TEW2010 Developer's Journal Discussion

Awesome to the ultimate max, dude!

*Cough*

As noted, I believe we now have a difficulty setting :p

Still, I'm not looking forward to having the hardcore players waving their, er, achievements in our faces.

Although, I will be playing with most of the stuff turned on/off as appropriate, so...

Most? Anything in particular you'd like to eliminate?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
#2: User Preferences

Different people choose to play in different ways, and so the new User Preferences has been introduced to maximise your ability to customise the gameplay experience.

Each player in the game has access to their own User Preferences screen, from which they can enable or disable any of the fourteen choices. Below are eleven of the fourteen (the remaining three refer to features yet to be announced, and so will be discussed at a later date):

- Show all stats as grades rather than number (see note 1 below)

- Owner goals are turned on

- Penalties for small rosters are turned on

- Penalties for repetitive booking are turned on

- "Perfect Show Theory" is turned on

- Characters can become stale over time

- Worker morale effects are turned on

- Momentum effects are turned on

- Time limits on negotiations are turned on

- Advance bookings cannot be deleted

- Industry and economy effects are turned on

Any of these features can be turned on or off at any point during the game. These features only apply to situations directly related to the player in question; for example, if you turn off the industry and economy effects it means that you will not see workers looking for more money during "boom periods" when they are negotiating with you - however, it will still apply to AI promotions. This is because in multiplayer games, users can have contradictory preferences (i.e. one player can have the effects turned on while another has them turned off).

This feature replaces the more rigid Straight Edge vs Free Style choice that was in TEW08.

Note 1: If grades are turned off, all stats are shown as numbers on a scale of 0 to 100. They do not show percentages (i.e. you will see 1% and 2%, but not 1.5%). These numbers are graphical 50x50 icons, and so fit directly onto screens where grades are used.

Even knowing the additions to the game, I have to say that today's one is a pretty huge addition. Along with "easy mode" you also get the addition of the bit I just bolded, which people have been clamouring for since forever. And since I know what the other 3 unrevealed options are, I can tell you that there's even more fun stuff to come. I've yet to settle on the settings I like the most, but I'll probably mix things up depending on the kind of game I'm playing. Fun fun fun! :D

I'd probably use the small roster penately if I'm going to be doing 1 show per week, to avoid having deadweights on my roster that won't feature on my A show, due to their lack of popularity/skill. And the fact that I can delete any Advance Bookings, if I happen to make a minor mistake by accident. Those would be the two that I'd be editting.

Looking at them, the 'can't eliminate advance bookings' I'm assume is the same as '08 - you can still delete them on the day they're made, but not after. If it's an absolute, then I'd have to turn that off.

Owner goals I don't use in diary games, but otherwise I leave on. It might be interesting to flip them off and on and see if we get new ones when reactivated. Might depend, I suppose, on the time that passes.

The 'time limit on negotiations' one is interesting - Jay Chord's closing negotiations after just two offers was the closest I've come to putting a fist through my screen in recent memory. Being able to toggle that one has its attractions... :D

Even knowing the additions to the game, I have to say that today's one is a pretty huge addition. Along with "easy mode" you also get the addition of the bit I just bolded, which people have been clamouring for since forever. And since I know what the other 3 unrevealed options are, I can tell you that there's even more fun stuff to come. I've yet to settle on the settings I like the most, but I'll probably mix things up depending on the kind of game I'm playing. Fun fun fun! :D

You must stop that at once or I will be forced to come to Scotland and punch you in the face. :mad:

The 'time limit on negotiations' one is interesting - Jay Chord's closing negotiations after just two offers was the closest I've come to putting a fist through my screen in recent memory. Being able to toggle that one has its attractions...

What does this mean, by the way? The six months you have to wait until being able to sign someone to a new contract after he/she left your promotion?

just a quick question i might of glanced over this, but can this be changed in game? Like with a game, you could pick free style or straight edge at the start, but you could never change it after that

so are these options going to be accessed while in a current game?

just a quick question i might of glanced over this, but can this be changed in game? Like with a game, you could pick free style or straight edge at the start, but you could never change it after that

From the journal entry itself. :)

Any of these features can be turned on or off at any point during the game

I think the appeal of this new feature, is the ability to toggle the other feature's we aleady had. Bassically, most of what I read is already in there, except.....

Worker morale effects are turned on

and the three he didn't announce yet.

The Morale is in there, but I can't help to wonder if bringing in a toggle button for it might mean that there is going to be "other" ways for morale to complicate things (in a good way), that there wasn't in '08. Actually, if I'm even on the right track, this is something like I posted in another thread about finding little things that no one bothered to post, but probably everyone has thought about while playing... like Would diva X really do a jello match in a bikini, if this were a real promotion? Or would Wrestler a really do a promo that controversial?

Just saying.... I might be wrong, and the normal things already in game being the reason for the toggle, but I have never been effected with it, if at all.

I'm guessing that these preferences might make the Free Style/Straight Edge division obsolete, unless there are new features added to one side or the other.

I'm guessing that these preferences might make the Free Style/Straight Edge division obsolete, unless there are new features added to one side or the other.

It's like no-one actually reads the posts that Adam makes. :p

This feature replaces the more rigid Straight Edge vs Free Style choice that was in TEW08.

Anyone want to guess on the other toggle buttons?

I'm guessing that pre-set potential or chemistry will be able to be toggled.

Anyway, great feature Adam. This guy is so awesome.

No, let's not try and guess them because we may only end up being disappointed. Let's just celebrate the features that have been announced and are in the game for sure. :)

Game Converters & Saved Games

For those who didn't make the jump from 2007 to 2008 or who recently started with the 2005 edition - will there be utility that will allow a up-convert from 2005/2007 to 2010?

The Saved Game issue is what held me back from making the leap to 2008 and seems like it may be a remaining issue for me in 2010. As a game player, I have so much game-playing-equity invested in my 2007 saved games that the thought of scrapping them and starting over seemed counter-productive to me.

Derek (or anyone) - do you have a clarification on the "Time limits on negotiations?" Is that while in contract negotiations (meaning, essentially, you'll only fail if you cancel negotiations) or referring to the cooldown after failed negotiations?

Sorry, I can't really say. :cool:

The Perfect Show Theory is hard to explain, (either that or I'm just tired). Long story short, you book an important match-up to start the show, save the most important match for the main event, and book bumper segments/matches between the matches you think are gonna be your biggest hits, to give the fans a chance to calm down. You don't want them burned out for your main event. Looks like you can turn this off now though.

I always lucked out on this one, since that's basically the way I book anyway, (old WCW influence, I say), but I digress...

Hope this was helpful.

:)

And this is how TeemuFoundation explained it:

In short, it means "peaks and valleys", meaning that you can't book all your big matches one after the other, as the audience gets burned out. Rather, you need to book a big match, give the audience a chance to recover by booking a smaller match and again, a bigger match. And so on.

These were posted two pages back, hope these help you Weeman.

These are 3 very good additions IMO.

- Characters can become stale over time

- Worker morale effects are turned on

- Momentum effects are turned on

so morale and momentum can be turned on or off? It will stop people being complaining about not being able to give their wrestlers the momentum they want and the same with unhappy workers and morale.

If momentum is turned off then how does for eg storyline heat be determined? As i always thought momentum played a part in this or does it just start from their first grade workers get in their initial segment with eachother?

Archived