The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

If you saw the fight u might think differently. If Lombard didn't do enough to wint he fight, great, but Boesch did even less. It was a bad decision. You pickt he guy who won the fight. You don't go, "Oh well nothing happened in that round so I'm going to arbitrarily just pick a fighter". Lombard was dictating the pace of the fight and displaying better "octagon control". It was a poor, poor decision;

I agree with this. And that's sad because I wanted Boetch to de-rail the hype train. and he literally didn't do a thing. He won the fight by defending.. I will never understand that. Neither were very aggressive, but Lombard was more so, and landed more significant strikes, even rocked him once. and got takedowns when he stuffed everything thrown at him.

I was SHOCKED when they announced the score card. Idk if they were going off straight stats for that or what, but if you watch it, Lombard should have gotten the W

So Supa Fight Leeaague is doing some sort of Ultimate Fighter / Tough Enough show. It's set to be in the LW division apparently. One wonders whether it's in fact a serious matter. Fighters are all Indian, as its purpose seems to be to promote MMA in India, the whole point of SFL in the first place. There are 8 male and 8 female contestants, though I really wonder how they will organise fights as the women's weight is all over the place, ranging from 105lbs (straw?) to Bantamweight.

As for last nights' card: Ya I have no right to comment on it, but I read the Sherdog report and they seemed content with the decision. Or they were just tired of arguing the results. :) Also didn't see the post-conference. Would he really have called the fighters sh*t and all (what I understand as 'trashing' them)? I highly doubt that. Maybe he shouldn't do that. But he should state that this is not the way he wants it to go, or he'll lose fans. Not a lot of people like technical stand-up battles were most of the damage is avoided. Some do like technical grappling, but even that is boohd sometimes...

That fight was a huge let down when you consider the hype around the debut of Hector Lombard. I was definitely excited for it but it was certainly bizarre! That said, i do believe he won (albeit barely). Although i don't think either fighter comes out of that one with there stock raised.

I'm surprised at the amount of people criticising the Faber/Barao fight.. That was a good fight, surprisingly one-sided but still, it wasn't bad at all. I was very annoyed at the "bullshit" chants towards the end of that fight! Extremely disrespectful!

The main event was a great fight for fans like us but not for the rank and file fans who make up the bulk of the audience. It wouldn't have gotten such a vehement reaction had it not come after two horrible fights, but fights like that are never going to be warmly received by the masses. Lombard did far more to win the fight than Boetsch did but to say either man won the fight would be calling them guilty of petty theft.

Does Reem deserve the title shot he's talking about? I don't think so. The guy's probably the second best HW int he UFC, so for that reason I can see it. But how many times does he need to get in Roid trouble? Can you afford to put your belt on a guy that can and probably will pop hot in a PPV main event?

Does Reem deserve the title shot he's talking about? I don't think so. The guy's probably the second best HW int he UFC, so for that reason I can see it. But how many times does he need to get in Roid trouble? Can you afford to put your belt on a guy that can and probably will pop hot in a PPV main event?

Overeem has only ever failed for roids once in his career, & it was a random test almost 2 months before UFC 146, not immediately before or after the fight. Not that it's ok for him to do it inbetween fights, but still there's no reason to suggest that Overeem would fail a test following any future fight's in the UFC.

Again not that it's an excuse for him, but Overeem failed the test due to "elevated levels of testosterone" yet there's a ton of guys in the UFC, including Frank Mir, who replaced him in that fight, who are being legally allowed to elevate there testosterone levels by the same commission that busted Overeem.

Vera vs Rua was heart-stopping, man. That whole fight I was hoping Vera would put it all together. What an amazing performance from him! I hope they find a nice fight for Brandon Vera. Maybe a fight a Forrest Griffin or Thago Silva. Something where it doesn't seem like a step backwards. Because he looked really impressive. He was landing shots from everywhere and staying strong up close. I never felt like he was getting bullied around. Even when he was taking those occasional barrages from Rua, he was quick and moving to avoid getting hit by those things flush. He did everything right but win the fight. Great stuff.

Great night of fights all around. It was really cool seeing Swick get his win. J-Lo vs Varner was a war too.

I'm not that excited for Machida/Jones (should he get through hendo blah blah blah) but it's probably the fight that makes the most sense. I dunno, I think if you go after Machida and keep throwing leg kicks and stuff at him he doesn't seem to fair too well. When you lay back and try to find your spots, he's just going to pick you apart. I dont think he's got much of a chance against Jones but we'll see.

Vera vs Rua was heart-stopping, man. That whole fight I was hoping Vera would put it all together. What an amazing performance from him! I hope they find a nice fight for Brandon Vera. Maybe a fight a Forrest Griffin or Thago Silva. Something where it doesn't seem like a step backwards. Because he looked really impressive. He was landing shots from everywhere and staying strong up close. I never felt like he was getting bullied around. Even when he was taking those occasional barrages from Rua, he was quick and moving to avoid getting hit by those things flush. He did everything right but win the fight. Great stuff.

That's pretty much exactly what I thought. I don't mind a messy fight when both guys are going at it hammer and tong. Makes for great viewing, and it will probably please Dana after his mental explosion after the UFC 149 debacle LOL.

The "fight" sounded like it was very awkwardly hamfisted in there.

Amazing card, don't like Machida getting a shot so soon but hopefully Jones disposes of him once and for all. Shogun's crazy wars are amazing, would rather see another of those than him getting mandhandled I guess.

The "fight" sounded like it was very awkwardly hamfisted in there.

It was, the decision was made on the day, just a few hours before the fights.

I can't really say a whole lot about it at the moment, but lets just say that somebody should have been a little bit more careful when they were sewing up the rights to their catchphrase :-p

I can't really say a whole lot about it at the moment, but lets just say that somebody should have been a little bit more careful when they were sewing up the rights to their catchphrase :-p

he had to change because he or the ufc didn't have the copyright of the catchphrase? WOW

<p><a href="http://www.mmaweekly.com/alistair-overeem-responds-to-junior-dos-santos-i-think-hes-afraid-to-fight-me" rel="external nofollow">http://www.mmaweekly.com/alistair-overeem-responds-to-junior-dos-santos-i-think-hes-afraid-to-fight-me</a></p><p> </p><p>

LOL... so a man begs his boss to fight you.... OBVIOUSLY SCARED.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Reem's a lunatic lol, but still, I kinda wanna see this fight more and more as time goes on. I think JDS is a much more complete fighter than Reem (so is Cain) and I don't think it'll be even close but we'll just have to see.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="bigtplaystew" data-cite="bigtplaystew" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><a href="http://www.mmaweekly.com/alistair-overeem-responds-to-junior-dos-santos-i-think-hes-afraid-to-fight-me" rel="external nofollow">http://www.mmaweekly.com/alistair-overeem-responds-to-junior-dos-santos-i-think-hes-afraid-to-fight-me</a><p> </p><p> LOL... so a man begs his boss to fight you.... OBVIOUSLY SCARED.</p><p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> This might be a stretch, and it's a crazy idea so bear with me, but I think, just think, that Overeem is angling to get a big money fight. I mean, I may be wrong, and it would out of character for a fighter to do such a thing, but I think Overeem is just trying to get the biggest fight he can.</p>

<p>The problem they're gonna have is time. Technically, it is possible for them to pull this fight off. They'd need to get a special hearing convened for the day before the fight and they'd need Reem to be licensed at that hearing. They'd have to basically set a new precedent here, as usually a fighter cannot apply for a hearing until his suspension is up. Presuming it'll be in Vegas though, they might get it pushed through. </p><p> </p><p>

The risk is huge though - what if something comes out in the hearing that means they can't licence him? What if he fails a test a couple of days before? I'm not even sure if it's legal to sell tickets for a fight where one of the participants is unlicensed. It's a bit of a grey area, I'm trying to get it clarified. </p><p> </p><p>

Lets say they can get around the red tape - there's still the chance, however minute, that Reem doesn't get licensed. That would mean that someone (presumably Cain Velasquez) would have to step in on a day's notice. That makes no sense for anyone. There's nothing to be gained by either Cain or JDS taking that big of a fight on a day's notice. Even if he's already in a fight on the undercard, he'd have to be prepping for two guys which is never good. Reminds me of the Shamrock/Ortiz/Liddell situation from way back.</p>