Star Trek Online

praguepride

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said in the CO thread I was enjoying it this weekend. I still need some more time with space battles I found myself getting outmanuvered or flying too quickly past some ships in the early going. The missions sort of reminded me more of Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic than Champions Online, which is a plus in my book right now.

I've only been through the opening tutorial, the Earth Spacedock, and rescuing a freighter from some ambush. I tried with a Human Tactical Officer I think. I started a second character, a Vulcan Science Officer to see some of the differences, but that was yesterday morning right before they closed the test.

Liking it so far. I'd join a GDS fleet. Hopefully we'll be more active in this universe! :)

I can't say much but it's fun. The space combat reminds me of a lot of classic star trek games (Academy/Legacy/Starfleet Command etc.)

The ground battles are more like typical MMO's but having an away party is pretty fun as you can solo a lot of missions if you so desire.

All in all, very Star Trek meets World War 2 :D

It was bound to happen sooner or later.

Feb 2nd is the day to look forward to if you're not in beta already. Does GDS need a fleet? What race should we be? Is this too nerdy for a sports sim forum? And discuss :D

#1, if GDS has a fleet, it's going to be Federation only....or else it'll be PvP only. I'll leave it at that.

Right now, I don't know if I'll be there on day one. I'm seeing 'deal breakers' in every play session though I'm hoping they come up with a few miracle patches to make things better.

However, at launch, Klingons will be PvP only - they won't have PvE content of their own. I have a problem with that since everything foot-in-mouth disease afflicted Jack Emmert has said to this point is that the game will ship with two FULL factions.

Anyway, I'm there and giving feedback as best I can (the current new player development arc has to change drastically or this game will do worse than CO did). I don't envy Cryptic though. They have to rush to get this game out the door so they can make it competitive and recoup their money since they know TOR is going to decimate them.

Whoa, I hadn't really looked too deeply into this, because, let's be honest, I tend to stink like month-old breakfast at a lot of games like this. But I love Star Trek like none other, and I love creating my own stuff, so I might just have to check this out.

Heck, I already have my own ship and crew, I'd just have to put them in. I'd love to create my own race!

Looks awesome!

:eek:

First off Remi, that's somewhat misleading: Klingons WILL have a wee bit of PvE content at launch... just a very small amount. That being said, their PvP content looks awesome in my book. It is a bit dissappointing that the game won't launch with some of the features they said they wanted the game to have a year or two ago, but even so what they DO have in the game looks fun to me. Between the Genesis engine and space combat, I think STO will have enough to keep me occupied until they can flesh out the Klingons and, if we're lucky, implement the "dynamic universe" they said they wanted a while back.

If not, I'm sure TOR will be AWESOME.

But a thought occurs... we don't HAVE to choose. Why can't we create a GDS-fleet for each faction that everyone can join? Just because we will be forced to use Feddies as our mains doesn't restrict us all from playing Klingon alts if we want.

First off Remi, that's somewhat misleading: Klingons WILL have a wee bit of PvE content at launch... just a very small amount. That being said, their PvP content looks awesome in my book. It is a bit dissappointing that the game won't launch with some of the features they said they wanted the game to have a year or two ago, but even so what they DO have in the game looks fun to me. Between the Genesis engine and space combat, I think STO will have enough to keep me occupied until they can flesh out the Klingons and, if we're lucky, implement the "dynamic universe" they said they wanted a while back.

But a thought occurs... we don't HAVE to choose. Why can't we create a GDS-fleet for each faction that everyone can join? Just because we will be forced to use Feddies as our mains doesn't restrict us all from playing Klingon alts if we want.

Depends....are we talking Michael Dorn Klingons or old school Michael Ansara Klingons? lol :)

First off Remi, that's somewhat misleading: Klingons WILL have a wee bit of PvE content at launch... just a very small amount.

Um, so 'a wee bit of PvE content' is acceptable? Let's be honest here. A newbie night elf in WoW sees more content before Darnassus than a Klingon is likely to see in their career, at launch. And that content is five years old (hasn't been changed at all). What I think would be misleading is leading folks to believe that there's more than there really is. It's bait and switch and that 'wee bit of PvE content' is the bait. Managing expectations can be done by players as well as developers. Telling someone 'there's no PvE content for that faction' and having them see that 'wee bit' would be a pleasant surprise. Telling them that there's 'a very small amount' of PvE content and then having them find out that the vast majority of their playtime post-tutorial is going to be PvPing, would be....well, the opposite of 'pleasant surprise'.

That being said, their PvP content looks awesome in my book. It is a bit dissappointing that the game won't launch with some of the features they said they wanted the game to have a year or two ago, but even so what they DO have in the game looks fun to me. Between the Genesis engine and space combat, I think STO will have enough to keep me occupied until they can flesh out the Klingons and, if we're lucky, implement the "dynamic universe" they said they wanted a while back.

See, there's a problem with this. If people continue to buy half-finished games, guess what they're going to get more of? STO has no business coming out even in the first half of 2010 (much less February) but it's going to because Atari is strapped for cash and needs to pay for the multitude of lawsuits it's fighting right now (Turbine, Hasbro/WOTC, etc) over its previous and planned future MMO forays. I for one hope Hasbro wins because I'd hate to see Cryptic try to make the Neverwinter Nights MMO Atari's (allegedly) planning.

TOR will be awesome, primarily because it's not going to ship until it's done. BioWare tends to do justice to the IPs they work on and expand their audiences (show of hands, how many people knew Forgotten Realms prior to BioWare's involvement?)

This is true. But given my typical playstyle, my Klingon alts (assuming I create one - no info on number of character slots per account has been finalized yet) will probably get little play until the summer (ish) or whenever they get around to finishing that side of the game. I tend to only like zero-sum PvP (someone wins, someone loses and the loser knows he lost and has a real reason to avoid losing. None of this 'everyone gets something, win or lose' stuff that's perpetuating the genre nowadays) and in lieu of that, I'd rather stick to PvE.

Besides, much of my time around release will be devoured by a neat little title called Mass Effect 2 (comes out on my mother's birthday, no less).

TOR will be awesome, primarily because it's not going to ship until it's done. BioWare tends to do justice to the IPs they work on and expand their audiences (show of hands, how many people knew Forgotten Realms prior to BioWare's involvement?)

*Raises Hand* I did....but then I've been around Fantasy since the days of the gold box AD&D Games and huddling around the old Commodore saving Lord British. :)

Um, so 'a wee bit of PvE content' is acceptable? Let's be honest here. A newbie night elf in WoW sees more content before Darnassus than a Klingon is likely to see in their career, at launch. And that content is five years old (hasn't been changed at all). What I think would be misleading is leading folks to believe that there's more than there really is. It's bait and switch and that 'wee bit of PvE content' is the bait. Managing expectations can be done by players as well as developers. Telling someone 'there's no PvE content for that faction' and having them see that 'wee bit' would be a pleasant surprise. Telling them that there's 'a very small amount' of PvE content and then having them find out that the vast majority of their playtime post-tutorial is going to be PvPing, would be....well, the opposite of 'pleasant surprise'.

Secondly, yes, Klingon gameplay is almost entirely PvP. We are trying to get some PvE in (there's already a tad bit). And, if the players demand it, we'll add more content (like episodes). I want us to be agile as a company and respond to what the customers want.

Third, I'll reiterate my point in the other thread. I'm most excited about playing a Klingon. I love combat in a bird of prey. Klingons are getting attention - from me. It's not as much as I'd want, but we have a foundation that we can grow into. If people like the federation gameplay, we can put that in for the Klingons. If players have a different set of requests for klingons, we can do that instead. We can make STO into the game that YOU want.

I'll close with that. MMORPG's aren't just about release. They're about community and the years of gameplay. Disappointed that there isn't more Klingon gameplay? Play STO, tell us what you'd like and we can deliver that. Every passing day, we can make STO into what the fans want.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=42062

"Episodes", for those unaware of STO parlance, means storyarcs (I.E., series of interconnecting quests that tell a larger story like you'd see on a ST show). Also, from what I understand, there isn't a Klingon tutorial. Just wanted to make sure everyone's on the same page. :)

praguepride, you in the closed beta too? I've had fun with what little I've been able to do (due to time constraints on my part). NDA are a pain, aren't they? :p Can't wait for the open beta to roll around.

*Raises Hand* Old School D&D player here, I heard of FR before BioWare was even founded. I'm willing to bet that there are a couple thousand or so people just like me, given that the Forgotten Realms is one of the most popular D&D campaign settings in existence. :p Hell, I played and had heard of Never Winter Nights before BioWare touched the IP (it used to be an AOL exclusive MMORPG).

*Raises Hand* I did....but then I've been around Fantasy since the days of the gold box AD&D Games and huddling around the old Commodore saving Lord British. :)

*Raises Hand* Old School D&D player here, I heard of FR before BioWare was even founded. I'm willing to bet that there are a couple thousand or so people just like me, given that the Forgotten Realms is one of the most popular D&D campaign settings in existence. :p Hell, I played and had heard of Never Winter Nights before BioWare touched the IP (it used to be an AOL exclusive MMORPG).

You are by far in the minority. Believe me. When NWN came out, I tried explaining to people that this wasn't a new world or campaign and that it had existed for years prior on AOL but no one wanted to hear that. Neat trick. Go to a con where Ed Greenwood is and ask him about Mystra (the first one, not Midnight). Bring a sandwich and possibly a blanket. You'll learn WHY Elminster and the Seven Sisters were created. ;)

My point is, most of the audience has/had no idea about the source material until the 'mass market RPGs' that Bioware/Black Isles produced came out. They don't know the difference between Toril and Faerûn, they don't know anything about Amn that isn't portrayed in the Baldur's Gate (or anything about Neverwinter not explicitly explained in the more recent games).

Oh and I'm sure we all know how much garbage the end of that quote is. "MMOs aren't just about release" is the excuse often used by people who know they're only releasing half (or less) of a game. Rob Pardo didn't use that excuse. No one at Bioware is talking up how release isn't all that important. Neither is Jim Lee or anyone at notoriously 'release ASAP, patch it later' SOE in reference to The Agency or DCUO (or even FreeRealms earlier this year). Like it or not, first impressions for MMOs are extremely important. No player is going to pay $15 a month for a year on a hope that the game will be 'good' or 'release quality' at the END of that period. People tend to expect a full game at launch and ICING on the cake afterward.

*shrug* I guess I'm just tired of itty bitty companies biting off more than they can chew with major IPs. Perpetual, Cheyenne, whoever the hell Marvel handed their MMO to, all of these bit players don't have the resources to really do justice to an IP with a large following. They're basically banking on the diehard fans becoming invested just because of the name on the box, and handing them money regardless of quality. Those fans will always be disappointed because quality (and "polish") has a significant cost that the small fries can't handle. So they release half-finished games and spout BS lines like "MMOs are not about release". Yeah? Tell Turbine that (hi D&D). Tell that to FunCom ("OMG Tortage was awesome! Wait, you mean that's all that's finished?"). Warhammer sold over a million units in its first month. How many of those people stayed beyond the first (read: "free") month?

Yes, MMOs are about release. Heck, nowadays, MMOs are about OPEN BETA since that's when many people form their opinions of a game (save yourself $40 in the process!). It's like a first date. If the woman looks busted and orders the lobster (or the guy insists on the woman paying for everything or likes to use 'bitch' as a synonym for 'girl' or 'woman'), chances are there won't be a second date. And if there is, well, you deserve to get Vanguarded.

Rock on, man, rock on.. AD&D was sooooo cool, we played it from there on out. Never looked back to plain ol' D&D. World of Greyhawk, now that's where it was at.... :D

Played a little Gamma World (think this is right) too, cause, well, it was a fun diversion every so often....

Rock on, man, rock on.. AD&D was sooooo cool, we played it from there on out. Never looked back to plain ol' D&D. World of Greyhawk, now that's where it was at.... :D

Played a little Gamma World (think this is right) too, cause, well, it was a fun diversion every so often....

Heck yeah,started off as a kid playing around with the old color coded box sets(Basic set in the red box,Expert in blue box), then moved up to AD&D right before the introduction of the 2nd Edition rules.

Shoot,I remember when the whole setting had a ton of books and novels out for it....now Fafhrd & The Grey Mouser....that's old school! :)

Archived