Games of the past

GatorBait19

Games that you use to love playing and now you look back and see how boring they really were or that you really miss it

for me it was the Oregon Trail

pretty much you went from NY to the west and set up your life, along the way you faced challenges and other sorts on your way

man I loved that game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oregon_Trail_(video_game)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was playing Aerobiz for Sega Genesis (Yes my Genesis still works nearly perfectly I might add that is more then I can say for my XBOX and XBOX 360.) the other day and man is that game fun. Yeah the graphics are very outdated but that does not detract from the game being fun.

There really aren't many games that I would feel are "outdated" or ugly. I was never a fan of cool graphics and am sad to see how today's games sometimes relay so heavily on the graphics that there's nothing behind them. Whenever I read a review of a game that has 10 to 20 hours of gametime and no replay value, it pisses me off.

Games I love to this day:

1.) Settlers 1, Amiga 1200. The best there ever was. It had such unique look and I've spend hundreds and hundreds hours playing it. Probably one of my favourite games ever. Used to play this on hotseat with my little brother, man those were the days.

2.) WWF Attitude, PSX. The first wrestling game I ever bought. And I hadn't watched wrestling prior to buying this, I just read the review of the game on a magazine. I loved it and the game is really responsible for my interest in wrestling as it started it all. Still think that it has the best game mechanics since you don't have to grapple in order to make a move (I don't know how it is in newer games since I haven't played anything new, my latest this kind of games would be FPW2 and No Mercy on N64.)

3. Civilization II, PSX. Another one that I spend countless hours on. And I learned english and history from it since I actually read the profiles and information on the technology and such.

It's always nice to take a nostalgic trip to past once in a while..

Games that you use to love playing and now you look back and see how boring they really were or that you really miss it

for me it was the Oregon Trail

pretty much you went from NY to the west and set up your life, along the way you faced challenges and other sorts on your way

man I loved that game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oregon_Trail_(video_game)

Hey GatorBait, Westward Trail is a free-to-play browser based version of Oregon Trail. :) I used to play Oregon Trail all the time at school growing up back in Ohio. The irony of that now is not lost on me. :p

For my part, Maniac Mansion (Commodore 64 or NES version) and River City Ransom (NES/Wii VC) are two of my all time favorite games.

I love the Civilization games! I am sitting in front of the first three as I type this.

I also would like to add the Sim City and Sims games to this as they were always great fun.

And the original Tropico, I got it for free and I love the game. You basically run a Banana Republic and the game has a wicked sense of humor.

Oregon Trail. I remember going to this like RV type thing outside where they had a few Apple's back in like 1994-1995 with Oregon Trail on those big discs. You had to do a few math exercises on the computers first and then could play. Eventually they got a computer room with Windows and floppy discs... Oregon Trail was a favorite again; until... the internet. Then we surfed.

It's funny, this thread is up at another forum I post at...

Test Drive: Duel

The Cycles

Indianapolis 500

Police Quest series

Quest for Glory series

Leisure Suit Larry series

Kings Quest series

Black Cauldron

...I loved the old Sierra games

Railroad Tycoon... its funny, I was in NYC recently and I saw Cornelius Vanderbilt's statue out the back of Grand Central and JP Morgan Building around the corner and I'm thinking... Railroad Tycoon icons. Yeah baby.

Takedown Wrestling

Centurion Defender of Rome

Theme Park

Battle of Britain

So many of these games had wicked cheats, or little hidden ways around things. In Theme Park I remember you had to negotiate with the unions when they wanted pay rises for their employees and it'd be like two hands trying to connect with the left side behind the less, and the right side being much more pay. You'd go a long way out, and then haul your hand back and all of a sudden you had the union accepted a pay cut. Good work, douches. Or Battle of Britain, you'd take control of a German bomber, and then turn back for Germany instead of doing the bombing leaving your mates for dead, and then the Brits would come after you and you'd sit in gunner position and flog them. You'd parachute halfway back across the British Channel and for your efforts get the equivalent of the Victoria Cross. Or Indy 500, you'd do like a 10 lap race. But instead of going forward, you'd turn around and crash everyone else out and then mosey on at a very comfortable pace to win easily. Railroad Tycoon though had the best little hidden extra, you'd buy up heaps of Powerplants with many you didn't have, and all of a sudden the game would go troppo, so you'd have $30,000,000 in debt, but all of a sudden the game recognised it as cash reserves. So all of a sudden you had a load of powerplants and cash to do whatever you wanted with.

I love trawling the abandonware sites, without necessarily downloading any of them just to remember those wonderful times.

Man,there's a ton of games I loved,and still do......Wasteland,the Bard's Tale series and most of the D&D Gold Box games on the C64,as well as a good chunk of the NES/SNES/Genesis library of games...the other kids can have all the bells and whistles they want,I'm still happy playing Columns and the original Metroid.:)

X-Com aka UFO probably the first pc game I fell in love with.

Amen to that. Never really got into the sequels, but UFO was - and is - nearly flawless. One of the all-time great games, still runs on modern PCs (Patched - as it's abandonware you can find it fairly easily) and the only game so good that I've willingly paid for it three times.

still play x-com pretty fequently

games i miss:

miss tunnels of doom on ti994a

autoduel on apple II

bandit kings of ancient china on nintendo

uncharted waters on genisis

old games i still play or want to play

warlords 3 dark lords rising, heroes of might and magic, might and magic, wizardary, bards tale, wasteland, master of orion, master of magic and lots of others that i am not including

X-Com aka UFO probably the first pc game I fell in love with. Also a shout out too Aerobiz started my love for management/bussiness games. Tropico/Civ are also favs.

My GOD I love those games.

Well, the three originals anyways, particularly the first.

I remember going to Mars and thinking "I wonder which of my most awesome agents are gonna die here?"

Turns out only a handful of nobodies who were part of the "C" team I had. Meanwhile, my main again (a super badass German guy) took out the entire final room's worth of aliens all by himself.

Love that the original three X-Com's are all available on Steam. Lord knows I missed those games, and still play them today.

I honestly miss alot of the old Maxis games, particularly the usually superior versions for the SNES. SimAnt and SimEarth were fun ways to waste a few hours when I was little. SimAnt in particular. I have to think a modernized version of the game would be legendary.

without getting into the old school stuff I grew up on, I'll just mention the game that brought my friends and I the most entertainment:

Golden Eye

imho, its still the best first person shooter ever developed. We played it for 5 or 6 years when i was on camp staff, even as newer games came out it was still the most popular.

I used to love Crystal Castle on my dad's Atari when I was younger. A football game called Striker (which nobody seems to remember and I'm not sure if it's real of I dreamed it!) on my Amstrad CPC 464. Phantasy Star on Master System II and Streets of Rage 2 on Mega Drive, which I now have on Xbox 360. Double Dragon on NES. Resident Evil on PS1. Fable on Xbox. WWF No Mercy on N64. Rome: Total War and Championship Manager 3 on PC.

Archived