What style is wrestler ____?

True enough, but few wrestlers, even in real life, have the skills to be considered as an MMA Crossover, and Psychopaths do well in promotions with high levels of Hardcore, like IWA-MS or CZW. I'm not saying looking at a worker and his history isn't important, just that you shouldn't be afraid to apply styles like Super Junior or Luchador or Puroesu just because the guy isn't a national of the country that spawned the style or is a non-typical size for that style if his skill set otherwise fits. :)

As for some of the wrestlers listed by markieje:

Christopher Daniels could work as either a Super Junior or Cruiserweight, I lean toward Super Junior myself.

Finlay I'd go with Regular Wrestler today. Back when he was fresh in WCW I would've listed him as a Brawler (IIRC, the preset for European), but he's rounded out his game during his time in the States.

While I agree with D-Lyrium about Zach Gowen, Spot Monkey for sure, I disagree with him about Tajiri. I'd list Tajiri as a Brawler with an unusually high Flashiness myself. He doesn't really employ much of an Aerial offense and while he has under rated technical skills, I don't really feel he has the stats to be a Cruiserweight. His Brawling skills simply eclipse his other skills.

Given the effects on theAI, Necro Butcher is going to have to be changed to brawler if he's going to be in ROH.

Just as someone doesn't have to come from the "right" country or be the "right" size to have a certain style, he doesn't have to have the normal stats for that style, either. Just because a wrestler is Puro or a Brawler doesn't that that his to be his highest stat. Someone could be a cruiser with his highest stats in an unusual area. These are all independent. In Japan, Puro may be more common than Regular, and and that may not be always be the highest stat. (Old school example: Jumbo Tsuruta was Puro style and his tech skills may have been even stronger than Puro. And some of the jr. heavyweights in NOAH are Puros, but that's not their highest stat.)

Someone remarked earlier that the Hardcore skill doesn't have anything to do with taking sick bumps and that's right, it doesn't. I think that's toughness. But if you're a Psycho and you don't have the stats to take the sick bumps, you're in for some trouble.

So, questions - Spider Nate Webb - how about him?

Sabu??

Given the effects on theAI, Necro Butcher is going to have to be changed to brawler if he's going to be in ROH.

Just as someone doesn't have to come from the "right" country or be the "right" size to have a certain style, he doesn't have to have the normal stats for that style, either. Just because a wrestler is Puro or a Brawler doesn't that that his to be his highest stat. Someone could be a cruiser with his highest stats in an unusual area. These are all independent. In Japan, Puro may be more common than Regular, and and that may not be always be the highest stat. (Old school example: Jumbo Tsuruta was Puro style and his tech skills may have been even stronger than Puro. And some of the jr. heavyweights in NOAH are Puros, but that's not their highest stat.)

Someone remarked earlier that the Hardcore skill doesn't have anything to do with taking sick bumps and that's right, it doesn't. I think that's toughness. But if you're a Psycho and you don't have the stats to take the sick bumps, you're in for some trouble.

So, questions - Spider Nate Webb - how about him?

Sabu??

Yep, I'd change Necro over to Brawler, given his history with RoH and other non-hardcore focused promotions. If we were talking several years ago however, when he stayed in Hardcore promotions, Psychopath would fit.

The problem with setting a wrestlers style to something his skills don't fit is that the game will change it to a better fitting style ASAP. Which is why you see so many "so and so has decided to change their image and wishes to be known as a X Style instead" and such messages on the Internet Screen in data where the workers styles aren't well balanced by their stats. In your Tsuruta example, having him set to Puro Style is fine, tech skills are part of that style and having a slightly higher rating in those skills than Puroresu isn't going to cause any problems. If he increased those skills while not increasing his Puro skill (if he was in your game and you brought him over for a tour in the US and had him wrestle against high Tech skilled workers, for example), or if he already had a steep discrepancy in his stats, he will eventually switch to Technician. Looking at the wrestler and his history, combined with his skills, should tell you which style he should be assigned.

I think Toughness determines how well the worker takes "sick bumps" too (Selling determines how well he gets it over with the crowd, and Resilience is how well he's able to resist suffering debilitating injury from taking the bump). Hardcore tells you how well he's able to setup the spots to do such a bump in a match, whether giving or receiving, however.

Sabu is a Spot Monkey. He has some decent skill in Hardcore, but your typical Sabu match is all about the (blown) spots.

See to me, and anyone can feel free to disagree with this, I don't really think of super juniors as being high fliers in any real amounts.

Looking at the types of wrestlers that compete in the Super J Cup tournaments over the years, most are more or less technical wrestlers with heavy striking. My introduction to junior wrestling was the Super J Cup, with guys like Malenko, Benoit, Lyger, Gedo, and Dragon. Even looking at the current roster of NJPW super juniors (the originators of the style), I don't really see much high flying outside of the odd plancha, moonsault, or flying headbutt.

Much in the same vein, puroresu doesn't necessarily have to involve dumping anybody on their head either. NJPW and AJPW are just as much puroresu as NOAH, albeit without as many vicious "oh my God" moments as NOAH has. Just stiff strikes with submissions and suplexes. I do very much agree with the sentiment that people put too much thought into what the styles are though, something that I myself am more than likely guilty of as well.

Having a match be about the spots or being able to do sick spots doesn't automaticly make one a spot monkey. Sabu before and RVD definitly where never spot monkeys as they could tell a good story in the ring and work the spots in the flow of the match. Sabu botching his spots is part of his consistancy/safety and has nothing to do with his style. RVD is a regular wrestler as he has a good overall game altough a strange regular one at that and Sabu ís a Cruiser with good brawl/hardcore skills.

Most important thing is to have the style and the worker's skills and the promotion/region they are in line up. If you are unsure just make em regular as that is the catch all class.

See to me, and anyone can feel free to disagree with this, I don't really think of super juniors as being high fliers in any real amounts.

Looking at the types of wrestlers that compete in the Super J Cup tournaments over the years, most are more or less technical wrestlers with heavy striking. My introduction to junior wrestling was the Super J Cup, with guys like Malenko, Benoit, Lyger, Gedo, and Dragon. Even looking at the current roster of NJPW super juniors (the originators of the style), I don't really see much high flying outside of the odd plancha, moonsault, or flying headbutt.

Much in the same vein, puroresu doesn't necessarily have to involve dumping anybody on their head either. NJPW and AJPW are just as much puroresu as NOAH, albeit without as many vicious "oh my God" moments as NOAH has. Just stiff strikes with submissions and suplexes. I do very much agree with the sentiment that people put too much thought into what the styles are though, something that I myself am more than likely guilty of as well.

I think I may have noted in another post, Puroresu is the normal wrestling style in Japan. Puroresu is to Japan what Regular Wrestler is to the United States.

Tajiri, Jerry Lynn and Chris Kanyon?

Jerry Lynn I would make a Technician. I've always seen classified as Technician.

Chris Kanyon - Regular Wrestler.

Tajiri - an earlier post argued for Brawler. I'm using the Know Your Role mod, which has him as a Cruiserweight. Tajiri is a difficult case.

Jerry Lynn I would make a Technician. I've always seen classified as Technician.

A Technician ?! To me a Technician is someone whose style of wrestling is based around wearing their opponent down with intricate submission holds, working over a body part etc.....

I don't think Jerry Lynn has ever been that sort of wrestler, most of his offence is based around impact manouvres with a bit of relatively unflashy high flying thrown in. For me a case can either be made for him just being a regular wrestler or as a not particularly flashy cruiserweight.

I've always seen Super Juniors as "technically-minded but small and agile wrestlers". Guys who, with an extra 30lbs of muscle, would be technicians or regular wrestlers, but are smaller and while not 'high flying', are much more agile and use the top rope more.

Early Chris Jericho and early Lance Storm are definitely two workers I'd have in mind for North American examples. Daniels, too, for sure. Tajiri probably as well, now that I think about it. I mean, he was more strike-based, but i just don't see Tajiri when I think of "brawler". Jamie Noble... Even to some extent, Dean Malenko, although he fits nicely into Technician too. Wild Pegasus-era Benoit was definitely a super junior, nobody can really argue that.

Jerry Lynn would be a Super Junior lacking flashiness or a regular wrestler with all around skills, maybe little higher on aerial and technical.

Tajiri: Super Junior with higher than average puroresu skill. Young Chris Jericho would be a Super Junior, Daniels too. Lance Storm I would classify as a technician or a regular wrestler.

Jerry Lynn always seemed a pretty standard cruiserweight to me but now that he's slowing down in his old age he's probably a regular wrestler. I think a few of you guys are forgetting that Lynn was a pretty flashy highflying worker at one point.

Tajiri is the one guy who has always confused me the most but i am happy to think of him as a super junior or cruiserweight.

I would class Sabu as being a psychopath with good hardcore and flying skills.

I'm probably going to stop thinking about worker styles now, everyone has their own opinion and at the end of the day if you give a worker a radically wrong worker style they adapt in the game anyway to one which better suits their skills.

• 1 month later...

Is that a bump?

I've been mulling over how to deal with different kinds of Japanese lightweights. The definition of a super jr. involves strong aerial and technical skills.

Especially now with the rise of NOAH, there is a new kind of lightweight wrestler that doesn't fit into any established style definition. There are number of jr. heavyweights in who combine great aerial skills with great puroresu style: KENTA, Naomichi Marufuji, Tasuhito Takaiwa, Tetsuya Naito, Takuya Suguwara, Ryusuke Taguchi, arguably NOSAWA, Hirooki Goto, Akira Raijin (Kiyoshi), Kamikaze (Tengu Kaiser), are some examples. In the mods I've worked with, some of them are classifed as super jr., some as puro style, and I've seen some of them classified both ways.

It seems like there is a new kind of light/jr. heavyweight style that has emerged that isn't captured by any existing style. For lack of a better term, I'll just call it "Jr. Puro."

I think I may have noted in another post, Puroresu is the normal wrestling style in Japan. Puroresu is to Japan what Regular Wrestler is to the United States.

Actually, I'd say Puroresu is to Japan what Entertainer is to North America. Japan is known for Puro, North America (and especially the US) is known for Sports Entertainment.

Archived