The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

I'm sorry but when it comes to any sort of fighting sport be it boxing, kick-boxing, MMA in general, the amount of heart and willingness to fight an individual has matters greatly to any real fan.

A world-class skilled champion facing an opponent, an inferior opponent in the eyes of many, but doesn't let that sidetrack his consistent fight-to-fight mindframe to give it all he got 110% to further prove to the world why he was the champion.

Sure skills and talent are a major factor, but we have seen countless times in the past where an individual was cheered on heavily despite being outmatched talent-wise, his persona and mindset to go out there and give it all he got anyway towered over his underdog status.

"The Heart of The Champion". Many hungry and aspiring fighters have that, but few greats can really retain that mindset even after they tasted the gold. Sad to say that it looks like Jones has lost that fire already.

well i get the having heart thing, and it seems like champions do start to lack it, but when he was coming up he was hungry and tore through people. now he is the champion so he feels he has more leeway to do as he pleases.

Though it is rational behaviour, it is wrong imo. A fighter remains a fighter, no matter what positions or ranks he holds. You see that too often, fighters who reach the 'top of their level', and then go on to stall bouts until there is a 'worthy' opponent. Surely if the rest is that much inferior they can fight them if no contender arises in a half a year? Of course it is more complicated than this, but you get the point. At the very least, he should have the heart.

As a contrast, you don't see that with Rousey, who gets respected a lot because of it. She just beat the top contender, and goes out seeking opponents, whereas she could just sit back and wait a full year before someone new emerges, as that will take a long time. Cyborg herself also fought Finney for example, who had no claim on that title shot. You just fight.

It is disparaging to see how many people have been suckered in by Whites imbecilic rant. Jones has a right to get more than 3 days preparation when asked to fight someone. I have no idea why Jones was hated by some before this, but the UFC has capitalised on that and made sure the blame is placed at his door rather than theirs. Maybe the UFC will learn a lesson about putting on a PPV event with only one name match up on it.

There's no doubt that this is at least partially (if not mostly) UFC's fault. Anyone with half a brain can recognize that they're pissed at Jones, they cancelled the show, and blamed him personally. Which is unfair because if the problem was on THEIR end where THEY couldn't put together a challenger for Jones, they'd have shuffled stuff around and we'd have just gotten a crappy main event for 151.

We all know this and see this.

Jones has talked a lot of crap about people trying to duck him then pulls this. Another thing to go after him for is the fact that the champion shouldn't be the one who decides who fights for the company's title. If he was slated to fight, and the company offered him a fight, he should have taken it. and when he didn't he deserved to be called out for it in my opinion. Zuffa shouldn't have to shoulder all the blame themselves when they came up with a marketable fight but the champion bitched out.

I think one can address these points and criticize Jones without putting full ownership for 151's cancellation on him. We all know and understand the UFC is not innocent in this.

Jones is not indebted to the UFC, he does not need to bend over when they ask it. It is reasonable for a champion to get sufficient time to prepare for his/her opponent. If the UFC want to come across as a professional combat sports company, they would allow that and handle it with grace. Instead, White comes out and insults his #1 guy and a successful trainer.

Henderson is as much to blame as Jones is. On that note I am not sure why they didn't have contingency plans in place when they knew about his injury weeks ago.

On that note I am not sure why they didn't have contingency plans in place when they knew about his injury weeks ago.

They didn't know; Henderson kept it secret until this past week. That's why I think Henderson should get more of the blame than he is, because he never alerted the UFC the moment he injured himself and didn't keep them apprised of the situation.

There is plenty of blame to go around for this mess and trying to apportion all of it or even most of it one party is to miss the entire picture.

And the "haters" will keep hating until he either redeems himself with a jaw-dropping performance or he gets knocked the f*** out and drops the title, bitter karma biting him on the ass. I hope he's proud of himself, everyone likes to be the first in everything. He has the honor of being the first big name p**** to duck a title defense (against someone many deem inferior) and completely cancel the card in the process! I wonder how the guys who were scheduled to fight on the Mid-card, under-card feel. A lot of those are making pennies at this point in their careers, many of them were looking forward to their fights to help with their financial situations at home. Hope this chump is happy with himself. Not saying that this would prevent Dana from re-signing him when his contract expires, but that negotiating process is going to be a long and stressful one for him with this on his track record.

Please explain to me how it's Jon Jones' fault that Zuffa created an entire PPV card solely reliant on one man, or one single fight, to carry the whole event? Dana White/Lorenzo Fertitta chose to scrap the whole card, nobody forced them into anything! In the entire 11 year history of the UFC under Zuffa they have never cancelled an entire event, yet this is certainly not the first time in those 11 years that a PPV headliner has dropped out of a main event!

Fair play to Dana White though.. Once again he's made a controversial decision & has deflected the blame away from himself & onto others! Charlie Brenneman & Jeff Hougland should be tweeting at Dana & Lorenzo, not Jon Jones.

Anyway away from the UFC 151 saga.. Anyone see Bellator 135-pound champion Eduardo Dantas getting knocked out by Tyson Nam in Brazil.

Bellator got to be kicking themselves right about now. It's one thing having your champion lose in a non-title fight in your own promotion (M'Pumbu) but to have your champion lose in an other organization has got to hurt.

To make matters worse for Bellator, It looks like Tyson Nam is UFC bound.

Anyway away from the UFC 151 saga.. Anyone see Bellator 135-pound champion Eduardo Dantas getting knocked out by Tyson Nam in Brazil.

Bellator got to be kicking themselves right about now. It's one thing having your champion lose in a non-title fight in your own promotion (M'Pumbu) but to have your champion lose in an other organization has got to hurt.

To make matters worse for Bellator, It looks like Tyson Nam is UFC bound.

I was rather shocked to see Wiuff dispatched of, especially so quickly and viciously. Me and my buddies were thinking Wiuff was gunna smash through Veh, and then he gets clocked, and it was so fast it almost looked like an early stoppage, but when they slowed it down he was cold cocked. Maybe M'Pumbu will defend after all lol

Now that I think about it, I really don't see why Greg Jackson's in the wrong at all. What decent trainer would advise his fighter to take a fight like that on such short notice? If anything, I think Jackson's been nothing but honorable. I'm not too knowledgeable about the business end of MMA but I assume Jackson makes a nice payday if Jones fights at 151.

He was asked his opinion on if his guy should take a championship fight on extremely short notice. Of course he said no.

Now that I think about it, I really don't see why Greg Jackson's in the wrong at all. What decent trainer would advise his fighter to take a fight like that on such short notice? If anything, I think Jackson's been nothing but honorable. I'm not too knowledgeable about the business end of MMA but I assume Jackson makes a nice payday if Jones fights at 151.

He was asked his opinion on if his guy should take a championship fight on extremely short notice. Of course he said no.

I can see why this situation would confuse you. After all, Jones did have a full training camp and would be in absolute peak condition. How could anyone expect him to take on an undertrained, underprepared fighter, who lacks the dynamite punch that Henderson has, has very limited stand-up skills as it is, and who openly admits he would have stood no chance in those conditions. Who in their right mind would accept as gift wrapped a big money fight as you'll ever get?

Fight substitutions happen regularly in the UFC; it's become almost a running joke this past year. But you don't find many fighters turning them down, especially when it really is as gift wrapped as this one was. Jones had the right to turn down the fight but that doesn't mean he was right.

The fact that such a fight was turned down tells me one of two things; they're that scared of Sonnen or that they're scared of not having Jackson being able to come up with one of his famed gameplans. If it's the former, they're screwed because you know Dana will now give Sonnen the Jones fight as soon as he can. If it's the latter, then there are bigger problems to worry about and they're nothing to do with Jones, at least directly.

Henderson not disclosing the injury suggests a plan hatched by him and Chael.

A plan that would require both men to know in advance that anyone else offered the fight would turn it down and that Dana would eventually decide to go with Sonnen, a man everyone would be thinking is not ready for a fight at this time and who Dana doesn't think should get a title shot without a series of good wins at 205lbs.

It makes for a nice theory but it's doesn't stand up. Henderson has also stated that Chael had no idea he was injured, and given that word of Henderson actually being injured didn't surface anywhere until almost right before it was announced, it's certain that few people outside of Henderson's close circle even knew about it.

Guys, I can't stress enough how awesome this Saturday's Cage Warriors card is going to be. With UFC 151 not being on, you'd be mad not to tune in. If you're outside the UK, it's free on MMAJunkie as well, with the prelims on Facebook. If you're in the UK, you can catch the Facebook prelims free, and the main card on Sky Sports this Wednesday at 11pm.

Get involved!

I was rather shocked to see Wiuff dispatched of, especially so quickly and viciously. Me and my buddies were thinking Wiuff was gunna smash through Veh, and then he gets clocked, and it was so fast it almost looked like an early stoppage, but when they slowed it down he was cold cocked. Maybe M'Pumbu will defend after all lol

Travis Wiuff is an up-and-comer... Scott Perretti told me so. He'll be fine.;)

Guys, I can't stress enough how awesome this Saturday's Cage Warriors card is going to be. With UFC 151 not being on, you'd be mad not to tune in. If you're outside the UK, it's free on MMAJunkie as well, with the prelims on Facebook. If you're in the UK, you can catch the Facebook prelims free, and the main card on Sky Sports this Wednesday at 11pm.

Get involved!

Meh, this one is a skip. CW 49 in October though? I'm all over that.