The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Also - my main man John Maguire will be facing John Hathaway. This is a massive fight for UK MMA and should be a great contest to watch.

There was serious talk about Maguire vs Hardy at one point...

That's going to be a fantastic fight - I've been barking at anyone who'll listen that Maguire should be looking to fight someone like Hathaway - it'll be a great test for both of them.

Interesting as well that you say the Aussies are going to get slaughtered in the 'bashes' - I remember the UFC were actually putting out there that they had been shocked with the level of talent they had seen out there. Is it a case of the UFC doth protest too much, or are the UK guys really that good?

Interesting as well that you say the Aussies are going to get slaughtered in the 'bashes' - I remember the UFC were actually putting out there that they had been shocked with the level of talent they had seen out there. Is it a case of the UFC doth protest too much, or are the UK guys really that good?

Bit of both.

Some of the UK guys really shouldn't be on TUF, put it that way. I don't know a massive amount about the domestic scene in Australia, but I have mates over there in the business and catch a few shows that stream live. I know guys who have been over there to train too, and the message is always the same: They're years behind the UK.

I thought it would be fun to see what everyone's picks are for tonight so i'll start it out.

Anderson Silva (184) vs. Chael Sonnen (185)

Forrest Griffin (204) vs. Tito Ortiz (204)

Patrick Cote (185) vs. Cung Le (185)

Dong Hyun Kim (170) vs. Demian Maia (170)

Chad Mendes (146) vs. Cody McKenzie (145)

Mike Easton (135) vs. Ivan Menjivar (136)

Preliminary Card:

Khabib Nurmagomedov (155) vs. Gleison Tibau (155)

Fabricio Camoes (156) vs. Melvin Guillard (155)

Riki Fukuda (185) vs. Constantinos Philippou (186)

John Alessio (156) vs. Shane Roller (155)

Yoislandy Izquierdo (156) vs. Rafaello Oliveira (156)

Slightly related - I've got pretty much all the UK TUF guys confirmed. It's worse than UK vs USA - the Aussies are going to get mangled. If two Aussies even get to the Semi's, you can bet they'll be matched together because there is a high likelihood that the finale card (in Aus) will feature all-Brit finals.

Interesting! I was sure that this 'The Smashes' season would be geared towards showcasing the Australian talent, much like the USA vs. UK season was pretty much set up for the UK to win. Hopefully there's some decent fighters from both sides.

Any idea on coaches?

More excited for this than any fight all year. Feeling Silva's age has to catch up with him again, wouldn't back him for another hail mary sub. His antics before the fight have been interesting and confusing, if he comes out too wild he could get taken down...especially as Chael can take a hell of a shot on his way in.

A lot of Silva TKO predictions flying around, I think he's more likely to finish with a sub if he does knock him down.

Anderson Silva (184) vs. Chael Sonnen (185)

Forrest Griffin (204) vs. Tito Ortiz (204)

Patrick Cote (185) vs. Cung Le (185)

Dong Hyun Kim (170) vs. Demian Maia (170)

Chad Mendes (146) vs. Cody McKenzie (145)

Mike Easton (135) vs. Ivan Menjivar (136)

Preliminary Card:

Khabib Nurmagomedov (155) vs. Gleison Tibau (155)

Fabricio Camoes (156) vs. Melvin Guillard (155)

Riki Fukuda (185) vs. Constantinos Philippou (186)

John Alessio (156) vs. Shane Roller (155)

Yoislandy Izquierdo (156) vs. Rafaello Oliveira (156)

That's the way I see 'em. Only one I'm really genuinely not confident on is the main event. I really can't call it, but I think Silva just has more ways of winning - Chael only wins by a GnP TKO or a grinding decision. Anderson is capable of winning via almost any method, but it really isn't something I'd want to put my money on.

I respect Forrest as a fighter, but I really don't like him anymore. For all that attention-grabbing BS at the end of the fight but especially the crap he did with Tito and the microphone. Love him or hate him, Tito deserved a Joe Rogan interview that would lead into a farewell speech in the octagon.

I can still respect the guy as an entertaining fighter but I don't think much of Forrest Griffin right now.

Who wants to put money down on ONE MORE Tito fight so he gets his "real" farewell speech? Anyone?

I respect Forrest as a fighter, but I really don't like him anymore. For all that attention-grabbing BS at the end of the fight but especially the crap he did with Tito and the microphone. Love him or hate him, Tito deserved a Joe Rogan interview that would lead into a farewell speech in the octagon.

I can still respect the guy as an entertaining fighter but I don't think much of Forrest Griffin right now.

Who wants to put money down on ONE MORE Tito fight so he gets his "real" farewell speech? Anyone?

I agree that Tito deserved that one last moment with Joe Rogan & i have no idea what Forrest was thinking. Was a little bit disrespectful but then again Tito Ortiz is the last guy who should be complaining about someone being disrespectful.

I believe that was the last fight on Tito's contract with the UFC so i don't expect to see him back. I don't even think they would've giving him this fight had he not said it would be his last bout.

He'll never fight there again. It'd make UFC seem weak if they came back from their statement. Forrest first leaving the arena was a little off. UFC could've done without that. Him taking the mic wasn't that problematic imo. But if you indeed take into account that it was Tito's last it does come off a little awkward.

As for the main event: God damnit. Why did he have to try that backfist? Really, Sonnen? A spinning backfist is the answer? Even though he probably would've gotten downed somewhere else in the fight, he should've known better. And didn't he say he was going to quit MMA?

See I think Forrest dogging Tito out of his farewell speech to the UFC after all those years is an extremely big deal. I know Tito's been controversial to say the least but there's a major difference between talking dumb crap to hype a fight or better your standing in contract negotiations versus screwing a guy over like that int he middle of the octagon. And you are all smart enough to know that distinction. Phrase it however you want, Tito deserved a Joe Rogan interview with a farewell speech to the fans that paid to see it happen.

Forrest is a grown man and a professional and shouldn't have done that crap. But he apologized... yay for that...

See I think Forrest dogging Tito out of his farewell speech to the UFC after all those years is an extremely big deal. I know Tito's been controversial to say the least but there's a major difference between talking dumb crap to hype a fight or better your standing in contract negotiations versus screwing a guy over like that int he middle of the octagon. And you are all smart enough to know that distinction. Phrase it however you want, Tito deserved a Joe Rogan interview with a farewell speech to the fans that paid to see it happen.

Forrest is a grown man and a professional and shouldn't have done that crap. But he apologized... yay for that...

This is almost entirely the fault of the UFC itself. Forrest didn't shoo him out of the ring, he just asked him a couple of questions. He probably shouldn't have done that, but it was special in its own right. Rogan could have always given him his farewell speech after that. Those two little questions didn't take away from that opportunity imo. And if it was such a big deal, Rogan shouldn't have given the mic away. It's his responsibility. If anything, he gave away his own interview.

Anyhow, I think Forrest will have heard from Dana by now, and I don't think he was in a good mood.

Well Chael's manager has said he knows nothing about the appeal. I would think if there looking for a rematch then he would know about it.

The planned appeal was by his coach, independently of his manager, that's why there has been so much confusion.

"What I'm looking for is a rematch" - Scott McQuarry.

There is no legal basis for the result to be overturned. I love that Sonnen has blurred the lines so much that people are genuinely struggling to see what's real and what isn't with him.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Zoloftjunkie" data-cite="Zoloftjunkie" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Well what I saw was a two time loser.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Your point?</p>