Lesnar Returns This Summer

Stennick

I didn't see a thread for this so anybody that missed him and Dana's interview on ESPN Weds not only did he say he will be back this summer in a Unification match but he proceeded to put everybody and even countries on blast. Not all of this is from the ESPN interview but just different interviews in general. He's lighting up chumps, smoking fools and talking noise about it.

He said everybody in the UFC is (crapping) themselves over his return.

He called Canada a third world country saying they couldn't find what was wrong with him and they nearly killed him.

He called Frank Mir a stalker and said that if he gets a chance he'll deal with Mir who he then continued to call a stalker. Apparently Mir's running his mouth about the fight idk.

So all in all its glad to hear a near death experiance has made Brock so grateful and humble :)

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Brock-Lesnars-Fight-for-His-Life-22165

When you don't know half of what your talking about either link to a site that does or read up on it yourself.

What did I say that wasn't correct? I saw the quotes of him calling out Canada, of him talking crap about Mir and about him returning this Summer so what exactly "didn't I know about"?

“They couldn’t do nothing for me,” Lesnar continued. “It was like I was in a third-world country. I just looked at my wife and she saved my life and I had to get out of here. I’m just stating the facts here, and that’s the facts. I love Canada. I own property in Canada, but if I had to choose between getting care in Canada or the United States, I’d definitely want to be in the United States."]

From the link you just supplied he said thatWord for word what in the interview so he did call them a third world country so I was right about that.

http://www.cagedinsider.com/ufc/ufc-news/quotables-brock-lesnar-calls-mir-stalker/

In the above link he says the following

“I don’t think I beat him as bad as I could. So for me to get my hands on that stalker again… you know, Frank Mir has made it a mission of his life (to get revenge). Frank Mir the stalker. It’s been a while since I’ve had a stalker, but we’ll take of that if I ever face him again.”

So I'm not really sure what I said that was in accurate. I didn't say thats ALL he said I just said these are some things he said.

Lolz, anyway, Lesnar....

Great news that he's back, mixed feeling about him facing the winner of Carwin/Mir though.

I really don't rate Carwin *yet*. He's done nothing against anyone decent to prove that he is a top guy. Mir, for all his inconsistancies, has proven that he belongs and that he can come back from adversity refocused and retrained.

Here's the thing, if Mir beats Carwin then he fights Brock next. So Brock will have had 6 MMA fights, half of them against Mir. If he looses to Mir then it really hurts his prospects, and if he wins then meh, he's got Frank's number.

My ideal outcome here would be Nogueira getting a crack at Lesnar. So the winner of Mir/Carwin would have to be unavailible AND Nog would need to get through Velasquez. He's not got long left and is already well past his prime, so the sooner this one happens the better.

Agree with nearly everything you say, except Nog being past his prime. He's 33. That's the same age as Fedor, and younger than Anderson. I think he's got a good 3-4 years left in him. Watch the fight with Couture. Ignore the 29-28 scorecards, Nog dominated him. He was ill for his fight with Mir, and now he's recovered from that, I think he may find the sort of form he had pre-Fedor in PRIDE.

Having said that, I would prefer a wrestler to take Lesnar on. My list of potential opponents for Brock in order of preference:

1. Shane Carwin

Better record, more experience than Velasquez.

2. Cain Velasquez.

A wrestler, but he struggled to control striker Ben Rothwell on the ground. Against Lesnar imagine how he'll end up.

3. Big Nog

BJJ appears to be the main foil to Lesnar's vicious ground and pound, and Nog's really good at it. This fight could be another of his fantastic get-beaten-up-for-four-and-a-half-rounds-before-pulling-out-awesome-submission.

4. Frank Mir.

Should be Frank Meh.

5. Junior Dos Santos

Should he get past Gonzaga, I think he'll move into title contender territory. Not yet, though.

It's a seperate belt, and is listed seperately. It's mainly used just as a timefiller when a champion leaves for a long amount of time but with the intention of returning. And it also allows the UFC to have more 5 round main events. Loads of well known 'championship' fights were for the interim strap, like Hughes-GSP III.

As much as I would like to see Mir/Lesnar III to get a "resolution" I dont want the matches to be so close together so I would much rather see Nog vs Lesnar this summer. However the Mir match up is clearly the better business decision and if for some reason Lesnar does need to have his colon removed in the future ending his career the UFC will have gotten their money's worth out of him.

Agree with nearly everything you say, except Nog being past his prime. He's 33. That's the same age as Fedor, and younger than Anderson. I think he's got a good 3-4 years left in him. Watch the fight with Couture. Ignore the 29-28 scorecards, Nog dominated him. He was ill for his fight with Mir, and now he's recovered from that, I think he may find the sort of form he had pre-Fedor in PRIDE.

Not a chance. It's not just the age you have to take into account, it's the damage and the numerous injuries. He's not looked the same since the Fedor and Cro Cop fights. He was sluggish against Nastula, a fight which he really should have finished alot quicker. He looked horrible in the third Herring fight, the Sylvia fight...and lets be honest, out-grappling Couture for three rounds isn't the best yardstick against which to measure his ability, what with Randy's performances before and after that fight.

The fact is, he's been competing in this sport for 11 years and taken more damage than most. At that point in their career, especially when they've suffered all the serious injuries that Nog has suffered, guys just don't get back to the form they had in their youth. It just doesn't happen.

I'd still take the Nogueira of 2010 over most of the UFC HW roster, purely by virtue of his ability to pull submissions out of nowhere. That said, the fight against Cain Velasquez will answer alot of questions.

He is a bit of a d*ck but unfortunately he is a talented one. Until somebody knocks him out he'll continue to talk like this.

No he's not.

People don't pay $30,000 for cage side seats to see Mary Poppins fight the Easter Bunny. People pay top dollar to see a "villain" get his/her comeuppance. This is no different from Mike Tyson's early career (post-Berbick, pre-Douglas). I actually think it makes him stand out when he tells the truth from his point of view, instead of the publicist filtered garbage so many other people spout.

I like Brock. I hope he can come back better than he was because it's fun to watch his game develop and he's good for business.

No he's not.

People don't pay $30,000 for cage side seats to see Mary Poppins fight the Easter Bunny. People pay top dollar to see a "villain" get his/her comeuppance. This is no different from Mike Tyson's early career (post-Berbick, pre-Douglas). I actually think it makes him stand out when he tells the truth from his point of view, instead of the publicist filtered garbage so many other people spout.

I like Brock. I hope he can come back better than he was because it's fun to watch his game develop and he's good for business.

You beat me to it. Any public comment he makes is not a reflection of what type of person he is. He's selling tickets. More people are going to watch his next fight after this interview than they were before it. And he's not going to stop acting like this when he gets beat, he's going to stop when he retires.

The WWE really lost something special when Brock left.

Not a chance. It's not just the age you have to take into account, it's the damage and the numerous injuries. He's not looked the same since the Fedor and Cro Cop fights. He was sluggish against Nastula, a fight which he really should have finished alot quicker. He looked horrible in the third Herring fight, the Sylvia fight...and lets be honest, out-grappling Couture for three rounds isn't the best yardstick against which to measure his ability, what with Randy's performances before and after that fight.

The fact is, he's been competing in this sport for 11 years and taken more damage than most. At that point in their career, especially when they've suffered all the serious injuries that Nog has suffered, guys just don't get back to the form they had in their youth. It just doesn't happen.

I'd still take the Nogueira of 2010 over most of the UFC HW roster, purely by virtue of his ability to pull submissions out of nowhere. That said, the fight against Cain Velasquez will answer alot of questions.

Maybe I got a bit too hype machine, but I can't see Velasquez giving him major problems. As I mentioned above, Cain struggled to contain Ben Rothwell on the ground, so how's he going to deal with Nog's world renowned ground game? If he chooses to stand, is he going to be able to deal with Nog's famously underated boxing? (it's not really underated anymore, is it?) I see him winning this fight and then getting the winner of Gonzaga-JDS (probably JDS) while Velasquez fights the loser of Mir-Carwin. Nog should beat JDS (his best asset is his boxing, and Nog's got one of the toughest chins and biggest hearts in the history of the sport), presumably setting up a title shot late 2010 early 2011. He's not done yet, IMO, and he could be UFC Heavyweight Champion.

Maybe I got a bit too hype machine, but I can't see Velasquez giving him major problems. As I mentioned above, Cain struggled to contain Ben Rothwell on the ground, so how's he going to deal with Nog's world renowned ground game? If he chooses to stand, is he going to be able to deal with Nog's famously underated boxing? (it's not really underated anymore, is it?)

I think Cain's biggest assett is that he's the next generation of MMA fighter. A professional athelete that happens to be a born fighter, rather than a born fighter training to be a professional athelete. Nog has got slower and slower, where as Cain is a pitbull for three rounds. Nog's wrestling has always been his weakest suit, so Cain will determin where the fight goes, which is a huge advantage for a tenacious wrestler.

I really don't know either way with this one - Cain has yet to have his 'breakout' fight against a top 10 heavyweight. Could this be it, who knows? Either way, it's an interesting fight and will answer questions about both guys.

I see him winning this fight and then getting the winner of Gonzaga-JDS (probably JDS) while Velasquez fights the loser of Mir-Carwin. Nog should beat JDS (his best asset is his boxing, and Nog's got one of the toughest chins and biggest hearts in the history of the sport), presumably setting up a title shot late 2010 early 2011.

Nogueira will never fight Dos Santos.

He's not done yet, IMO, and he could be UFC Heavyweight Champion.

Absolutly, I don't think he's 'done' but at this level, every fight is a risk. The Nogueira vs Couture and Liddell vs Silva bouts lost their lustre because they happened years after they should have. I don't want to see a Lesnar that has lost interest in MMA after dropping his title to Mir, versus a Nogueira comming off a string of beatings before he retires.

Lessner is a show man pure and simple. Is he as dbagish out of the of the ring? maybe maybe not....it is odvious he knows how to sell tickets. I think the guy had an additude that is with out question. I think he might play it up a little bit though. Tyson is the same way. you paid money to see him get beat, when he won you wanted to pay even more next time to see him loose even more. This is the same way. One day lesner will be beat again....untill that point he is just going to keep making more and more money.

Archived