The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Thoughts on the Alvarez situation?

As a fan, I think I'd prefer to see him in the UFC, just because some of the matches are interesting. In terms of the legal details, I don't really have the background to how things should pan out though.

Aside from the outcome, I find the details of his offer pretty interesting: http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/01/eddie-alvarezs-ufc-offer-includes-immediate-title-shot-pay-per-view-cut

Thoughts on the Alvarez situation?

As a fan, I think I'd prefer to see him in the UFC, just because some of the matches are interesting. In terms of the legal details, I don't really have the background to how things should pan out though.

Aside from the outcome, I find the details of his offer pretty interesting: http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/01/eddie-alvarezs-ufc-offer-includes-immediate-title-shot-pay-per-view-cut

what I don't get is when Lombard was in contract talks, the head said he was happy to have Lombard go, now saying this. Spike has something to do with this.

what I don't get is when Lombard was in contract talks, the head said he was happy to have Lombard go, now saying this. Spike has something to do with this.

The Spike deal was in place before they let Lombard go. Rebney said they looked at the Lombard deal and couldn't see a way to make matching it financially viable.

Here's my take, anyway.

http://www.addictedmma.com/story-Blog_9940_The-Friday-Night-Takeaway-Cutting-Your-Nose-Off-T.php

I like your MMA blogs, BH.

Yeah, they're pretty awesome :-p

Seriously though, thanks. I don't get time to do nearly as much of that kind of writing as I'd like these days. I do a weekly news column for The Daily Mirror here in the UK, plus my work with Cage Warriors and Full Contact Contender, which is the UK's biggest ammy show, so my time is stretched. Hopefully I'll get more done this year. Will post it here if I remember :)

Yeah, they're pretty awesome :-p

Seriously though, thanks. I don't get time to do nearly as much of that kind of writing as I'd like these days. I do a weekly news column for The Daily Mirror here in the UK, plus my work with Cage Warriors and Full Contact Contender, which is the UK's biggest ammy show, so my time is stretched. Hopefully I'll get more done this year. Will post it here if I remember :)

Are you still with MMABay?

Are you still with MMABay?

No, not for nearly a year. I write for the Daily Mirror here in the UK, plus a couple of websites like Addicted MMA. I've written for others over the past year (YourMMA, Fight Lounge etc), and done some magazine work.

Most of my MMA time is spent on Cage Warriors and Full Contact Contender nowadays though. Was training for a 'comeback' (lol) after not competing for years, but I fell off a bridge while walking my Doberman in the snow last week (don't ask) and did something nasty to my ankle, so it's back to beer and takeaway food for me for a while :-p

Gonna be doing some judging and commentating this year as well.

Clay Guida strikes again... God I hate that man's style of taking the opponent down and humping his legs. Hioki was robbed imo. Guida got outstruck and couldn't do anything even in the top control!

I've been around MMA in some capacity or other for going on 16 years now. I think that I'm better placed than many to break down fights objectively. Pretty much everything about that fight says that Hioki wins, in my book.

Yet when I put my accumulator bet down on Saturday night, I picked Guida. Not because I thought he was going to beat Hioki, but because I thought the judges would give him the fight.

Still, my accumulator (only a five fight one) came in, so I can't moan too much.

What did you guys think about BJM not taking a point from DJ for the hand down/knee to the head thing?

i say it was good of BJM, alter the rule, it's making the fights worst, fighters chickening out.

I agree with damonster, but I want to add something. I think intent matters. If it was fight-stopping knee, call the fight a NC. If it wasn't, let the fight go on.

In this case, did MM intend to knee a downed opponent? I don't think so. MM is usually quite careful with this. The only time you should dock a point is when they do it intentionally, or when they do it repeatedly.

The only time you should dock a point is when they do it intentionally, or when they do it repeatedly.

What about the damage done by an unintentional illegal blow? Illegal moves are illegal for a reason, after all, and not just illegal if they're unintentional. How many times have we seen a fighter land 2-3 completely unintentional groin shots, and a ref eventually take a point due to the cumulative damage, even though all the shots were clearly accidental? Should that apply here?

Apparently (I've read the book but can't remember myself) in BJM's book he says that you should always take a point in that situation, even though it's gamesmanship. That's what's getting people's backs up.

I think you should always deduct a point for grave situations like this, especially during the Bisping fight, though we all knew it didn't matter one bit. It might be stupid that the fighter needs to pay attention to his surroundings at all times (is his hand on the ground? are my hands closed?), but it's ultimately what's best for the fighters in the long term. Otherwise they should just go back to PRIDE rules.

I didnt mind a point not being deducted; I was expecting one to be though as he'd just kicked Dodson in the nads (unintentionally obviously) - but two illegal blows in the same round (iirc - if not still in the same fight) should probably be worth a point..

What I didnt like was the fact that Big John was basically acting as Might Mouse' eyes in the final round.. he wouldnt have done anywhere near enough damage and kept the position up against the fence had Big John not been telling him when Dodson's hand was down or up.. MM should be paying enough attention to where he's striking without the referee telling him to stop and go every time Dodson touched the mat.. if Big John had kept quiet, one of two things wouldve happened.. a second illegal knee and a certain point off (resulting in a majority draw) or MM losing the position faster than he did.. (and he probably wouldve still won the round but Dodson wouldnt have took as much damage as he did)

at the end of the day it doesnt really matter; the right man won when you view the fight on the whole.. But if I was Dodson I'd be a little pissed as he could quite easily earned a majority draw and not suffered anywhere near as much damage..

What I didnt like was the fact that Big John was basically acting as Might Mouse' eyes in the final round.

I think it was pretty clear that Big John dislikes the way fighters "play the game" to avoid getting kneed in the head and so was doing his bit to... I'm not sure what the correct term would be, but I'll say "make sure" the rules were followed.

Fair play to Dodson in the interviews afterwards... he flat out said he was playing the game and as such he couldn't be upset if he caught an errant knee or two by doing so.

Assuming you don't have x-ray eyes, explain how a fighter sees through his opponent's torso in that position.

If The fighter gets himself in that position where he can't see he takes the risk of his opponent playing the game.. It's a risk/reward situation just like any other position.. It's a wild comparison (that ill fully admit I'm stretching here to prove my point) but its the same risk/reward as swinging for the fences; reward is a big knockout, risk is you're opponent catches you wide open with your guard down.. The risk in the knee situation is that your opponent takes advantage of a stupid rule and you get a point taken..

I think it was pretty clear that Big John dislikes the way fighters "play the game" to avoid getting kneed in the head and so was doing his bit to... I'm not sure what the correct term would be, but I'll say "make sure" the rules were followed.

Fair play to Dodson in the interviews afterwards... he flat out said he was playing the game and as such he couldn't be upset if he caught an errant knee or two by doing so.

I fully accept its a ridiculous rule; but its a rule and so fighters are gonna exploit it.. If the position was reversed MM would no doubt play the game as well.. With the rule in place it's just part of the sport..

My point is Big John has been around long enough to know that he shouldn't really be influencing the fight like that.. Both fighters know the rule.. Whether he agrees with it or not shouldn't matter...

Anyway it's a moot point really; right man won in the end and that's all that really matters..