The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

You keep saying that..but his promotion completely changed the way wrestling promotions tried to present themselves and how far they were willing to go with thier characters and storytelling. Every new 'cutting edge' promotion that has come after him is basically doing a spin on his style.

he's like Qunetin Tarantino..yeah his best work was years ago but if his style and approach is still something people are copying, how can he possibly be "overrated?"

That's easy to answer. Heyman, just like Quentin, had his best work years ago. And it did change the perspective we had about movies and wrestling, in heyman's case. And that's why people are still doing a spin on his style. Because it was a revolutionary thing, and because people always try to squeeze all they can out of successful formulas. A good example are movies like the "Usual suspects". It was a film made long time ago, and to this day (Although that formula is already dry and tired) there are still people trying to use it, although it is pretty obvious that it has nothing left to offer, cause people are tired of it. So, althoug Heyman was a valuable asset back in the day he is overrated nowadays. I'm not saying what he did back then was overrated, i'm saying the thought that he could cause a revolution like that again is just outreageous. Don't expect great things from him, Sure, he can do much better then what they have now, but don't count with a messiah. And yes, it sure looks like some people think he would be a messiah. "Oh, Heyman going to TNA would be so great." is a sentence i hear a lot, not just here. It wouldn't be great. It COULD be good. But just like Tarantino is nowadays doing acceptable and good stuff (but not ground breaking), Heyman wouldn't probably go more far then that. Cause he is at the same level. again, i hope i'm wrong, and i really want TNA to succeed, so if they sign Heyman, i will suport him.

Possibly. It was pretty bad at times.

It wasn't great but got to see RVD/Sabu ladder match. Heel Heyman. Big Show I felt made the perfect heel then. CM Punk's rise. Hardcore Holly/RVD matches. Test for a while was doing something interesting. The Kevin Thorne gimmick that would of really caught on with Twilight being right around the corner.

Heel Heyman was atrocious! So the man who made the promotion what it was is now going against the people he "created" (the Originals)? Same reason why heel Vince bringing in the nWo to kill WWE was beyond dumb as well.

I disagree. Any of those storylines could have made it big time, if it they were just a little bit diferent.

I don't think anybody's outright calling Heyman the messiah of TNA, but rather that if a head creative spot freed and had to go to ANYONE, the best bet would be Paul E. You say he's overrated nowadays, but he'd have to be rated on something to be considered overrated. I don't think he had a voice anywhere after SD! 2003(which was awesomely booked as well).

But you gotta base on something to say he ain't got a chance. He's not guaranteed for success, but not on the other end of the spectrum either.

Unless you have someone better in mind.

and am I the only one who feels WWECW wasn't that bad under heyman?

Indeed, and even there Heyman had 30% of the voice when that started. Some of his ideas went through but Vince and Kevin Dunn always kept shooting his stuff down, and after the D2D disaster Vince had the audacity to point HIM with the finger for all the blame.

That's easy to answer. Heyman, just like Quentin, had his best work years ago. And it did change the perspective we had about movies and wrestling, in heyman's case. And that's why people are still doing a spin on his style. Because it was a revolutionary thing, and because people always try to squeeze all they can out of successful formulas. A good example are movies like the "Usual suspects". It was a film made long time ago, and to this day (Although that formula is already dry and tired) there are still people trying to use it, although it is pretty obvious that it has nothing left to offer, cause people are tired of it. So, althoug Heyman was a valuable asset back in the day he is overrated nowadays. I'm not saying what he did back then was overrated, i'm saying the thought that he could cause a revolution like that again is just outreageous. Don't expect great things from him, Sure, he can do much better then what they have now, but don't count with a messiah. And yes, it sure looks like some people think he would be a messiah. "Oh, Heyman going to TNA would be so great." is a sentence i hear a lot, not just here. It wouldn't be great. It COULD be good. But just like Tarantino is nowadays doing acceptable and good stuff (but not ground breaking), Heyman wouldn't probably go more far then that. Cause he is at the same level. again, i hope i'm wrong, and i really want TNA to succeed, so if they sign Heyman, i will suport him.

I just added som stuff, hence the quote.

Heyman's done nothing but a garbage promotion 10 years ago? Whaaaaaa?

His run on Smackdown was phenomenal. Yes, he was dealing with a pretty loaded roster but he made Chris Benoit a main eventer, helped re-introduce John Cena in a wildly successful gimmick, and made Brock Lesnar one of the biggest names in the sport.... all on a #2 show. He booked CM Punk in OVW where he won the title, then when Heyman came back to book ECW, he helped establish Punk, re-invigorated the careers of guys like Hardcore Holly, Test and the Big Show, and the list goes on. Honestly the biggest problem Heyman faced in the ECW return was all the aging smarks that wanted non-stop nostalgia.

Unlike some guys, who repeat the same ideas again and again and hope they eventually work, Heyman actually seems to have a grasp on what people will respond to and gives them that, based on the resources he has. I don't know that there's a better booker at making everyone on the roster serve a purpose or creating bona fide stars, two areas where TNA is sorely lacking.

Katie Lea Burchill, Micky James, Shelton Benjamin, Kung Funaki, Slam Master J and Jimmy Wang Yang released by the E. Source the E website as reported by 411.

First three could possibly be good additions imho.

Ouch. Add Mickie. Add Shelton only if he's reuniting with Angle and Haas.

The likes of Benjamin (even without Haas), Mickie (likely to pursue her music career), and Burchill could all do something in TNA. But only if their addition meant equal losses. Simply further bloating the roster does no good, as people top people cannot consistently get on TV as it is.

Katie Lea Burchill, Micky James, Shelton Benjamin, Kung Funaki, Slam Master J and Jimmy Wang Yang released by the E. Source the E website as reported by 411.

First three could possibly be good additions imho.

Ridiculous...they never gave shelton a proper push and now they release him...ridiculous...But him and mickie would be gould signings.

The likes of Benjamin (even without Haas), Mickie (likely to pursue her music career), and Burchill could all do something in TNA. But only if their addition meant equal losses. Simply further bloating the roster does no good, as people top people cannot consistently get on TV as it is.

Yeah there is one region where the possibly comes into. Allthough the KO division can use some strengthening after the loss of Kong, Flash and Roxxi. And what I have seen from Katie Lee she is pretty good in the ring and good looking.

watching the replay (Imissed the first 40 minutes on Mon) and I had to laugh.... Right before they put us in suspense over RVD vs Hardy they aired a commercial showing RVD after he beat AJ. Spoiled two of their own matches.

Also had a question.... wondering what everyone thinks of the short clips they throw in during commercials. I like them at first, but am finding them increasingly annoying.

Ridiculous...they never gave shelton a proper push and now they release him...ridiculous...But him and mickie would be gould signings.

oh come on now. they have tried, for years, 10 to be exact to push shelton to anything above UMC.

At some point, it comes down to a guy not having the "it" factor to main event. Shelton has never connected with the crowd. that's half the job.

He's had multiple gimmicks, and a multitude of air time. He doesn't connect with a live audience enough to ME, and nothing is going to change that.

He's a phenomenal athlete and a decent worker, but he has the charisma of a sponge.

I think he could be a good pickup for TNA though, he'd be lights out in the cage matches, and they could hide his lack of M/E ability there by letting him just be a crazy athlete and showcasing the X-division.

James would be the much better pickup though, she can really go, connects with the fans, and they need a good high energy face. Heck they could just steal the piggy james storyline, and do it better with the REAL beautiful people instead of mccool's lame rip off version

oh come on now. they have tried, for years, 10 to be exact to push shelton to anything above UMC.

I must have missed the part where Shelton was in WWE in 2000...

At some point, it comes down to a guy not having the "it" factor to main event. Shelton has never connected with the crowd. that's half the job.

If he hadn't busted his wrist after beating Triple H twice in a row in 2004, he would have been on a rocketship to the moon. They just never managed to repeat that Lightning in a Bottle with him.

It's kinda funny - a lot of the guys released this year are mainstays in my RW TEW games - Haas, Benjamin, Burchill, Helms, James...

I think shelton would fit in well with tna. He is about spots *although i don't want to use the term spot monkey on for him*. He can wrestle when allowed to but he is more about the omg moment i think. Look at the mitb matches. Most of the big spots involved shelton some how.

the x devision is still a spot devision. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. That is just what it is....shelton would be a good fit in t with other guys who know how to work that style of match.

Yeah there is one region where the possibly comes into. Allthough the KO division can use some strengthening after the loss of Kong, Flash and Roxxi. And what I have seen from Katie Lee she is pretty good in the ring and good looking.

as is Mickie LOL

both Katie and Mickie will be good for the KO division and like u said Mickie is a TNA original was on the first two shows and came back in 2003

as is Mickie LOL

both Katie and Mickie will be good for the KO division and like u said Mickie is a TNA original was on the first two shows and came back in 2003

Wouldn't sign Katie. She didn't accomplish anything in the WWE and the K.O. and TNA roster in general is bloated with guys to "prove themselves"

there is an opening on the KO roster for one person after the absence of Kong, and it should go to Mickie because she'd be the smarter choice.

I wouldn't even touch Benjamin or Paul Burchil, I fail to see what benefit they would bring. The roster has talent, and has name value. They'd be better pickings for a company like ROH.