The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

With Velvet, I really could care less if she could wrestle a lick. What she lacks in talent she more than makes up for in other areas.:D

And that's okay. In fact, that means you are their target audience. The problem I have is that when the division started, they were almost the opposite. They were the antithesis of the WWE Diva. Now, they're a cheap copy of the divas. Their top four workers are all plastic looking bottle blondes who would not look out of place on RAW or Smackdown.

Then why did Kim, Kong, Wilde, Sarita, Daffney etc have in my view better matches with the BP? And why did she have better matches against worse wrestlers in the E? Its not about look for me at all when it comes to her, I had just hoped for more from both a booking and in ring standpoint. Neither happened and it is a shame. Not knocking her talent just her run. Maybe age and injuries etc had effected her to a point where her in ring skills had become less.

Your view would probably differ from mine. And with you being a huge TNA fan (not an insult, just an observation), their original Knockouts style was very spot-heavy. Lisa can't do spot-heavy very well and Kong isn't allowed to (though she most definitely can) due to character. Thus, a spot monkey's dream would tend to fit TNA's basic style, which is relatively easy for a limited worker to do. I think if they had given her a more mat focused style to contrast with the flippity floppity of the rest of the division, it would've helped.

But I'm sincerely curious Hyde. Name some "good" matches the Beautiful People were in.

I really enjoyed the 6-man tag against ODB, Sarita & Taylor Wilde on... um... That PPV with the Joe/AJ/Daniels three-way. Technically not fantastic I guess, but it floated my boat.

You're right though. The Knockouts have gone away from the original 'variety pack' of girls, and that's a shame. The Beautiful People were a fun little team, but nothing to build a division around.

Now, I hate to disagree with a women's expert like Remi, but Velvet's relatively special IMO. She's more attractive than any of the WWE Divas, with the possible exception of Beth, and that's because I have a strange attraction to any woman who could break me in half.

But when it comes to the rest of the Beautiful People, not really. And their good women, they don't want to focus on. Ayoko's been on the show, what, once in the last few months? Who's Sarita again? Daffney seems to be their best "main event" knockout, but that's just 1.

And that's okay. In fact, that means you are their target audience. The problem I have is that when the division started, they were almost the opposite. They were the antithesis of the WWE Diva. Now, they're a cheap copy of the divas. Their top four workers are all plastic looking bottle blondes who would not look out of place on RAW or Smackdown.

Your view would probably differ from mine. And with you being a huge TNA fan (not an insult, just an observation), their original Knockouts style was very spot-heavy. Lisa can't do spot-heavy very well and Kong isn't allowed to (though she most definitely can) due to character. Thus, a spot monkey's dream would tend to fit TNA's basic style, which is relatively easy for a limited worker to do. I think if they had given her a more mat focused style to contrast with the flippity floppity of the rest of the division, it would've helped.

But I'm sincerely curious Hyde. Name some "good" matches the Beautiful People were in.

More as in less bad, anyways I agree that if they let LMV be a more mat wrestling orientated style and more strong style it would have really helped. Just saying I expected more from her run and it did not deliver in my view. Not saying that it was her fault but also not saying it was entirely the booking teams fault. Probably a lot more the creative and ra team but as we do not know the details we shall never know.

And when it pertains to spots yes I like spots, but I do not like spot monkey's. Red being the best example and that is just looking at his in ring style.

Edit: Again not knocking Lisa and you are the resident female expert just observing it was a disappointing run and it unfortunately did not work out as I and many others had hoped. Sometimes this happens.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Trashbear" data-cite="Trashbear" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>No, this a reference to a story that Lance Storm told on his website a few years ago about how a few of the boys joked that Lance and Victoria look like brother and sister. They started to play it up like they were actually related, and then they started doing the old "never in the same place at the same time" thing so they could try and play jokes on people about them actually being the same person.<p> </p><p> No X-Pac heat from me!</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> And they both got given dancing gimmicks!</p>

<p>TNA have announced that whoever wins the Top 10 Contenders vote will get a title shot this Monday; thing is...</p><p> </p><p>

There's literally less than a thousands votes between the two leaders: Jeff Hardy in 2nd and surprise surprise</p><p> </p><p>

Desmond</p><p> </p><p>

"McLariat"</p><p> </p><p>

Wolfe</p><p> </p><p>

Go vote for McLariat ok?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Celt" data-cite="The Celt" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>TNA have announced that whoever wins the Top 10 Contenders vote will get a title shot this Monday; thing is...<p> </p><p> There's literally less than a thousands votes between the two leaders: Jeff Hardy in 2nd and surprise surprise</p><p> </p><p> Desmond</p><p> </p><p> "McLariat"</p><p> </p><p> Wolfe</p><p> </p><p> Go vote for McLariat ok?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Not really a big surprise given TNA's large UK fanbase, The fact that he is a heel, has not faced RVD one on one and is an IWC darling who tend to vote more and earlier. Same with Abyss just having 2 percent as he is the no3 babyface for marks after RVD and Hardy, so with Hardy there why vote Abyss?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Celt" data-cite="The Celt" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Well other faces like Kurt Angle, The Pope and Jarrett are also in the running, so I'm not sure if that logical quite works out.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Angle less votes because of the time off and also bigger star then Abyss, Pope is Pope! And was recent no1 contender, Jarrett gets sympathy votes. I just would not read to much into Abyss not getting that many votes as some online have done.</p>

<p>Back to the Knockouts. I really didn't expect much from Tara/Victoria/LMV when I heard she was coming to TNA. I've always liked her but I knew that she was really getting up there in age for a woman wrestler. She had a pretty good feud with Daffney and I wish that had continued because they were putting on some pretty good matches as well.</p><p> </p><p>

It's sad to see any Knockout go but out of all of them Tara is the oldest and less bankable when it comes to longevity. Sure they can build her up to be a huge star but for what except for her to retire in a few years. I say cut the ties with Tara and build up the others. </p><p> </p><p>

Taylor Wilde - She has talent and the look she just needs to be pushed. The crowd really gets behind her. But what's her gimmick?</p><p> </p><p>

Sarita - I'm glad they teamed her with Taylor. She has alot of charisma and some amazing moves. </p><p> </p><p>

ODB - She is one of the only Knockouts with a story. She is a drunk! That's great though it gets stale at times. Pretty decent in the ring. TONS of charisma and she is a crowd pleaser!</p><p> </p><p>

Daffney: She has had the same gimmick/character for 20 years! She is a screamer...we get it...not great in the ring...but put her up against someone like Tara and she shines. She shouldn't be the focus of the division though.</p><p> </p><p>

Hamada: Awww yes the lone wolf here! By far the most talented Knockout when it comes to ring ability. She is so good...I'm not for sure why she is even in TNA. Excellent wrestler but no character. She needs a gimmick.</p><p> </p><p>

Angelina Love - She is by far my favorite Knockout. Pretty decent in the ring and pretty good charisma. Everytime she is in the ring she tells a story. Excellent Heel and not to bad as a face either. I think she should be the focus of the division. Great crowd response also since she has returned.</p><p> </p><p>

Madison Rayne - I'm very split with Madison. She is a good wrestler but at times she gets lost. She has her character down to a tee though.</p><p> </p><p>

Velvet Sky - Mic skills are good but damn her voice and her screaming is annoying. Not that good in the ring and she is a 5 move wonder. But she is pretty and like Madison she has her character down to a tee as well.</p><p> </p><p>

Lacey Von Erich - I'm probably the only one that thinks this but this is the girl to watch out for in the next couple of years. In my opinion this girl has got the it factor. She is beautiful! She is pretty good on the mic and the crowd loves to hate her however she isn't great in the ring. She makes some mistakes but she is still very young and green. It's interesting to point out that she has had less then 6 months training under her belt while in FCW so of course she is green. I'm glad that she is training now and I really think that in a couple years this girl could turn out to be like Trish Stratus. I didn't say she was the next Trish I said she could be like Trish lol</p><p> </p><p>

I would love to see Gail Kim leave WWE and come back to TNA and the return of Roxxi would be really nice as well. I say pass on Mickie James and go with Katie Lea.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Slagaholic" data-cite="Slagaholic" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>When people talk down about Lacey Von Erich they don't realize he's very very green. I think she'll end up being the next huge female wrestling star in the US. She has a desire to improve, has the charisma, has the looks, and has the genes.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I agree Lacey has got it! She just needs some training. When she first started TNA the crowd showed their displeasure of her and the internet forums were busting her left and right and the whole time she kept it together. I remember when she tripped on the ramp while running down to interfere and the crowd booed. She got right back up, shaked it off and acted like it never happened. </p><p> </p><p> She is not horrible in the ring by any means! I can name a few Divas who are much worse and who've had much more training. This girl might be a generic looking bleach blonde but she is a Von Erich and I think she is going to accomplish big things!</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Hyde Hill" data-cite="Hyde Hill" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Not really a big surprise given TNA's large UK fanbase, The fact that he is a heel, has not faced RVD one on one and is an IWC darling who tend to vote more and earlier. Same with Abyss just having 2 percent as he is the no3 babyface for marks after RVD and Hardy, so with Hardy there why vote Abyss?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Hyde Hill" data-cite="Hyde Hill" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Angle less votes because of the time off and also bigger star then Abyss, Pope is Pope! And was recent no1 contender, Jarrett gets sympathy votes. I just would not read to much into Abyss not getting that many votes as some online have done.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I don't think people would shy away from voting Angle just because he wants to take some time off. After Pope got robbed, why wouldn't people want to see him get another shot?</p><p> </p><p> Jarrett and Abyss getting incredibly low votes is entirely accurate in the representation of how the fans feel about them. They are being pushed way higher than their actual overness. Even if it was just Abyss and Hardy, I would vote Hardy, and I don't even like Hardy. Abyss is plain awful.</p><p> </p><p> I like Wolfe, but I have to say I voted for Anderson, just because I'm voting honestly. I do however wholeheartedly believe in the strategy of voting for Wolfe just so that Hardy doesn't steal the whole poll. Watch TNA's "championship committee" make their weight tip the scales in Hardy's favour still, though.</p><p> </p><p> BTW, I would really like to see Angle vs RVD. It was the match that put Angle in TNA to begin with, after all!</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="stratusfaction" data-cite="stratusfaction" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>She is not horrible in the ring by any means!</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I would disagree, but maybe it comes down to perspective.</p><p> </p><p> Six months out of APW Boot Camp, Melissa was far superior to Lacey. Go rent the 'Future Legend' DVD (or any of APW's DVDs from that period) and see for yourself. Then again, Melissa was wrestling MEN (Robert Thompson, among others) so maybe that made a difference.</p><p> </p><p> Lacey Von Erich has a significant barrier she has to break through. What barrier is that? The one she sees in the mirror. Generally speaking, the women wrestlers who rely on their looks early on, tend to do so for their entire career. Their skills don't get them booked or hired, their looks do, so their skills never get the level of work or polish that their looks tend to. Once you get pigeonholed into that 'diva' category, you can't break out. When you think of the best women's wrestlers, almost none of them fit that basic template (bottle blonde, often with hooters) that Lacey...and Angelina...and Velvet...and Madison...and Shantelle...and Maryse...all do. MsChif? Nope! Hamada? No. Sara del Rey? Nope. Mercedes Martinez? No. Melissa? Hells no. Sarah Stock? Nope! LuFisto? Hahahaha, no. She'll learn to work that overly simplistic, low impact SE style decently...and nothing else. But assuming she only wants to work for TNA or WWE, that's probably all she needs.</p><p> </p><p> Besides, just because there are people who are worse than her, doesn't mean she's automatically not bad (or horrible). It just means, she's not the worst. No more than the Nets season mean they weren't a bad team just because they didn't break the league record for futility.</p>

Lacey's f'n awful in the ring.

AWFUL

The fac tthat she looks like that and has that last name but isn't working for the E means that a) they think she's a legitimate danger to others (which is saying a lot if you look at that pile of hot mess they call a women's division) or b) she's a giant pain in the ass to work with (which seems possible considering the rumors and interviews she gave when Angelina was having visa issues).

Which is why she's worked about 5 minutes in the ring her entire time in TNA.

She's still very very green, and you can't just write off her entire career because she's awful in her what...2nd year wrestling? C'mon!

No but she is so awful in and out of ring and reportedly backstage that she deserves no air time at this point in time. Love and Sky cover pretty much the same fanbase lookwise and are both better/less bad. The BP where intended as a foil for the rest of the KO's and representing what the KO division was not about. Not as the centrepiece of the division. The BP worked best when it was just Love and Skye as they had good chemistry together in promo's etc. LVE should just go for now and Madison while decent is not better or more over then a lot of independent and recently released, by WWE and TNA, talent. So in my book if you have to have the BP's around reunite Skye and Love and dump those two and make room for others.

Which is why she's worked about 5 minutes in the ring her entire time in TNA.

She's still very very green, and you can't just write off her entire career because she's awful in her what...2nd year wrestling? C'mon!

Not writing off her career. But in sports terms she's a project.

I mean..she's one of those Hasheem Thabeet projects where she's got all the physical gifts to be a star, and she's incredibly raw, so there's definitely tremendous upside potential.

But there's just as much of a chance she never gets her act together.

Considering the personality she's shown thus far and the incredibly sad, dysfunctional, and violent family she's come from (and I know this isn't a nice thing to say but it's true) there's a prett goody chance she's not easy to deal with.

Hope for the best, I suppose.

No but she is so awful in and out of ring and reportedly backstage that she deserves no air time at this point in time. Love and Sky cover pretty much the same fanbase lookwise and are both better/less bad. The BP where intended as a foil for the rest of the KO's and representing what the KO division was not about. Not as the centrepiece of the division. The BP worked best when it was just Love and Skye as they had good chemistry together in promo's etc. LVE should just go for now and Madison while decent is not better or more over then a lot of independent and recently released, by WWE and TNA, talent. So in my book if you have to have the BP's around reunite Skye and Love and dump those two and make room for others.

No way - surely TNA's ultimate ambition is to have KO's graduating from The Beautiful People to become seen as legitimate wrestlers? Love going back would be a huge kick in the teeth, and it's not as if there isn't a large list of people who can take a BP role.

Oh when will the Bubba Era end???

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/137860/Bubba-The-Love-Sponge-Discusses-His-TNA-Termination.htm

Credit: Richard Trionfo and Pwinsider.com

Bubba the Love Sponge discussed his recent termination from Total Nonstop Action Wrestling on his radio show on Monday morning.

The show's discussion started with an audio clip of local news coverage of the firing which detailed the incident in January as well as the phone confrontation between Bubba and Awesome Kong on the Cowhead Show (which airs on the same station in Tampa that carries Bubba's show) that took place last week.

Bubba noted how the incident with Awesome Kong started over his comments about the relief programs for Haiti after an Earthquake caused significant damage in January. He discussed the way that the relief has been distributed to the people and how a lot has not been given to the people and he said that he "looks right" about Haiti.

In regard to his firing from TNA, Bubba said that it was because he was "racially insensitive" for calling Awesome Kong a "dumb black bi**h." Bubba asked how that was ‘racial' when TNA has a character called "The Black Pope" [Note: While D'Angelo Dinero has used that term online, TNA has never referred to him under that nickname], has a character who is "openly gay throwing milk on himself as if it is sperm" (Orlando Jordan), has booked Chelsea ‘dry humping Black Pope', has a wrestler called "Black Machismo", and has a wrestler named Awesome Kong. [although Kong is no longer with the company.]

Bubba said that Dixie sent him an e-mail regarding the firing and there was discussion of having zero tolerance for racial insensitivity. He said that Dixie has advertisers, investors, and a board to answer to.

Bubba commented, "nobody watches TNA" while wondering why he got fired for what he did on the radio. He noted it was not on TNA programming and suggested that Awesome Kong and her fans organized Bubba's firing from TNA.

During the segment, Bubba called Dixie a "mark" and wondered if Dixie listened to the Cowhead Show segment because Dixie "makes most of her decisions from marks". He talked about how she uses the internet to make decisions and then wondered if Vince McMahon listened to the internet to make decisions. Bubba then said that "TNA is run like marks" and suggested that Vince Russo, Eric Bischoff, Hulk Hogan, Terry Taylor, or Ed Ferrara should run the wrestling product.

Bubba said that they should "fire me because I suck or the product sucks", but not because people Tweet Dixie Carter. He wondered how Kong could say "kiss my black a**" on the radio, but Bubba is considered the ‘racially insensitive' one. He said that "Dixie hires and fires based on the internet."

Bubba also wondered why Dixie still followed Kong's Twitter account after she was no longer with the company while Dixie never followed his Twitter account. Bubba called Dixie a "mark b***h".

Bubba said that he doesn't care if he is part of TNA because it is "below him." Bubba said that he was flipping off TNA with both hands while saying "thanks for the money." Bubba again said that the "product sucks."

One of the people on Bubba's show wondered how they could complain about Bubba being ‘racially insensitive' when they have a wrestler called Awesome Kong when ‘Kong' is usually associated with King Kong. [They did not mention on the show that Kong was known as ‘Amazing Kong' before she signed with TNA, so the name existed long before TNA hired her]. Bubba mentioned that he did not want to be considered a racist when he talked to her on the Cowhead Show by calling her by her real name.

Bubba discussed where he stands with Hulk Hogan and he said that he did not know. He said that Hogan told him to "take the high road". The situation may effect their friendship because Hogan will probably have to distance himself from Bubba. One of the people on his show asked Bubba "what did Terry do for him?" Bubba said that he did not sue over the Kong beating incident in January because of his friendship with Hogan. Bubba did say that his attorney had discussed the situation with him and they are now looking into the possibility of seeking damages against TNA at this time.

Bubba asked if he deserved to be hit three times for his comments about Haiti in January. He said that the people in TNA "shuffled it off like nothing happened." Bubba said that he would play the clip of the Hogan phone call the day after the incident when Hogan was laughing about it. Bubba read an e-mail that suggested that he should have challenged Kong immediately, but Bubba wondered how he would have looked if he did confront her physically at that point.

Bubba said that he has not mobilized his Bubba Army to deal with the firing, but said that a "modern day war" is going on. Bubba then read a number of e-mails that attacked him and were glad that he got fired from TNA. One of the cast members on Bubba's show, Brent, called people who follow wrestling "morons." They also wondered why so many people cared about Bubba being fired by TNA.

Bubba called Dixie a "mark a**" before commenting on a column written by Kevin Eck of The Baltimore Sun that discussed the Kong/Bubba telephone call on the Cowhead Show. Bubba wondered why Kong was now being portrayed as the victim in this entire situation. Bubba said that if he read the article and did not hear the radio interview, he would probably have fired himself as well. Bubba commented that Eck wrote "During the verbal exchange, BTLS called her a word that cannot appear on a family Web site seven times and also made remarks that had racial overtones" in his column. Bubba and his staff mentioned that they would have assumed that Bubba called Kong "the ‘n' word" those seven times based on that working.

Bubba also commented on Eck's bias against him and in favor of Dixie Carter because he started off his column saying "Before I get into this, let me first say that I would like nothing better than to never have to type the words "Bubba The Love Sponge" ever again. One, because I hate giving him or any shock jock publicity when they say outrageous and venomous things because that is exactly what they want; and two, because he is a crony who only has a job in pro wrestling because of who he has latched himself onto" and then wrote "I like TNA president Dixie Carter, and the consensus among everyone I know who knows her is that she is a classy person with a good heart" about Dixie.

Bubba said that he believed that Eck's column was the reason why he was fired from TNA. Bubba then played the confrontation on the Cowhead Show between him and Awesome Kong.

After playing the audio, Bubba said that he is "not going to miss the bull crap at TNA" but said that he met some great people in TNA. Bubba pointed out Sting, Jay Lethal, Jeff Jarrett, Jeremy Borash, Kurt Angle, Eric Bischoff, Scott Hall, and Kevin Nash among those he liked in TNA. It was actually a group of about thirty people. Bubba commented they "should get as much money as they can" from TNA.

Bubba took a number of calls from listeners and most of them were supportive of Bubba's position. They said that they only watched TNA because of Bubba. One of the callers said to watch the ratings drop now that Bubba is gone.

Bubba said that Dixie's decision to fire him was "knee-jerk" and that TNA will "feel the wrath of Bubba." Bubba said that he is "not going to go out as the racist b***h they are portraying him as." They ended the discussion by going back to Dixie's mention of how she had to answer to advertisers and commented, "nobody is going to advertise because it is a horrible product."

Bubba the Love Sponge's radio show is based in Tampa on 102.5 ‘The Bone' and is syndicated in a number of markets.

Kevin Eck's column about the Bubba/Awesome Kong incident can be found here.