The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

I would rather see him go against Marquardt/Okami loser or Maia if he wins, while the Wanderlei rematch might satisfy him personally I just dont see the gains from it, Wanderlei isn't considered a top 10 fighter anymore and everyones kind of accepted that by now. Of course since he did lose to him Bispings chances of losing to Wanderlei are quite possible which would throw him off the "title track" that he's on...13 fights and five years later... I just don't think the gains outweight the losses. If he wins its "yeah well you really should have won the first fight as well and Wanderlei's far from his prime" if he loses its an i told you so and push the reset on the title run. Wish there was a legit top guy for him to fight right now to test himself. I guess there's also Anthony Johnson if he decides to fight at 185 when he returns.

I'm actually one of the few people that think Lesnar is going to absolutely maul Velasquez. Think Brock is going to come into this one feeling like he has something to prove due to how the early round of his fight with Carwin went. I think this one is going to the ground and Cain is going to get "Brock/Mir II'd".

I think Shields wins a decision over Kampmann.

Hamill with a TKO over Ortiz.

Paulo Thiago with a decision over Sanchez.

Schaub by TKO

I also see Brock dominating to a quick TKO through his strength, wrestling and ground & pound being so superior. Brock can take a punch, but Velazquez always has the chance for a stoppage through his good striking.

I hope Shields and Hamill win their matches, I like those guys.

My predictions:

Lesnar by TKO round 2

Shields by decision

Thiago by submission round 3

Hamill by TKO round 3

Schaub by decision

McGee by submission round 3

Cote by TKO round 2

Guymon by decision

Stout by TKO round 2

Dong Yi Yang by decision

Yvel by KO round 1

On the Bisping debate, it's got to be Maia really. The UFC are praying that Grove doesn't beat him, else they face the prospect of putting Mike in with the winner of Nate/Okami.

It's gone past the point of wanting now...they need Bisping to win, now more than ever. Pearson, Hathaway and Hardy have all been literally or figuratively crushed in the past few weeks...Bisping is the only Brit with any kind of momentum. For my money, Maia is the most winnable fight at MW for Bisping in terms of top guys.

What I would have liked to see is Leben fighting Wand instead of Stann, with Bisping fighting Maia maybe a month or so later and the winners facing off for a title shot after the Okami/Marquardt winner gets theirs.

On the Bisping debate, it's got to be Maia really. The UFC are praying that Grove doesn't beat him, else they face the prospect of putting Mike in with the winner of Nate/Okami.

It's gone past the point of wanting now...they need Bisping to win, now more than ever. Pearson, Hathaway and Hardy have all been literally or figuratively crushed in the past few weeks...Bisping is the only Brit with any kind of momentum. For my money, Maia is the most winnable fight at MW for Bisping in terms of top guys.

What I would have liked to see is Leben fighting Wand instead of Stann, with Bisping fighting Maia maybe a month or so later and the winners facing off for a title shot after the Okami/Marquardt winner gets theirs.

/nod, this Stann fight...well, I have no idea who Brian Stann is, so after Leben's last win, it was quite underwhelming. And now the whole thing with the DUI as well...plus in various videos Wand himself and Dana were teasing the Leben fight, so I don't quite get it, he loses to this guy and it's all gone wrong when Leben/Wand would surely be absolutely epic and could be a co main event. Instead it's behind Carwin/Nelson and on a card headlined by Edgar/Maynard. Makes no sense to me.

Here's the thing. If Bisping can keep it standing, and I'm not so sure he can, he will win against Maia via Decision. However, it will be a not-so-exciting fight, because Maia isn't a striker. And if Maia goes down, will Bisping go down with him? If he does, he loses. We might have another "Werdum" all over again if that happens.

The real question is, is Maia's takedowns good enough? If it is, he will win.

Yes! =D

Also no interview for shields? lol still getting a title shot? Think the weight cut hurt him but he barely tried any submissions. Still, he stands as good a chance as any as GSP and would force GSP to mix it up, so it's a match that makes sense. Would be kinda interested to see him vs. Fitch as well, haha.

edit; HOLY ****

Good God Cain is an absolute monster.

I'm not so sure. I think Brock has several inter-related problems.

They are:

1. Not-so-good chin

2. Not-so-hard head

3. Does not defend strikes well

4. Does not like to get hit

Cain did a lot more striking to make up the difference, and it helped. He did get taken down, but he almost got right back up.

They are:

1. Not-so-good chin

2. Not-so-hard head

Cain did a lot more striking to make up the difference, and it helped. He did get taken down, but he almost got right back up.

3 and 4 I'll give you but I don't know why you think Lesnar doesn't have a chin. He panics when he gets hit and that's very bad in a division filled with heavy hitters but Cain looked outstanding. He even took Brock down with that lovely single leg.

Also he remembered to breathe :D

3 and 4 I'll give you but I don't know why you think Lesnar doesn't have a chin. He panics when he gets hit and that's very bad in a division filled with heavy hitters but Cain looked outstanding. He even took Brock down with that lovely single leg.

Also he remembered to breathe :D

I have to disagree, but I accept your judgment. However, Brock needs to have amatuer boxing matches in training where he gets punched a lot, so he gets used to it.

They are:

1. Not-so-good chin

2. Not-so-hard head

I put all of these down to inexperience. Unfortunately, at his age, they're things that Brock may not have time to correct.

You CAN train a chin. At 14, I was knocked out by a single punch in an exhibition karate fight. At age 19, after some serious Muay Thai and boxing training, I survived a gang beating by nine guys with bottles, koshes and a knuckle duster without passing out. You get used to being hit.

Brock isn't built like a guy who crumbles, he just doesn't know how to take it. If he was 25, I'd bet my life that he'd be HW champ again in a year and for the next 10 year. At this stage in his life though...I'm not sure.

All respect to Cain though.

I put all of these down to inexperience. Unfortunately, at his age, they're things that Brock may not have time to correct.

You CAN train a chin. At 14, I was knocked out by a single punch in an exhibition karate fight. At age 19, after some serious Muay Thai and boxing training, I survived a gang beating by nine guys with bottles, koshes and a knuckle duster without passing out. You get used to being hit.

Brock isn't built like a guy who crumbles, he just doesn't know how to take it. If he was 25, I'd bet my life that he'd be HW champ again in a year and for the next 10 year. At this stage in his life though...I'm not sure.

All respect to Cain though.

Since you are experienced in some of this.. do you know any Judo or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu? And if so, can give any insight on why Judo practioners don't do as well BJJ users? I always thought BJJ was developed from Judo, if my info is correct.

Taker being the company man he is prob still holds ill will towards Brock after the way he screwed over the wwe.

Dana said we will see how dedicated Brock is by what he does next. Take the time off he planned or get back and fight asap. I think Lesnar will take the time off and enjoy the big payday he just had.

Taker being the company man he is prob still holds ill will towards Brock after the way he screwed over the wwe.

Dana said we will see how dedicated Brock is by what he does next. Take the time off he planned or get back and fight asap. I think Lesnar will take the time off and enjoy the big payday he just had.

That's just odd. I mean, it shocks me. Lesnar patched things up with Goldberg and Austin, and probably JR I assume, but Undertaker arguing with him? Seriously? That's just... odd, especially for the Undertaker.