The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

I always take words so literal. :p It was a little awkward to see GSP use the same promotion technique, I really thought he took it personal, but it appeared to be a ruse. Once again this shows how classy both fighters are. Truly exemplary for young people across the globe. Still can't believe common people still cr*p on Diaz while he's really just an awesome person. He and Rousey represent a style of fighting and promoting relatively new to this era of competitive fighting. What's there not to like. Maybe some people just lack common sense, or an education in general. Diaz's speech was in no way 'bitching' about MMA. He said it's not really for him anymore and he wanted to do something else, change his role concerning the sport. People whine about him no-showing media events and now they do the same thing when he talks sense. Oh well...

What I would do is schedule a rematch between Condit & Hendricks and let Ellenberger go for the title, but that will probably not be the most optimal match-ups.

UFC's got its sh*t together now. Lots of good matchups on TV shows. It's really nice to see.

• 2 weeks later...
well.. Bellator is bullshit now. Ref seperates them for the end of the round after one is knocked down and they call the fight? He wasn't even out!

I thought it was a perfectly legit call. You aren't saved by the bell. The fault is all Awad's in this case. You can't just lay on the mat like that after the bell, you're just giving the ref a reason to stop it. If you can get up, you've got to stand and get to your corner.

I thought it was a perfectly legit call. You aren't saved by the bell. The fault is all Awad's in this case. You can't just lay on the mat like that after the bell, you're just giving the ref a reason to stop it. If you can get up, you've got to stand and get to your corner.

Exactly. Just go back and look at the Chad Griggs vs Bobby Lashley fight. If Awad wanted to continue he should have gotten up and went to his corner like you are supposed to. I saw absolutely nothing wrong with the ref stopping it.

The fault is all Awad's in this case. You can't just lay on the mat like that after the bell, you're just giving the ref a reason to stop it. If you can get up, you've got to stand and get to your corner.

Completely incorrect. He can lay there until he's called out for the next round if he wants, unless the ref instructs him otherwise... which he didn't. Troy should have waved it off at the bell if he was going by his "You're not saved by the bell" statement. Otherwise he should have communicated with the fighter, which he did not.

Completely incorrect. He can lay there until he's called out for the next round if he wants, unless the ref instructs him otherwise... which he didn't. Troy should have waved it off at the bell if he was going by his "You're not saved by the bell" statement. Otherwise he should have communicated with the fighter, which he did not.

I have to disagree. I'm aware in any normal circumstance if a fighter just wants to chill on the mat, have at it. However, after going face first to the canvas at the bell, you're going to have to show signs of life if you don't want it stopped.

Not sure how this is any different than Penn/Sherk, other than Sherk actually tried to stand afterwards.

This.

Even Awad himself was shocked the ref didn't tell him what to do. I think he would have won the fight had it continued like it should have IMO.

I have to disagree.

You're welcome to disagree, but that doesn't change the rules. A fighter is entitled to stay where he is until told otherwise. Simple as.

I'm not saying that Awad was or wasn't done - the only person in a good enough position to make that call was the ref. That's not the issue here anyway. The ref should have called it at the bell, not waited (giving the fighter, and almost everyone watching, the impression that the round was over), then waved it off without communicating with the fighter.

Sallfeldt stated that the laceration was a “freak accident” that occurred during the 26-year-old’s final scheduled sparring session, and that there was a “99 percent chance [that Gustafsson] will not be cleared in time”

Gotta love april fools day. Freak accident... That only happens in TEW. What are the odds? Like a main event's gonna be cancelled... :p

Ow wait... :D

Does anyone have any intel on the new UFC game, supposedly in development by EA? Are they gonna stall it until the new generation of consoles is online?

I scoured the internet and there's nothing on the subject.

The Bellator game was also going to have some extra content in january, they said. It's been months without any info.

So all indications are that Gus is out.

Interesting thing to note - The press packs (email sent out/folder full of papers given at press check in) distributed today with the fight week schedule on had numerous Gus-related events. Could be that they just didn't change them, or that he's still doing media rounds for local press purposes (most likely). Could also be that the UFC are going to push this to the wire and get him re-checked on Friday, along with everyone else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I don't remember exactly how I had it round by round but I know going into the 5th I had it split. I really think it could have gone either way after the 5th. To be honest I think it easily could have ended up a draw, and I would hardly call a fight that close a robbery regardless of winner or loser.

I honestly think that fight deserves a rematch much more than Edgar did, but Gil seems humble enough to work his way back up, and I respect that. Will be interesting to see whats next. They're claiming giving the next shot to the winner of Grant/Maynard, and in that case I just say give it to Gil..

I think he believes he could have turned it up a bit more. He seemed a little bit concerned about his cardio. I also want to add that Gilbert did much better than Edgar or Nate did, but mainly because he's a bit more well-rounded than those two.

But I always wonder why does Melendez have so much trouble with Thomson?

I think he believes he could have turned it up a bit more. He seemed a little bit concerned about his cardio. I also want to add that Gilbert did much better than Edgar or Nate did, but mainly because he's a bit more well-rounded than those two.

But I always wonder why does Melendez have so much trouble with Thomson?

Thompson is badass in his own right. After rocking Diaz when he was mocking him the whole fight I ws impressed. Thompson is no slouch, and I think he's closer than Grant (who even as a pretty hardcore fan, he does not ring any bells or have any big wins to me) or Maynard (who has the 1-1-1 going right now.

Thompson is badass in his own right. After rocking Diaz when he was mocking him the whole fight I ws impressed. Thompson is no slouch, and I think he's closer than Grant (who even as a pretty hardcore fan, he does not ring any bells or have any big wins to me) or Maynard (who has the 1-1-1 going right now.

I like him, but he has had a couple of weird losses - people that shouldn't be on his level beating him.

I know I'm probably in the minority but I actually really like Gray Maynard and I enjoy his fights for the most part. I think if he finishes TJ Grant who is 4-0 in the lightweight division and has only lost at welterweight in the UFC, then he is really close to deserving another title shot.

But really I think Anthony Pettis is the best Lightweight and possibly Featherweight and he should be getting the next shot and Aldo should fight someone else.

^

I agree with this. Pettis or Melendez IMO. But seeing as Aldo is a beast, hard to bet against him.

and don't get me wrong, I like Gray and I think of anyone with that record, he has the best reasoning for it. He didn't drop much in rankings even after losing to Edgar, but then his fight with Guida was just bizarre.. I think if anything that dropped him more than the Edgar loss.

Guess I jsut didn't notice how lacking the LW division was for contenders right now. All Aldo possibly moving up is guna do is create two lackluster divisions it seems.

^

I agree with this. Pettis or Melendez IMO. But seeing as Aldo is a beast, hard to bet against him.

and don't get me wrong, I like Gray and I think of anyone with that record, he has the best reasoning for it. He didn't drop much in rankings even after losing to Edgar, but then his fight with Guida was just bizarre.. I think if anything that dropped him more than the Edgar loss.

Guess I jsut didn't notice how lacking the LW division was for contenders right now. All Aldo possibly moving up is guna do is create two lackluster divisions it seems.

Lightweight is lacking for contenders. I bet a lot of the guys can give Bendo a run for his money.

Problem is, can anyone put together a good win streak in LW?

Lightweight is lacking for contenders.

I would love to see BJ Penn at lightweight again but I'd want him to get one favorable fight before he faces anyone that good. But then again I wouldn't mind seeing BJ vs. Nate. I'm not sure if they're friends or not. I'm actually watching TUF 5 on my DVR right now. They're replaying that season on FUEL TV, soon to be Fox Sports 2.

I would love to see BJ Penn at lightweight again but I'd want him to get one favorable fight before he faces anyone that good. But then again I wouldn't mind seeing BJ vs. Nate. I'm not sure if they're friends or not. I'm actually watching TUF 5 on my DVR right now. They're replaying that season on FUEL TV, soon to be Fox Sports 2.

I'm amazed he didn't retired after Rory embarassed him honestly. He did not look any better than a punching bag in that fight. If he bounces back I'd def like to see him in there with some younger guys to give them a chance