The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Any way to get these prelims in the UK? Saw the twitter say UFC.TV but all that's saying for me is that the stream has finished.

edit; unless you have to pay, and I haven't. And if you do, then **** that, stupid ESPN.

edit 2; Sotiropoulous being KO'd by Dos Anjos, lollll

I'm curious as to where all these wins came from for guillard. every time he fights they show his record as 40some wins-8 losses etc., but on all the websites I look he only has 28 wins.

whats up with that?

The UFC pad records with all the ammy, semi-pro and exhibition fights they can find with certain guys. There's no pattern to it.

I see.

In other news, surprised Tito won.

I did too. Tito may not have heavy hands, but he doesn't have light ones either. If he connects, it's still going to hurt. More importantly, though... I think Wanderlei might be done. I won't be telling him that in his face, but his getting KOed too many times, and too easily. :( I think it that fight against Crocop that messed him up. He has never been the same since that fight.

I had Faber winning the first three rounds for sure and the final two were close but I gave Faber round four and Cruz probably edged round five. No way did Cruz win all five rounds, no way at all, so that 50-45 score is completely screwy. As soon as Rogan mentioned his hope for competent judges, I just knew we'd get some bad numbers, and we did.

Tito finishing Bader was a surprise that I don't think a lot of people saw coming. I know Tito is a veteran and I know he's still got some skills, but I really have a hard time taking Bader seriously now. It's hard to explain but once Tito submitted him, it was like I had this sudden realization that Bader was a joke and nowhere near the top level. I think Bader needs to be kept off TV for a while before bringing him back.

Leben/Silva was the wild slugfest we expected and it didn't even get to the 30-second mark. A few more big wins and Leben could be in the title mix.

A good show so thumbs up there.

The Hayes fight was the typical Heavyweight title fight; slow, ponderous, unexciting and little action. The highlights were Haye seemingly falling down for no reason on a regular basis, like there were invisible banana skins in the ring. Naturally, after the fight, Haye had his excuses which I hope the majority of fans can see through because Haye thinks far too highly of himself and this fight proved he just isn't good enough to beat real top-class fighter.

First of all - CONDIT. Yes yes yes. Has to get a title shot now IMO.

Loved Tito winning as well.

Found the main event frustrating. The only way I can see myself liking Cruz is if he just embraces the boos from the fans and becomes some kind of little man mega-heel. As it is he epitomises what I find frustrating with the lighter weight classes, not looking to finish and barely even hurting his opponents. Faber should have had a couple of rounds and I wouldn't mind a rematch.

I had Faber winning the first three rounds for sure and the final two were close but I gave Faber round four and Cruz probably edged round five. No way did Cruz win all five rounds, no way at all, so that 50-45 score is completely screwy. As soon as Rogan mentioned his hope for competent judges, I just knew we'd get some bad numbers, and we did.

Tito finishing Bader was a surprise that I don't think a lot of people saw coming. I know Tito is a veteran and I know he's still got some skills, but I really have a hard time taking Bader seriously now. It's hard to explain but once Tito submitted him, it was like I had this sudden realization that Bader was a joke and nowhere near the top level. I think Bader needs to be kept off TV for a while before bringing him back.

Leben/Silva was the wild slugfest we expected and it didn't even get to the 30-second mark. A few more big wins and Leben could be in the title mix.

A good show so thumbs up there.

The Hayes fight was the typical Heavyweight title fight; slow, ponderous, unexciting and little action. The highlights were Haye seemingly falling down for no reason on a regular basis, like there were invisible banana skins in the ring. Naturally, after the fight, Haye had his excuses which I hope the majority of fans can see through because Haye thinks far too highly of himself and this fight proved he just isn't good enough to beat real top-class fighter.

On Bader: It's because he's very slow for a 205er. And lack of cardio, too. He might a guy that actually will do better at heavyweight. He has pictures of where he's walking at a HUGE size, and that's next to Cain Velasquez. On that note, I wonder how Tito has so easily cut weight like that for so many years. The guy is around 235 lbs walking at least.

On that note, I wonder how Tito has so easily cut weight like that for so many years. The guy is around 235 lbs walking at least.

Experience and discipline. 30 pounds isn't that much for someone who is used to putting in the world to drop it. A friend of mine fights at 135 and walks around between 165 and 170. He always makes weight and pretty easily.

Melvin Guillard was freaking impressive in his fight, which makes me wonder, what is next for him? Surely a rematch against Dennis Siver could be good, seeing as the two are both on long winning streaks. Clay Guida would be a good match up, but they are both teammates. Either way, he should be making his way to a number one contender spot.

Want to see Guillard vs. Miller if he beats Henderson personally, and vs. Guida if Miller loses that fight.

They are at the same camp, he probably won't fight.

I think this was the card of the year tbh. No fight on the main card was boring, and the main event was excellent.

Experience and discipline. 30 pounds isn't that much for someone who is used to putting in the world to drop it. A friend of mine fights at 135 and walks around between 165 and 170. He always makes weight and pretty easily.

Except that, even WITH discipline and experieince, some people drop weight and REGAIN it better than others. Tito looked freaking huge next to Bader, but his walking weight doesn't look as much as Bader's. Tito doesn't blow up as much as Bader does.

That's exactly it - the guy has been doing it the right way since he was a kid, and his early success has allowed him to invest in the best physical care money can buy while he's been doing it. He's always done the Big Bear thing and had his diet taken care of - I don't think anyone has ever questioned his fitness.

I think with Tito it's partly genetic as well. One of the reasons he was so successful back in the day was that he was piling 20+lbs back on in 24 hours, which was unheard of then (and is still massively impressive now) - not just in and of itself, but for the fact that he can still be effective after putting his body through that amount of strain.

Tito is HUGE...the original plan when he was supposed to fight Chuck at UFC 43 was that he'd move up to heavyweight with a win, as there simply wasn't anyone left for him to beat at 205 (this was before Randy dropped down to fill in for him). Crazy huh?

BH, what do you think Ryan Bader should do next? I think him against Matt Hamill makes some sense right now. both hit pretty hard, but they are both a bit slow.

And their respective results against Tito do not reflect how I'd expect that fight to go. That fight makes perfect sense IMO.

BH, what do you think Ryan Bader should do next? I think him against Matt Hamill makes some sense right now. both hit pretty hard, but they are both a bit slow.

Sounds good to me. Either that or someone like Bonnar, Pokrajac, Brilz, Gustafson or Matyushenko.

Hamill makes the most sense though.

Except that, even WITH discipline and experieince, some people drop weight and REGAIN it better than others. Tito looked freaking huge next to Bader, but his walking weight doesn't look as much as Bader's. Tito doesn't blow up as much as Bader does.

Well yeah, a person's ability to gain and lose weight is going to play some role as well. That is going to vary from person to person. But it still takes discipline to get it done properly, no matter how easy or hard it is for you.

The fact that Bader blows up between fights moreso than Ortiz is down to discipline. Its about maintaining a proper diet (expensive and not always fun) and being active if not training at a given point.

On another subject of 'who's next', who could be next for Tito Ortiz? Some are saying winner of Franklin/Lil' Nog and some are saying another match-up against Forrest Griffin. The inner-fanboy in me wants me to see him take on Stephan Bonnar...Just for kicks. I don't know why, there's no logic behind this want, I just envisage it being an awesome fight.

On another subject of 'who's next', who could be next for Tito Ortiz? Some are saying winner of Franklin/Lil' Nog and some are saying another match-up against Forrest Griffin. The inner-fanboy in me wants me to see him take on Stephan Bonnar...Just for kicks. I don't know why, there's no logic behind this want, I just envisage it being an awesome fight.

I've wanted to see Tito vs Nogueira for about 6 years, so I've got my fingers crossed for that one. The winner of that fight definitely makes sense.

Tito apparently wants Forrest though, whether he wins or loses his rematch with Shogun. Here's an interesting thought though - if Shogun beats Forrest and the UFC offers him that fight...would he take it. Seeing Tito and Shogun throw down would be different and pretty cool, and it's not like fans are clamouring for a Griffin/Ortiz trilogy fight.

Well yeah, a person's ability to gain and lose weight is going to play some role as well. That is going to vary from person to person. But it still takes discipline to get it done properly, no matter how easy or hard it is for you.

The fact that Bader blows up between fights moreso than Ortiz is down to discipline. Its about maintaining a proper diet (expensive and not always fun) and being active if not training at a given point.

Here's the thing though; I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying, I'm just saying it's not really applicable to Bader. I don't think he lacks "discipline". I just dont' think he handle a cut down to 205 all that well. Look at Anthony "Rumble" Johnson. He's extremely determined to make 170. But look at his face after Rumble cuts to 170. The dude just doesn't belong ther.

And their respective results against Tito do not reflect how I'd expect that fight to go. That fight makes perfect sense IMO.

Bader has better boxing and a bit faster, but Hamill has more power and has a better chin. I don't expect a wrestling match, considering how strong both of them are.

I've wanted to see Tito vs Nogueira for about 6 years, so I've got my fingers crossed for that one. The winner of that fight definitely makes sense.

Tito apparently wants Forrest though, whether he wins or loses his rematch with Shogun. Here's an interesting thought though - if Shogun beats Forrest and the UFC offers him that fight...would he take it. Seeing Tito and Shogun throw down would be different and pretty cool, and it's not like fans are clamouring for a Griffin/Ortiz trilogy fight.

I think it's because Ttio thinks he can beat Forrest. If Shogun and Lil' Nog come in healthy, my bet is on them, not Tito. But if it's against Forrest, then that's harder to say. I can see Tito beating Forrest. What about Rich Franklin against Tito?