The Official ROH Discussion Thread

Wrestling Century

Was just watching this past week's RoH TV and I'll give you this as a Rhett Titus skeptic, Jaysin. The promo Rhett cut prior to the match with Delirious is probably the worst I've ever heard him cut. For a guy who's been such a proud showman all these years, it felt unnaturally serious and un-Tituslike. I hope the foray into the Pure division isn't going to suck the spirit out of him or I may end up where you are.

That is one of the main reasons why I was never a fan of Rhett. He reminds me of Mushmouth from Fat Albert. He is hard to understand and has a terrible speaking voice.

Also, what is up with that Danhausen dude? I get Klaus Nomi vibes from the dude. I wonder if that is what he is trying to go for.

Also, what is up with that Danhausen dude? I get Klaus Nomi vibes from the dude. I wonder if that is what he is trying to go for.

To be honest, I haven't really figured out Danhausen's deal yet. He kind of reminds me of that meme "I don't understand your particularly brand of crazy but I admire your commitment to it." Danhausen is a strange dude but in a way that feels totally original and organic. On that basis I rather like the guy. Whatever else he's going to be, he's certainly isn't going to be boring.

• 2 months later...

Randomly had the chance to watch the Anniversary show so decided to give ROH a shot. I have been following along with results, but can't remember the last time I watched the program.

That said, modern ROH is a shitshow. Just not a good show at all. One of the reasons I tuned in was to see my guys Shane Taylor and EC3 who I have followed for their entire careers. Shane was on the preshow and not on the PPV so I missed that sadly. I hate when companies put title matches on pre shows. I know six man titles are never important, but man, it devalues them even more.

Kenny King is nowhere near as good as he used to be. I expected him and Tracy Williams to have a banger, and it was...just there. Wasn't bad or anything, but not even remotely memorable.

Flip Gordon has bulked up, but he still sucks and Mark Briscoe is still doing the same gimmick he's done for 20 years and it's not appealing. Yawn.

I used to love Dalton Castle and I've heard a lot of good things about Josh Woods. Match was very middle of the road. Again, not bad, but not good either. I really liked Josh Woods look though. Silas in a suit was pretty dope. I did enjoy Silas turning on Woods and setting up for a match between them. That's one positive out of this snoozefest.

Finally time for the match I wanted to see the most, EC3 vs Jay Briscoe. Again, Jay has been doing the same tired gimmick for 20 years and it is very, very, very stale. The match was alright, but far too long. There was no reason for it to go twenty minutes. If they would have cut 5-10 minutes, it probably would have flowed better. It just seemed far too drawn out. EC3 looks like a megastar and is a good worker and he's losing to tired ass Jay Briscoe. Lame.

The lucha triple threat was laughable for the most part. I'm not anti spotfest by any means, but Jesus, there was literally no story told in the match itself. The announcers tried pushing storylines, but nothing the workers did showed what the announcers were trying to say. Couple cool spots though. The electric chair/vertical suplex spot was unique and I really dog that. Also, the muscle buster/senton was fun too. Each guy showed a lot of cool spots, but that's literally all the match was, spots.

I hate Vincent and I despite Matt Taven, skip.

Gresham vs Draper was probably match of the night. First time I had seen Draper wrestle after reading about him for like ever. Again, the match was too long and overstayed it's welcome. Matches going twenty-plus minutes don't automatically make a match epic. Instead it shows how incomplete some talents are. Gresham had an amazing spot where he did a suicide dive into a backpack sleeper. It was gnarly.

A match featuring Rhett Titus, Kenny King, and older than dirt Bestia del Ring? That's a big old skip. It's 2021. I refuse to watch Rhett Titus ever again if I have my say.

Main event was...nothing. Absolutely nothing. Wasn't remotely good by any standards. Lethal is good and I've seen Rush have some good performances, and this just wasn't good for either guy. I don't know who the road agent/producer was for this match, but it was designed horribly. Rush's family attacking was obvious just based on the results from tv I read. The only positive coming from this match is the new faction led by Brody King featuring Dickinson and Homicide. Homicide looks like he lost a ton of weight since his NWA run with Eddie Kingston.

If you're looking to get back into ROH, do not watch this show. It was as bad as Fastlane, maybe even worse.

• 1 month later...

Just read highlights of an interview with Dalton Castle and I don't understand why on earth he resigned with ROH.

After he won the ROH title from Cody Rhodes, he ended up breaking his back. He repeatedly told ROH he wanted to drop the title so he could go home and recover and they told him no and that it's not the story they want to tell. He said he could barely be on his feet for longer than three minutes, even just cutting promos. At least adrenaline is in effect for matches I guess, but he could have suffered an even bigger injury by working repeatedly with a broken back.

This isn't even the first time ROH has done something like this. Joey Mercury and Kelly Klein called out ROH over their lack of concussion protocol and making workers work while suffering from concussions and then ROH fired Kelly for speaking out.

I wish this company would just die and the talent can move on to better promotions. I feel like they've been flushed five million times but like a nugget of crap they just keep floating somehow.

I don't mind ROH. I love the Pure division, the matches are so detailed and rewarding for a returning viewer. The creativity with the rope breaks and the nuanced tactics that continue match-to-match absolutely carry the company.

Outside of the Pure division as a whole, I enjoy LFI, the Foundation and, for the most part, Shane Taylor Promotions.

I don't mind ROH. I love the Pure division, the matches are so detailed and rewarding for a returning viewer. The creativity with the rope breaks and the nuanced tactics that continue match-to-match absolutely carry the company.

Outside of the Pure division as a whole, I enjoy LFI, the Foundation and, for the most part, Shane Taylor Promotions.

Yeah, I'm definitely an ROH faithful. I like the way they talk about their roster, titles, and history. The talent work very hard. Pure division especially have revitalized the company. Fred Yehi stands out to me, especially. Gresham is a machine as well.

• 1 month later...
BITW was really good! The Pure title match was probably my favourite of the night. As for the main event, I find Rush's gimmick of blatantly cheating in front of the ref and getting away with it in title matches to be really tiring so it was a pleasant surprise.

I read over the results and I have to say I am very out of touch with the product. I did not know who half the people were on the card. Every other name I found myself saying, "Who is that?"

This is not me saying ROH is not good, this is me saying I have not watched it in maybe two years and the roster has changed so drastically in that time period. Everyone that watched it seemed to like it (Obviously that is just from people who I have read talking about it.) so I guess that is a good sign.

• 4 weeks later...
Just looked at the Glory By Honor cards and Flip Gordon is main eventing against Bandido? That'll put butts in the seats :rolleyes:

After the Marty thing, I'm stunned they're still open honestly. It's not like they have a bevy of main event talent i'm dying to see.

• 2 months later...

It's baffling to me how long they've kept people on full-time contracts, given how few shows they've been able to promote in front of paying fans.

I hope the Ring of Honor name and branding and lineage continues in some way. Even if it's scale way back.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="James The Animator" data-cite="James The Animator" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I never alleged that ROH has always been the best place to work; that would be absurd. I just think it’s important to note that on a shoestring budget, they prioritized their talents’ income over their own profits, when the biggest company in the business couldn’t manage that. I agree that besides my note, ROH’s management has been garbage for a long time. It’s a tragic irony that Greg the Office Boy is probably sticking around longer than most of the wrestlers.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Greg was always prioerty of sinclair so its expected</p>

<p>From Fightful: "According to Justin Barrasso of Sports Illustrated, the Ring of Honor tape library (the Sinclair-owned archive from 2012 on) is available to the highest bidder and has been available for over a year. The tape library includes the footage to All In. AEW owns the trademark to All In, but ROH has the footage to the event."</p><p> </p><p>

It would be cool for AEW to buy it. I hope it happens.</p>

It's baffling to me how long they've kept people on full-time contracts, given how few shows they've been able to promote in front of paying fans.

I hope the Ring of Honor name and branding and lineage continues in some way. Even if it's scale way back.

Honestly, I think they've been wanting to sell for a while and wanted to keep the talent roster together just in case. Whoever is buying them, probably just wants the tape library.

Well, since Seth Rollins & AJ Styles are big names in WWE now, you have to think WWE could potentially be interested in acquiring those tapes as well. I don’t necessarily want that to happen, but I can foresee it.

I can see any of NJPW, AEW, or WWE buying it. And it makes the least sense for WWE, because they don't care about holding onto subscribers anymore. That's NBC's job now.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...