The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Stennick

Man With the Iron Fists is fun. Nothing more. Nothing less. I'm into asian martial arts fantasy movies. So as far as like just a dumb goofy action movie in that world, I was into it.

I loved Man With the Iron Fists. Totally saved my night after the boredom Apollo 18 caused. I hated RZA in GI Joe, but he wasn't too bad in this. The music fit...surprisingly well actually. Now I'm obsessed with that song he did with the Black Keys and I'm nowhere near a fan of the Wu Tang Clan. Great action sequences, beautiful set work, and just overall a great experience. Not the greatest movie I've ever seen, but it was fun like you said.

I was nervous about buying it, so I got it out of the Redbox first. It's a definite purchase for me though.

Speaking of dumb movies, I thought Star Trek was okay, but so incredibly dumb it was kind of hard to take seriously as an action movie. Almost every decision every character made was so stupid. I also hated the fan-service-y call-backs, since they already had enough of them in the reboot. Do we really need tribbles cameos or shot-for-shot Wrath of Khan references?

I'm not even sure what my favorite crazy science moment was. I've always taken for granted that Star Trek has near-instant FTL communication devices so that captains can call into Star Fleet or what have you, but Kirk basically calls Scottie up on a cell phone and asks him to do a quick favor for him. I know it's not movie ruining, but it was one of dozens of moments that made me go "wait, how?"

In a world where gigantic spaceships can travel at the speed of light (and in later series several times the speed of light) the scientific issue you had was that he can call Scotty on a personal phone? Really? You just take transporter travel at face value but have an issue with calling a guy on a cell phone from space?

So I saw it last night. It was between this, Iron Man, and After Earth. My friend had seen Iron Man and wanted nothing to do with After Earth so we settled on ST: ID. I loved it. I thought it was a blast of an action movie. Again, nothing more and nothing less. I didn't notice the several "Shot-by-shot" references to Wrath of Khan that were running rampant throughout the movie. There were a few parts, and I mean few, all of which were near the end and were designed to get hardcore fans to go "Ohh that's awesome!" which it did.

So essentially, Lazorbeak, I basically disagree with everything you said about the movie lol. I enjoyed the callbacks and the references. They were all surface value, nothing to deep as if he's trying to slide something by you. I mean references to earlier source material is par for the course with a remake/reboot type of film and I didn't think it was heavy handed or cheesy or anything. I just liked it.

I wouldn't go running to get this movie oscars, mind you, there's some dumb parts here and there. But the same can be said for just about every single action movie I've ever seen. All in all, the movie was paced well and a blast to go see in the theater.

In a world where gigantic spaceships can travel at the speed of light (and in later series several times the speed of light) the scientific issue you had was that he can call Scotty on a personal phone? Really? You just take transporter travel at face value but have an issue with calling a guy on a cell phone?

Yes? Because warp drives and matter transportation have to have limits, and when you're just making personal phone calls to anyone at any time, you might as well pull out your magic wand because there's no stakes and there's nothing you can't do. Which, I mean... they pretty much do in the last act.

So essentially, Lazorbeak, I basically disagree with everything you said about the movie lol.

But... yeah, it's fun and dumb. I mean, what, exactly are you disagreeing with here? If you think about any action any character makes the whole plot unravels, so the whole thing is just supposed to be enough fun to make you not think about it for two seconds.

Fires photon torpedoes at Lazor Beak, and your tribbles will be arriving via UPS shortly

Fortunately I was anticipating this move and filled all your torpedoes with delicious candy. I didn't just take the candy myself because of reasons.

Anyone going to watch world war z.

I will just cause i love zombie movies and also because i loved the novel even though i know most of the movie is nothing like the novel.And i just learned that Romero is at it again with another zombie movie this time based of a book by another writer.:)

Yes? Because warp drives and matter transportation have to have limits, and when you're just making personal phone calls to anyone at any time, you might as well pull out your magic wand because there's no stakes and there's nothing you can't do. Which, I mean... they pretty much do in the last act.

Not to get too nerdy, but at any point in the known star trek lexicon, you could be literally hundreds of light years away from earth and make a video live chat immediately with home base there. It stands to reason that in an age of such advanced intergalactic communication, what we would call "cell towers" in our generation would be expanded to satellites spanning not only planets but galaxies. And considering how close they were to Earth when he called Scotty, I simply don't see what THIS is "magic wand" territory. They can disassemble, transport at the speed of light, and reassemble the molecules that make up a living being... why wouldn't they be able to do it to a cell phone signal and at a far greater distance?

I usually dislike Superman. I really only like select story arcs in the comics, and I love the first Superman movie and the animated series from the 90s.

I love the updated look of his costume and it's honestly the first time I've been genuinely excited about something Superman related. Probably going to go see it opening weekend.

Not to get too nerdy, but at any point in the known star trek lexicon, you could be literally hundreds of light years away from earth and make a video live chat immediately with home base there. It stands to reason that in an age of such advanced intergalactic communication, what we would call "cell towers" in our generation would be expanded to satellites spanning not only planets but galaxies. And considering how close they were to Earth when he called Scotty, I simply don't see what THIS is "magic wand" territory. They can disassemble, transport at the speed of light, and reassemble the molecules that make up a living being... why wouldn't they be able to do it to a cell phone signal and at a far greater distance?

Dude, really? You really want to get into this? I listed this as one of my "favorite crazy science moments," because it's one of many, but that's not even getting into the "inexplicable decision" or "plot elements that make absolutely no sense" aspects that make the movie brainless entertainment.

Like I said, the movie is fun but incredibly dumb and a little too fan-service-y. That's not to say others aren't allowed to have fun, but when you say things like "I disagree completely" in response and then argue about the specifics of space magic, I wonder what alternate dimension you've teleported yourself into.

Why do you have to drop childish insults like "I'm in another dimension". I simply disagreed with what you said and did so respectfully. If you need me to explain WHY i disagreed completely... again... even though I've already said it I will.

You essentially have made three points about the film. I'll address them.

1) "Too dumb to take seriously as an action film"

--Disagreed and I don't even know what that means. It's called suspension of disbelief and it effects us all differently. Some people can suspend disbelief enough to accept Iron Man can fly around with repulsor rays and not be distracted but somehow a phone call from space is. Whatever. I disagreed though I expected an action film, got one, and enjoyed it. I wasn't distracted by the BS science stuff, nor do I think this movie is any more guilty of it than the crap you find in modern sci fi action films.

2) "I also hated the fan-service-y call-backs, since they already had enough of them in the reboot. Do we really need tribbles cameos or shot-for-shot Wrath of Khan references? "

--I disagree here too. I thought the references were very surface and not too deep as if to be distracting or, "you're trying to pull something here..." I just liked it. I thought the references to one of my favorites sci fi films of all time were awesome. I didn't think there were all that many of them. When they were present they were effective and got a nice nod from me. So when you said youy HATED it and I said I LIKED it... yes this constitutes saying "I disagree completely".

3) You then went on to discuss the crazy science of the film, and I didn't think the example you used was all that crazy. It's a cell phone call from space. I won't bother repeating myself but I explained why I don't think THIS is ludicrous "magic wand" territory where the other stuff throughout the series is acceptable. At that point, I kind of find that stuff to be "nitpicking" and I don't tend to do that when I see a movie. Especially a big actiony summer blockbuster.

So I can't really in any plainer english explain why I disagreed completely. I don't think you're WRONG. You have opinions and you can hate things I loved all day long. But don't act like I'm speaking another language or something or "in another dimension" because you took issue to something I said.

Why do you have to drop childish insults like "I'm in another dimension". I simply disagreed with what you said and did so respectfully. If you need me to explain WHY i disagreed completely... again... even though I've already said it I will.

"Childish insults?" You really think a reference to "another dimension" is a "childish insult"?????? I think you're reading into things. Maybe this is a common exchange in the backseat of cars, I don't know:

Child: "No YOU'RE from another dimension!"

For those that need jokes explained in detail, what I did was I made a reference to the previous Star Trek movie which created a divergent timeline framed as a "joke." It's much less fun when it has to be explained out.

And nowhere did I say I "HATED" it or that you weren't allowed to like it. I just took issue with you acting like my issues with the movie weren't legit. But good god, I deeply apologize for such hurtful words as implying someone is from an alternate dimension.

And nowhere did I say I "HATED" it

Yea you did. That's why I mentioned it

I also hated the fan-service-y call-backs

You acted like when I said I disagreed with what you said about the film, I was speakign another language or something. I calmly and rationally tell you why I disagreed in as plain english as I can use, and THIS is the response? I mean now you're just making fun of me lol. Sarcastically but openly mocking me. I find that immature quite frankly. What am I supposed to say to this that's not going to perpetuate some silly argument?

I thought you were the king of guy one could disagree with. I'll be more mindful of tone in the future.

Yea you did. That's why I mentioned it

Hating a film =/ hating one thing in a film. So no, I never said I hated it. This is all so nit-picky and useless though. Why are you so invested in it?

I calmly and rationally tell you why I disagreed in as plain english as I can use, and THIS is the response? I mean now you're just making fun of me lol. Sarcastically but openly mocking me. I find that immature quite frankly. What am I supposed to say to this that's not going to perpetuate some silly argument?

I thought you were the king of guy one could disagree with. I'll be more mindful of tone in the future.

Yes, I made a joke, and then made another one when your reaction to the joke was accusing me of name-calling. And by all means, please do be mindful of tone, it is key when you get into non-arguments with people and pretend to be offended by off-hand jokes.

To be clear, I absolutely don't have a problem that you liked the movie. I just took a bit of umbrage at the idea that you "disagree completely lol" and then echo most of what I said, but in a positively-spun way. And then proceeded to get down to cases as though this was some super-serious online disagreement, when it's not and hasn't been, at least from my side. I'm fine with playful disagreements, and I've made several comments and asides to make it clear I didn't have any deep-seated feelings about this, so I don't get why you're acting like this is a big deal at all.

And yes, I am the king of guys. :cool:

Finally got to do my Mission Impossible marathon. I forgot how much I enjoyed MI:2. I still have 3 and 4 to watch and I've been told 4 is the best one and is more action like.

MI:2 almost plays like a Bond movie and I'm ok with that.

Ok So I saw Man of Steel yesterday. I must say that the movie was VERY entertaining, and I havent enjoyed a Superman movie since Superman 3, (or Superman:Doomsday for the animation version). The casting was perfect and the storyline in the movie fit perfectly. But then again thats what happens when you have the director from the Dark Knight Saga producing it, and the guy from "300" directing it. (By the way, if you havent heard...there is a "300" sequel coming.....SPARTA!!!!) All in all its one of the few movies that I would actually watch TWICE!!!

Good Points:

-Good Casting: Especially Russell Crowe as Supermans father, Superman and the guy playing General Zod.

- Nolan and Synder teaming up =Instant Win

- Storyline

Bad Points:

-No Secret Ending...(I stayed til the end of the credits and none to no avail. Even though I KNOW they are going to make a sequel.)

GHOST

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="bigtplaystew" data-cite="bigtplaystew" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25823" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Caught the midnight show of Man of Steel with some pals tonight. I liked it. Not gonna get into the story or anything it wasn't flawless. I put it right about where Star Trek: ID is. I felt it was an entertaining action movie. Nothing more nothing less.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> 100% agree. I was expecting "more" I guess, but it was what was needed for this franchise.... Superman should equal Action, and I am doing a /nod to Action Comics saying that.</p><p> </p><p> Really liked Jor-El in this one. It's obvious they left quite a bit open for the future, with a shared Universe, which I think I liked more then anything else about it.</p>

<p>I liked the slow parts of Superman. The actiony stuff was great too but by the end it was so over-the-top and rediculous (and the bad special effects didn't help much either... every single time Superman did anything "super" it looked like a cartoon)</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="djthefunkchris" data-cite="djthefunkchris" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25823" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>100% agree. I was expecting "more" I guess, but it was what was needed for this franchise.... Superman should equal Action, and I am doing a /nod to Action Comics saying that.<p> </p><p> Really liked Jor-El in this one. It's obvious they left quite a bit open for the future, with a shared Universe, which I think I liked more then anything else about it.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> See Jor-El was one of my problems. <span style="color:#000000;"><strong>Spoilers ahead</strong></span> (be aware if you quote my post as this is how these things are accidentally revealed):</p><p> </p><p> <span style="color:#FFFFFF;">OK so the whole thing with Jor-El and his wife is they believe in a free Kryptonian society yadda yadda yadda. So why was the "Scientist" Jor-El such a formidable physical adversary to Kryton's greatest and best bred-to-be-warriors in General Zod and his army?? OK Kal-El will got to choose what he wanted but Jor-El hasn't. He's been a victim of Kryptonian society's dominance which is why he has such rebellious views. When did he get to train to be so much better than these guys? So maybe he's been "practicing combat secretly" or something for years but like why the hell would he be able to even remotely pose a threat to warriors who've been trained to do so their whole life? With combat experience. In a huge society that has been ruling themselves and other planets for centuries?? Had he been barely escaping them or something I'd have never found a problem but he was shooting and fistfighting them and was clearly their better in every way, shape or form. At no point despite their massive numbers advantage did they really even hurt him. Sure Zod defeated him in the end but it wasn't in a fight... it was a fit of rage. </span></p><p><span style="color:#FFFFFF;"> </span></p><p><span style="color:#FFFFFF;"> OK so now for the end stupidity. Zod is about to kill those people and Superman's finally "pushed his limits" and figured out he can kill Zod. Wonderful. WHY THE HELL DIDN'T HE DO THIS BEFORE ZOD LEVELED ALL OF DOWNTOWN METROPLIS SURELY KILLING MANY MORE IN THE PROCESS?? Those three lives in the subway (and what were they doing in a subway when a a days-long alien siege had been taking place?) mattered more than the good of the entire city? I mean I know it's a movie and all but what we saw was massive destruction to a huge area of an extremely densely populated city. The death toll had to be more than 3... Why was Superman so moved when he was about to kill those three people when Zod essentially plans to completely wipe out the human race?? Such a silly plot device and i am fully aware I'm waaay overthinking it but I couldn't help it. These thoughts were in my head while watching it and took me out of the end. What should have been a high-stakes battle for the sake of humanity (like in Avengers) felt more like a dumb cartoon fight that I had little emotional attachment to. </span></p><p><span style="color:#FFFFFF;"> </span></p><p><span style="color:#FFFFFF;"> The entire end fight scene looked and felt like a silly cartoon instead of real people fighting in a real world. I get that it's difficult to make superman do the things he does and get it to look good. But the CGI was so immediately noticeable to me that it was distracting and took me out of the film. Especially at the end when things got crazy. </span></p><p><span style="color:#FFFFFF;"> </span></p><p><span style="color:#FFFFFF;"> Keep in mind I spent several paragraphs complaining but overall I did enjoy it. I put it right there with Dark Knight Rises as a solid dramatic superhero film that delivered in action but wasn't special or amazing or outstanding. I wasn't pissed about spending the time and money to go, I had fun. But I'd also be lying if I said I wasn't a tiny bit disappointed in a few things. namely, the CGI. I mean WETA did better stuff 12 years ago at this point... like jeez man it's Superman spend the extra time and money and get it to look good. </span></p>