The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

I think part of the reason for the Maria release is because she is going to be on Celebrity Apprentice over here in the U.S. Which means she would be off WWF television for at the very least three months (because she has a contract were she can not appear on any other television shows while the Apprentice is airing). This seems to be the same thing that happend when Ashley was on Survivor.

Burchill? I'm sad we never saw the incest element to the brother/sister pairing played out, but not too fussed overall. Seemed like a good guy, but clearly creative didn't have anything for him.

Helms? Loved The Hurricane back in the day, one of the few Invasion guys to get himself over. Marked out for his return. Got old after a couple of fews and an incredibly wishy-washy even-stevens run. Neither surprised or upset. Maybe a 3-count reunion in TNA, or Suicide is unmasked to reveal 'it was Helms the whole time.

Maria? Shocks me. I hear she's trying to do music, so maybe WWE just weren't into the idea of her splitting her time.

I'm sure she'll be back after her Apprentice stint. As for Burchill? Never saw his work.

In the old days though, the ones getting canned would be the "creative" team. If your job is to find things for these people to do, and you can't do that...how is that their fault.

Helms and Burchill aren't surprising to me.

Maria though? There has to me problems behind the scenes. She has her CD coming out and is going to be on the Apprentice so I bet it was part her wanting to leave and the WWE.

Edit: http://pwinsider.com/article/45454/wwe-diva-comments-on-her-release-when-she-found-out-and-says-she-is-excited-about-her-future.html?p=1

Yeah I totally feel you dude. Maybe someone could have given birth to a hand somewhere in there too. Maybe Katie Lea could get killed by Kane and we could get some necrophilia into the incest. There was so much that could be done.

:rolleyes: Wrestling fans always expect the worst. Granted, it had the potential to be horribly offensive and incredibly lame, but there was potential for good too. Set the right tone. Bit of subtlety. I'm rewatching Lost right now, and the Boone/Shannon dynamic is pretty similar to how I'd have played it.

Given WWE's track record, it probably would have been awful, but I wish they had the balls to try.

EDIT: I'm expecting Slam Master J is next on the chopping block. I don't care who his daddy is.

:rolleyes: Wrestling fans always expect the worst. Granted, it had the potential to be horribly offensive and incredibly lame, but there was potential for good too. Set the right tone. Bit of subtlety. I'm rewatching Lost right now, and the Boone/Shannon dynamic is pretty similar to how I'd have played it.

Given WWE's track record, it probably would have been awful, but I wish they had the balls to try.

EDIT: I'm expecting Slam Master J is next on the chopping block. I don't care who his daddy is.

I'm glad WWE had the restraint not to try. I just don't see what incest has to do with wrestling or how it could be done without it all being a tasteless, offensive waste of time. Seriously, a dude banging his sister is not going to make me want to watch something and I question the morals, intellect and sanity of anyone who would tune in or buy tickets to see something like that.

Not surprised by the releases. More annoyed than anything. Like so much of the crap the WWE is doing anymore - like constant gimimick PPVs, etc - it just frustrates me. I always felt like Burchill could do something. Maybe not hit world champion levels, but he had a pretty good look, good size, can talk, and works pretty well in the ring. He seemed like he should be the kind of midcard core guy that every promotions needs.

I'm sure Maria's release was by request and, in TEW terms, she's either On Hiatus or Out Of The Business. Between going on Apprentice and becoming a singer, clearly she has other interests.

Burchill and Helms...meh. I'm sure they'll both be in TNA not much longer than 90 days from now, but I don't see either doing a whole lot. I'm with Self in that I would've like to see the Incest angle play out...but then again, I like offensive storylines.

In the old days though, the ones getting canned would be the "creative" team. If your job is to find things for these people to do, and you can't do that...how is that their fault.

This is the biggest myth in professional wrestling. So many people have this backwards. It is NOT creative's job to find things for these people to do, it is these people's job to FORCE creative give them something to do. If you haven't given creative a reason to put you on TV every week, you don't deserve to be on TV. And, contrary to popular belief, you can do that with any gimmick, in any segment, with any amount of TV time. Make the most of what you have, and you'll keep getting more. Be lazy, mail it in every week, or just lack the skills to get it done, and you'll be gone.

It's just like any sport, when players complain about not getting enough playing time, not having the ball thrown at them, etc. Shut up and play better, and you'll get what you want. Coaches are there to win, not give everybody an equal opportunity...creative is there to put on the best shows possible, not give every worker unlimited chances.

I'm sure Maria's release was by request

From her twitter: "Alright guys let's talk. I did not ask for my release. I was released."

She goes on to say more stuff after that like she wish she'd held the title, and it sucks to miss going to Mania then thanks fans/friends/etc. and says she's going to focus on singing, dancing and whatnot.

It does seem an odd release, though. I mean... Maria before the Bella twins? Or Savannah? Or... quite a few of the other divas...

This is the biggest myth in professional wrestling. So many people have this backwards. It is NOT creative's job to find things for these people to do, it is these people's job to FORCE creative give them something to do. If you haven't given creative a reason to put you on TV every week, you don't deserve to be on TV. And, contrary to popular belief, you can do that with any gimmick, in any segment, with any amount of TV time. Make the most of what you have, and you'll keep getting more. Be lazy, mail it in every week, or just lack the skills to get it done, and you'll be gone.

It's just like any sport, when players complain about not getting enough playing time, not having the ball thrown at them, etc. Shut up and play better, and you'll get what you want. Coaches are there to win, not give everybody an equal opportunity...creative is there to put on the best shows possible, not give every worker unlimited chances.

I don't think its a one-way street either way. I think it comes down to both. Because sometimes a worker simply isn't given a chance to succeed. And sometimes when they are and they start to, its taken away for whatever reason. So while its not always up to creative, its also not always up to the worker entirely either.

Case in point for the first one - Colt Cabana. They give him a bad jobber name, have him job a few times on TV, and then release him because he's "not getting over". Where was the opportunity there? How much are you really going to be able to connect with fans when you are being jobbed to Umaga in 2 minute matches?

Burchill's pirate gimmick is an example of the second.

Yes, the worker has to show they can make what they are given work. But they have to be given something to work with in the first place.

From her twitter: "Alright guys let's talk. I did not ask for my release. I was released."

She goes on to say more stuff after that like she wish she'd held the title, and it sucks to miss going to Mania then thanks fans/friends/etc. and says she's going to focus on singing, dancing and whatnot.

It does seem an odd release, though. I mean... Maria before the Bella twins? Or Savannah? Or... quite a few of the other divas...

Aside from the obvious as in Mickie James, Beth Phoenix and Neidhart, I would have thought that as far as personality divas go Maria would have been the main attraction. To me, her crossing over into mainstream could only have been beneficial for cross-marketing opportunities for the WWE.

So...she gets Slammy Diva of the year as well, and ... gone?

I must say I prefer the Knock Outs by a country mile, but, well Maria certainly had spunk.

I don't think its a one-way street either way. I think it comes down to both. Because sometimes a worker simply isn't given a chance to succeed. And sometimes when they are and they start to, its taken away for whatever reason. So while its not always up to creative, its also not always up to the worker entirely either.

Case in point for the first one - Colt Cabana. They give him a bad jobber name, have him job a few times on TV, and then release him because he's "not getting over". Where was the opportunity there? How much are you really going to be able to connect with fans when you are being jobbed to Umaga in 2 minute matches?

Burchill's pirate gimmick is an example of the second.

Yes, the worker has to show they can make what they are given work. But they have to be given something to work with in the first place.

Some of it.. well, it's a bit baffling. That said, TNA seems to enjoy doing the same as well (outlandish booking strategies.)

Burchill's pirate gimmick I thought was a bit daft, but I thought in limited opportunities he was making the best of an ordinary situation.

I think all three releases are...well, strange.

This is the biggest myth in professional wrestling. So many people have this backwards. It is NOT creative's job to find things for these people to do, it is these people's job to FORCE creative give them something to do. If you haven't given creative a reason to put you on TV every week, you don't deserve to be on TV. And, contrary to popular belief, you can do that with any gimmick, in any segment, with any amount of TV time. Make the most of what you have, and you'll keep getting more.

So next time they release Charlie Haas, it'll be because he's boring and doesn't know how to work? Because last I checked, he gave them plenty of reasons to keep him on TV with his impersonations gimmick, and his ring-work has always been excellent... Yet they dropped him out of focus and treat him like a ever-will.

Be lazy, mail it in every week, or just lack the skills to get it done, and you'll be gone.

Yeah, Carlito was released years ago, and isn't being featured on NXT among some of the most popular wrestlers in the WWE.

I'd like to know how you know that this is WWE policy, if you do know this for sure.

I will say this though, what your saying is bassically true to everyone at every job (well... All the jobs I know of anyways). Not happy being on the bottum, let your supervisor know... If he doesn't know how you can move up, go higher up and talk to his supervisor, and keep going till you get someone that "CAN" help you, or point you in the right direction. Don't do this just one time either, do this untill you do find yourself "moving up". Let them know your able to do more then your doing, and sacrifice the time to proove it at your current level if necessary... IF you are able to be more, you will get noticed if your talking to the right person.... Just don't overdue it (like talk to them three times a day, I mean like every three months or so, patience is a virtue). How will they know where you want to be if you don't tell them... them being the one's that matter.

IF this is what you meant, then I agree... However if WWE does have an open policy like this, that people are able to talk to creative and such to better themselves, then I'd like to know that as well, because that would mean everyone that has failed, did so with every opportunity. That doesn't mean that everyone that made it had to take advantage of those opportunities, but those that are struggling need to get a bit more creative themselves.

Dont like Dolph, hopefully Morrison doesnt get let off WM, i understand if truth is left off as I dont view him as big a star but Morrison seems to be rising fast as of late (in my eyes at least) putting on some good matches.

HBK storylines is the best WWE has done in awhile by far. Off the top of my head I cant think of something being actually good in recent years but this reminds of Jack Bruce and SWF :p

What if he was under a mask? A really cool looking mask with maybe a american flag that resembles a dragon? The masks help rey rey alot.......You know i think that might just get him over.

I think they should I've heard he had the American Dragon gimmick in ROH I dont watch the indies so NXT was my first time seeing Bryan but I would love for them to something good with him but I dont want them to force feed him to us like they did Sheamus

Maria?! What the hell?!

Right there with ya. :eek:

I think part of the reason for the Maria release is because she is going to be on Celebrity Apprentice over here in the U.S. Which means she would be off WWF television for at the very least three months (because she has a contract were she can not appear on any other television shows while the Apprentice is airing). This seems to be the same thing that happend when Ashley was on Survivor.

But wasn't Ashley asked (sent) to appear so that the WWE could get some more publicity by one of their employees working elsewhere? Correct me if i'm wrong, because I can't remember, but wasn't Ashely released after her appearance on Survivor?

Maria? Shocks me. I hear she's trying to do music, so maybe WWE just weren't into the idea of her splitting her time.

Mickie James has done a country music cd recently, and they haven't released her.

Releasing Maria seems... odd, especially just before Wrestlemania. Whilst i've never been a huge Maria fan, she has improved (well, she couldn't get any worse) in the ring over time so that she could have an at least watchable match. Plus she did have the bubbly/giggly personality during the backstage interview stuff.

Gail Kim can work (as i'm sure we can agree - although Remianen will probably choke on his Cheerio's hearing that :p) but she hardly gets any pop from the crowd at all, whilst Maria could make an appearance talking about Quantum Physics and she'd still get a pop from the crowd.

The following is from WWE.com:

WWE has come to terms on the release of WWE Superstar Charlie Haas as of today, February 28, 2010. We wish Charlie Haas the best in all future endeavors.

WWE better not future endeavor Maryse

i bet more names will be on the future endeavors list.

Primo (When's the last time you saw him?)

Knox (bring back A-Train, fire this useless Monkey man)

Kozlov (Who needs him)