The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

I don't think Ken will ever work for the UFC again in any aspect, considering how they parted company last time :(

The Sakuraba situation is not so black and white though. Firstly, there's a very real possibility that Dream wont exist next summer. Secondly, even if they do, they certainly don't have the kind of clout to stop someone like Sakuraba taking a one-off fight in the UFC.

Meh, it's only my stupid pipe dream though. Sakuraba has about as much chance of passing a UFC medical as I do of beating Butterbean in a hotdog eating contest.

Sakuraba? I don't think Ken can now, either. And UFc can find ways to work around it... problem is, it's not worth it. Sakuraba vs. Gracie isn't going to be as good as match as it once could have been. Their bodies just aren't going to be there. Plus their style is sort.. of well, old. I actually rather see Bas Rutten or Frank Shamrock. At least they are healthy. but they are retired, so...

As for UFC Brazil, I'm a bit surprised this diidn't happened sooner.

Sakuraba? I don't think Ken can now, either. And UFc can find ways to work around it... problem is, it's not worth it. Sakuraba vs. Gracie isn't going to be as good as match as it once could have been. Their bodies just aren't going to be there. Plus their style is sort.. of well, old. I actually rather see Bas Rutten or Frank Shamrock. At least they are healthy. but they are retired, so...

As for UFC Brazil, I'm a bit surprised this diidn't happened sooner.

Lol, that's a fair point. I think Ken's happy fighting in fairgrounds and nightclubs outside of AC control these days so he can take his vitamins and say his prayers to his heart's content :-p

There were a few things with Brazil...the economy, the safety factor etc...it seems to be losing it's bad rep and with the 2014 World Cup preparations under way, the various governments are becoming more hospitable to ventures like the UFC coming to town.

I'm with you though, it's weird that one of the spiritual homes of MMA has gone so long without a UFC. Here's to many more!

Lol, that's a fair point. I think Ken's happy fighting in fairgrounds and nightclubs outside of AC control these days so he can take his vitamins and say his prayers to his heart's content :-p

There were a few things with Brazil...the economy, the safety factor etc...it seems to be losing it's bad rep and with the 2014 World Cup preparations under way, the various governments are becoming more hospitable to ventures like the UFC coming to town.

I'm with you though, it's weird that one of the spiritual homes of MMA has gone so long without a UFC. Here's to many more!

My point is, Ken can't cut it anymore. Hell, Pedro Rizzo beat him up, when, a couple of years ago, before he fought Tito, he could have beaten him.

But it's a moot on that.

As for Brazil not having the UFC, it is odd to me, considering how many Brazilian fighters the ufc employs.

My point is, Ken can't cut it anymore. Hell, Pedro Rizzo beat him up, when, a couple of years ago, before he fought Tito, he could have beaten him.

I'm probably gonna catch a little flack for this one but...(and this is coming from a committed member of the Shamrock Brothers Fan Club)...I don't think Ken could have beaten Rizzo on his best day :eek:

Also, anyone who hasn't should read this from MMA Weekly on the Nemesis MMA debacle from the weekend.

http://mmaweekly.com/the-road-to-nowhere-fighters-detail-disastrous-nemesis-fighting-show-in-the-dominican-republic?

A horrible story that only serves to highlight A)The fact that MMA is a dirty business, B) That Athletic Commissions, for all their faults, are essential and C)The naivety/desperation that is forced on fighters when a decent paycheque is on the table.

I'm probably gonna catch a little flack for this one but...(and this is coming from a committed member of the Shamrock Brothers Fan Club)...I don't think Ken could have beaten Rizzo on his best day :eek:

*Shrug* Doesn't matter now. Ken's too old. I truly think he's time is past in MMA, and that MMA is past him. He's a legend, but that's just that, a legend. And I'm a huge fan of Shamrock, but it's time for him to let go.

Also, anyone who hasn't should read this from MMA Weekly on the Nemesis MMA debacle from the weekend.

http://mmaweekly.com/the-road-to-nowhere-fighters-detail-disastrous-nemesis-fighting-show-in-the-dominican-republic?

A horrible story that only serves to highlight A)The fact that MMA is a dirty business, B) That Athletic Commissions, for all their faults, are essential and C)The naivety/desperation that is forced on fighters when a decent paycheque is on the table.

I actually just read this before coming to GDS and have been following it.

It's pretty awful and I hope it doesn't turn into a big black eye. If what Buentello says is true, I almost want to believe the promoter himself that it wasn't his fault otherwise why was he in his hotel room and not bolting somewhere? If you just ripped off 24 fighters (plus all the staff and arena) why would you still be in the hotel everyone was staying at?

Unfortunately since its international it will probably be hard to get real money out of it, especially since I'm assuming these guys didn't sign legal documents for the fight.

I will probably take heat on this but some of those guys should have known better and let their greed get the better of them. An upstart promotion, with a promoter who has a shady reputation according to Winkelijohn, promising close to UFC pay, in a foreign non-regulated country. How could things possibly go wrong? I feel bad for anyone needing medical attention following the fight and now having no extra cash to help with it.

I understand regional shows do not pay close to what guys like Jardine were getting with the UFC but they should know better to take less money and fight for a legitimate promotion. They are just lucky no one got seriously injured since there was no medical staff.

OH MY GOSH ANTHONY PETTIS! ARE YOU KIDDING!? THAT KICK OFF THE FENCE MADE MY JAW DROP!!!

Seriously though what an amazing fight and I can't believe that kick actually landed, its one thing to try it but to actually hit it clean. Man both guys are tough as nails and should have been finished numerous times. Def. looking forward to some future UFC match ups.

I am dissapointed Henderson lost since I've loved watching him fight but Pettis deserved it.

I started off cheering on Ben Henderson, but he was bested so much that by Round 5 I was begging Pettis to finish him. That kick ruled. A highlight for the ages.

Good show overall, too. Didn't enjoy it as much as the last one; the Team Alpha Male domination, but nothing bad on the card.

Here's a thought, should Henderson face the Edgar/Maynard loser? Both fighters would be coming off a loss you get the guaranteed momentum boost to one of them. Or would you rather just see Henderson face Stevenson or some other UFC lightweight coming off a loss?

By the way I def. see either causing trouble in the UFC. I liked Henderson for his energy and Pettis matched it. It will be interesting if Maynard wins since he is a much slower and methodical fighter going against Pettis who also demonstrated a great ground game.

Here's a thought, should Henderson face the Edgar/Maynard loser? Both fighters would be coming off a loss you get the guaranteed momentum boost to one of them. Or would you rather just see Henderson face Stevenson or some other UFC lightweight coming off a loss?

By the way I def. see either causing trouble in the UFC. I liked Henderson for his energy and Pettis matched it. It will be interesting if Maynard wins since he is a much slower and methodical fighter going against Pettis who also demonstrated a great ground game.

I would love to see Edgar vs. Pettis or Edgar vs. Henderson. Sadly enough, I see Edgar losing to Maynard, so we'll see Pettis/Maynard and hopefully Edgar/Henderson. I have serious concerns about Pettis's grappling skills. He either needs to have the best takedown defense ever, the best bottom game ever, and/or elusiveness on Lyoto Machida levels.

Had one of the best MMA discussions recently with a group of people and thought I would test the waters here one topic at a time. Keep in mind I don't agree/disagree on the issues the same so don't attack me :p these just came up with a group of 10 people that actually know something (unlike the 45 year old fat Tapout guy at the bar for the UFC fight saying Chuck is still the champion)

First is changing the amount of rounds in MMA to either two or four (or of course disagree completely and keep it at 3), the goal behind it is to promote finishes/ more action and to promote more competitive later rounds.

The argument for having two round fights is fighters could go more all out not having to conserve energy for the 3rd round giving not necessarily more finishes but more exciting fights especially with the larger weight classes. It is also to try to prevent boring third rounds when a fighter knows he is up 2-0 and plays it safe leading to the boos and such. Since even if a fighter clearly won the first round, he could lose the second and go to a sudden death third round, ala TUF. Issue of course is not getting finishes in those first two rounds since they're shorter, or also not being satisfied with enough action in those first two rounds.

The argument for the fourth round is too see more competitive action in general (such as 5 rounders for title fights) and also looks to help the "boring 3rd round" since once again even if a fighter is up 2-0, his opponent can come back and give us that bonus 5th round. This could also lead to more finishes giving fighters that extra round but of course can lead to less action due to gassing and if a fighter wins the first 3 rounds we would be back to a boring round issue in the fourth.

In favor of either change or keep it the same at 3?

So we've got two whole Japanese NYE/NYEE events planned.

Sengoku's Soul of Fight looks like more fun to me - Hatsu Hioki vs. Marlon Sandro for the right to claim they are the best Bantamweight outside of the UFC.

And this just in - Alistair Overeem is set to fight Todd Duffee on K-1 Dynamite!!

Which one are people more interested in?

Full fight cards: Dynamite!! - the Overeem-Duffee fight is yet to be confirmed by SEG.

Soul of Fight - Lots of good stuff besides the main - PLUS RYO CHONAN!!!!

Mostly looking forward to Crusher - Thomson. Don't need to tell you guys who I'm rooting for. Shooto supremacy!

Uno - Miyata will probably be pretty good as well though it'll suck to see either guy lose. Pulling for Miyata still, he's the prime example of a mishandled prospect and it's great to see he's got his career back on track.

Fernandes - Takaya'll be fun too. It was great the last time.

Not really feeling this Dynamite!! card. Overeem's gonna smash Duffee if that fight happens, Aoki - Nagashima will be determined by the first round and I have literally no interest in seeing Sakuraba fight anymore. I guess seeing Wicky under K-1 rules will be kinda wacky.

I'm honestly more looking forward to SOUL OF FIGHT. Still pulling for the Shooto guy over Sandro but he'll need to step his game up. I'm really looking forward to this fight.

Enomoto has really impressed me so far in this GP and I think he'll beat Nakamura easy but it'll still be a good showing. Misaki I'll always watch. Blanco - Park should be fireworks since they're both crazy violent fighters. Also Buakaw is fighting Nakajima which I'll hopefully catch.

I'm pumped for soul of fight, sengoku is doing a nice job of finding prospects and Maxi is possibly my favorite guy to watch fight. Wish it was live on hdnet though.

Dynamite looks good to me; not a lot of relecant fights but lots of fun ones. The title fights are interesting, and I'm interested in seeing overeem against someone with at least a puncher's chance.

I'm intruiged by Miyata-Uno, although I think Caol is going to get wrestlehumped to a one sided decision loss. If miyata can keep progressing from his base, and either develop some standup or submission game I think he's going to be the next big thing in Japan. He has the wrestling to ground out nearly all of the featherweights in Japan already, in my opinion.

I don't think Ken will ever work for the UFC again in any aspect, considering how they parted company last time :(

The Sakuraba situation is not so black and white though. Firstly, there's a very real possibility that Dream wont exist next summer. Secondly, even if they do, they certainly don't have the kind of clout to stop someone like Sakuraba taking a one-off fight in the UFC.

Meh, it's only my stupid pipe dream though. Sakuraba has about as much chance of passing a UFC medical as I do of beating Butterbean in a hotdog eating contest.

I would really enjoy royce-sakuraba, I would think that would be a "senior circuit" fight that would draw a ton of interest, especially in brazil. I saw somewhere that wallid ismael coming out of retirement to fight gracie could happen.

So apparently Brock wants out. Hmm. Typical really, but a real disappointment as someone who got into this thing initially out of intrigue to see how he got on. Still, guess I can thank him that my interest now stems beyond that, and it's probably better to step back than half ass it. But man, still disappointing.

Although, Mir is no longer facing Schaub for unexplained reasons, which would point towards the TUF spot. Weird.