The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

To me Daniels is a great wrestler but like tristram said he just does not have that intangible "it" which would make him a star. He could have a brief run as a transitional world champion but that is about it. Plus, he is old for a wrestler (late 30's-early 40's) and he has never headlined in a major American national promotion to my knowledge (ROH is not a major national promotion).

I can't describe what it is, but I don't know if he quite... has the look?

Personally, I think he should lose the eyeliner..he hasn't incorporated religion or darkness into his gimmick for quite some time, so it seems a little silly to still be using it. It's one of those things where you don't really notice that it's eyeliner, and yet..it still makes them look weird. A bit of a "I can't put my finger on it, but this guy looks a tad off" deal.

If that's what you were taught, I don't know what to tell you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic.

In case you don't believe wiki, the Columbia guide to American English says: "Americans pronounce this Latin word meaning 'thus' ... to disassociate themselves from errors in a text they're quoting." Still better than your Spanish. ;)

Yeah well, remember I'm in my late thirties. When I would have learned [sic] was before students were using spell check on a regular basis. That's probably when the powers that be switched it to the current context.

And now BHK, back, to complete a more direct tangent. :)

lol - dude, seriously. You said it all yourself in those words I just bolded. You have entirely read way too much into it than you ought to have, if I'm not mistaken, this is a TNA discussion, not a pick a forum poster's opinion apart. And that's what I thought was going on, a basic discussion. In respect to "You're preaching to the choir. I'm the guy who was accused of being of a workrate junkie in 2000 but yet marked hard for Ernest Miller. I'm the guy who's always defended That 70's Guy gimmick of Mike Awesome's because he played it like he lived it.", no disrespect intended, that's nice and all, but I really don't try to, nor do I really care to, try and make a grasp as to what your take on things are. Nor do I intend to preach to you. Again, I, like the other posters, am merely remarking on TNA.

Okay, dude. Let's try this. I could melt down again over the still somewhat snide appearance of your opening and foam at the mouth more. But that would only extend things. And that's not what anybody needs.

But could you please try chilling out as I defined it? Could you work on self-editing a little for me please? I was just conceding to Lazorbeak last night that you might not have been TRYING to condescend to me and insult my intelligence or the era of my youth. Problem with that is you said it in dead text. Dead text alone can't always convey things lie tone and spirit of the message properly. Read at a distance, the tone that came through on the screen contradicted what you apparently intended. Some better word choice, a little tact on your end would have saved this detour. We've both shown how easy it is to go off half-caulked online. Sometimes even without first even meaning to.

You're trying to make my own case better lol. Thanks, I appreciate it. So you can see my point, but have taken it, somehow, personally? I think you and I are going to have to agree to disagree - you are wanting to misread something that is clearly not intended, so lets let the other folks talk TNA as they, and I, had intended.

Not a problem, man. Glad I could help even in the midst of melting down. I gotta be honest there. That's a pretty hard trick to pull off. :)

But yeah, once I cut through all the muddied water, I can see what you're saying. And I don't think it's a matter of having to agree to disagree as much as you're implying. That Ernest Miller and Mike Awesome stuff. All that was saying is "Okay. Thrill the teen boys all you want. But could I have a little something to hold onto while you do please?" That's what I was saying in the original post you appeared to object to. I was asking for the balance you seemed to think I was railing against.

And you know, now that I think about it, there's an even better extension of your point than the one I made last night. Although I stand by it. The Beautiful People's relationship with Slick Johnson anybody? That mud wrestling bit didn't exactly happen in a vaccuum. It could be pointed to as expansion on the character development with Slick. Which in turn could serve as that something for me and the like minded to hold onto

Anywho, I was boiling over because you seemed to be telling me what I thought, why it was wrong and trying to disabuse me of it. All in error. I don't let ANYBODY get away with that without having to re-solidify me. Probably 90% of the rare blowups I've had with my mom have been over that. That to me is the height of arrogance. And like I said last night, I don't suffer even the perception of arrogance well. Just work on that self-editing for me and that should be all the help I need not over-estimating your ego and repeating this performance.

:: prays to God the next time he feels compelled to respond here isn't related to booking theory ::

Personally, I think he should lose the eyeliner..he hasn't incorporated religion or darkness into his gimmick for quite some time, so it seems a little silly to still be using it. It's one of those things where you don't really notice that it's eyeliner, and yet..it still makes them look weird. A bit of a "I can't put my finger on it, but this guy looks a tad off" deal.

Wait a minute, what is Daniels's gimmick right now?

Yeah well, remember I'm in my late thirties. When I would have learned [sic] was before students were using spell check on a regular basis. That's probably when the powers that be switched it to the current context.

I hate to continue a tangent, but I have to reply to the above as I found it pretty infuriating as a former editor - there's been no switching of context, whoever taught you your definition of sic is simply flat-out incorrect. It means one thing, and always has. Latin terms don't tend to suddenly get new meanings.

Wait a minute, what is Daniels's gimmick right now?

Well, at the moment, he's kinda doing what Chris Harris was doing before he left, complaining about being held down and not being given as many oppurtunities as Styles. In his first few months back, he didn't exactly have a gimmick, he acted like a regular dude. Honestly, Daniels hasn't done his "Evil Preacher" shtick that he was apparantly doing in the EWR days, since I've started watching. (in 2006)

Well, at the moment, he's kinda doing what Chris Harris was doing before he left, complaining about being held down and not being given as many oppurtunities as Styles. In his first few months back, he didn't exactly have a gimmick, he acted like a regular dude. Honestly, Daniels hasn't done his "Evil Preacher" shtick that he was apparantly doing in the EWR days, since I've started watching. (in 2006)

Heck, I started watching towards the end of 2004 and Daniels didn't have the evil preacher gimmick that he's supposedly famous for doing.

I think his awful feud with Sting was the last time he went for the whole 'gothic heel' gimmick, but that was in 2007 I think. The original evil preacher gimmick was very early ROH, as I recall. In TNA his gimmick was mostly "****y guy who is a good wrestler" while he palled around with Low Ki and Skipper or feuded for the X-division title.

Daniels should be nowhere near the Main Event. He should be that guy you send out at to start the show with a fast pace x-division match with someone like Lethal to make the crowd hot. He lacks the personality or even the freak factor needed to be a Main Eventer. I just don’t see people paying for a PPV to see him in Title Match (or at least not as many that would for at least 10 others in TNA).

Meh I like Daniels and for me he does potentially have the "it" factor but they need to play it out more not going full ROH evil preacher but a bit edgier darker and meaner Daniels could work. And yeah this show was more an "entertainment" show then a "wrestling" show but given that the turkey tournament dominated the last one it was a kinda good off set. Plus generally the ppv's and house shows really deliver in the wrestling aspect. And that is what TNA is using the tv for mainly to promote those and their talent. I still think they should go from 5 to ten for the lesser matches and 10 to 15 for the ME as that would give the perfect balance but hey so far I have been entertained and nothing overly ridiculous is happening or being booked. Just watch a show of two years ago or even one year ago and the quality has certainly improved imho.

As far as going family friendly with Hogan coming in etc I wouldn't do that I would go more toned down "attitude era" (blood, cursing, innuendo, darker storylines.) so to speak as to not be too offensive but more gritty then the E. Other way around it is what I proposed in my soon to restart (, dam Dragon Age,) TNA diary is to make the now defunct Saturday morning replay a edited PG version of a live Thursday Impact and have a choice to order the PPV PG or normal when not watching it live. You can either shorten the time of the show or throw in some stuff they tape for the net anyways or more highlight stuff and stuff like those Q and A's they ran with talent.

Hulk Hogan tells the UK Sun that he really pissed off WWE CEO Vince McMahon when he held his TNA press conference at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

"I don't think he's too happy. Knowing Vince the way I do and holding the press conference at Madison Square Garden...I know some people in house at the WWE and I know he didn't respond favourably. There's been nobody in the Garden for about 100 years really except Vince, his dad, his grandfather and his great grandfather promoting events and I kind of slipped in there and made the press conference for TNA. Then the other night I announced we're going head to head with WWE on Monday nights."

Hogan also hyped TNA's live 3-hour Monday Night iMPACT! special January 4th, which he says could re-ignite the Monday Night Wars and begin a new era in the pro wrestling industry. "I can't imagine what's going to happen when the Monday night wars start again but it's great because it gives the fans a choice and the talent room to negotiate and have somewhere else to go."

Oh well. I thought that she had a lot of potential when she first started in the WWE, but she never got any better IMO.

Actually I'd argue she had improved significantly during her time in TNA and the indies, but she still wasn't exactly going to get a push ahead of the rest of the Knockouts. Also considering this is presumably related to her knee injury, if she stays in the business for awhile I wouldn't be surprised if she came back. Remember how long LuFisto stayed retired? Not saying it's the same situation, but it wouldn't surprise me to see her come back to the ring considering her age.

I thought that tonight's Impact was really good. I would have liked the six women tag match to go longer, just because the match to me was really good even though it was very short.

Looking at the people who are in the Feast or Fired match, I think Cody Deaner should be the one who gets fired. Christopher Daniels has to be happy that he is not in the match, because he can't be "fired" for the third year in a row.

I thought that tonight's Impact was really good. I would have liked the six women tag match to go longer, just because the match to me was really good even though it was very short.

Looking at the people who are in the Feast or Fired match, I think Cody Deaner should be the one who gets fired. Christopher Daniels has to be happy that he is not in the match, because he can't be "fired" for the third year in a row.

I really have to disagree as far as firing Deaner goes. My feeling is it should be either Bashir or Kiyoshi. Neither one of those guys has been able to bring anything to World Elite since the group started. Deaner has much more potential to be useful. Why they haven't put him in a young dog/old dog team with Jethro Holiday yet is beyond me. Deaner has the personality to make Holiday interesting in the SE sense and Holiday could help Deaner brush up his ring skills. But Bashir's been garbage ever since the beef with Shane Sewell ended and Kiyoshi's totally wasted. Fire one of them and give the rest of World Elite a rallying point. Would make the coming clash between Beer Money and the British Invasion all the more heated and compelling if the Brits had something in their craw as well

I agree, I think Deaner is a goner. But Kiyoshi would make the most sense; Bashir hasn't been worth much lately but I always liked him. So with Hemme taking over some of the interviewing, did that bit with Lauren walking out pissed mean she's off TV? Because she's smoking hot, and that would be a shame.

I really have to disagree as far as firing Deaner goes. My feeling is it should be either Bashir or Kiyoshi. Neither one of those guys has been able to bring anything to World Elite since the group started. Deaner has much more potential to be useful. Why they haven't put him in a young dog/old dog team with Jethro Holiday yet is beyond me. Deaner has the personality to make Holiday interesting in the SE sense and Holiday could help Deaner brush up his ring skills. But Bashir's been garbage ever since the beef with Shane Sewell ended and Kiyoshi's totally wasted. Fire one of them and give the rest of World Elite a rallying point. Would make the coming clash between Beer Money and the British Invasion all the more heated and compelling if the Brits had something in their craw as well

I agree, I think Deaner is a goner. But Kiyoshi would make the most sense; Bashir hasn't been worth much lately but I always liked him. So with Hemme taking over some of the interviewing, did that bit with Lauren walking out pissed mean she's off TV? Because she's smoking hot, and that would be a shame.

Yeah I could see Kiyoshi or Bashir going. And you know what? It really would not be all that big of a loss as neither one of them is really doing anything. In fact the whole World Elite stable is kind of stale to me.

And I sure hope we have not seen the last of Lauren. She is by far the best interview girl that TNA has ever had.

And this has to do with nothing but:

I do have to say that Christy Hemme is looking really good as of late.

Yeah I could see Kiyoshi or Bashir going. And you know what? It really would not be all that big of a loss as neither one of them is really doing anything. In fact the whole World Elite stable is kind of stale to me.

And I sure hope we have not seen the last of Lauren. She is by far the best interview girl that TNA has ever had.

And this has to do with nothing but:

I do have to say that Christy Hemme is looking really good as of late.

Haven't seen much of Kiyoshi, but Bashir/Daivari has always seemed better to me then he's ever credited with. I was glad to see him get an X-Division title reign last year, and then saddened to see his role lightened the way it has. My only issue with the World Elite as a whole, is that there's just so damned many members in it. Young, Bashir, Kiyoshi, Williams, Magnus, Terry, Homicide and now Kevin Nash, apparantly. That many guys just isn't neccessary, and that makes it easy for them to lose their individuality, like so many nWo midcarders did.

I agree with the liking of Lauren. Maybe it's just because she sells abuse very well, which I find to be a great trait with interviewers. She shows a lot more personality, and seems far less stiff then most female interviewers.

Haven't seen much of Kiyoshi, but Bashir/Daivari has always seemed better to me then he's ever credited with. I was glad to see him get an X-Division title reign last year, and then saddened to see his role lightened the way it has. My only issue with the World Elite as a whole, is that there's just so damned many members in it. Young, Bashir, Kiyoshi, Williams, Magnus, Terry, Homicide and now Kevin Nash, apparantly. That many guys just isn't neccessary, and that makes it easy for them to lose their individuality, like so many nWo midcarders did.

I agree with the liking of Lauren. Maybe it's just because she sells abuse very well, which I find to be a great trait with interviewers. She shows a lot more personality, and seems far less stiff then most female interviewers.

Yeah there are way to many people in that group. And I love how they are supposed to all be non-Americans yet Homicide is announced as being from NYC and if Kevin Nash is in it well he is an American as well.

Yes I agree that Bashir is a lot better then people give him credit for. I just think that TNA and WWF are both guilty of not knowning what the heck to do with him.

Yeah the other women interviews in TNA like Crystal, Leticia, Goldylocks were all good looking but their skills and reactions as interviewers was really lacking. Whereas, like you said, Lauren just seems to be better.

Yeah there are way to many people in that group. And I love how they are supposed to all be non-Americans yet Homicide is announced as being from NYC and if Kevin Nash is in it well he is an American as well.

Yes I agree that Bashir is a lot better then people give him credit for. I just think that TNA and WWF are both guilty of not knowning what the heck to do with him.

Yeah the other women interviews in TNA like Crystal, Leticia, Goldylocks were all good looking but their skills and reactions as interviewers was really lacking. Where as like you said, Lauren just seems to be better.

Well, I could see WWE not having much for him, he's one of the skinnier dudes out there, and with no Cruiserweight division, his role as a manager was probably the best thing they could've done for him. But they had to phaze out managers as well..TNA, however, has less excuses.

I agree with you on World Elite's additions being contridictions, but frankly, when World Elite first came up, I kinda hoped it wouldn't just end up being yet another anti-America team. World Elite, to me, signified them as being the best represenators of all countries, which would've atleast been a little more unique. So I was a bit dissapointed when they ended up just going "ohay, America sux, kaithxbai".