The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Theres already rumblings of "Haywire" being a flop. It was in 5th place and made about $9 million in the U.S.

I'm pretty sure they were looking for about $8 million to open as the film cost about $25 million to make. When I was a theater manager, the general "rule of thumb" was that you are typically looking to get a third of your budget back on opening weekend. Of course, this isn't the case for every film because you have to factor in marketing and merchandise and general awareness. For instance, a huge summer blockbuster needs to make more than a third of it's budget on opening weekend because general awareness of the film is much higher than something like this when you factor in toys, posters, star power, etc.

Anyway

In my opinion, $9 mil on opening weekend ain't bad. When you consider the lead is making her debut in a starring role I really don't think it did that poorly. I look to see this film later in the week so I'll post my thoughts on it in the movie discussion thread.

But good news for Gina Carano. She's charismatic and quite frankly I wish her success in film. The more MMA fighters that get out there, it's just more eyes on the sport and I don't see that as a bad thing.

I can't imagine that they were holding out hopes of a huge debut for Haywire. They marekted it on Carano, who is simply unknown to the general public. If they wanted to score big, they would have marketed it based on the supporting cast and/or moved it out of a period with some notable releases.

May have a fairly big bet on Rashad this weekend, this he's value even at 4/7ish, really can't see any way he loses this fight.

My only worry is that he can't keep the pace for five rounds, and Davis is a much, much, much better wrestler than he is. Davis doesn't exactly have Nick Diaz-level cardio, but if this descends into a sloppy takedown-fest, I could see Mr Wonderful nicking three rounds.

The odds on Bisping were NUTS. Gotta be worth putting a tenner on just incase at those odds.

Will be taking Evans, Sonnen, Maia, Dunham, Oliveira, Beltran, Roller and Russow in some kind of accumulator I expect. Maybe Swanson and Gagnon in there as well if I'm feeling lucky.

Haywire seems to do decent indeed. I'm going to have to check whether it will actually be available in my country. If so, I'll definately go and see it.

edit: What's with the preorder in the game? What does it add? It grants more skill points for career mode or what?

Pre-Order Bonuses Available:

Pre-order UFC 3 and get exclusive access to the UFC Ultimate Knockout Artist Boost Pack. Build your own specially designed knockout artist with this instant upgrade using tips from UFC 3 designers. This Create-A-Fighter boost saves 8-10 hours of gameplay to build your ideal knockout fighter.

edit: What's with the preorder in the game? What does it add? It grants more skill points for career mode or what?

Pre-Order Bonuses Available:

Pre-order UFC 3 and get exclusive access to the UFC Ultimate Knockout Artist Boost Pack. Build your own specially designed knockout artist with this instant upgrade using tips from UFC 3 designers. This Create-A-Fighter boost saves 8-10 hours of gameplay to build your ideal knockout fighter.

depends on where you pre-order. http://www.ufcundisputed.com/preorder

My only worry is that he can't keep the pace for five rounds, and Davis is a much, much, much better wrestler than he is. Davis doesn't exactly have Nick Diaz-level cardio, but if this descends into a sloppy takedown-fest, I could see Mr Wonderful nicking three rounds.

Yeah fair point...Davis hasn't been KO'd before so don't know what it'll take to achieve that, but I see a lot of shots being stuffed and he could get deterred before Rashad is tired.

Didn't realise Oliveira was fighting, really hope he puts it together at FW as he showed some amazing skills in his first few UFC fights. Annoyingly I'm going out and probably going to get home like half way through the event, will probably have to save it for the morning to avoid accidentally spoiling Bisping/Sonnen xD

Didn't realise Oliveira was fighting, really hope he puts it together at FW as he showed some amazing skills in his first few UFC fights. Annoyingly I'm going out and probably going to get home like half way through the event, will probably have to save it for the morning to avoid accidentally spoiling Bisping/Sonnen xD

Should be an easy fight for him.

Yeah, I dunno what to do yet...main card starts at 3am UK time, so I dunno whether to stay out till then and risk being too bladdered to enjoy the card/fall asleep, or to just come home at midnight and watch the prelims as well. Decisions, decisions...

I've done it a couple of times, but always ended up disappointed. I mainly just wait for the torr's to be up, though you have to hold it in: no sherdog visits (by accident) or anything. :p

If I miss a fight live (which happens so rarely that I can count it on the fingers of one hand over the past few years, if not longer), I have to turn off my phone until I've seen it. Email, facebook and twitter I can live without, but having my phone off is a ballache.

I don't torrent anything that I can legally obtain MMA-wise. Luckily I have BT Vision which has a built-in recorder and ESPN On Demand, so if I do miss a UFC live I don't have to download it. Don't have anything against torrents/downloads, but I CAN'T (thanks Amp) in good conscience steal from the industry that supports me :-p

I have no idea how I can legally obtain the WWE. Our country does not have PPV because we don't believe in it. Perhaps I can get legal streams from the website. They say it's only a couple of bucks.

I don't think they are legal streams of the WWE, at least not live ones.

I think the UFC offers legal streams, though.

So I played the demo of UFC undisputed 3. I haven't gotten a ton of time with it so I'm not going to really break it down. So please note that my impression of the demo is based off of about an hour of combined fight time.

But so far so good. I don't know why you'd go with those older "pro controls" when the "Amateur controls" work so much better and easier.

The submission system is still off. I never cared for EA MMA's sub system and this basically copies that more or less. That said, it seems like a good-feeling submission system doesn't translate as well to a video game as a striking system does, so I can't really fault them for trying something different. I like it better than the random crap that was UFC 2010's sub game.

Pride mode looks sweet. The presentation overall is great. Striking is still rock 'em sock 'em robots but I mean, it's a video game. It's probably the best representation of that aspect of the sport that I've seen and blows away EA MMA's striking game. It is about where my expectations were for it.

I'm looking forward to playing with it more.

Collegiate yes, but there's not much evidence to suggest that Davis' MMA wrestling is better than, or even as good as Rashad's. Davis was an outstanding college wrestler, infact there's very few guys in the UFC that can match his credentials as a wrestler, but in MMA, with the addition of strikes, that collegiate standard doesn't always crossover. Example being Johny Hendricks, one of the best college wrestlers of all time & the most decorated wrestler in the UFC, was outwrestled by Rick Story.

The lil' Nog fight really sticks out to me as a fight that showcased Davis' flaws in his MMA wrestling. He's very explosive, but Rashad has done an excellent job at mixing his strikes with his takedowns, which is the main reason why he's considered the best wrestler in the division, alongside Jones.

I expect the vast majority of this fight to stay standing, with Rashad's power strikes being the difference.

Collegiate yes, but there's not much evidence to suggest that Davis' MMA wrestling is better than, or even as good as Rashad's. Davis was an outstanding college wrestler, infact there's very few guys in the UFC that can match his credentials as a wrestler, but in MMA, with the addition of strikes, that collegiate standard doesn't always crossover. Example being Johny Hendricks, one of the best college wrestlers of all time & the most decorated wrestler in the UFC, was outwrestled by Rick Story.

I think it was a case of Hendricks saying he wasn't correctly preparing for Story. And Story himself was outwrestled by Brenneman, who Story said wasn't prepared for because he was preparing for another guy (Brenneman was a replacement).

But I necessarily disagree about Rashad's MMA wrestling, but I disagree on your assessment on Davis's MMA wrestling-we won't know yet, until happens

what I don't understand is why do some many people hate Jones?

Prototyical backlash against obvious immense talent combined with a projected attempt at humility that some see as false. Some MMA fans started turning on him as far back as the Shogun fight. I didn't see it there but I started to see it in the build of the Rampge fight. Its not to say Jones isn't a nice guy or a good dude, but he starts to feel like his public image is a bit too polished and false. There seems to be arrogance there he tires to hide. There isn't really anything wrong with a sense of bravado when its backed up by skill - tons of fighters have that. Not many fighters can effectively pull of the "always humble, always the nicest guy" route like GSP (who seems pretty genuine at it).

I don't think it's just the humble image thing though. Some of the stuff he says, the sheer amount of self belief he has, like the whole signing his name as champ before it happened thing, is exactly what some people despise. Personally I love that kind of casual arrogance that both him and Rashad possess.

I don't think it's just the humble image thing though. Some of the stuff he says, the sheer amount of self belief he has, like the whole signing his name as champ before it happened thing, is exactly what some people despise. Personally I love that kind of casual arrogance that both him and Rashad possess.

The problem is, they are "dishonest" about their arrogance. I'm not saying they are lying about it, but they aren't admitting they are arrogant. If you admit you are arrogant, and aren't afraid to hide it, but rather, show and EMBRACE it, people like that more. It's "real".

I don't dislike or hate either guy, but if you are being arrogant, just be upfront about it. No reason to be wear it on your sleeve.

This is going to be a heel program.