The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

WWE is about making money. Whites are easier to make money off of. Look at merxh sales. Who's on top? While there's talented people of other races they don't sell better. Del Rio had the Mexicans. Wrestling is primarily a white audience. Have to cater to your fan base

So all those years of guys like Ernie Ladd and JYD drawing in the Dirty South don't count?

EDIT: Oh, and Sputnik Monroe (a white guy) appealing so much to black audiences that he pretty much single-handedly forced the desegregation of sporting events in Memphis.

So all those years of guys like Ernie Ladd and JYD drawing in the Dirty South don't count?

EDIT: Oh, and Sputnik Monroe (a white guy) appealing so much to black audiences that he pretty much single-handedly forced the desegregation of sporting events in Memphis.

Im talking about WWE... Nothing else.

Lots of black guys have had success in the WWE: The Rock being the obvious and most successful example, but joined by fairly successful people like Booker T, Ron Simmons, Mark Henry, MVP, R-Truth, Kofi Kingston, etc. All of these have had good runs at the top or near-top of the card, and most if not all of them have moved merchandise at the top of their exposure.

No, seriously, I think the racial factor is no longer a thing in pro wrestling. And it never was in performance-based promotions.

I'm not quite convinced. "The New Day" gimmick, for example, is just a collection of African American stereotypes that seems designed to fall flat. Hideo Itami's entrance video features a goofy samurai font and faux-Japanese string music. Even Becky Lynch was saddled with a lame Irish riverdance gimmick for her first few appearances. Her Dropkick Murphy-esque entrance was just slightly better. If she hadn't debuted first, I'm sure that Finn Balor would have had the same cliche Irish gimmick.

As a whole, I think that wrestling needs to move away from using a worker's ethnicity or race as the basis of their gimmick and let them stand as individuals. This stuff is straight out of the 1980s.

I'm not quite convinced. "The New Day" gimmick, for example, is just a collection of African American stereotypes that seems designed to fall flat. Hideo Itami's entrance video features a goofy samurai font and faux-Japanese string music. Even Becky Lynch was saddled with a lame Irish riverdance gimmick for her first few appearances. Her Dropkick Murphy-esque entrance was just slightly better. If she hadn't debuted first, I'm sure that Finn Balor would have had the same cliche Irish gimmick.

As a whole, I think that wrestling needs to move away from using a worker's ethnicity or race as the basis of their gimmick and let them stand as individuals. This stuff is straight out of the 1980s.

One old man's mindset isn't indicative of the entire business

The way Brock took it is great for a one-off big angle, but if you're taking that move week-after-week, and actually wrestling matches, Cena's taking it correctly. Gotta protect yourself.

The thing is that isn't smashing his head to the mat but the fact that he jumps so high up to take the move. No one except Cena does that.

http://dailywrestlingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Curb-stomp-RAW-gifs-001.gifhttp://38.media.tumblr.com/b7359107a5321e015515c44f0f9b9b0d/tumblr_ng7zjzzhdv1s6y10ko1_400.gifhttp://38.media.tumblr.com/3f7d8802eb80b765b180fa085458452f/tumblr_ng7zjzzhdv1s6y10ko2_250.gifhttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/-C3rJUcvknFE/VG6RQIgi8aI/AAAAAAAABhE/WJqPIqM0lAA/s1600/seth_1.gif

<p>Raw was underwhelming. It had its moments but not enough for a 3 hour show. The Ambrose skits were legit funny. Steph and Heyman were good. Rollins standing tall in the contract signing and Brock's curbstomp sell were the best part of the show.</p><p> </p><p>

I finally caught the 10 minute Nikki vs Paige match from last week's Main Event and it was the best divas match in a long time outside of NXT. Nikki held her own and showed she can utilize basic wrestling psychology. I can understand why they didn't show this Raw where the crowds are programmed to crap on divas matches but they could have at least shown it on Smackdown.</p><p> </p><p>

This week's NXT was like a mini PPV. Balor vs Kidd was good, Neville vs Zayn was great. Corbin vs Bull was solid for a squash match. The weakest match was Charlotte & Nattie vs Team BAE and even that was decent.</p>

anyone here going to wrestlemania 31? and if so are you doing any events that week outside of wwe.. roh, wwn live experience wrestlecon etc?

wrestlecon saturday night before mania has rvd and sabu vs the hardys in the first match they had together since raw of 98.

and wwn live announced for night 2 of the king of the indies tournament a special attraction match (same time as wrestlecons show)

ultimo dragon vs juventud gurrera vs riccochet(prince puma of lucha underground)

<p>Smackdown was decent this week. Some minor re-branding to kick off the move to Thursday. Rollins and Heyman had a great segment together that might have planted the seeds for a future alliance if Brock leaves. The main event tag match was fun.</p><p> </p><p>

D-Bry pulled double duty and looked fit. Only 1 suicide dive so hopefully he'll phase out the dangerous moves or save them for big matches. I'm glad he's working with safe workers like Big Show, Kane and Rollins who won't put Bryan's neck at risk.</p><p> </p><p>

As for the Rumble, it's starting to feel like there a few genuine contenders, not just Roman Reigns Wins LOL. And the way Rollins has been booked lately he should be champion in the first half of 2015, hopefully before Reigns. But the Rumble still doesn't excite me as much as Aztec Warfare did. A Pinfall & Submission Gauntlet match is simply more interesting than a glorified Over-the-top Battle Royale, IMO.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Moe Hunter" data-cite="Moe Hunter" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Having read the latest NXT Taping spoilers, we're in for one hell of a good month coming up!</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The next NXT Takeover special is confirmed for February 11th. I haven't read the spoilers but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Zayn vs Neville vs Owens in the main event. I also expect Sasha to win the Womens Championship.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="milamber" data-cite="milamber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Good Daniel Bryan interview. He's pretty candid, even confirming the original plan for him to face Sheamus at Wrestlemania.<p> </p><p> <a href="http://www.alternativenation.net/daniel-bryan-interview/" rel="external nofollow">http://www.alternativenation.net/daniel-bryan-interview/</a></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It's crazy that WWE still felt Daniel Bryan didn't deserve the title around RR. He was red hot, and WWE, like normal ignored him.</p>