The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

I agree with both of you. I was just thinking, when hearing the T-N-A chant.. WWE just doesn't have a ring to it. Don't know that WWF would have either.

And, definitely. I've heard more "this is awesome" chants at one PWG show that I've ever heard in all my years of WWE viewing. That is one thing I do like in TNA over WWE. You can hear the fans. I've gotten used to hearing chants, boos, cheers, and all that, and WWE just lacks that by booking giant empty arenas.

The problem isn't arenas... it's WWE likes to book arenas that are sometimes are little bigger than the amount of people that are attending show nowadays, to give themselves the "Big Show" feel like during the Attitude Era.

However, the difference is, during the Attitude Era, literally every seat will be filled. And more often than not, filled with fans that are rather vocal.

WWE sometimes doesn't have the first, and often doesn't have the second. That makes for a pretty lukewarm (at best) to dead crowd. In terms of money, I bet WWE has done the research to show that a slightly bigger arena probably make them more money, or they wouldn't doing it.

However, I think ECW has taught that, smaller crowd is better in smaller venue, and it actually looks better on TV, if you ask me. They acoutistics are better, the fans are easily better seen and heard, and it looks ilke the PLACE IS PACKED, rather than looking at an "pretty empty" arena. Bigger doesn't also means better. Sometimes it's just a lot of empty space.

My point exactly. I know Vince isn't an idiot, so I'm sure the arenas make a profit, or, enough of a profit, and yeah, it gives it a bigger feel than being "on a sound stage" but, it just lacks a lot to me now. I think I've grown out of their target demographic.

I did, however, love that the crowd was chanting "you can't say that" or, something similar, after one of those lame Macgruber skits.

However, I think ECW has taught that, smaller crowd is better in smaller venue, and it actually looks better on TV, if you ask me. They acoutistics are better, the fans are easily better seen and heard, and it looks ilke the PLACE IS PACKED, rather than looking at an "pretty empty" arena. Bigger doesn't also means better. Sometimes it's just a lot of empty space.

Um, any music fans here? Concerts taught this lesson decades ago. It also has something to do with demographics. Look at the Rolling Stones. Now, I don't know how many folks have gone to or looked into going to a Stones concert but tickets start at around $100 (and go up to around $2,000, last time they played the Meadowlands and PNC Bank). That's just face value, mind you. But the Stones can pack a stadium, even at that price, while say My Bloody Valentine or summat, has tickets that cost less than half that and can't do the same numbers. Given the price of their tickets, it makes perfect sense for WWE to book the largest venues they can (since the cost is being spread over more potential attendees so the projected profit is a bit more). WWE's fans watching on TV don't care about chants (as fatallylost noted, noticing this as you're "growing out of" their target demo), all they care about are the performers themselves (not necessarily the performances either).

Besides, packed crowds tend to be rowdier (it's basic animal behavior) and WWE doesn't want/like rowdy crowds.

I did, however, love that the crowd was chanting "you can't say that" or, something similar, after one of those lame Macgruber skits.

I laughed really hard when they started that chant. It was that exactly. You could tell that was a bunch of guys who had been watching since the Attitude Era. It was awesome. :)

All things considered, I was entertained by Raw. I mean, you have to give them a complete pass...this show wasn't even supposed to happen. Putting together a two hour show in a couple days isn't an easy thing to do. I just wonder what they would've done if the SD! crew got stuck in Spain. Triple H vs. Undertaker (assuming he wasn't on the SD! tour, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) in a two hour iron man match?

Dragging on is a good way to describe NXT. The interest factor in just seeing new people is gone...they need to start doing interesting stuff. That hasn't happened yet.

All things considered, I was entertained by Raw. I mean, you have to give them a complete pass...this show wasn't even supposed to happen. Putting together a two hour show in a couple days isn't an easy thing to do. I just wonder what they would've done if the SD! crew got stuck in Spain. Triple H vs. Undertaker (assuming he wasn't on the SD! tour, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) in a two hour iron man match?

Dragging on is a good way to describe NXT. The interest factor in just seeing new people is gone...they need to start doing interesting stuff. That hasn't happened yet.

Only a 60 minute iron man match. Then, we'd have Matt Stryker teach us... something... for an hour.

I really liked this week's NXT. Last week's talk-off was cringe-worthy, but bringing in the 'Duel' event from Gladiators was fun. They spread it out over the show, kept things moving at a decent pace. The finish was screwed up a bit (should have either been no rematch, or Young winning the rematch to further frustrate the 'always 2nd' Sheffield) but that's what you get with Live.

It's live, right?

I also really liked the new hype videos, CM Punk cut a nice promo, Tarver's ineptitude is growing on me, and I dug the stories they told with Gabriel/Otunga and Young/Tarver/Sheffield. The show lacked any moments of true awesomeness (no Miz, no Jericho yelling at the commentators, no big Bryan/Cole thing) but overall I really enjoyed it. A definite step up from last week.

Katie Lea Burchill, Micky James, Shelton Benjamin, Kung Funaki, Slam Master J and Jimmy Wang Yang released by the E. Source the E website as reported by 411.

Saw that on WWE's official Twitter page too. Big :( - especially for Micky James and Shelton Benjamin.

I'd imagine some, if not all of these folks will end up in TNA eventually.

I would guess a lot of this is just not having roster room post-ECW. I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't a few more releases after the draft.

Plus NXT not getting another season and having to work those guys in. Makes me wonder who the new sympathy jobbers will be. Apperantly Matt Hardy is grumbling as well. First three of the six could possibly work in TNA Yang, Funaki and J no imho.

I bet Carlito and Primo will be added to the list shortly

I'd imagine Carlito is safe until his rookie is kicked off NXT. Although Tarver's the top choice to be cut first, so that's only 2-3 weeks. Matt Hardy likewise, with the TNA-thing providing extra incentive for WWE to keep him around.

You know, for spite.

That didn't work for Helms though hehe.

I think Mike Knox is a good candidate for the next crop. I think Carlito and Primo will become the new sympathy jobbers.

Edit: Next to Knox also possibly Masters, Kozlov, Ryder, Jillian, Rosa, Dudebusters, Finlay, Goldust, Cryme Tyme, Tiffany, Regal, Jackson, Archer, Tyler Reks, Curt Hawkins. Some going backstage some back to development but thos would be my prime suspects.

That didn't work for Helms though hehe.

The Hardy Boyz as a tag team could draw money with very little effort, perhaps more than Jeff on his own (perhaps) Hurricane/Sugar Shane/Gregory Helms is a whole other thing. I'm surprised they haven't picked him up though. I admire their restraint there.

Anyone else find it a little sad that Shelton has been in WWE for like 8-9 years, and all people are talking about is "WGTT Reunion!" which was his very first WWE gimmick? He hasn't done anything better in all that time?

EDIT (in answer to the edit above): I pray for the continued employment of Curt Hawkins (keep hiding in FCW!) Zack Ryder (woo woo woo) and The Dudebusters (most awesomest tag team ever). The would be the most devastating stable ever.

Concering the WGTT reunion its because its the most obvious thing, seeing a lot of Shelton AJ and SHelton ultimate X as well.

Edit: On helms and Haas and Burchill who where released at the same time is the 90 days up yet? As I do not think so, so not conclusive as to what TNA intends there.

First booking idea I had was Morgan and Shelton as The Gold Print lol. They could compliment eachother well and both missed boats by the E etc.

The Hardy Boyz as a tag team could draw money with very little effort, perhaps more than Jeff on his own (perhaps) Hurricane/Sugar Shane/Gregory Helms is a whole other thing. I'm surprised they haven't picked him up though. I admire their restraint there.

Anyone else find it a little sad that Shelton has been in WWE for like 8-9 years, and all people are talking about is "WGTT Reunion!" which was his very first WWE gimmick? He hasn't done anything better in all that time?

EDIT (in answer to the edit above): I pray for the continued employment of Curt Hawkins (keep hiding in FCW!) Zack Ryder (woo woo woo) and The Dudebusters (most awesomest tag team ever). The would be the most devastating stable ever.

Only if they brought in Mikey Whipwreck to manage them...