What would YOU like to see in wrestling?

UkWrestleFan

WWE, TNA, whatever, what would you like to see?

Personally, I'm a big fan of stables/factions so would love the WWE (which I probably watch more) to get a few more going. I don't think there's a proper one at the minute. The closest we have was Regal, Kozlov & Ezekiel but I can't see it lasting much longer. Then there's The Hart Dynasty but they're not really a stable, are they?

No, what I want is a proper 4, 5 or 6 man group. Bring back The Nation. There's loadsa workers who could slip into that group and claim their oppurtunities have been limited because of the colour of their skin. Mark Henry, MVP, Cryme Tyme, Shelton Benjamin. They could all make that claim. Hell, with rumours of a Booker T return, he could lead the whole thing.

Or, what about a British/European stable? So what if TNA are doing it, WWE has some talented guys who could do it. Regal, Burchill, McIntyre, Sheamus, Finlay.

Even bring back a Corporation type stable, that could work.

I'd like to see th WWE fall off its perch and pull there head out there *ss and give us something good. I was going to say i want them to close but watching Tribute to the Troops makes you realize the good they do.

TNA to focus on building there own talent for...although they already seen to be doing that a bit, with the British Invasion, AJ, Daniels, Joe, etc having good runs, Jay Lethal doing his Legends thing its all good...i just hope Hogan keeps it that way.

ROH keep showing the potential they always have and start coming to mainstream attention without Selling out and following the route TNA took by signing anyone who is anyone to help them grow.

Bryan Danielson pushed in WWE. He deserves it.

ROH not suffering any more big losses. With The Briscoes having trials for WWE, The Young Bucks perhaps going to TNA, and a pool of talent that could be stolen any time soon.

Too much to say in one post really, but I'll try:

1. A real Cruiserweight Division - Doesn't have to be a world of spotfests, (regardless of what anyone says), just fast-paced exciting matches, like the ones WCW used to give us back in the day. WWE could do this easily, they just choose not to.

2. Kill the Comedy - I hear CHIKARA does wrestling comedy well, but thanks to the cumulative efforts of WWE and TNA, every time I hear the word comedy associated with wrestling, it just about makes the blood freeze in my gallbladder. Besides, the Big Bad Two have chipped away enough of wrestling's former luster with so-called comedy skits. Stop that. If I want funny, I'll watch Comedy Central. Maybe Rodney Carrington's stand-up special is on!

Besides which, most of this comedy ends up making a perfectly good wrestler look bad. We don't need that stuff.

3. Better Use of the Tag Teams - I dunno what's with WWE's obsession with breaking up tag teams, but I have a bad feeling someone on SmackDown's creative staff is gonna be in trouble: it's been more than a month, and both The Hart Dynasty AND Cryme Time are still teaming together!!!! Vince can't be happy with that. Back in my day, tag teams were great! We had The Outsiders!! We had The Steiners! We had The New Age Outlaws! Nowadays, as soon as a tag team really starting reeking of awesomeness, somebody flips out. This team rocks, can't have that! They need to be feuding, and they need to be feuding WITH EACH OTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's done wonders for Primo and Carlito.

4. Too Many Belts, Too Many Former Champions - Once upon a time, the champions were special - not so much anymore. I imagine WWE is trying to create the illusion that EVERY WWE superstar is special, but then, if every WWE superstar is special, then how many of them really are special. Seems to me like all you need to do to get a championship in the WWE is be able to maintain a body temperature somewhere roughly in the 90s, and manage to hang in there long enough without getting fired. This needs to change.

5. Put Some Time Back On The Matches - I know TV time is at a premium, but it's hard to buy any promotion's wrestlers as 'the best in the business' if they routinely beat each other in less than 5 minutes. Besides, wrestling has plenty of segments we can do without. I think they could find the time.

6. Bring Back The Managers - Plenty of promising wrestlers out there that end up going nowhere because they can't talk, managers could help you make a lot more stars, and therefore more money. Wrestling needs them. A few new Jim Cornettes, Bobby Heenans, and maybe, just maybe if we're lucky, a new Slick could make the wrestling world a better place. I ain't no jive soul bro!

Think that's about all I got for now.

:cool:

2. Kill the Comedy - I hear CHIKARA does wrestling comedy well, but thanks to the cumulative efforts of WWE and TNA, every time I hear the word comedy associated with wrestling, it just about makes the blood freeze in my gallbladder. Besides, the Big Bad Two have chipped away enough of wrestling's former luster with so-called comedy skits. Stop that. If I want funny, I'll watch Comedy Central. Maybe Rodney Carrington's stand-up special is on!

Besides which, most of this comedy ends up making a perfectly good wrestler look bad. We don't need that stuff.

I agreed with most of your points but this one really caught my attention. I believe you are right for getting rid of comedy wrestling/skits in WWE and TNA however it can be a valuable asset to smaller promotions. I have spent half of today just watching comedy wrestling clips (most featured Colt Cabana or Delerious) and the small crowd loved it, it helped them get involved and gave them a good laugh, and will have had a positive influence on the crowds perception of wrestling. However if Goldust had a comedy match with Hornswoggle in WWE i would be embarresed as WWE influences how non-wrestling fans vue the "sport", and i dont want people to laugh and say that all wrestling is is a Gold Guy "fighting" a midget. And im not a fan of Chikara ill admit they are "too comedy" for my liking however the skits and little comedy moments during matches in promotions like PWG make me laugh. So i do believe comedy has a place in the indies just not the "big two".

I agreed with most of your points but this one really caught my attention. I believe you are right for getting rid of comedy wrestling/skits in WWE and TNA however it can be a valuable asset to smaller promotions. I have spent half of today just watching comedy wrestling clips (most featured Colt Cabana or Delerious) and the small crowd loved it, it helped them get involved and gave them a good laugh, and will have had a positive influence on the crowds perception of wrestling. However if Goldust had a comedy match with Hornswoggle in WWE i would be embarresed as WWE influences how non-wrestling fans vue the "sport", and i dont want people to laugh and say that all wrestling is is a Gold Guy "fighting" a midget. And im not a fan of Chikara ill admit they are "too comedy" for my liking however the skits and little comedy moments during matches in promotions like PWG make me laugh. So i do believe comedy has a place in the indies just not the "big two".

I know, hence my "edit" down below. Got caught up in the emotion of the moment though.

:)

I want to see an actual rock group stable ala SWF, I know TNA had their stupid guitar hero guitars but there's gotta be some people that can play super easy stuff that you can put out there to do the occasional song

Also agree on the tag teams, I always thought of tag teams as a way to build up one of those workers. Eventually their tag team will need freshining up so you have them feud each other with the winner getting a mid card title and eventually working his way up, SOO many top guys have used tag teams to elevate themselves (Austin, Edge, Michaels, Hart, Steiner, you can argue Kane as he was brought in cuz of Taker but the list goes on and on of solid people)its ridiculous WWE doens't use it more

Oh, and uh... better in-depth characters I guess. I've made several big posts about it, but in general I'd like to see diversification in WWE's characters.

Very much agreed. This could be one of the reasons WWE shows don't flow for me. Not enough variety of characters. I haven't been able to put my finger on exactly why.

And I know I have a better chance of seeing one of my Cleveland Brown D-linemen lead the league in sacks in 2010. But what I'd REALLY like to see is an old-school mealtime wrestling show. A good traditionally minded high level indy with a syndicated wrestling show that airs here in either the lunch or dinner hour on the weekend. While I have no beef with well-done Sports Entertainment style wrestling, I do miss the variety that was on TV here in the mid 90's. But today it seems like if you're going to go deeper than the WWE/TNA level, you're either going to have to throw riduculous sums of money at PPV length DVD's, rely on unpredictable torrent sites, or stumble across stuff piecemeal on Youtube. What I want most in wrestling in 2010 is reliable access to the indie guys.

Heat.

I want to believe two guys want to beat the hell out of each other. I want confrontations where guys shout over each other instead of taking turns trading lamely written insults designed to appeal to reality TV watching morons. I want brawls where the punches thrown look like the flailing blows of two men trying to kill each other but too damn angry to figure out a better way to do it than to club each other to death. I want real heels, badass tough sneaky mean cowardly frickin jerks. I want real babyfaces, good guys who know how to take a beating and give it back.

I agree with a diversification of the WWE's characters. I think the same writers are using the same kind of lines for wrestlers no matter who they are which doesn't help. Plus most of them look the same. I want the WWE roster to look less like a pack of guidos and more like wrestlers. Stop getting those stupid tattoos, fake tanning to the point of ridiculousness and for the love of god leave your hair alone. Or better yet I want the smallish but natural looking, whiter than white Bryan Danielson to beat the ever loving crap out of all those fake-tanned, jacked-up pansies.

I want wrestling in Japan to pick up again. I miss Toryumon and find Dragon Gate these days is leaning way more towards the ROH style than the original super fun style they had when I started watching them. I miss promotions like FMW who had EVERYTHING. A deathmatch, a lucha match, a women's match, a midgets match, a martial arts match.

I want to see people making wrestling doing things that make sense. Storylines should make sense, characters should make sense, the god damned ring should make sense. Seriously, why is TNA still using a six sided ring when it was brought in for no apparent reason? I want to see gimmick matches used for a reason.

And yeah, I will echo that I miss stables and tag team wrestling.

Heat.

I want to believe two guys want to beat the hell out of each other. I want confrontations where guys shout over each other instead of taking turns trading lamely written insults designed to appeal to reality TV watching morons. I want brawls where the punches thrown look like the flailing blows of two men trying to kill each other but too damn angry to figure out a better way to do it than to club each other to death. I want real heels, badass tough sneaky mean cowardly frickin jerks. I want real babyfaces, good guys who know how to take a beating and give it back.

I agree with a diversification of the WWE's characters. I think the same writers are using the same kind of lines for wrestlers no matter who they are which doesn't help. Plus most of them look the same. I want the WWE roster to look less like a pack of guidos and more like wrestlers. Stop getting those stupid tattoos, fake tanning to the point of ridiculousness and for the love of god leave your hair alone. Or better yet I want the smallish but natural looking, whiter than white Bryan Danielson to beat the ever loving crap out of all those fake-tanned, jacked-up pansies.

I want wrestling in Japan to pick up again. I miss Toryumon and find Dragon Gate these days is leaning way more towards the ROH style than the original super fun style they had when I started watching them. I miss promotions like FMW who had EVERYTHING. A deathmatch, a lucha match, a women's match, a midgets match, a martial arts match.

I want to see people making wrestling doing things that make sense. Storylines should make sense, characters should make sense, the god damned ring should make sense. Seriously, why is TNA still using a six sided ring when it was brought in for no apparent reason? I want to see gimmick matches used for a reason.

And yeah, I will echo that I miss stables and tag team wrestling.

All I can say to this is, "Preach it, Brother Hamster. Preach it."

This is going to be a diffrent side of things i guess lol.

What do i want in wrestling? it is simple.

I want stupid fans again. I want a fan who does not know about the "stunt granny" who does now about gimmicked tables.........ladders and so forth. I want a fan to not know the diffrence between a booker and a road agent.......hell i want the fans to not know what a booker and road agent is. I don't necesserly want kayfabe back.......I think people figured out long ago wrestling was fake.....but i want people who beleive that some of it is actully real. I want to be able to put together a show and put in some spots that are going to get a reaction and not have a ton of smarks mock it and explain how it is done.

/rant ;)

I want stupid fans again. I want a fan who does not know about the "stunt granny" who does now about gimmicked tables.........ladders and so forth. I want a fan to not know the diffrence between a booker and a road agent.......hell i want the fans to not know what a booker and road agent is. I don't necesserly want kayfabe back.......I think people figured out long ago wrestling was fake.....but i want people who beleive that some of it is actully real. I want to be able to put together a show and put in some spots that are going to get a reaction and not have a ton of smarks mock it and explain how it is done.

/rant ;)

That sounds alright, I think the problem is that wrestling makes a lot of things a bit too transparent. A lot of old time wrestlers and people blame the internet which I think to a degree is fair, but at the same time if this stuff wasn't made obvious enough for people to figure a lot of it out then most fans would still be believers. I love watching wrestling with stupid people or children around as opposed to your chubby 20 something guy with a beard smark because done right, even today I have moments where I can lose myself in the story of wrestling and seeing a live show it's much easier to get wrapped up in it.

Nice stunt granny reference btw. I remember watching that show when it originally aired and thinking "damn, my granny is pretty fit for her age .... I wonder if she could be a stunt granny".

/rant ;)

Well,wrestling always was the kind of the thing where if you really looked at it hard,you could "figure it out".....the thing was years back the industry knew some of us knew "the truth" but always strived to put it over as real regardless...now the industry pretty much openly acknowledges it and instead of going for real they are kind of saying "Everyone knows the truth *nudge nudge wink wink* so why bother? Here's some crazy stunts to watch!"

It's hard to say really whose fault it is that it has come to this point...people like Meltzer who started off with the underground newsletters? The internet? Some wrestlers who were so bitter towards the industry that they exposed things?Promotions like ECW that focused on high spots with little psychology behind it? It's all of the above to some degree,but I think if you go back further it was more everyone's favorite owner Vincent K. McMahon, and the way he has conducted business that leads us to this state,with the proliferation of the extremely over the top characters and cartoony gimmicks as a standard, as well as refusing to acknowledge the history of the business,that did the most damage...it opened up the business and now most of the fans have become some sort of self proclaimed expert on the innrer workings of the business, instead of showing it the respect it deserves.

Too much to say in one post really, but I'll try:

1. A real Cruiserweight Division - Doesn't have to be a world of spotfests, (regardless of what anyone says), just fast-paced exciting matches, like the ones WCW used to give us back in the day. WWE could do this easily, they just choose not to.

I agree, mate. What is the actual reason behind the carbonated cruiserweight division now? Is it because of safety issues? I loooooveee youtubing and dailymotioning the WCW six man lucha libre tag matches, I s'pose its a shame I am not tuning into WWE to get my fix of that.

Some of the comedy can be good. It just has to be meaningful and well put together. I personally loved the segment with the Motor City Machine Guns with their video where they were for hire. It served a purpose. I suppose wrestling these days is more mainstream so has more competing interests and therefore tries hard to diversify its product to keep interest... So, I guess, if its good, its good, but a lot of it is simply lame. I watched a little bit of Abraham Washington's stuff on ECW, I can only hope that with him they were looking at doing humour that was so dumb you laughed in sympathy, because that was absolutely appalling product.

3. Better Use of the Tag Teams - I dunno what's with WWE's obsession with breaking up tag teams, but I have a bad feeling someone on SmackDown's creative staff is gonna be in trouble: it's been more than a month, and both The Hart Dynasty AND Cryme Time are still teaming together!!!! Vince can't be happy with that. Back in my day, tag teams were great! We had The Outsiders!! We had The Steiners! We had The New Age Outlaws! Nowadays, as soon as a tag team really starting reeking of awesomeness, somebody flips out. This team rocks, can't have that! They need to be feuding, and they need to be feuding WITH EACH OTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's done wonders for Primo and Carlito.

AMEN! Going back to WCW, you had the likes of the Steiners and Harlem Heat, and then before that you in various parts LOD, Midnight Express, Rhythm & Blues, Minnesota Wrecking Crew et al and they all had a purpose. The tag belts meant something rather than just to give a bit of rub to someone. Then they all caught onto the Scott Steiner turn on Rick Steiner and suddenly it was the done thing. I don't know, I just see tag team wrestling as being a non valued entity these days.

4. Too Many Belts, Too Many Former Champions - Once upon a time, the champions were special - not so much anymore. I imagine WWE is trying to create the illusion that EVERY WWE superstar is special, but then, if every WWE superstar is special, then how many of them really are special. Seems to me like all you need to do to get a championship in the WWE is be able to maintain a body temperature somewhere roughly in the 90s, and manage to hang in there long enough without getting fired. This needs to change.

5. Put Some Time Back On The Matches - I know TV time is at a premium, but it's hard to buy any promotion's wrestlers as 'the best in the business' if they routinely beat each other in less than 5 minutes. Besides, wrestling has plenty of segments we can do without. I think they could find the time.

I don't mind the short matches. I kinda reach for the remote unless it involves good ring psychology and I feel as if the wrestlers of today, while good spot exponents, lack a lot of 'match-making' ability.

6. Bring Back The Managers - Plenty of promising wrestlers out there that end up going nowhere because they can't talk, managers could help you make a lot more stars, and therefore more money. Wrestling needs them. A few new Jim Cornettes, Bobby Heenans, and maybe, just maybe if we're lucky, a new Slick could make the wrestling world a better place. I ain't no jive soul bro!

Damn right. Loved the Cornettes, the Heenans, Jimmy Hart, even Miss Elizabeth who just ... well, basically stood there and looked cute. How good were guys like Paul Bearer at bringing their characters to life? Awesome!

----

I liked your list, mate. I obviously agree with a lot of it.

Can I make one based off your list?

1. Less Hornswoggle. I just don't buy it. Bring back the midgets like old school wrasslin had, and THEN I'd buy him.

The thing with comedy is it has to serve a purpose. It has to further a character or a feud or be so genuinely good in its writing and execution that you tune into see it. While some of the deliveries are... mediocre, the main crime in my estimation with the comedy is the writing.

Reminds me of a quote from Syndrome in The Incredibles:

Oh, I'm real. Real enough to defeat you! And I did it without your precious gifts, your oh-so-special powers. I'll give them heroics. I'll give them the most spectacular heroics the world has ever seen! And when I'm old and I've had my fun, I'll sell my inventions so that *everyone* can have powers. *Everyone* can be super! And when everyone's super-- [chuckles evilly] --no one will be.

Archived