The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Cruz by dec

Berry by tko

Danzig by dec

Who do you guys have?

Other than Dominick Cruz vs. Demetrious Johnson, it's all "gobbley-gook" to me... which means I don't know the fighters well enough, the fights are too close to call, or that both fighters have holes that the other can exploit, which means a close match can suddenly switch towards a certain momentum, and/or the match is unpredictable. Nevertheless I shall try.

So, Cruz wins via decision.

Pat Parry wins via TKO.

Anthony Johnson wins via TKO.

Matt Wiman via Decision.

Yves Edwards vs. Rafaello Oliveira: Oliveira via decision.

Michael Johnson vs. Paul Sass: Paul Sass via decision.

Mike Easton vs. Byron Bloodworth: Mike Easton via decision.

Shane Roller vs. TJ Grant: Shane Roller via decision.

Josh Neer vs. Keith Wisniewski: Neer via decision.

Walel Watson vs. Joseph Sandoval: Sandoval via decision.

I'm probably going to be wrong all over the place. I don't know any of these guys well enough.

Edit: Hah, Watson wins via TKO. I thought it was an early stoppage, though.

Pretty great night of fights all around. The first fight was incredible. Rumble looked strong. Barry/Struve was boring but the unique finish made me forget all abotu the 7 minutes or so of fight before it. Cruz/Johnson was a strong strong fight as well. I thought Johnson gave Cruz a much better fight than I was personally expecting from him. I thought Cruz was going to finish him in dominating (no pun intended) fashion but it ended up being a fun fight.

Good stuff from the UFC tonight.

I feel like the flyweight division is a logical step as they have established names now in benevidez and johnson that would go along with the ufc newcomers. I think UFC fans have been receptive to the smaller weight classes and I'd like to see it.

And I totally agree on Danzig/Wiman. Those guys were hammering each other. Great heart and determination from both fighters. Thats the kind of stuff you cant help but love when you watch it.

Not only were they going after each other, but they were each using pretty much every weapon possible in MMA. Punches, kicks, elbows, knees, submissions, it was all there. Fun fight.

I ended up having to watch a UK stream last night since I don't get Versus. As a result, I saw roughly 40 commercials for their upcoming UK card headlined by Leben/Munoz. What I thought was interesting is that they've decided to sell Mark Munoz as a muay thai master in an attempt to hype the fight. I got a good chuckle each time I heard that.

BH do you know the fallout of Neil Grove from the UFC? He seems really bitter about it.

It was just a case of them bringing him in for a prelim on a UK card, him losing and looking useless while doing so, and getting cut. I dunno why, but some guys genuinely think that a three/five fight contract with the UFC actually means three or five fights. I guess he thought he would get another chance and was surprised when he didn't.

What they tell guys when they cut them is to go and get a few wins and they'll be invited back; obviously Neil hasn't been..that could have something to do with it as well.

Dude is one of the nicest guys I've met in MMA, FYI.

It was just a case of them bringing him in for a prelim on a UK card, him losing and looking useless while doing so, and getting cut. I dunno why, but some guys genuinely think that a three/five fight contract with the UFC actually means three or five fights. I guess he thought he would get another chance and was surprised when he didn't.

What they tell guys when they cut them is to go and get a few wins and they'll be invited back; obviously Neil hasn't been..that could have something to do with it as well.

Do you have any idea why he hasn't been? UFC isn't exactly brimming with Heavyweights right now, and looking for Grove's record, he's only had one loss since then, and it was to Cole Konrad. The only thing that I might see that could be a hole is, he has two submission losses, but other than that, I don't see why they woulodn't want him back. The dude has 11 KO/TKOs. He's a finisher. How is his ground game, though?

Edit: I forgot about his recent loss to Hayes.

Do you have any idea why he hasn't been? UFC isn't exactly brimming with Heavyweights right now, and looking for Grove's record, he's only had one loss since then, and it was to Cole Konrad. The only thing that I might see that could be a hole is, he has two submission losses, but other than that, I don't see why they woulodn't want him back. The dude has 11 KO/TKOs. He's a finisher. How is his ground game, though?

Edit: I forgot about his recent loss to Hayes.

He's nearly 41, he's only been doing MMA for a few years and he's basically just a big, heavy handed brawler. They're 10 a penny anywhere in the US, no need to fly a British-based Kiwi halfway across the world every time the want Matt Mitrione to win a fight, lol.

He's nearly 41, he's only been doing MMA for a few years and he's basically just a big, heavy handed brawler. They're 10 a penny anywhere in the US, no need to fly a British-based Kiwi halfway across the world every time the want Matt Mitrione to win a fight, lol.

Thanks for the facts, BH-those are fair points.

Some interesting news from Dana following the card. First, he said that he expects the UFC to put in a flyweight division by early next year. And second, he clarified the Japan/February cards thing. Apparently the Japan card is going to air live on free TV in the States and will lead into a PPV in Las Vegas that night. Sounds like the Japan card will be a souped-up version of the Spike prelims. I think that's an interesting idea.

Thanks, he just seemed really bitter about it in an interview talking about how bad he was treated. I have no problem with him not being in the UFC, was just curious if there was something more behind it that might have come out over there.

Thanks, he just seemed really bitter about it in an interview talking about how bad he was treated. I have no problem with him not being in the UFC, was just curious if there was something more behind it that might have come out over there.

You know, now that I think about it, I'm getting a vague memory of him pulling out of a fight and letting Dave O'Donnell (Cage Rage/UCMMA promoter) down when he went to the UFC. Dave allows anyone approached by the UFC, Strikeforce etc to leave; he basically tears up their contract and always welcomes them back. He actually chases Dana White to sign his top guys...look at every non-Kaobon Brit in the UFC...they nearly all came from Dave's shows.

Crazy trivia: Dave got Anderson Silva into the UFC.

But yeah, I have a funny feeling that Neil took the UFC fight at very short notice, kinda leaving Dave in the lurch. Dave obviously had Neil back in the end, but it must have been a bit embarrassing for the big fella, if that's what happened. I'll ask him in a couple of weeks when I next see him.

My pal John Maguire had a similar thing with his recent UFC signing. His manager got a call from Joe Silva on the Thursday before John's fight at UCMMA 23, telling him that Scanlon had pulled out and they wanted Maguire to fill in. His manager said yes, and was told that they'd have to pull John from the fight in 2 days time. He refused, saying that John wouldn't pull out on Dave with only two day's notice, and had also sold a ton of tickets to his gypsy mates, who'd be non too pleased. In the end Silva told him that if John won he was in, if he lost, he was out. John wasn't told by his manager until the after party following the fight. Was a pretty epic moment, especially as everyone was talking about Dave begging Dana to sign John on camera after the bout :)

But yeah, John has a 5 fight deal with the UFC, which basically amounts to 'you lose, you leave'.

2 Things.

Does anyone else watch Dana White's Vlogs?

My city is hosting an MMA event at the end of this month. Don't know what they are going to do or the fights, but they said they are doing something to donate money to the Shawn Tompkins fondation & will have an "after party" to watch UFC 137. Don't know if I'll go. Went to one in May, best sporting event experience ever.

Edit:

funny video