The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Catchweight? Isn't Trigg a welterweight as well?

He's flitted between 170 and 185, but he's in a state of semi-retirement at the moment. Don't quote me on it, but I believe the thinking was that with only 5 weeks to organise and complete a camp, relocate to England, weigh-in and fight, getting down to 170 would be more trouble than it's worth. I've never met Trigg, but Paul gets HUGE between fights, and does a very strict, scientific diet/weight cut. He's off to Mike's Gym in Holland this Sunday, so it could be that he doesn't have the time to do it properly.

EDIT: What exactly is your job then? :p

Ahh, if I told you I'd have to kill you...lol. Writer, journalist, interviewer, radio co-host...general combat sports person with my fingers in as many pies as possible :-p

EDIT 2: Funnily enough all of a sudden the BAMMA website has a banner advertising Daley's site.

Heh, could be a coincidence? :p Lol, hopefully that'll mean an announcement coming soon.

He's flitted between 170 and 185, but he's in a state of semi-retirement at the moment. Don't quote me on it, but I believe the thinking was that with only 5 weeks to organise and complete a camp, relocate to England, weigh-in and fight, getting down to 170 would be more trouble than it's worth. I've never met Trigg, but Paul gets HUGE between fights, and does a very strict, scientific diet/weight cut. He's off to Mike's Gym in Holland this Sunday, so it could be that he doesn't have the time to do it properly.

Ahh, if I told you I'd have to kill you...lol. Writer, journalist, interviewer, radio co-host...general combat sports person with my fingers in as many pies as possible :-p

Heh, could be a coincidence? :p Lol, hopefully that'll mean an announcement coming soon.

It may be more about daley doing it on short notice, given that he's missed weight on 3 different major shows.

So much for Bamma announcing the card, huh. >_>

BAMMA said last night that tickets go on sale at 11am, with the card announced at 10am, which was 45 mins and 2 cups of coffee ago :-p

Plus, Tom 'Kong' Watson released this statement at about 5am this morning (UK time)...

http://www.tomkongwatson.com/?p=173&cpage=1

...basically stating that BAMMA have not paid him in full for the Reid fight in September, and are essentially blackmailing him into signing a three-fight deal with them. Talk about poor timing :-p

In good news though, Badr Hari will be back in May, fighting in France. In not so good news though, the It's Showtime!/K-1 Amsterdam ArenA show in May has been cancelled due to K-1's financial difficulties :(

It's a swings and roundabouts week!

Daley's opponent has been announced...DEEP Welterweight Champion Yuya Shirai (20-8).

It's a baaaad match-up. Shirai has a terrible chin, and is a small 170lb'er, where as Daley is huge at the weight and probably the hardest striker in the division. It's gonna be a short night.

I know the names of a couple of other guys on the card...no other big names but as BAMMA haven't released the card yet I'm keeping shtum :p

Oh, and a cageside seat can be yours for only £400!!!!

Daley's opponent has been announced...DEEP Welterweight Champion Yuya Shirai (20-8).

It's a baaaad match-up. Shirai has a terrible chin, and is a small 170lb'er, where as Daley is huge at the weight and probably the hardest striker in the division. It's gonna be a short night.

I know the names of a couple of other guys on the card...no other big names but as BAMMA haven't released the card yet I'm keeping shtum :p

Really just £400???

I would say where they can put their front row tickets but I will refrain from doing so as I would probably get a warning.

I wouldn't pay that much to watch a UFC from the front row!

p.s. brashley, give me a mma writing job...:)

They have tickets going from 25 quid I saw on ticketmaster, if they give me a few more good match-ups I'll definitely go for that.

They have tickets going from 25 quid I saw on ticketmaster, if they give me a few more good match-ups I'll definitely go for that.

It might be different since they actually hold UFC events in England but going to my first live MMA event here in Sweden was fantastic and definitely worth the ~£50 I spent on it.

Watching Hansen win didn't exactly hurt either. :)

Just watched Lesnar/Velasquez (and the rest of the card). A few notes, and obvious spoilers.

1. The co-main, with the vet (somewhat) versus that new guy: Aside from the fact the new guy gassed himself, very impressive debut in the UFC. Solid skills.

2. DARS CHOKE DARS CHOKE DARS CHOKE shut up Rogan

3. Gonzaga...sucked. What the hell?

4. Though I hate Diego Sanchez, he's a solid fighter and pretty entertaining. Good job.

5. I hate Ortiz; glad Hammill beat him.

6. Main Event:

I knew Lesnar lost this fight, but I wanted to see if it was as pathetic/lame/whatever as people said.

He didn't look good losing, I'll say that. Cain, meanwhile, looked great. It was an easy 10-8 round, possibly going into 10-7 territory (had it not been stopped). What bugs me is that it's clear Lesnar got rocked at some point (hence the across-the-ring dance he did), that or he was horribly gassed. I'm pretty sure it's not the latter (given that he had just fought Carwin, and that's what led to Carwin's loss).

So my issue is that I never clearly saw Lesnar get rocked. I think the replay showed a solid (massive) hook, but I don't know when that was.

All-in-all though, Lesnar got cut. BAD. That's...easily top ten, maybe top 5 of the biggest cuts I've seen in UFC. Nice. Dude was in pain hardcore.

7. Can't remember the fight (might have been co-main), but dude gets kneed straight in the face (and goes down, but not unconcious). My dad says it didn't hit his face. I said it did.

Replay? IN THE FACE!

Overall:

Not a good show. Aside from the main, nothing got too crazy (well, Sanchez was pretty good). Lesnar/Carwin was by far the superior show. And I think Lesnar had a fine first reign. He beat...was it three guys while/to become champion? That's fine. So long as he remains a threat (and continues to get better) then this was great for him. If he fades into obscurity, I'll be farily angry.

1. The co-main, with the vet (somewhat) versus that new guy: Aside from the fact the new guy gassed himself, very impressive debut in the UFC. Solid skills.

I'm not sure if we were watching different fights or not, but Shields look absolutely awful against Kampman. I'm not saying that Kampman got robber, or even that it was the wrong result, but you can easily make a case for Shields losing that fight.

If Dana didn't have a stick up his ass about giving Fitch a title shot, there's no way Shields would be fighting GSP after a performance like that.

He didn't look good losing, I'll say that. Cain, meanwhile, looked great. It was an easy 10-8 round, possibly going into 10-7 territory (had it not been stopped).

It wouldn't have been a 10-7 round - infact, by the curent methods of teaching, 10-7's shouldn't even be possible unless a point is taken away. Besides, Brock did somewhat fight back and score a takedown.

Just seen Forrest as a 6/4 outsider against Franklin, am I missing something here?

I guess it's because of all the injuries/inconsistency that seems to plague Forrest of late. He's not fought in over a year, and only twice in the last two years, both times looking pretty awful.

Franklin is hardly on a tear, but fought twice the fights, looked better and is not fighting due to choice more than anything else.

It's also a situation where you have a very scrappy fighter in Forrest against a more measured, technical striker in Franklin. Who knows what their timing etc is going to be like due to inactivity, but you'd think that Rich would have a pretty good chance of picking Forrest off with counters all night. That's my take, anyway.

Just seen Forrest as a 6/4 outsider against Franklin, am I missing something here?

They're both cardio machines, they've both got chin issues and they're both pretty poor wrestlers. Forrest is a better top position grappler but Franklin's a much sharper striker and above all he's never fought stupid in his entire career. I don't think those odds are too off.

I just caught Fight For the Troops and for a free show it was really good. Dunham just got blasted out of the water by Guillard, he got careless with his hands against a guy who hits HARD HARD HARD and FAST FAST FAST. Guillard's a fast starter, Dunham's a slow one and he paid the price.

Mitrione rules. He's been fighting, what, one and a half years and for MMA he's a pretty smooth striker who punches straight and kicks legs. I don't think he'd ever trouble the elite but he could definitely be a solid mid level guy.

Hominick is also pretty great. There's not a lot of punches you can throw at a guy running away along the fence so I'll forgive him for that baseball pitch punch. :) The stoppage was completely justified in my opinion, Roop was out on his feet three times in that fight and by the end he wasn't covering up or moving around or anything. Can't wait to see the fight with Aldo.

I heard Barry was sick but man he didn't look too good. He really needs to open up at range - especially when he's hurt the guy with leg kicks - and try to catch them coming in.

Cole Miller getting beat up is always a cause for celebration.

Yves Edwards rules and that was a great fight. I'm really glad to see him back in the UFC, I was really glad to see he could actually turn the fight around when he started losing and I would be really glad if he cracked off another flying head kick KO.

Brownie lost which is a bummer but Rani Yahya's a very solid guy.

And then some other fights happened.

Watched Fight For The Troops and it wasn't bad at all.

Surprised that Guillard blew Dunham out of the water like he did. I assumed that Dunham would weather the early storm and catch Guillard with a submission late on.

Mitrione was precise and it was nice to see him finish things off against Hague. No doubt Mitrione is improving but as soon as he comes up against a good wrestler he is in trouble. Kimbo took him down and although he has improved since then I don't see him getting past the guys at the top of the division.

Barry looked bad. Real bad. Very rarely do I yell at my tv screen for a fighter to do something but was screaming for Barry to kick the leg. Beltran had no resistance against them and it was frustrating to watch. Yes, he hit some good kicks but not at a rate which I felt he could have ended the fight had he employed.

Hominick did a fine job with Roop. When I saw Roop start I thought that maybe I had underestimated him as he looked really focused but with the first punch that Hominick landed I came crashing back to reality and realised that Hominick was going to put on a whooping.

I was a bit upset that I didn't get to see another McKenz-otine but Yves Edwards is a tough guy and it was nice to see him pull out the win.

London, you have to understand, Barry wasn't so much scared of Beltran, as much as he was scared of hurting himself.

I didn't say he was scared of Beltran, nor did I suggest it. I am tempted to say he lacks that killer instinct though. He tasted leather from Beltran on more than one occassion and didn't look to be stunned by them but whenever they stood in striking range of one another Barry just seemed willing to cover up and wait until the onslaught stopped rather than throwing anything significant of his own. I don't doubt that had he been more frequent with those leg kicks, he would have finished Beltran off.

I think Forrest should take it, but the problem? He's fought stupid... way too many times. He's also a lot less consistent than Franklin is. I think even Forrest knows this.... he's got to fight smart if he wants to win this fight.

Yeah. It's interesting to hear the reasoning, but I figured this'd be a fight with them both as a 10/11 shot or something like that rather than such a big difference. I'm thinking Forrest takes it personally, should be a good fight either way.

Went to sleep last night after the first two fights, missed the three first round KOs lol, gonna have to catch them on the replay.

I don't think people have easily forgotten Griffin getting so badly punked by Silva. He gets floored by a guy walking away, and it wasn't even that hard a punch, he basically waves the fight off himself and then cries as he sprints to the back as fast he can. I would not underestimate how that made people feel about Forrest, both as a fighter (hence the long odds against Franklin) and as a person.

Yeah. It's interesting to hear the reasoning, but I figured this'd be a fight with them both as a 10/11 shot or something like that rather than such a big difference. I'm thinking Forrest takes it personally, should be a good fight either way.

Went to sleep last night after the first two fights, missed the three first round KOs lol, gonna have to catch them on the replay.

Actually, if you read my statement, I think Forrest should and will take it, but no one should be surprised if he messes up. There are fights where should have the wiped the floor, but his ass gets kicked.

I don't think people have easily forgotten Griffin getting so badly punked by Silva. He gets floored by a guy walking away, and it wasn't even that hard a punch, he basically waves the fight off himself and then cries as he sprints to the back as fast he can. I would not underestimate how that made people feel about Forrest, both as a fighter (hence the long odds against Franklin) and as a person.

One of his issues is he's wildly inconsistent and lacks proper game-planning. It's average, below-average, or above-average in just about everything does, which means, if he doesn't fight smart, he loses.

London, you have to understand, Barry wasn't so much scared of Beltran, as much as he was scared of hurting himself.

Pat Barry is an awful MMA fighter, and anyone that buys into Joe Rogan's "He's a K-1 level striker" hype has never seen Pat Barry in a K-1 fight. Barry never beat ANYONE in K-1. He's great at what he does, but he really, really should have been 1st rounding a King of the Cage special like Joey Beltran.