The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

watching the video of the brawl again, I thought it was a little funny that they mention the "ECW 4" when refering to Dreamer, Rhino, Richards, and Raven.

lets all forget that Raven, Rhino and Richards all wrestled for TNA within the last year

I had a feeling that the under 10,000 PPV buys was a pretty legit number. If I was TNA I'd be crying when those numbers came in. They have 1.4 million people watching their TV show and they're not even getting 1% of their audience to purchase the PPVs. That's a pretty big red flag wouldn't you say?

watching the video of the brawl again, I thought it was a little funny that they mention the "ECW 4" when refering to Dreamer, Rhino, Richards, and Raven.

lets all forget that Raven, Rhino and Richards all wrestled for TNA within the last year

They hadn't been on TV in months and all of those guys are most well known because of their work in ECW.

I had a feeling that the under 10,000 PPV buys was a pretty legit number. If I was TNA I'd be crying when those numbers came in. They have 1.4 million people watching their TV show and they're not even getting 1% of their audience to purchase the PPVs. That's a pretty big red flag wouldn't you say?

I'd say so, if i were them i'd go with Slag's plan.

8 Free events a year running against WWE programming, 4 PPV's to make it more likely that hardcore fans will treat them like I do SS and WM (I.E actually purchase them because they aren't saturating the market and the PPV's are important.)

Proof positive that TNA needs to stop running monthly PPVs. 4 PPVs a year Genesis, Lockdown, Slammiversary, and Bound For Glory. Try to convince SpikeTV to allow them to run 8 monthly specials in place of PPVs. Hell if TNA dropped PPVs altogether and went with just specials on Spike they'd be far better off.

The pro wrestling market has changed since a lot the attitude era. There is now stiff competition every single month on pay-per-view with UFC and the occasional boxing PPV. Wrestling is tailor made for TV, the goal for any company nowadays really should be to get a deal similar to what TNA has with SpikeTV who not only give them a prime time slot but pay them a whole lot of money for the honor.

When you're the 3rd (and sometimes 4th) choice for PPV buyers in a recession you can't be shocked at poor buy rates. What do you do then? Well you give the fans PPVs for free.

Totally agree with this.

If they aren't your primary source of income, and the PPVs are this bad from a buyrate perspective, then just put your best matches out there for free and trust that the longterm benefit of gaining new fans will pay off eventually.

Proof positive that TNA needs to stop running monthly PPVs. 4 PPVs a year Genesis, Lockdown, Slammiversary, and Bound For Glory. Try to convince SpikeTV to allow them to run 8 monthly specials in place of PPVs. Hell if TNA dropped PPVs altogether and went with just specials on Spike they'd be far better off.

The pro wrestling market has changed since a lot the attitude era. There is now stiff competition every single month on pay-per-view with UFC and the occasional boxing PPV. Wrestling is tailor made for TV, the goal for any company nowadays really should be to get a deal similar to what TNA has with SpikeTV who not only give them a prime time slot but pay them a whole lot of money for the honor.

When you're the 3rd (and sometimes 4th) choice for PPV buyers in a recession you can't be shocked at poor buy rates. What do you do then? Well you give the fans PPVs for free.

Very valid points, I would not mind them cutting down to four PPV's a year (maybe then I would actually buy one). And I love the idea of the specials, reminds me very much of the old Clash of the Champions.

Totally agree with this.

If they aren't your primary source of income, and the PPVs are this bad from a buyrate perspective, then just put your best matches out there for free and trust that the longterm benefit of gaining new fans will pay off eventually.

Absolutely. I knew their buyrates were bad, but if they are really as bad as reported, I think altering their schedule is the best way to go for the moment.

Yep but as of now they have to fur fill their contracts to the ppv providers and I have no info when those run out. So until that time it is kind of a moot point. Hmmm I think I have said this before lolz.

And yes Rhino and Raven and Richards have been on TNA television and as pointed out have been off of it lately but it is also by associations and actions. They are presenting themselves as being apart of TNA atm and they have a strong past with ECW so it is logical enough.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Final Countdown" data-cite="The Final Countdown" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I didn't really care about the ECW thing at first, but Dreamer's interview piqued my interest. That felt like a real, from-the-heart moment.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Same really. Now that the angle and Hard Justice are being sold as a send-off for 'extreme' wrestling (booked by Dreamer by all accounts), I'm more invested in it than some sort of hardcore invasion storyline. Sure many of the wrestlers involved are far removed from their best days, but as a one off emotionally charged final show, I'm in.</p>

I have quit watching wrestling all together, but got word of this special. Read about it a little and will definitely order now. I am glad they are doing it. It wasn't specifically stated, but for me this will be redemption in a way. I'm glad that my last memory of ECW won't be some stupid WWE piece of crap.

Would this TNA-produced PPV have clips of the moments of the past of the original ECW? And could they sell PPVs when WWE money maker Jeff Hardy hasn't brought in increased viewers on Thursday or Monday night for that matter. And it appears their buy rates the last two PPVs with RVD as a champion is mind boggling.

Would this TNA-produced PPV have clips of the moments of the past of the original ECW? And could they sell PPVs when WWE money maker Jeff Hardy hasn't brought in increased viewers on Thursday or Monday night for that matter. And it appears their buy rates the last two PPVs with RVD as a champion is mind boggling.

You know this got me thinking, I do alot of workshops in business as part of my job. We often talk about "moving product from shelf" or "pull through". We tell our sales team that their job is to sell in the product and secure a good position on shelf. I convert that to wrestling and TNA's sales team have done a great job. They've signed all of these good well known brands (workers) and secured them on a platform everyone can access and see (their TV deal). Now in our business we say that if all of those things are done and the product still isn't selling it's usually for one reason.... marketing! The marketing team need to build that campaign and create excitement and awarness. Otherwise all of those previous things I mentioned are a waste, TNA could have all the stars in the World and even get a better TV deal but they will not see a turn around until their marketing department get a clue. Granted, the booking doesn't help :p

FFS...I'm starting to get tired of the buyrates thing in this thread.

And no..they can't use any old ECW clips as the WWE owns them all.

Granted, the booking doesn't help :p

The booking has been pretty damn good for like 3 months now.

...why is Bubba wearing an LAX shirt? :confused:

... why are any of the things that ever happen on TNA happening? :confused:

I'm serious, I recently took my latest look at TNA which I do maybe every 3-6months just to make sure it hasn't gotten awesome when I wasn't paying attention and I just didn't know what the point of anything was.

Why? Even though the numbers aren't from TNA themselves its worth talking about. If its even close to what's being reported then they're still not even getting 1% of the weekly viewing audience to purchase the monthly show. Why should that be ignored in a thread specifically made for discussion on all things TNA?

I don't care what any smark says; when Dixie Carter confirmed to the crowd that the ECW guys would get to do one last PPV, that crowd POP'd.

It's there own private arena at an amusement park, That crowd pop's huge for everything.

there told when to pop. I went once, and they tell you to be as loud and rowdy as possible for your free tickets while your there, which I was super on board with because im getting the privilege of seeing some high level wrestling entertainment for free.

It's a free wrestling show at an amusement park, and it's an awesome time. I had an absolute blast. But i was more happy to be seeing a wrestling event for free as a break from the lines for the other rides i'd been in all vacation than really interested in what ever guy i was being told to mark out for at the time.

Just saying, the impact zone's reaction is not exactly something you can make a judgment on. They pop'd huge for the NwO reunion to, and look how well that went.

I hope this angle goes well, because I'm an ECW fan, but i don't think the impact zone's reaction will be the indicator of it's success or failure. It all comes down to There TV ratings.

And no..they can't use any old ECW clips as the WWE owns them all.

The booking has been pretty damn good for like 3 months now.

If you say so Pete. WWE has been just as bad, but i don't recall them Ending a show with a striptease angle or doing a Falsely accused of rape leading to "owning" the Women for a month because she "deserved it for crying wolf" angle in the last 3 months.

Pretty much the only booking I've liked is RVD's title run and some of the Tag team fueds. Oh, and Jay lethal, because he's GOLD :D