The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

I remember having a similar discussion online with someone a while back who was adamant that Demetrious Johnson wasn't going to go to 125lbs after he lost to Cruz. His reasoning? "Mighty Mouse doesn't want to. He said it himself".

Well in that case he was straight up wrong anyway, because I interviewed Mighty Mouse on our podcast a week or two before the Cruz fight and he said he planned to move down as soon at the UFC had a 125lb division :-p

Last week in his 144 pre-interview with Ariel he said he probably weighed 158-160 yet so he hadn't started his cut yet, this being 2/3 days before the fight.

If I'm his manager (and him) I'm causing all sorts of crap to get the 155 rematch, even though the argument isn't as solid as they make it to be. The "I gave everyone else a rematch" isn't a solid argument. BJ got the rematch because he was the only 155'er that could sell and has his UFC history. They didn't GIVE Gray a rematch, Frankie didn't beat him the first title fight time around since it was a draw, which people are seeming to leave out. It was much more of a continuation of the fight rather than Frankie being nice/forced to give Gray a rematch.

145 poses big problems for me from a manager and Frankie point. First, he hasn't done it before at this level so you don't know how the cut will go. He's not used to hehydrating lots then getting in there with a world class fighter like problem number 2: Jose Aldo is still a beast who is probably bigger than Frankie. So you want himt to go to 145 to escape people that are bigger than him only to fight someone thats bigger than him. Umm what? Third problem, what if Frankie loses the 145 title match? Right now 145 is Frankies career saving move, he starts to lose a few in a row he can bounce down. Do you really want to pull that card when you don't have to?

The big legit question is the health of course, can he keep breaking his nose and having at least one of his eyes swollen shut after each 155 fight for the next 5 years? However there is no guarantee that those things change at 145 as its how he likes to fight. Evenutally he may start to get dominated by larger 155'ers as the sport evolves but as of right now I just wouldn't go to 145 when its not a significantly greener pasture than the one he's at now. The man did just lose his second fight out of seventeen afterall and hasn't been finished.

I want to add, Frankie himself said he cut "zero" pounds in the press conference. In other words, he has rarely dried himself in MMA. Good for him. But guys like Bendo, they cut weight smart. I don't think he was cutting more than 10 to 20 pounds before the fight, considering how good Bendo's cardio was. Bendo was only a little slower, as well, while having a range advantage.

I'd say, Bendo/Pettis is probably going to happen sooner rather than later. Even if Dana White admits he thought Frankie won the match, he also admitted he would prefer him at 145, and that it was likely Pettis followed by the Diaz/Miller winner.

I think what Frankie best angle for is the winner of Diaz/Miller. He can outwrestle Diaz and Miller.

This is nuts...

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1001432/1179q8i.jpg

That is a pic from Mike Dolce's twitter, purportedly showing Thiago Alves tipping the scales. It was posted 3hrs after he weighed in at 170.5lbs.

27lbs in THREE HOURS. Bonkers.

It seems too crazy to be true. I've been asking a couple of people this morning who actually understand the science behind it properly and I'm told it is theoretically possible, using oral intake and double IV's...but none of them have managed, or have seen anyone manage, a similar amount in that length of time.

Either it's a fake, or Alves is a genetic freak and Dolce is a freaking genius!! :-p

Didnt Tito try and troll people with a post weigh-in picture one time?

Someone put their foot on the back of the scale as the pic was taken, looked like he weighed like 240lbs...

If its legit and Alves performs (doesnt gas) tomorrow night - thats amazing!

Looking forward to the fight, two of my favourite fighters.

They both were. Not sure if I prefer that or the mounted triangle. Nonetheless two very strong candidates for Sub of the Night already.

Yeah, actually, that's a good point - that triangle was on so quickly Semenzer barely knew what happened. Both excellent subs - I actually thought Waldberger was going to go for a Kimura at first after the way he had the arm following that takedown attempt.

Johnson vs. McCall was a fantastic fight, shame it was ruined by a terrible error from the commission. Looks like rematch will take place in Sweden or at UFC 145.

Incredible fight - the kind that really helps me get over the MMA overkill that is my life and reminds my why I love the sport. Inspired me to get up after only a couple of hours sleep and put in a quality early morning MMA sparring session for the first time in aaaaages.

Shame about Urushitani - he's better than that. Or maybe it's just the case that Joe is that good.

Anyway, I hope the UFC gets on with building the division now. They mentioned Jussier da Silva a few times last night, so it's looking good for him to get picked up. They also need Darrell Montague, Ulysses Gomez, Momoru Yamaguchi and BJ Kojima.

I fully expect them to stick the winner of Dodson/Uyenoyama right up there in the title picture though.

Can't see anyone beating JoeB at flyweight though, great performance & excellent fighter.

I think Jussier da Silva would give him a run for his money. McCall and Johnson too.

Didn't McCall beat Da Silva a year or so ago? But yeah i'm surprised they haven't signed him already to be honest. The flyweight division has great potential, i just hope they don't get buried on the undercards (which i suppose isn't as bad as it used to be considering all the fights are on tv nowadays) but yeah, looking forward to some great fights in the flyweight division.

Speaking of the flyweights, whatever happened to Pat Runez? His last fight was the incredible battle with John Dodson (check it out if you haven't seen it, awesome fight!) but that was back in 2009 & he hasn't fought since?

Didn't McCall beat Da Silva a year or so ago? But yeah i'm surprised they haven't signed him already to be honest.

Yeah, big upset at the time. I think Tachi thought that a guy from the WEC would be a good scalp for Formiga, and ended up having a new breakout American flyweight star on their hands.

They haven't really gone on a recruiting drive other than McCall and Urushitani. I'm sure they pick him up, and Montague when he's ready to come back.

Speaking of the flyweights, whatever happened to Pat Runez? His last fight was the incredible battle with John Dodson (check it out if you haven't seen it, awesome fight!) but that was back in 2009 & he hasn't fought since?

I was having this conversation with someone recently...I believe he's stepped away from the sport for a while.

Guest codey
McCall really does have great star potential for the UFC. He's got a good story, a fantastic (unique) look, and now a controversial loss in a high profile fight. UFC would be fools not to promote him.

McCall really does have great star potential for the UFC. He's got a good story, a fantastic (unique) look, and now a controversial loss in a high profile fight. UFC would be fools not to promote him.

Fight was a draw and Dana gave both fighters a win bonus, a re-match is happening in around april to see who faces Benavidez. I still think that McCall took the fight by winning at least two rounds and the third was a 10-8.

Great nickname too "Uncle Creepy" :D

Guest codey
Yep, I found out it was ruled a draw this morning. It makes you wonder what the judging requirements are. Clearly they don't include basic math.

Yep, I found out it was ruled a draw this morning. It makes you wonder what the judging requirements are. Clearly they don't include basic math.

Judges don't add their own scores, the commissioner does it. Judges just submit their scores after each round. The head of the NSW commission has admitted guilt for the situation.