a Hulkamania and the merchandising that that led to i'm not sure WWF would have been able to survive long enough to see an attitude era. To see stars like Stone Cold, Rock, HHH, HBK and Undertaker come to fruitition (yes I know a few of those were around WWF before the attitdude era)

What if they never decided to de-mask Kane? Where would he be at now? Would he have had more runs with the top belt?

I still feel that taking the mask off Kane is one of the biggest mistakes they've ever made. He still is, and always will be one of my favourite wrestlers but his character is so stale now.

I liked the concept of Kane, right up to the point when he started talking with aide from an electric razor. If they didn't unmask him I don't think he would have stuck around for any length of time. After all he lost to X pac in a feud.

What if...

Wrestling never DEVOLVED/evolved (depending on how you look at it) into more entertainment than wrestling. Meaning people with actual talent and presence in the ring were pushed over people who are great at giving speeches?

and another What if...

Tag team wrestling was still given the same amount of respect it was in "Glory Days" of pro wrestling?

one more two parts to this one, what if...

American television wasn't so censored and ECW could have gotten National exposure with out having to water down their shows? Even with the watered down product, TNN never violated their contract with ECW and negotiated with WWF?

Well, if it never evolved, I would personally have never gotten into it. I grew up in the 80s watching Hogan, Sgt Slaughter, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Andre the Giant, Mr Perfect, Ultimate Warrior... and I probably watched them because of the spectacle of the fantasy world. It probably matched my needs as a kid with a creative mind quite well. I really couldn't have told you too much about the wrestling sciences I now know, but then again I doubt I would have learned the finer points of wrestling psychology should it not have been for the explosion of Hulkamania. Poor scientific wrestling without a story is of no interest to me.

Tag team wrestling should still be a major art form. I think it probably fell by the wayside probably in the middle part of Monday Night Wars, and I think also the advancement of technologies, globalisation, telecommunications strangely has a part to play in it. Back in 80s when tag team wrestling was something you stuck to for a while, and was a genuine division... product life cycles were longer. Example, the telephone your ma and pa owned in 1981 was probably the one they owned in 1991. It just isn't the same now. People need constant revigoration with new ideas particular with a product that is over saturated in that you see more in 6 months televised than maybe you did in 3-4 years back in the golden era of tag team wrestling. I don't know if you can have the golden long teams that go for a decade anymore, but I think some of the sciences of cutting off the ring, the hot tags, and using better ring psychology to control the tempo of the crowd should be managed better.

I'm not really a hardcore fan, so ECW has probably never overly appealed to me. I'm all for innovation and spot monkeys and all the different styles of creative entertainment, but there's a certain level that I just go you know, that's a bit out there. So I'm more of a fan of ECW now than when it was what it was maybe due to exposure but also because hardcore needs to have a reason and I'm kinda old school-ish that the old hardcore matches were there for a reason, they were the exception rather than the rule and they heated up territories as a result when they were hauled out.

What if Vince McMahon was a woman?

I don't know if the sex was ultimately important, it was probably the expansionist strategy that he had. He had a strategy, and he knew how to execute it to the people of the 80s. He was in a word, brilliant. Probably generically in the modern day workplace there are certain myths culminating in glass ceilings and the likes for the career woman, but in my own management I'm a big believer in diversity and I know the freedom of different opinions and visions has helped me craft successful strategies, whereas if I just involved the 'boys club' I'd get generic visions and back slapping when I want divergent views to analyse in the context of the commercial environment.

If you were take a very conservative generic view, perhaps the storylines would have been even more soapie, perhaps they would have targetted teens-early adults more as their demographic, but as long as they had the mainstream strategy and knew how to ensure it was executed properly then perhaps the only difference is the demographic they target.

I think WCW would have never been as big as it was and would have been bankrupt before ECW probley

WCW never would of gone bankrupt as it was owned by Ted Turner. WCW never went out of business because of anything to do with being bankrupt it was down to the fact it was losing money. WCW was not a stand alone company, it was a divison owned by Ted Turner.

I liked the concept of Kane, right up to the point when he started talking with aide from an electric razor. If they didn't unmask him I don't think he would have stuck around for any length of time. After all he lost to X pac in a feud.

ummm that feud was WAY before Kane lost his mask. He needed to lose the Mask he was REALLY stale. he was stuck in the midcard as a face in a tag team with RVD. him losing it made him a credible mainevent player again. the way they went about it was great too with HHH accusing him of losing his "fire" or whatever and setting up to a Mask Vs Title match.

What if...

When are you claiming this 'devolution' has taken place? Dusty Rhodes was hardly the greatest worker in the world, but he could rock the microphone like few before him. You can go back further, decades upon decades, and still find guys who let their talking do the talking, despite not being 'great workers'.

If wrestling had stayed as just wrestling, and not become 'entertainment' I don't think we'd be having this conversation right now. It never would have hit mainstream. No Hogan. No Rock. No Austin. No Monday Night Wars. No nothing. Wrestling would be a sideshow attraction, nothing more.

what if Vince would sell wCw

Its unusable now IMO. Most of the stars you associated with WCW are either retired, tied up to WWE or on their last legs. It'd be like starting a new promotion with the only link being the title lineage and the names.

Archived