The Official ROH Discussion Thread

Wrestling Century

with Marty as Head booker will that make it a little easier to say form a relationship with AEW as Marty is close to the guys in AEW?

Doubt it. There is zero benefit to AEW. ROH is a shell of its self. Their current tv format is god awful. If I wanted to watch highlights I’d go to YouTube.

It’s a good thing there is so much to choose from wrestling wise now.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Juanster" data-cite="Juanster" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>with Marty as Head booker will that make it a little easier to say form a relationship with AEW as Marty is close to the guys in AEW?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> There's already some sort of ROH/NWA partnership. Aldis and Marty are friends.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Juanster" data-cite="Juanster" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>with Marty as Head booker will that make it a little easier to say form a relationship with AEW as Marty is close to the guys in AEW?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Maybe in theory but couldn't really care less about that. Part of the reason RoH is such a shambles is over-reliance on such relationships. I'd be much more interested in what Marty getting the book means for RoH's native talent. Over the last five years you've got guys like Cedric Alexander, Moose, and the former Top Prospect winners/finalists they chased away who could have and arguably should have been big enough by now to have been world champions. Or perhaps be that world title away from being triple crown champs. They've fallen down badly over the past half decade when it comes to making their own stars. Forget what this means for partnerships. I want to see how this works out for a Shane Taylor. For a Flip Gordon. For an Eli Isom. Guys we've seen grow before our eyes under the RoH mantle. Will those types keep having to leave to fulfill their potential or will they get the chance to realize it in RoH?</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>ROH announced Doug Williams vs Jonathan Gresham for the Past and Present show and all I can think is “shut up and take my money”</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Amen to that, my brudda. That match should be a real barnburner.</p>

Amen to that, my brudda. That match should be a real barnburner.

If I had more disposal income, that would be an instant subscription to HonorClub, but that's not in the cards right now. Plus, Xavier vs Lethal was announced, which people joked on social media should've been vs Taven for worst World champ, but I disagree. It's interesting to me because they are both not necessarily what the fans wanted, either in terms of being gigantic stars or having 5 star classics, but in terms of being what the company needed at the time. Xavier: They needed a heel that could actually be booed but not terrible in ring. Lethal: they needed a legit Main Eventer that was long term and wouldn't leave them. True, neither of them had an amazing reign, but they served more than their intended purpose at the time. That concludes my random ramblings. :)

If I had more disposal income, that would be an instant subscription to HonorClub, but that's not in the cards right now. Plus, Xavier vs Lethal was announced, which people joked on social media should've been vs Taven for worst World champ, but I disagree. It's interesting to me because they are both not necessarily what the fans wanted, either in terms of being gigantic stars or having 5 star classics, but in terms of being what the company needed at the time. Xavier: They needed a heel that could actually be booed but not terrible in ring. Lethal: they needed a legit Main Eventer that was long term and wouldn't leave them. True, neither of them had an amazing reign, but they served more than their intended purpose at the time. That concludes my random ramblings. :)

Ummm, Lethal actually did have a pretty good reign. I mean he started it by holding the ROH World Title and the TV Title at the same time then held onto it for longer then anybody else. If he was actually doing poorly as a champion, they'd not have kept the belt on him for so long.

I don't watch ROH but it seems like the change in leadership has really helped. Marty's NJPW connections are keeping that partnership alive and he's pushing quality talent like Rush, Lee, Bandido and Gresham. Women of Honor is still in shambles, though. They need to either sign some female talent that aren't on WWE/AEW radars or give up on it.

Women of Honor is still in shambles, though. They need to either sign some female talent that aren't on WWE/AEW radars or give up on it.

Not to mention that since RoH TV became mostly a clip show, the less affluent fan is hardly ever going to get to see them now. You typically get one complete match a TV show. Two if they are generous with the main event. That's not enough air time for the guy or gal who can't afford Honor Club to even keep up with who's on the WoH roster.

Not to mention that since RoH TV became mostly a clip show, the less affluent fan is hardly ever going to get to see them now. You typically get one complete match a TV show. Two if they are generous with the main event. That's not enough air time for the guy or gal who can't afford Honor Club to even keep up with who's on the WoH roster.

Noticed that myself when I tuned in to see how things were going now that Scrull is booking. I had hoped the clip show format was only a one time thing and lemme tell you, I'm dismayed to hear that's the regular state of the show now.

Noticed that myself when I tuned in to see how things were going now that Scrull is booking. I had hoped the clip show format was only a one time thing and lemme tell you, I'm dismayed to hear that's the regular state of the show now.

Indeed. And I tell you it's totally changed how I watch RoH TV. Since they don't take the time to make it feel like a complete show, I don't give the show enough respect to watch it all in one sitting anymore. I'll watch maybe 20 minutes in my first sitting, catch the second piece midweek and the main event maybe Friday afternoon before the new eppy airs on Saturday night. Before the format change, I strove to see the whole episode at once. Or as much of it as possible before life decided to distract me. And even when life decided to disrupt my viewing, I'd finish the eppy as soon as possible after the distraction was over. I'm nowhere near that mindful with the current format.

Only real positive I can find in RoH TV today compared to the old format is Quinn McKay. I find her really charming and adorkable so she's a plus. But others on the TV side are hard to find.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
ROH announced they'll be doing tv tapings this month with no audience. Hopefully their testing regimen is better than WWE's initial one was. Hopefully with the relaunch they hit a sort of reset button and put out actual tv shows instead of clip shows.

Very much look forward to seeing what comes of that and I'm certainly with you as far as putting out actual TV shows. Clip shows and Honor Club infomercials should be reserved for things like Christmas week or the lull between TV seasons where it might be the best you have for that week.

Although I will say the spotlight shows they have been doing with guys since being locked down have been a very good idea. They let latecomers get familiar with the talent roster and showcase just how strong the talent pool is. Not to mention giving established fans opportunities to see guys in a different light. The Brody King episode was so good it enabled me to see how short I was selling the dude. But as well done as these spotlight episodes are, it is certainly starting to feel like time to get fresh material. Hopefully that can start coming soon.

Anybody else catch the Pure Tourney Bracketology? Really enjoyed it, would love to get some brackets going. :D

Nope. But was watching the first eppy of the tournament during breakfast this and that was an excellent show. First time I've watched a complete Ring of Honor episode in one sitting in quite a long time. Still had some of the clip show presentation but regardless it felt like the most complete episode of ROH TV I've seen in a year and a half. Even with the curated open from Quinn McKay and the matches so obviously being tape delayed. But both matches were complete. The promos were fully intact. Was no undue shilling of Honor Club or sense only members would get the complete experience. Given the current state our country's in, I'm plenty satisfied with how the show was aired.

Hopefully as we get more back to normal, the show will feel more and more like an in the moment show than a delayed event chopped up to promote the premium service. But the way they are airing this tournament is a good start. Much better point to build back up from than when events were halted to be sure.

Nope. But was watching the first eppy of the tournament during breakfast this and that was an excellent show. First time I've watched a complete Ring of Honor episode in one sitting in quite a long time. Still had some of the clip show presentation but regardless it felt like the most complete episode of ROH TV I've seen in a year and a half. Even with the curated open from Quinn McKay and the matches so obviously being tape delayed. But both matches were complete. The promos were fully intact. Was no undue shilling of Honor Club or sense only members would get the complete experience. Given the current state our country's in, I'm plenty satisfied with how the show was aired.

Hopefully as we get more back to normal, the show will feel more and more like an in the moment show than a delayed event chopped up to promote the premium service. But the way they are airing this tournament is a good start. Much better point to build back up from than when events were halted to be sure.

About to check it out, I'm very excited to see some of these guys tear it up in there. And the company that was the most gracious during the pandemic, seeing how they tackle the crowdless shows. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm not able to watch ROH due to not having internet or cable these days, but I do keep up with the results.

Little shocked EC3 showed up just to lose. I'm a long time fan of both EC3 and Shane Taylor. They got their starts wrestling locally. It's cool two local guys are in a major company. I'm interested to see where the EC3/Shane Taylor stuff goes nonetheless.

Also, very cool Gresham won the Pure Title tournament. I'm a huge fan. Still gutted we were robbed of Doug Williams vs Gresham due to covid.

• 1 month later...
Was randomly looking at Final Battle results and noticed a stable I hadn't heard of, The Foundation. It features Gresham, Lethal, Tracy Williams, and unfortunately Rhett Titus. Hoping Titus doesn't stick around too long. I've never been a fan of his. After looking at some promos it seems Gresham is the leader.

Was randomly looking at Final Battle results and noticed a stable I hadn't heard of, The Foundation. It features Gresham, Lethal, Tracy Williams, and unfortunately Rhett Titus. Hoping Titus doesn't stick around too long. I've never been a fan of his. After looking at some promos it seems Gresham is the leader.

It's a pretty new unit. Essentially an extension of the Gresham/Lethal tag team mixed with putting the Pure division over combined with trying to do Lifeblood right this time. That last part explaining the presence of Titus. Who like him or not you have to acknowledge is a heart and soul guy when it comes to RoH. And on that basis really should have been part of Lifeblood the first time around.

Was just watching this past week's RoH TV and I'll give you this as a Rhett Titus skeptic, Jaysin. The promo Rhett cut prior to the match with Delirious is probably the worst I've ever heard him cut. For a guy who's been such a proud showman all these years, it felt unnaturally serious and un-Tituslike. I hope the foray into the Pure division isn't going to suck the spirit out of him or I may end up where you are.