The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Guest codey

We've discussed kickboxing here before, so would boxing be acceptable?

If so, wow. Did anyone see that robbery? People complain a lot about MMA's judging, but there's never any controversy about it being seemingly blatantly fixed.

And, a direct quote from Bob Arum: "This is a death knell for boxing, and I'm going to make a ton of money on the rematch." I honestly couldn't make something like that up.

If so, wow. Did anyone see that robbery? People complain a lot about MMA's judging, but there's never any controversy about it being seemingly blatantly fixed.

And, a direct quote from Bob Arum: "This is a death knell for boxing, and I'm going to make a ton of money on the rematch." I honestly couldn't make something like that up.

Even with the announcers clear bias toward Manny for basically the entire fight, I ignored it as best I could. I never once saw it as as close a fight as the judges did. I thought Manny won it fairly clearly. There have been many bad decisions in MMA but I have never seen one this bad luckily.

Didn't see it, but I'm yet to see a single person that agreed with the judges or even had it close, which is a pretty good indication that something was amiss. Boxing is hideously corrupt, but the problem is that no-one even cares all that much any more.

Also, anyone see UFC on Fox the other night? I was seriously impressed with Erick Silva - before that fight I had him in the Diego Brandao category - a furious striker, but if you survive the initial blitzkrieg, there's not much else there, but I thought he looked really impressive against Brenneman - even though he's not exactly a world-beater, I thought he'd smother Silva and grind out a decision.

When I heard the first score card read as "115-113 Pacquiao" I literally thought to myself, "wow thats awfully disrespectful to him".

That fight wasnt really all that close. Is it a fix? Possibly. But I wouldnt be surprised if those NSAC judges saw the fight in Bradley's favor because Manny made everyone wait so he could watch the Heat game.

Either way, the fight was Manny's. I hate hearing "you have no idea how hard these things are to judge." No.. shut up. Stop talking to me like boxing is this abstract art that only the NSAC understands. We all saw the fight. We all know what happened. It was a HORRENDOUS decision and they screwed it up.

It would certainly explain why Timothy Bradley was so keen to put his undefeated record on the line against a guy like Manny when Amir Khan (who's a good, but very beatable fighter) was reportedly offering him very good money for a unification fight.

In other news, anyone see Dana White's comments on that meeting with Brock Lesnar? Apparently the 'worst meeting they've ever had', and I imagine those two characters have had some pretty bad ones. :p

Looks like Brock's attempts to play the WWE and UFC off against each other in a bidding war haven't gone as well as he was hoping.

http://distilleryimage9.instagram.com/914b4ce8b2bc11e1a9f71231382044a1_7.jpg

Follow along, folks... You will cry.

When it comes to boxing nothing shocks me to be honest. If it was "fixed" (I did not see the fight but everything I read about it seems like there was something amiss.) at least the judges did the fixing and not the fighters.

The other night I was watching a biography about Tommy Lucchese and it talked about how he allegedly had a hand in fixing both of the Ali/Liston bouts, so yeah like I said when it comes to boxing nothing shocks me.

Interesting news coming out as well today (I think) as Dana White drops that Shogun (or more specifically his management) stated that Shogun would 'rather be cut' than face Glover Teixeira, which is part of the reason we've got the mismatch with Brandon Vera at UFC on Fox 4.

Now I don't really know what to make of this. Is it Shogun's management trying to protect him from a potential three-fight slide? Because Shogun really doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would duck anyone.

Interesting news coming out as well today (I think) as Dana White drops that Shogun (or more specifically his management) stated that Shogun would 'rather be cut' than face Glover Teixeira, which is part of the reason we've got the mismatch with Brandon Vera at UFC on Fox 4.

Funny thing is I had Vera vs. Shogun in my WMMA 3 game, thought it was a mismatch, but Vera won, then beast the mauler for a number one contender spot.

Side Note:

https://twitter.com/Timbradleyjr/status/207553002964398080/photo/1/large

which is part of the reason we've got the mismatch with Brandon Vera at UFC on Fox 4.

I don't think much of Brandon Vera's relevance in MMA these days, but at this point of his career with all of his injuries etc. Shogun is not a guy who fills me with confidence. I expect him to win, but i don't think he'll steamroll Vera.

Also not many people were calling Shogun vs. (Thiago) Silva a mismatch, infact alot of people, including myself where looking forward to that fight.. But lets not forget that Vera won all of the striking exchanges with Silva when they fought, but of course he got dominated on the ground. Thats not going to happen with Shogun, It will be a stand-up fight, & Vera is still a very good striker.

Shogun's track record speaks louder to me than Dana White. I have a ton of respect for Rua. His career of fighting some of the best fighters in history should speak to anyone who thinks he is "ducking" anyone.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning Shogun either (and incidentally, I'm pretty sure Dana wasn't - if I can find the quote, I'll link it, but I'm pretty sure Dana was indicating it was Shogun's management that made the claims, not Shogun himself) - the dude has never shown anything other than a desire to fight anyone at more or less any time.

If pushed to go one way or the other, I think it's probably a case that Shogun's management are aware that maybe his injuries are starting to take their toll and that perhaps his best days are now behind him, and they're trying to avoid putting him in fights against 'lesser' names where he's got a pretty good chance of getting beaten.

Personally, I can't see anything other than Vera getting steamrolled here. He's just not the same fighter he was when he first burst onto the scene. Obviously anything can happen in MMA, and a Vera win probably wouldn't make the top ten list of shocks, but I just don't see how he wins this.

If pushed to go one way or the other, I think it's probably a case that Shogun's management are aware that maybe his injuries are starting to take their toll and that perhaps his best days are now behind him, and they're trying to avoid putting him in fights against 'lesser' names where he's got a pretty good chance of getting beaten.

Give this man a cheroot.

Glover is the worst kind of fighter for match making; he's very tough, hard to beat and so could easily win, but worst of all is that he has no name. Rua or his management know this, so of course they're going to do decline the fight. It's a no-win for Rua; if he wins, he beat a guy with no name and gains nothing, but if he loses, he lost to a guy with no name and his standing takes that much more of a hit than it would if he lost to star. It's really quite logical. Nothing to get in a stew about.

I think Dana is making a different ploy here.

It's that he thinks Shogun is trying to duck Glover Texeira-Dana White is trying very hard to cause a rift between Shogun and his management. If this is not what Shogun believes and he didn't okay his management to do this, then Shogun might be pissed at his own management.

Dana hates dealing with managers. You guys do the math.

Or it could just be that Dana White is trying to promote Glover Teixeira! I mean saying things like 'nobody wants to fight this guy' is just a promoter being a promoter.

I think that's possible, but that imply that's he's still lying about what Shogun's manager said.

I don't think he's lying. To put this out there, there's a more personal reason. He usually doesn't talk about stuff like this in the public unless he's pissed about something. He really hates managers getting in his way, so he decided to put this out to see how Shogun and his management would react.

I think that's possible, but that imply that's he's still lying about what Shogun's manager said.

I don't think he's lying. To put this out there, there's a more personal reason. He usually doesn't talk about stuff like this in the public unless he's pissed about something. He really hates managers getting in his way, so he decided to put this out to see how Shogun and his management would react.

Thy need fresh challengers at 205. Glover's a vet, so they're trying to put him on the fast track. Shogun has already been tooled by Jones, they wanted/needed him to get Glover over. That's why they're pissed, they don't want to throw Gustafsson to the wolves that early... They also don't like the trend of fighters turning down fights in general. Weather it be mega-camps not wanting to fight each other, or the "I don't want to hurt my friend" line. It doesn't matter, Dana is going to go off on you to the press in hopes of turning everyone against you. You just need to ignore it, he's a buffoon, which makes that pretty easy.

Thy need fresh challengers at 205. Glover's a vet, so they're trying to put him on the fast track. Shogun has already been tooled by Jones, they wanted/needed him to get Glover over. That's why they're pissed, they don't want to throw Gustafsson to the wolves that early... They also don't like the trend of fighters turning down fights in general. Weather it be mega-camps not wanting to fight each other, or the "I don't want to hurt my friend" line. It doesn't matter, Dana is going to go off on you to the press in hopes of turning everyone against you. You just need to ignore it, he's a buffoon, which makes that pretty easy.

I don't disagree with this assessment, but I don't think that's the primary reason why he's doing this.

I still think his goal is to mess with Shogun's managers. One of them is lying. If it's Dana, then you are correct. But if it's Shogun's management, well, then we know what's up - either they are ducking Texeira for Shogun, or Shogun himself is. And I don't think Shogun would duck Texeira, but I think his management would.

The Teixeira fight is a 100% no-win situation for Shogun. If I was his manager, I'd absolutely turn it down. Glover is really, really good...the UFC have been trying to sign him for years, ever since he was Chuck Liddell's sparring partner back when Chuck was rampaging.

He's also a 'nobody' in the sense that nobody outside of the super-hardcore MMA fans know who he is, or had seen him fight before the UFC managed to sign him.

A win over Teixeira does nothing for Shogun. A loss kills him, and more importantly for his managers, any leverage they have at the negotiating table.

Dana's problem is that he is in the middle of the worst injury crisis his promotion has ever had. He needs fights. He doesn't need managers telling him no, especially when they have him over a barrel.

Is Dana trying to create a rift between Shogun and his managers? I don't think so. Ask yourself: What would he gain from that? If Shogun sacks his manager, he'll just go and get another one. Or better yet, sign with a big sports agency as is becoming the norm.

I wouldn't read anymore into this than just Dana being Dana. Things didn't go his way, somebody caused him a problem and he's trashing them for it in public. Typical day at the office! :-D

Similiar explantion to Makhai but your extra tidbits make a bit more sense to me. I concede.

That being said, I'm not sure fighters are getting injured more, I think it's they are more willing to disclose them. Although they are not getting a payday for a fight, some of them are probably looking to use that insurance poicy the UFC has. That reminds me....

What happened with Bibiano Fernandes?

Bibiano got a bigger money offer from ONE FC but he's holding off on weighing the pros and cons until his wife gives birth. It's either more money in ONE FC or more exposure and guarantee with the UFC.

Bibiano in UFC would be cool because he's a good fighter but at the same time I wouldn't mind a match with Crusher or someone else ONE FC has under contract.

The Teixeira fight is a 100% no-win situation for Shogun. If I was his manager, I'd absolutely turn it down. Glover is really, really good...the UFC have been trying to sign him for years, ever since he was Chuck Liddell's sparring partner back when Chuck was rampaging.

He's also a 'nobody' in the sense that nobody outside of the super-hardcore MMA fans know who he is, or had seen him fight before the UFC managed to sign him.

A win over Teixeira does nothing for Shogun. A loss kills him, and more importantly for his managers, any leverage they have at the negotiating table.

Dana's problem is that he is in the middle of the worst injury crisis his promotion has ever had. He needs fights. He doesn't need managers telling him no, especially when they have him over a barrel.

Is Dana trying to create a rift between Shogun and his managers? I don't think so. Ask yourself: What would he gain from that? If Shogun sacks his manager, he'll just go and get another one. Or better yet, sign with a big sports agency as is becoming the norm.

I wouldn't read anymore into this than just Dana being Dana. Things didn't go his way, somebody caused him a problem and he's trashing them for it in public. Typical day at the office! :-D

I agree with everything except this. 2010 and 2011 were just as bad, and it's not going to get any better. This is the new norm. It's the culmination of the UFC urging guys to overtrain, train for the wrong reasons(Adonis complex), and then give them full-coverage insurance. Not that the latter is a bad thing, of course. This sport is about to hit a huge market downturn in the very near future, and it's small promoters who will feel pain from the UFC's folly. This is why monopolies are bad, folks.