Official NFL Discussion Thread

Stennick

As for this being the Vikings year, um, I dunno about that. Who's your #1 receiver? Who's your kicker? Who's replacing Pat Williams? Who's replacing Ray Edwards (assuming he signs elsewhere, which is likely)? There's a starting corner missing (Lito's an FA), the offense has holes, and some of the biggest pieces of the defense are missing. Training camps will have started and new signings can't actually participate in camp until next week (the 4th) and a lot of teams (the Vikings among them) still have largely unsettled rosters. I don't think it's safe to say it's anyone's year just yet.

Until the holes Remi mentions are filled (oh, and we need help in the O-Line too), I'm not going to be jumping up and down.

The Vikings' team blog suggests that Michael Jenkins may have an inside track because of his prior relationship with Musgrave in Atlanta. I'm personally not convinced he's an equivalent talent to Rice. Personally, I'd like to see them go after James Jones, if only to piss off Aaron Rodgers.

Ryan Longwell re-signed, so kicker is not an issue.

I think we already have the answer for DE - Brian Robison should be able to step up into Edwards' slot if Edwards leaves. [EDIT: Edwards going to Atlanta, per Jay Glazer @Fox Sports]

The rest, we'll have to see how things shake out. Biggest priorities to me are the WR and DT situation (we released Jimmy Kennedy, so we almost have to go to the market to replace Pat Williams).

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until the holes Remi mentions are filled (oh, and we need help in the O-Line too), I'm not going to be jumping up and down.

The Vikings' team blog suggests that Michael Jenkins may have an inside track because of his prior relationship with Musgrave in Atlanta. I'm personally not convinced he's an equivalent talent to Rice. Personally, I'd like to see them go after James Jones, if only to piss off Aaron Rodgers.

Ryan Longwell re-signed, so kicker is not an issue.

I think we already have the answer for DE - Brian Robison should be able to step up into Edwards' slot if Edwards leaves. [EDIT: Edwards going to Atlanta, per Jay Glazer @Fox Sports]

The rest, we'll have to see how things shake out. Biggest priorities to me are the WR and DT situation (we released Jimmy Kennedy, so we almost have to go to the market to replace Pat Williams).

I know James, great guy. However, I worry about his abilities as a Number 1 or 2 receiver. The same problems he had in college are still there; he just seems to lose concentration at times and drops passes he needs to catch to be a number 1 or 2 guy.

It took him a long time to become that number 1 guy in college primarily because he just couldn't keep the ball off the ground (drops and fumbles) and he was prone to some mental errors (forgetting his routes) in practice. Don't get me wrong he always worked hard and has all the physical tools just seems to lose concentration now and then.

But still just a great guy and I'll always be pulling for him to work it out and become that great #1 receiver that he has the potential to be.

I feel bad for Philly fans and anyone stupid enough to think VY being on their team is a benefit to them. Two QBs? Why removes a blocker or one of the Eagles many talented targets to put some childish, over-hyped hack on the field? Just to give Vick an extra challenge (on account of him being kinda on the awesome side (in terms of his on field play))? Vince Young is no Donovan McNabb... he's not even an AJ Feeley. I wouldn't be shocked to see them try it, and hey, maybe they'll get lucky... but in the end it'd just be another gimmick play that'd work at best maybe once next season. Eagles are much better off letting Vick stay on the field and do his thing.

Odd, I'll need to dig up the quote (probably in this thread) but weren't you one of the people saying the same thing about Michael Vick? "He's just a scrambler", "He's not a real quarterback", etc? And have you actually watched tape of when the Eagles ran plays with both Vick and McNabb on the field? I don't honestly see how you could say the above if you had. 11 plays, five of which caused the defense to call timeout. Three caused defensive audibles into zone coverage schemes (which freed up DeSean for a long gain once). 8 positive results from 11 plays with no turnovers (the final three were incomplete passes). Now, you show me a play or scheme that can create those positive odds. I think 8 is more than 'once'.

You're also completely ignoring several facts (not opinions, facts supported by evidence):

1) Andy Reid is a highly respected developer of quarterbacks

2) Michael Vick knows exactly what it takes to become a well rounded quarterback and not just a runner with an arm (and it's fresh in his mind)

3) Michael Vick knows exactly how it feels to have people write you off as a lost cause (again, fresh in his mind)

4) Andy Reid is notorious for getting the most out of any and every player he can get his hands on, on offense (how many tight ends were taken before Brent Celek? (7) Have those tight ends performed better? (Only Greg Olson and Zach Miller even come close) Who was willing to sign Michael Vick and actually use him at quarterback? What's the chances of Kevin Kolb actually performing well AWAY from Andy's influence?)

I see both Andy Reid and Michael Vick having extremely positive influences on Vince and I will be ecstatic to see when he does exactly what Mike Vick did to silence all those people who felt he was a lost cause. Of course, they won't actually shut up, they'll make excuses as to why they're still right. And I'll take it one step further. For all those haters who don't understand how locker room influences and tradition work (as well as how utterly inferior the Titans & Bengals offensive staffs and the Redskins' defensive staff are), Albert Haynesworth AND Ochocinco are going to make the Pro Bowl this year. Vince Young's first TD pass as an Eagle is going to be a bomb (over 30 yards) off a scramble, to Jeremy Maclin. And if you think you can prep for VY like you prep for Vick, you haven't read what you wrote (or actually seen Vick perform last season).

Mixed feelings on Kolb heading to Arizona... No no no, it's a great move for the Cards (even if losing DRG will hurt). I think Kolb is a very capable QB, and it'll mean Fitzgerald is back to being super scary. I just hate the fact my Rams will have to deal with that.

Odd. Kolb is a "very capable QB" with seven starts under his belt (and NONE in meaningful games) but Vince Young sucks despite having a winning record as a starter (in FAR more games) and playoff experience? Kolb's best statistical game as a pro came in a game where the team HAD to abandon the run and throw throw throw due to being so far behind. I don't see it. I think Kolb is going to seriously falter away from the Eagles. His decision making can easily be called into question and even with this acquisition, he could very well be dealing with an entirely new set of receivers next season (no guarantee Larry's coming back or that the Cards will be able to afford him). Larry could conceivably go home (Minnesota) and work with Donovan (who will come close to returning to his old form) and Christian Ponder.

And it's totally going to be the Patriots year, again. Belichick has a way with players with personality problems, and Haynesworth has a pay check to play for: means he'll likely actually show up this year. And Ocho is no Randy Moss, but I think he'll shine in New England's system (and with Brady throwing him the ball and Welker being generally awesome across from him!). With Fat Albert hungry for more than cake, and another geniune #1 reciever lining up with another #1 WR, ontop of what the Patriots already have... yeah.

In the Patriots' scheme, Ocho is going to be a Z so he'll benefit more from Rob & Aaron (the tight ends) than he will from Welker. The money isn't going to be the thing that motivates Albert. What will motivate him are those silver trophies AND the fact that THIS coaching staff (unlike the last one) is going to use him very much like Jim Schwartz did in Tennessee. They're going to move him around and find mismatches that will work in his favor. There will be many occasions when he's on the field at the same time Vince Wilfork is and with stunts and zone blitzes with Jerod Mayo, he'll have shots at picks and sacks. And again, this franchise isn't the dysfunctional Redskins. This franchise expects to win every game they participate in. This franchise has leaders on that defense that set a tone that everyone else tries to meet or exceed. And he'll be working in practice against one of the best guards in the game in Logan Mankins. Again, barring injury, Albert's going to the Pro Bowl.

It really cannot be exaggerated how powerful the locker room can be to a team's performance. Look at what happened when Rex took over the Jets. The attitude on that team did a complete 180 and overcame a shaky season from a rookie quarterback to far exceed expectations. You think the Steelers and Ravens defenses remain top notch solely due to first round picks (i.e. top tier talent) being added? For example, the moment Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak and the Texans organization decides that 8-8 is not good enough, they'll make strides forward. I feel sorry for Dre because I don't see that ever happening. He's going to wind up like Cris Carter. :(

Nnamdi to the Eagles is scary though. DRC, Nnamdi, Asante Samuel (assuming they don't trade him), yikes! No dropoff in performance when facing Posse formations. Man, can't wait to see what happens next week (when all the "dead money" on every team's cap disappears and teams can REALLY spend the dough).

In fact, Chris Kluwe (the punter, and current owner of the #5 jersey) has already set his terms for giving McNabb that number.

Kluwe is a shrewd negotiator - the deal is done and the contract has been signed, seal-thingy-ed and recorded for posterity:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Kluwe-McNabb-Agree-To-Terms-On-No-5/d276a4b4-fdee-47cb-8ea7-d3761ea53e3a

Odd, I'll need to dig up the quote (probably in this thread) but weren't you one of the people saying the same thing about Michael Vick? "He's just a scrambler", "He's not a real quarterback", etc? And have you actually watched tape of when the Eagles ran plays with both Vick and McNabb on the field? I don't honestly see how you could say the above if you had. 11 plays, five of which caused the defense to call timeout. Three caused defensive audibles into zone coverage schemes (which freed up DeSean for a long gain once). 8 positive results from 11 plays with no turnovers (the final three were incomplete passes). Now, you show me a play or scheme that can create those positive odds. I think 8 is more than 'once'.

You're also completely ignoring several facts (not opinions, facts supported by evidence):

1) Andy Reid is a highly respected developer of quarterbacks

2) Michael Vick knows exactly what it takes to become a well rounded quarterback and not just a runner with an arm (and it's fresh in his mind)

3) Michael Vick knows exactly how it feels to have people write you off as a lost cause (again, fresh in his mind)

4) Andy Reid is notorious for getting the most out of any and every player he can get his hands on, on offense (how many tight ends were taken before Brent Celek? (7) Have those tight ends performed better? (Only Greg Olson and Zach Miller even come close) Who was willing to sign Michael Vick and actually use him at quarterback? What's the chances of Kevin Kolb actually performing well AWAY from Andy's influence?)

I see both Andy Reid and Michael Vick having extremely positive influences on Vince and I will be ecstatic to see when he does exactly what Mike Vick did to silence all those people who felt he was a lost cause. Of course, they won't actually shut up, they'll make excuses as to why they're still right. And I'll take it one step further. For all those haters who don't understand how locker room influences and tradition work (as well as how utterly inferior the Titans & Bengals offensive staffs and the Redskins' defensive staff are), Albert Haynesworth AND Ochocinco are going to make the Pro Bowl this year. Vince Young's first TD pass as an Eagle is going to be a bomb (over 30 yards) off a scramble, to Jeremy Maclin. And if you think you can prep for VY like you prep for Vick, you haven't read what you wrote (or actually seen Vick perform last season).

Odd. Kolb is a "very capable QB" with seven starts under his belt (and NONE in meaningful games) but Vince Young sucks despite having a winning record as a starter (in FAR more games) and playoff experience? Kolb's best statistical game as a pro came in a game where the team HAD to abandon the run and throw throw throw due to being so far behind. I don't see it. I think Kolb is going to seriously falter away from the Eagles. His decision making can easily be called into question and even with this acquisition, he could very well be dealing with an entirely new set of receivers next season (no guarantee Larry's coming back or that the Cards will be able to afford him). Larry could conceivably go home (Minnesota) and work with Donovan (who will come close to returning to his old form) and Christian Ponder.

1. I NEVER said that about Vick, ever. I've always thought the man was a tremendous talent, as he's actually a capable passer while being a scrambler, which is a rarity. In fact, I have an old pair of Vicks I bought in high school sitting in the garage somewhere. If you can dig up a quote of me saying it, then I need to change my password cause someone else posted on my name, but please don't put words in my mouth (lord knows where they've been).

2. Okay 11 plays, most of which just forced timeouts... which is handy, but you can throw out any zany looking formation for the same net result. Throw D-Jax into the gun with Vick split off at WR, most defenses will call a timeout. It's useful, I agree, but not to the point of being a huge game changer. It could be a fun trick play, but nothing more incredible than any other trick play.

3. You're right, Young had a winning record... but in despite of Vince Young. Go look at HIS stats. The Titans were winning thanks to their running game and their defense. With a couple of exceptions, they folded whenever Vince was forced to throw. To his credit, last year he actually had a respectable TD to INT ratio, the only time so far in his career. Still, lifetime he's thrown just as many TDs and INTs, and that's NOT a good thing. By your logic, Trent Dilfer is an amazing QB cause he was the QB when the Ravens won the Super Bowl. QB=/= the team, and the majority of the Titans success when VY was QB goes to Chris Johnson and their defense.

3-a. Oh, and his best statistical year came also in the year the Titans went 6-10. Teams put eight in the box to stop CJ, Titans lose almost all their talent on defense, VY is forced to start chunking the rock, Titans lose.

4. Only counting his starts, Kolb has consistently been over 60% completions, and has thrown more TDs than INTs. The next Kurt Warner he is not, but from all the film (including preseason) I've ever seen of him he's always been accurate and dependable enough. He's an upgrade from the current selection of fail they had.

5. Only Vince Young can prevent Vince Young from being a lost cause. But, as recent as the end of the last season, I've heard him proclaiming his own greatness and demanding that he should be starting somewhere. He comes off just as arrogant, self-absorbed, and overall assholish as he was when he played here in Houston. I fondly remember a newspaper article in the Chronicle where he was interviewed saying, I quote "I was the reason we won that game, and we couldn't have done it without me". I like Reid, I like Vick, but they have their work cut out for them when it comes to adjusting VY's attitude, cause so far absolutely nothing has in over a decade. And if he can't humble himself and get off his high horse he can never be an effective leader, and if you can't be an effective leader you can't be a good QB: ask Ryan Leaf.

6. LOL at you bringing up VY's "playoff experience" and mentioning "play in big games". Yeah, that one playoff game in the 2007 season where he went 16-29 for 138 yards, 0 TDs and 1 INT...

7. Matt Hasselbeck never played more than preseason really until the Seahawks took him, and that was enough evidence alone for me to know they made a good, dependable, if unspectacular grab, and I see the same in Kevin Kolb. He's not super exciting, he's not a future hall of famer, but he's also not the kind of guy that actively hurts the team.

8. Cause 8's a fun number... well, guess I can use it: Vince Young HAS the physical talent to be a star QB in the NFL, it's always been his mental state that has left him labeled a bust. I'd like to think Reid is a good enough guy and Vick, having gone through so much personaly, can be role models to a guy like Young... but maybe it isn't possible. Maybe Young is too full of himself and too stupid to realize that the only thing holding him back is truly himself. Not every douchebag is a wonderful story of change waiting to happen. Sometimes, they're just douchebags. Ask every teenage girl who dated "the bad boy".

1. I NEVER said that about Vick, ever. I've always thought the man was a tremendous talent, as he's actually a capable passer while being a scrambler, which is a rarity. In fact, I have an old pair of Vicks I bought in high school sitting in the garage somewhere. If you can dig up a quote of me saying it, then I need to change my password cause someone else posted on my name, but please don't put words in my mouth (lord knows where they've been).

2. Okay 11 plays, most of which just forced timeouts... which is handy, but you can throw out any zany looking formation for the same net result. Throw D-Jax into the gun with Vick split off at WR, most defenses will call a timeout. It's useful, I agree, but not to the point of being a huge game changer. It could be a fun trick play, but nothing more incredible than any other trick play.

3. You're right, Young had a winning record... but in despite of Vince Young. Go look at HIS stats. The Titans were winning thanks to their running game and their defense. With a couple of exceptions, they folded whenever Vince was forced to throw. To his credit, last year he actually had a respectable TD to INT ratio, the only time so far in his career. Still, lifetime he's thrown just as many TDs and INTs, and that's NOT a good thing. By your logic, Trent Dilfer is an amazing QB cause he was the QB when the Ravens won the Super Bowl. QB=/= the team, and the majority of the Titans success when VY was QB goes to Chris Johnson and their defense.

3-a. Oh, and his best statistical year came also in the year the Titans went 6-10. Teams put eight in the box to stop CJ, Titans lose almost all their talent on defense, VY is forced to start chunking the rock, Titans lose.

4. Only counting his starts, Kolb has consistently been over 60% completions, and has thrown more TDs than INTs. The next Kurt Warner he is not, but from all the film (including preseason) I've ever seen of him he's always been accurate and dependable enough. He's an upgrade from the current selection of fail they had.

5. Only Vince Young can prevent Vince Young from being a lost cause. But, as recent as the end of the last season, I've heard him proclaiming his own greatness and demanding that he should be starting somewhere. He comes off just as arrogant, self-absorbed, and overall assholish as he was when he played here in Houston. I fondly remember a newspaper article in the Chronicle where he was interviewed saying, I quote "I was the reason we won that game, and we couldn't have done it without me". I like Reid, I like Vick, but they have their work cut out for them when it comes to adjusting VY's attitude, cause so far absolutely nothing has in over a decade. And if he can't humble himself and get off his high horse he can never be an effective leader, and if you can't be an effective leader you can't be a good QB: ask Ryan Leaf.

6. LOL at you bringing up VY's "playoff experience" and mentioning "play in big games". Yeah, that one playoff game in the 2007 season where he went 16-29 for 138 yards, 0 TDs and 1 INT...

7. Matt Hasselbeck never played more than preseason really until the Seahawks took him, and that was enough evidence alone for me to know they made a good, dependable, if unspectacular grab, and I see the same in Kevin Kolb. He's not super exciting, he's not a future hall of famer, but he's also not the kind of guy that actively hurts the team.

8. Cause 8's a fun number... well, guess I can use it: Vince Young HAS the physical talent to be a star QB in the NFL, it's always been his mental state that has left him labeled a bust. I'd like to think Reid is a good enough guy and Vick, having gone through so much personaly, can be role models to a guy like Young... but maybe it isn't possible. Maybe Young is too full of himself and too stupid to realize that the only thing holding him back is truly himself. Not every douchebag is a wonderful story of change waiting to happen. Sometimes, they're just douchebags. Ask every teenage girl who dated "the bad boy".

1. I could be mistaking you for someone else, since there were many (MANY) people saying that. If that is the case, I apologize.

2. Show me one. DeSean under center with Vick split out only screams "end around" or "option pass", both of which aren't enough to force an NFL defense to brain lock. This is especially the case if Vick goes in motion. I'm not talking hypotheticals here, I'm talking fact backed up by tape.

3. You're kidding, right? By my logic, Trent Dilfer was the perfect quarterback for that Ravens team because they needed a GAME MANAGER, not a "superstar" or "playmaker". They only needed him to hand off and not throw picks. It's the same reason Brad Johnson had a successful career. It's what Rich Gannon was before he got to the Raiders. You're trying to compare apples to hubcaps. Have you even thought to look at Kolb's career numbers? 11 TD, 14 picks, 73.2 QB rating is "a very capable QB"? In whose estimation? Also, for all your "look at his stats" perspective, go look at the stats of some of the "all-time greats" and come back and support that notion. There's only one stat that matters, that quarterbacks are primarily judged on: W-L. You can make all the excuses in the world (or "explanations"), but that's the bottom line. If he lost 50-49, he still lost (even if he didn't throw a single pick). Do you give him a pass because his defense/special teams "failed"? Is Joe Flacco not a good quarterback because he has Ray Rice, LeRon McClain and that defense?

a. What is it with you and stats? Aaron Rodgers' best statistical year was 2009 but who the hell cares? He won the Super Bowl during a "down" year, stats wise. I'd almost guarantee that every quarterback in the league would make that trade.

4. Yeah, I'm sure all the GMs in the league use that criteria to judge players. "Let's only count his starts".

5. This is where a positive environment comes in. After a full year of being told he's a POS, walking into Eagles camp where the entire team is telling him he's an integral part of the success of the team (and showing him their words aren't mere words) will do a lot to boost his confidence. He's not ever going to challenge Vick's position (at least not publicly or out loud) but he'll learn how to be a complete passer so next year around this time, he'll have a lot more suitors to choose from.

6. Playoff experience is huge, whether a player performed well or not. It's a completely different environment from the regular season. Having been there is a big deal. But then, since only stats matter...:rolleyes:

7. Um, you're forgetting one thing. The person who traded for him, KNEW HIM WELL. That wasn't a deal that casual fans made. It was a deal made by a person who knew a player very well (from working with him since he was drafted) and seeing something he needed in said player. Did you even know that? This situation has NOTHING to do with Kolb or Young. There is no one on the Cards staff that had worked extensively with Kevin Kolb since he was drafted. Likewise, there is no one on the Eagles staff who had worked extensively with Vince Young since he was drafted (unless you count Jim Washburn who was D-line coach with the Titans. But it's not nearly the same as position coach for a QB). In other words, there was no real insider info on either player. Mike Holmgren knew Matt Hasselbeck from having worked with him extensively.

I'm wondering if we're even talking about the same game here. I mean, I can understand people's stats obsessions, what with fantasy football and all. But if that's all that matters, why is Vince Wilfork making so much money? Why is Casey Hampton? Why the hell are the Ravens so hot to lock up Haloti Ngata? His stats suck! Why is Nnamdi since his "stats" are rather pedestrian (and casual fans can't tell you why that is)? Vince Young is going to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt, the quality of the Eagles offensive staff and locker room. They might never win a Super Bowl (though they're scary as hell right now) but they can develop the hell out of players on offense.

I think its laughable that you're saying that Young's awful playoff experiance was still valuable because it was the "playoffs". I'm sorry but a game were someone goes 16/29 with no TD's and a pick is never a "valuable" experiance. If it was the Super Bowl you could maybe say that the "media blitz won't be such a shocker next time around" but the playoffs. There is no more media for the playoffs especially the first two rounds than say the Giants deal with on a weekly basis.

I think its laughable that you're saying that Young's awful playoff experiance was still valuable because it was the "playoffs". I'm sorry but a game were someone goes 16/29 with no TD's and a pick is never a "valuable" experiance. If it was the Super Bowl you could maybe say that the "media blitz won't be such a shocker next time around" but the playoffs. There is no more media for the playoffs especially the first two rounds than say the Giants deal with on a weekly basis.

'kay. Let's just say that I'll take the word of every former player, coach, and GM who has related that opinion over yours. The old axiom has become rote because it's true: you learn more from failure than success. But you continue to believe that one game of playoff experience (whether good, bad, or indifferent) isn't worth anything. Meanwhile, those borderline players on playoff teams who get big bucks specifically because they've "been there" kinda makes your belief look silly. Just like one outstanding playoff game performance doesn't and shouldn't define a player's talent level, likewise one bad playoff performance doesn't and shouldn't define a player's talent level. That is, unless you think Dexter Jackson was actually a great player. :rolleyes: Though I suppose you might if your view extends in the opposite direction (OMG Super Bowl MVP! Hall of Fame!!).

'kay. Let's just say that I'll take the word of every former player, coach, and GM who has related that opinion over yours. The old axiom has become rote because it's true: you learn more from failure than success. But you continue to believe that one game of playoff experience (whether good, bad, or indifferent) isn't worth anything. Meanwhile, those borderline players on playoff teams who get big bucks specifically because they've "been there" kinda makes your belief look silly. Just like one outstanding playoff game performance doesn't and shouldn't define a player's talent level, likewise one bad playoff performance doesn't and shouldn't define a player's talent level. That is, unless you think Dexter Jackson was actually a great player. :rolleyes: Though I suppose you might if your view extends in the opposite direction (OMG Super Bowl MVP! Hall of Fame!!).

So Vince Young has just spent all of this time failing cause he'd learn faster, awesome. Considering that in college he still didn't know how the Dewey Decimal System works (yes, this is a fact, you can drive down to Texas and talk to some folks I'm dearly close to if you don't believe me), I guess that'd explain why it's taken him so long to learn.

And just to go back without making an even more massive quote...

1. I said taking Kolbs STARTS, he's been very solid. If you count his first playing time, when he came in off the bench for his very first regular season playing time mid-game... yeah, he stunk it up. But how many first or second year guys who have never played in a real NFL game do you know who just jump off the bench, probably having held the clipboard through practice, and light it up? Looking at the games HE was going into as the starter, Kevin Kolb has been nothing but decent. Incredible? Hardly. But he's thrown smart and accurate enough to pull his weight, which is more than I can say for Derek Anderson. My whole point here is that he's an upgrade for Arizona, good enough to get Fitzgerald back into the game, and that's a good thing for them. Watching his mechanics, watching how he reads the field and releases the ball... I'd be shocked if he totally bombed in Arizona. Course, Arizona is where football players go to die, but... I think he's good enough to start.

2. Really? You're gonna call Trent Dilfer a great QB simply cause he was on the team that won the Super Bowl with a straight face? All that Dilfer had to do was not lose the game, that's it. In their Super Bowl run, Dilfer only completed more than 10 passes ONCE in the playoffs, with a whopping 12 in the big game itself. He also only went over 50% completions once in the wild card round (and right at 50% in the championship game). Don't get me wrong, Dilfer not losing the game is still more than a lot of QBs probably could've pulled off. A great QB, one truly perfect for the job, would be one that can potentially win the game itself rather than just focus on making sure he doesn't ruin the chances for the running game and the defense to do it. If the defense had faltered, do you really think Dilfer would've been the guy to get them back into the game? He didn't lose the game, but he didn't win it either. If you don't understand that, then you don't understand football and I kindly suggest you start following a different sport. I've heard good things about curling. But for someone who claims to be so knowledgable of the sport and not "watch it like a casual fan", it seems to me, a Texan who eats, drinks, breaths, lives, and once upon a time played football that you don't grasp the sport as well as you think you do. Do NOT insult me by thinking I'm just some simple Southern bumpkin who has zero clue to the intricacies of the sport, because honestly that's the impression I'm getting from you right now.

And stop comparing stats of Cornerbacks and Lineman to that of Quarterbacks. Anyone with a pair of brain cells to rub together can tell you that an excellent CB has unimpressive stats because:

1. Smart offenses throw away from them

2. Worse CBs (and Safeties, particularyl FS's) put up higher stats because the ball DOES get thrown at them, typically resulting in them getting more tackles from the guys they can't cover properly in addition to more opportunities to make a play on the. I spent a good chunk of years as a CB and FS, so again, don't insult me. But if a QB throws an uncatchable ball or one right into the waiting arms of a defender, it's typically on the QB (unless, you know, he gets blindsided as he released without ever having a hope of seeing the rusher... or the ball gets picked cause the WR forgets it's football and not volleyball).

It's apples and oranges, and I'm not sure if you don't get that or if you're arrogant enough to believe that I don't.

OK, so this is just...odd.

As I type I am in the Oakland airport, waiting to get a ride to my parent's house, where I'm staying for the week while I do some project work out here.

So the programmed announcements lady has been repeating over the past half hour. "Zach Miller, Zach Miller, please dial the operator from a white courtesy phone."

After the third time it hits me. Could it be the Raiders' TE?....Nah.

Maybe??

/looks around

• 4 weeks later...

So I was watching NFL Network last night for the their live look in show and a couple of funny things caught my attention.

1) Rich Eisen, Warren Sapp, or Marshall Faulk should never announce for a live game ever.

2) Dennis Dixon came on to the field last night wearing 10 and had a visor on and Eisen goes "Is the Kordell Stewart?". Sapp says "No, it's Dixon" then Sapp said "Slash never wore a visor" and I kid you not Eisen goes "Who?"

3) They were looking in on the Cards game and Faulk compared a forth year QB to a rookie (Kevin Kolb) saying that you give the type of money Kolb got to rookies and they sit a couple years and the Kolb wont get that chance? I understand the lockout cut his learning curve of the new offense, but we are still talking about a 4th year guy.

4) I really just don't believe Sapp likes Eisen and Eisen is just an awkward host. Throwing in random facts while the other guys are trying to talk just makes it annoying to watch and listen to him.

Yeah... so... pay CJ or Tennessee will riot! :p

More like I riot: he's on my fantasy squad!

Who cares if Tennesse riots, just a bunch of toothless folks with banjos flinging 'possums at the capitol building/feed store. :p

I keed, I keed!

But seriously, they need to sign him. Still, their current attitude lends some creedance to my theory that Bud Adams is trying to hold onto as much of his wealth as he can before his relocation to Hell. Bet he has his eyes on a nice place right on the edge of a lake of fire. Pay the man, Bud, CJ is probably the best guy in the league at his position, one of the best offensive weapons in the league (and the best on the Titans), and it'd be a damn shame to have him sitting on the sidelines cause they had too much pride to give him what he probably deserves. And really, that's what I'm seeing right now: the Titans front office cares more about standing their ground than they do their own fans (and franchise). Yes, CJ is a bit guilty too... but he also deserves to be paid substantially more than he's currently set to recieve, based on the wages and talent levels of his fellow NFL players.