The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Fitch rules and he's the ultimate workmanlike fighter. He wins through endless cardio, huge workrate, the amazingly rare ability to never deviate from his gameplan, heart and being really good at taking and holding top position. He'd get destroyed by GSP if they ever fought again and Koscheck is a pretty bad match up for him but everyone else in the division is toast because they just can't keep up with Fitch for more than maybe one round and he's impossible to finish.

Here are some picks for 128!

Shogun over Jones by (T)KO. Have no idea what's going to happen in this fight but I'm sure of two things 1) Shogun's going to get taken down a lot 2) Shogun's going to get back up a lot. This fight is plagued by a lot of known unknowns but gun to my head I'll put my money on Shogun's proven chin and massive power.

Faber over Wineland by submission. Wouldn't be super surprised if Wineland managed to land something but it'll end up on the ground at some point and Faber will get a choke.

Marquardt over Miller by KO. Miller's a good grappler and a decent wrestler but his stand up is baaaad. Marquardt might get taken down but I imagine he'll get back up and deliver a big right hand.

Schaub over Cro Cop by (T)KO. Cro Cop's retirement tour should be rematching Hunt, JLB and Sapp all under MMA rules. Not fighting a young, athletic guy who's going to spank him.

Miller over Shalorus by decision. The more talented Miller who's learned how to strike is going to have a field day with Shalorus' wild strikes and if the fight ends up on the ground he'll have the advantage. Might get robbed by the judges if Shalorus throws enough punches that miss but look good.

Almeida over Pyle, Pellegrino over Tibau, Barboza over Njokuani, Cane over Marshall and both Eric Koch and Urijah Faber's wacky midget buddy win their fights.

lol that was awesome. Jackson looking serious in the picture.

This show seems to be an hour early, I thought it was 129 when that began, or is that gonna be even earlier? Watching the facebook stream now, man Benavidez is so small, with the scale of the cage as well, it looks a bit weird.

lol that was awesome. Jackson looking serious in the picture.

This show seems to be an hour early, I thought it was 129 when that began, or is that gonna be even earlier? Watching the facebook stream now, man Benavidez is so small, with the scale of the cage as well, it looks a bit weird.

They haven't changed the start times yet, it's just that the clocks went forward in America recently and they don't do so in the UK until the end of the month.

They haven't changed the start times yet, it's just that the clocks went forward in America recently and they don't do so in the UK until the end of the month.

Haha hadn't considered that. Means I get another hour of sleep before being up for football at 9am, so I shan't complain :o

Man oh man. Not sure how I feel about getting Rashad in at the end, a rather sour note on which to end, but it's a huge match nonetheless. That was incredible.

Talk of Silva vs. Jones inevitable. More appealling than GSP/Silva but also a lot less favourable to Anderson, and even if he won I'm not sure what he'd do. Rashad/Jones is big enough for me right now.

Good lord Jon Jones straight up wrecked Shogun tonight. Different class.

Straight punches and just an insanely solid base. Never seen anyone Shogun couldn't scramble out under from but Bones just held him down and pummeled him. Plus Jones' striking looked much better than it did against Bader.

Never gonna be anyone favored against Jones until Mr. Wonderful really gets his hype train rolling.

e: replace straight punches with rangy strikes. Maybe he watched some tapes of Schilt or something because I never saw him throw a stupid superman elbow.

e2: furthermore, that liver punch -> knee finishing combination was so damn cool.

I agree. After what Jones did to Bader, a much stronger wrestler (I would say, on paper, more decorated as well), I doubt Rashad can do much to Jones in terms of wrestling.

Would that be his game plan? Maybe he knows a few things having trained with him. But I could see him trying to stand and test his chin, Jones would be the one dictating it wrestling-wise.

They're saying at the end of the broadcast that Rashad may drop down (or even move up I guess). But the teammate vs. teammate is so easy to sell.

Would that be his game plan? Maybe he knows a few things having trained with him. But I could see him trying to stand and test his chin, Jones would be the one dictating it wrestling-wise.

Rashad isn't a good technical striker. He's fast and hits with power but leaves lots of openings and doesn't have the footwork to safely cover enough ground that he isn't stopped on the way in. If he does manage to get inside he'll get hurled to the floor and elbowed. If he shoots from way outside Jones will do what he did to Bader and staple him to the floor with his sprawl. I just can't see how he's supposed to win.

Jones threw decent jabs and straights against Shogun. That's terrifying.

They're saying at the end of the broadcast that Rashad may drop down (or even move up I guess). But the teammate vs. teammate is so easy to sell.

Drop down? Rashad has cardio problems. That indicates one or more of the these issues:

He doesn't have or do enough cardio

He doesn't handle weight-cutting too well.

I don't think it's the second and not the first. He seemed to have gassed out in the Rampage fight (and so did Rampage, but that's another story). He's now coming off another long lay off like Shogun. Where's he's cardio at? If you are gassed, you are pretty much vulnerable to anything.

And Rashad's striking is solid, but nowhere near threatening enough to Jones now. Jones is striking is at lesat as good as, probably better than, Rashad's striking now. Jones will have a reach serious reach advantage and possibly better leg kicks.

Rashad isn't a good technical striker. He's fast and hits with power but leaves lots of openings and doesn't have the footwork to safely cover enough ground that he isn't stopped on the way in.

^ This right here. The fact that he even calls himself 'Sugar' is an insult to the Ray Leonard's and Ray Robinson's of the world.

I didn't think it was that great a show until Jon Jones destroyed Shogun. I don't think Rashad will pose too many problems; like has been said, Rashad has great power punches but he leaves himself open to shots. I think Rashad will heel it up a little when they start promoting the fight not just because Jones is super popular, but because what Rashad has already said makes him come off like a baby.

Roll on 129.

I might be alone in this, but I cannot wait to see someone beat Jones. It's not that I dislike him as a fighter, but the amount of buttkissing from the announcers made me want to see him get his skull fractured just to shut them up. Seriously don't know what can be done about his speed and reach advantage though, maybe if someone took out one of his legs early but that is easier said than done.

Not sure what you guys are whining about, I thought the undercard was pretty decent throughout and had a fair bit more viciousness than usual.

I might be alone in this, but I cannot wait to see someone beat Jones. It's not that I dislike him as a fighter, but the amount of buttkissing from the announcers made me want to see him get his skull fractured just to shut them up. Seriously don't know what can be done about his speed and reach advantage though, maybe if someone took out one of his legs early but that is easier said than done.

Come on, dude. Not cool. :(

Not sure what you guys are whining about, I thought the undercard was pretty decent throughout and had a fair bit more viciousness than usual.

Who's complaining? :confused:

Who's complaining? :confused:

The guys in the two posts directly above him :-p

I've been hearing a lot of it to be honest...personally I think it's more to do with the card looking *so* good on paper that people were disappointed that it wasn't the BEST UFC EVAR!!!1! I thought it was a really solid event...Jim Miller looked great, the Barboza/Njokuani fight (which I'd been telling anyone who would listen would be fight of the night all week) was sick, Faber-Wineland was good...and we got a gutsy performance and a highlight-reel finish out of the CroCop fight.

Each to their own I guess.

The guys in the two posts directly above him :-p

I've been hearing a lot of it to be honest...personally I think it's more to do with the card looking *so* good on paper that people were disappointed that it wasn't the BEST UFC EVAR!!!1! I thought it was a really solid event...Jim Miller looked great, the Barboza/Njokuani fight (which I'd been telling anyone who would listen would be fight of the night all week) was sick, Faber-Wineland was good...and we got a gutsy performance and a highlight-reel finish out of the CroCop fight.

Each to their own I guess.

I love every Faber fight and this one was no exception, but I get the feeling we were in the minority. Wineland fought a very safe fight instead of throwing bombs like most expected. Barboza / Njokuani was awesome. I was impressed with both guys but something about the way Barboza fought concerned me a little. He looked like the clearly better guy but he wouldn't really take the fight to Njokuani. Maybe it's because Njokuani had the faster hands and he didn't want to open up with punches for fear of a counter, but it seemed like we saw alot of Barboza winging single shot leg kicks instead of mixing it up. Seemed like he held back somewhat, although it could just be me not appreciating a good gameplan.