The Official ROH Discussion Thread

Wrestling Century

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MightyDavidson" data-cite="MightyDavidson" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Of course Juice Robinson left, why would he choose to stay in ROH and let his career be hindered by Delirious' crappy booking? In New Japan he's in the title scene for the NJPW US Title at least and has the possibility of achieving much more. In ROH he's being made to play second fiddle to Taven, in his shoes I'd leave too. As for Tenille Dashwood, well the Women of Honor are booked worse then the men, what was meant to be keeping her around, nothing feuds with the Allure?<p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> All this may well be but its the optics I'm more concerned with. You have a relatively new group aiming to revive the core principles of RoH that's already at half original strength due to two key departures and an injury. Now to be fair to Tennille, in story terms, she was put on the shelf rather than walking out. But either way it really does make RoH's resident defenders of the faith look rather feckless. Add in the fact none of them have long RoH histories and it's starting to feel like there's no point.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>So Death Before Dishonor is tonight, anyone watching? </p><p> </p><p>

Rush vs. Matt Taven for the ROH World Title is the Main Event, this match will go one of two way.</p><p> </p><p>

1.) ROH realizes they need to do something drastic and fast, and they make the right call to put the World Title on Rush, since right now next to Marty Scrull he's one of the most popular guys in the company. Not to mention reports today surfaced that Marty is pretty much out the door shortly, and Taven's contract is up in a matter of weeks, and for whatever reason they are throwing big money at him to stay.</p><p> </p><p>

2.) They have Matt Taven win, and have him defeat the 2nd undefeated man on the roster, and continue on their downward spiral.</p><p> </p><p>

It's safe to say the Matt Taven experiment is a bust, and it's time to move forward, especially with the uncertainty of Taven staying or trying his luck elsewhere.</p>

Good show last night,

But the breaking news this morning has me highly intrigued at the relationship ROH and CMLL will have going forward.

So Dragon Lee was apparently being punished by CMLL for competing in the BOLA. He was removed from all future CMLL bookings going forward as punishment for competing when he was strictly told not too.

Well Dragon Lee showed up last night at Death Before Dishonor as a mystery last minute add on to the ROH World Television Title match.

Well apparently after RUSH won the ROH World Title there was a post made by RUSH and his father stating that they were going "independent."

And this morning CMLL announced that both RUSH and Dragon Lee had been released from the company.

Look for ROH to make a play for Dragon Lee, seeing as how his brother looks to be there for the long haul, this would be a monster grab for ROH, but it leaves me wondering if they do snatch up Dragon Lee where does their relationship with CMLL stand, as it looks there is some "heat" so to speak.

So another report came out today that CMLL is in the doghouse right now with NJPW and ROH over the whole situation.

NJPW has gone as far as to no longer consider them an "excursion" company, and will no longer be sending young lions there.

Also RUSH and Dragon Lee will have name changes soon as CMLL owns the rights to both names. And currently RUSH is booked for a show in mexico and is going under the El Toro Blanco name.

And as far as RUSH going to WWE, more than likely wont be anytime soon, he still has a bit of time on his ROH contract, and if ROH can secure Dragon Lee I could see RUSH staying with ROH for a while.

Apparently Sinclair and ROH having the money to do so are tossing some major money around to keep top guys. And i can almost be for certain if the money figure is right RUSH and Dragon Lee will call ROH home for a long while. And with ROH and New Japan still happy with their working relationship I wouldnt be surprised if Lee splits his time between ROH and NJPW.

Also tonight is the Death Before Dishonor Fallout show on fite and honor club for honor club members so maybe some questions will be answered?

Also very interested to see where they go with this Shane Taylor story, I am rather intrigued.

CMLL are crazy. Rush should sign long term with ROH unless Andrade convinces him to consider WWE. Dragon Lee might go to New Japan. He's popular there.

Not crazy about the notion of Rush as world champion but I will agree with you about the long term contract. Worst case scenario that gives him time to sell me on a second reign after this first one is over. But regardless if he's going to be champ for any meaningful amount of time, he needs to be locked up. The RoH World champion needs to be as RoH as possible. One way or another, the over-reliance on outside stars has to end.

• 3 weeks later...
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Mootinie" data-cite="Mootinie" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Maria Manic's deal has expired. She was signed for three months before actually appearing, has done several run ins and segments with The Allure but now it looks like she's leaving before wrestling a match. Apparently, she's had a private WWE tryout.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Seems just as well. As far as RoH went, she was a whole lot of sound and fury signifying nothing. They always tried to make her sound like a big deal but they sure didn't use her like one.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Mootinie" data-cite="Mootinie" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Maria Manic's deal has expired. She was signed for three months before actually appearing, has done several run ins and segments with The Allure but now it looks like she's leaving before wrestling a match. Apparently, she's had a private WWE tryout.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I must be really out of their current product because I have never heard of her. I am not trying to be funny or sarcastic here, I legit never heard of her. </p><p> </p><p> I guess I should try to watch their shows again.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BHK1978" data-cite="BHK1978" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I must be really out of their current product because I have never heard of her. I am not trying to be funny or sarcastic here, I legit never heard of her. <p> </p><p> I guess I should try to watch their shows again.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You're not the only one in that particular boat. I couldn't tell you what's happened in ROH since they put the title on Taven. Might start watching again now that Rush is champion.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MightyDavidson" data-cite="MightyDavidson" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>You're not the only one in that particular boat. I couldn't tell you what's happened in ROH since they put the title on Taven. Might start watching again now that Rush is champion.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Kind of know the feeling except in the opposite direction. I'm starting to toy with the idea of bailing on RoH now that Rush is champion. Not that the title change would be the ultimate reason. Just yet another symptom of the years long problem of putting imported talent over RoH natives. Just another example of RoH's own guys being made to look not good enough to hold the company's own titles.</p><p> </p><p> Then there's the format change to RoH TV. I'm of two minds about that. On the one hand it does make the company feel bigger in that more gets covered on TV in the average week now than when it was meant to feel like a mini-card of its own. But on the other hand, it's rare to get a complete match anymore and everything is subtitled with the disclaimer that the full match can be seen on Honor Club. Which is beginning to begin an old pre-Sinclair bugaboo back to me.</p><p> </p><p> The feeling that RoH is more of a rich fan's promotion. That if you can't pop for Honor Club or the DVD's or what not, oh well f'get you. You're a less desirable fan because you're a poor shlub who has to rely on TV to get his fix. Now granted that feeling was worse pre-Sinclair when you had to empty out your pockets for DVD's if you wanted to keep up. Honor Club is not quite that pricy thank heaven. But it does still feel like you'd better not have anything else to invest your free time in if you want to follow RoH CORRECTLY. The way THEY want you to follow it. Even matches that were once TV staples like the Top Prospect tournament are now shunted off behind Honor Club's velvet rope. Heck, did they ever name a 2019 Top Prospect and who was it? Having to rely on TV, I lost track and that's one of my favorite events on the RoH calendar.</p><p> </p><p> I could grumble about this or that creative decision. Making Rush champion. The compositions of Lifeblood and Villian Enterprises. The tag team scene. The insistence on making me backdoor support an annoyance like Kenny King. Lord knows RoH has made a lot to make my head shake over the last five years. But at the end of the day, what it comes down to is that it feels like Ring Of Honor wants a very specific breed of fan and anybody who doesn't qualify for that can kick rocks. And I gotta say as one who also likes watching AEW and MLW and who has OVW and NWA shows on YouTube to catch up on, kicking rocks is sure starting to look more appealing that sticking with Ring of Honor.</p>

ROH needs to give the belt to Silas Young

Given who else they have for native contenders, I guess I can understand these words being arranged in this order. But I have a hard time seeing it how that's any better than having given it to Matt Taven. Silas has always felt more like a gatekeeper than a potential world champion. Guy certainly has the talent but does he have the overall resume that Taven did? I'd have to do some serious digging. Heck, I've have been amazed Taven had the resume he does if they didn't do the promo where he laid it all out during the run-up to his reign.

The fact that Silas Young and Matt Taven are about the best that can be cited for remaining 'homegrown' ROH guys speaks volumes about how terrible they've gotten at developing talent. They've always struggled to hold onto it because of the money bigger companies throw around, but in the past they were great about building up a fresh crop of guys to replace the departed stars. Not anymore.

The fact that Silas Young and Matt Taven are about the best that can be cited for remaining 'homegrown' ROH guys speaks volumes about how terrible they've gotten at developing talent. They've always struggled to hold onto it because of the money bigger companies throw around, but in the past they were great about building up a fresh crop of guys to replace the departed stars. Not anymore.

In the past they've had decent booking to make sure the homegrown guys were built up properly, which is not the case anymore. With a change in booking Silas can possibly be salvaged as can some of the others, Taven is beyond hope.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Silas would be a major step up from Taven, but Rush is awesome.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Agreed on both counts.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Silas would be a major step up from Taven, but Rush is awesome.</div></blockquote><p> For sure. I always found Silas fairly entertaining, albeit firmly as a midcard guy when I was watching, while I never cared for Taven. I haven't seen Rush enough to really comment. The only ROH match I've seen him in was the MSG show where he squashed Dalton Castle, and on the rare occasion he pops up in NJPW it's usually on a tour I tend to skip.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="cappyboy" data-cite="cappyboy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Then there's the format change to RoH TV. I'm of two minds about that. On the one hand it does make the company feel bigger in that more gets covered on TV in the average week now than when it was meant to feel like a mini-card of its own. But on the other hand, it's rare to get a complete match anymore and everything is subtitled with the disclaimer that the full match can be seen on Honor Club. Which is beginning to begin an old pre-Sinclair bugaboo back to me.<p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It has been awhile since I have watched them, that sucks that they are doing that now. The funny thing is a few years ago I used to ask why they were showing their PPV matches on free TV. I wonder what the incentive was to pay to watch their pay-per-views if you could see the main event and usually some of the high profile lower card matches a couple of weeks later for free.</p><p> </p><p> Now they are going in the extreme opposite direction. Which has me thinking why would I watch their television show when I have to pay to see the results. That make me not want to watch their television.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Warhawk8492" data-cite="Warhawk8492" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>ROH needs to give the belt to Silas Young</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Just give the belt to Beer City Bruiser and call it a day. Everyone knows he is the best on that roster.</p><p> </p><p> Seriously though I really like Silas and I personally would not be angry if he were to win the title. But I really do not see him as a World Champion. But then again ROH have had a ton of questionable World Champions in the past (Xavier, Kyle O'Reilly, and Matt Taven come to mind) so he would not be out of place with the belt.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="TheGhost" data-cite="TheGhost" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So Maria Manic has officially resigned, maybe they will actually have her wrestle?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> They better have her do quite a bit, I think first time around we were all just supposed to be wowed by her aura by osmosis and it just wasn't happening.</p><p> OOOOOH!! "Maria Manic". I'm scared. The name sounds like a bad e-fed character and they should didn't do anything with her to make her feel meaningful enough to overlook that.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
Poor attendances. Rumblings of New Japan thinking twice about their partnership. Could be an exodus coming (Scurll, Rush, Bandido, Lee, Klein). According to Joey (backed up by Kelly Klein and BJ Whitmer) management is incompetent and Sinclair are doing nothing about it. They will be in a worse state than Impact by the end of the year if they aren't already.