The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

http://i51.tinypic.com/10xrqjb.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/iwhk7l.png

Brings my fighter response total to 3. I got a series of messages from Chael Sonnen and a response from K-Flo :)

You sure it was the real Chael? Because you don't show up in his feed and he doesn't usually tweet much....if it was from @thechaelsonnen then it's not him :-p His real one is @Sonnench

You sure it was the real Chael? Because you don't show up in his feed and he doesn't usually tweet much....if it was from @thechaelsonnen then it's not him :-p His real one is @Sonnench

He sent messages to me:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/6746/chaelsonnenmarkoutmomen.png

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6396/sonnenhasmyback.png

Cheesy I know, but it's like Rocky Balboa said - "It ain't about how hard ya hit...it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward". Both these guys can get hit pretty hard and keep moving forward...should make for a war.

Dude I love that you quoted Rocky 6 lol... awesome flic.

I'm kinda rooting for Tito. I know he'll get demolished in my head but my heart wants to see Tito get a title shot after he was being discussed as being not even UFC worthy on the webz.

Overeem reportedly released from SF with one fight left on his contract. Does this mean Zuffa is done with him or just SF? Hmmmm, interesting, interesting.

So many different places your thoughts could go with this one. One of mine I had is that with only one fight left Overeem did not wanted to resign and wanted to go to the UFC (or somewhere else). However they put him the Grand Prix with only two fights left on his contract when if he were to win he would fight 3 times. Hmmm, time to renegotiate and maybe that's where things fell through? Also though if the kickboxing fight was a problem that would be a Zuffa overall problem since they probably wouldn't let him kickbox/boxing matches when he was signed to the UFC. Also interesting that this news comes out on the eve of a SF event which was probably planned and they can now address at the press conferences

It's the way of UFC saying "You are with us or not." Does anyone remember when I said they didn't find Overeem THAT marketable? I can't say I'm surprised if Overeem stepped his foot down, and the UFC didn't blink at all. However, that interpretation means he is really "released" from Strikeforce, and NOT directly negotiating with the UFC themselves. But if the latter was the case, I think they would have done in new contract with the UFC at the same time, so...

I don't see him joining the UFC right away, seems like that would be really bad PR. Let someone go from basically you're same company because you don't agree with him in some regard (whatever the final issue was) only to re-sign him? It would make SF look really bad and continue the UFC image of they can do whatever the F they want. If they wanted him in the UFC wouldn't they just sign him to a new contract and move him over saying his time in SF is done?

I don't see him joining the UFC right away, seems like that would be really bad PR. Let someone go from basically you're same company because you don't agree with him in some regard (whatever the final issue was) only to re-sign him? It would make SF look really bad and continue the UFC image of they can do whatever the F they want. If they wanted him in the UFC wouldn't they just sign him to a new contract and move him over saying his time in SF is done?

Exactly, which is why I mentioned the possiblity, but saying that I don't think it's the case. I think releasing Overeem might also be a warning sign to other even less-favored fighters-don't mess with us during negotiations.

Apparently, the basis behind this decision is that the management of certain fighters are looking to cut themselves into the deals they make for their fighters and Zuffa aren't down with that.

I'm not as enamoured with Overeem as a lot of people seem to be, so while it would have been nice to see him stick around and eventually get tested by a top-level fighter, I'm not losing any sleep if he never comes back to the Zuffa fold.

They can't do that without breaching their contract with Showtime, pillaging the entire Strikeforce roster isn't happening until the Showtime contract runs out.

They can't do that without breaching their contract with Showtime, pillaging the entire Strikeforce roster isn't happening until the Showtime contract runs out.

Well, it depends on what the contracts were to determine if there are any breaches. It's hard to speak on theoretical possiblities when we don't know what are in those contracts in the first place.

Fedor went completely limp after that shot.

Absolutely no question about that. The replays make it very clear that the first big shot Henderson landed after the scramble knocked Fedor out. Fedor kind of came too with the next two shots but he had been knocked out and the referee made the right call.

Fedor doesn't have anywhere to go from here, business-wise. His management may still want him to get a big money deal but with the way Fedor was beaten in his last two fights has killed him as far as being big money player go. There are absolutely fights Fedor could have that would have some intrigue to them but nothing that's doing any business. Certainly not enough to warrant the kind of money you know Fedor's management are going to try and get.

In the Women's title fight, I gave Coenen the first two rounds and the fight itself was good for those rounds but it petered out after that and it wasn't that exciting or engaging after that.

Overeem had been very dominant over lackluster opponents. He fought a true world-class MMA heavyweight in Werdum and didn't look spectacular. I want very much for him to make his way into UFC and see what he can do. Lots of the Shertards have been saying how if Reem or Werdum were in UFC today they'd tear through the top of that division. I'd really like to see if that's true or not.

Overeem had been very dominant over lackluster opponents. He fought a true world-class MMA heavyweight in Werdum and didn't look spectacular. I want very much for him to make his way into UFC and see what he can do. Lots of the Shertards have been saying how if Reem or Werdum were in UFC today they'd tear through the top of that division. I'd really like to see if that's true or not.

I wouldn't necessarily call Werdum a "world-class", but he's pretty good. He has many holes in his game, though. His wrestling is not good enough to take the fight to the ground, and his stand-up is only so-so. Werdum is a "world-class" BJJ practitioner, but I that's about it. But your point on Overeem is true otherwise - if he has a hard time with Werdum, he's going to run into difficulty in the UFC.

But more on the Fedor stoppage... I like Herb, and I think he was well within his discretion to stop the fight. It certainly looks like Fedor's arms went limp, and then he recovered, but there's still so fudge room to make it look iffy. But while I'm not sure Fedor was actually out cold, he could have been, and Herb was just doing his primary job: protect the fighters. His job isn't to let it go on until someone is REALLY REALLY knocked out.

Fight was fixed? Considering that Fedor fought in Japan without seriously losing once, I find it ironic that people accuse fixing. As for Herb being paid off, come on. He's been known to stop fights the SECOND he thinks the fighter is out, and he gives very little chances to recover. If you aren't out (like Dos Santos vs. Carwin), then there's a chance he isn't going to stop the fight. But if you are out, even for a second, then he's going to stop it. And I don't blame him. He's just doing his job-protect the fighters.

If they wanted a referee that was good, but would have let the fight go a bit longer, they should have chosen Josh Rosenthal, not Herb Dean. But hey, hindsight is 20/20, you know?

Or this guy....

...dunno about good, but I'm sure he would have let it go, lol

Oh my god, that referee was horrible.

But more on more point, I think if they wanted a good referree that would have let it go on a bit longer, Josh Rosenthal would have been the better choice. Herb Dean is better for those fights were fighters are known to have weak chins, considering how well Herb protects fighters.

What did you think of the fight, BH? Honestly speaking, it doesn't look Fedor is that much bigger than Dan Henderson these days. Feijao looked bigger (if not taller) than Fedor.