The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Nate Diaz failed to make weight on the first try, coming in at 157lbs instead of 156lbs, but lost the weight after an hour. But what could be the biggest story come fight time is that Overeem came in at 263lbs, the heaviest of his career. It's possible the extra weight could help Overeem but Frank Mir thought his extra weight would help against Lesnar and Carwin and it did more harm than good. Lesnar came in at 266lbs but could be anything up to 285lbs by fight time, stories vary on what he cut down form, so he'll definitely come into the cage with a serious weight advantage.

I think Overeem might have made a mistake. Overeem isn't going to beat Lesnar with size but with speed and coming in that big, if he's not used to carrying it in a serious fight where he will be pressed, could come back to bite him. I would surmise Overeem isn't worried because he doesn't think the fight will last long enough for stamina to be an issue for either guy, but if Lesnar can drag the fight into the later rounds, and force Overeem to work a lot on his back, it could get ugly for Overeem.

Nate Diaz failed to make weight on the first try, coming in at 157lbs instead of 156lbs, but lost the weight after an hour. But what could be the biggest story come fight time is that Overeem came in at 263lbs, the heaviest of his career. It's possible the extra weight could help Overeem but Frank Mir thought his extra weight would help against Lesnar and Carwin and it did more harm than good. Lesnar came in at 266lbs but could be anything up to 285lbs by fight time, stories vary on what he cut down form, so he'll definitely come into the cage with a serious weight advantage.

I think Overeem might have made a mistake. Overeem isn't going to beat Lesnar with size but with speed and coming in that big, if he's not used to carrying it in a serious fight where he will be pressed, could come back to bite him. I would surmise Overeem isn't worried because he doesn't think the fight will last long enough for stamina to be an issue for either guy, but if Lesnar can drag the fight into the later rounds, and force Overeem to work a lot on his back, it could get ugly for Overeem.

I agree. Brock's pretty fast too. Maybe not quite as mobile as Reem but yea with the extra weight Reem's put on, I agree with you that it could be a serious mistake. He'll sacrifice a bit of his wind and his mobility for sure. How much so? We'll see.

I guess the thought process there is add the extra muscle for takedown defense? I guess we'll find out after the fight one way or the other. I still think while Reem's the better, more refined and complete fighter, Brock's the better freak athlete and should win the fight.

Talk of Fitch fighting Diaz/Condit winner if he wins seems like madness to me. Beating Johnny Hendricks in no way should earn a title shot and I can't think of any fight I want to see less than Fitch vs. Diaz.

I think Ellenberger should be ahead of him if he beats Sanchez, and depending on when GSP is back Ellenberger vs. Fitch will probably make sense anyway.

I'm going to repeat my picks from a few weeks ago:

Overeem, Cerrone, Fitch, Matyushenko, Phan, Pearson, Castillo, Kim, Volkmann, Ramos and Nunes.

I must admit, though, that I'm wavering on picking Overeem over Lesnar. With Overeem going into the fight at, by far, his heaviest weight and the apparent bad mood of Lesnar, in a good way, I'm not so convinced Overeem will win. I still think he will, but I don't think it'll be quite so easy anymore. I would give my odds on what I think the likelihood of each outcome are, but the last time I did something like that the post was quickly deleted without a word.

Talk of Fitch fighting Diaz/Condit winner if he wins seems like madness to me. Beating Johnny Hendricks in no way should earn a title shot and I can't think of any fight I want to see less than Fitch vs. Diaz.

I think Ellenberger should be ahead of him if he beats Sanchez, and depending on when GSP is back Ellenberger vs. Fitch will probably make sense anyway.

In terms of sheer amount of wins, he does deserve a title shot. Logically speaking, he convinces me.

But his fights suck. Bad. And he got his butt kicked by GSP. If matched up against any better MMA wrestler, he's burnt toast.

My thoughts on Overeem/Lesnar is that Overeem should by all rights win the fight. He's a far superior and far more dynamic striker and his mean clinch game means that a badly shot double gets Lesnar pasted with knees or taken down. But then I remember the first few seconds of the Herring fight and am unable to come up with a reason why that wouldn't work on Overeem.

Also the NYE DREAM card will probably be cool because it's got Lion Takeshi and Crusher in imminently winnable fights and there's no risk of Sakuraba getting knocked out. And maybe Kikuno explodes an anime with a crescent kick.

My thoughts on Overeem/Lesnar is that Overeem should by all rights win the fight. He's a far superior and far more dynamic striker and his mean clinch game means that a badly shot double gets Lesnar pasted with knees or taken down. But then I remember the first few seconds of the Herring fight and am unable to come up with a reason why that wouldn't work on Overeem.

Also the NYE DREAM card will probably be cool because it's got Lion Takeshi and Crusher in imminently winnable fights and there's no risk of Sakuraba getting knocked out. And maybe Kikuno explodes an anime with a crescent kick.

If this ends being end being Heath Herring 2.0, I would be surprised. Overeem has been KOed before, so I can't see either guy surviving a serious shot to the head. Unless this fight goes past 2 rounds, someone's going to get KOed/TKOed. If it goes past 2 rounds... it's anyone's decision.

Lensar vs. Overeem: Lesnar TKO 2nd round.

Cerrone vs. Diaz: Cerrone via Decision (probably split).

Fitch vs. Hendricks: Fitch via decision.

Matyushenk vs. Gustafsson: Gustafsson via TKO.

Pearson vs. Asuncao: Hard pick for me here. Pearson via Decision?

Njokuani vs. Castillo: Castillo via Decision.

Hyun Kim vs. Pierson: Kim via Decision.

Volkmann vs. Escudero: Escudero via Decision.

Riddle vs. Ramos: Ramos via Decision.

Gamburyan vs. Nunes: Nunes via Decision.

Lensar vs. Overeem: Lesnar TKO 2nd round.

Cerrone vs. Diaz: Cerrone via Decision (probably split).

Fitch vs. Hendricks: Fitch via decision.

Matyushenk vs. Gustafsson: Gustafsson via TKO.

Pearson vs. Asuncao: Hard pick for me here. Pearson via Decision?

Njokuani vs. Castillo: Castillo via Decision.

Hyun Kim vs. Pierson: Kim via Decision.

Volkmann vs. Escudero: Escudero via Decision.

Riddle vs. Ramos: Ramos via Decision.

Gamburyan vs. Nunes: Nunes via Decision.

you like decisions?

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and is looking forward to the fights tonight!! :)

In related news, Brock is making $400,000 flat for this fight, while Overeem takes home $264,285 (and 71 cents) if he loses, or $385,714.28...it's almost like that's some kind of arbitrary number... :-p

Funny thing (well, not really very funny at all) is, Overeem won't see a cent of that cash. His former management have filed suit in Nevada yesterday over their split, and because Overeem is a non-US resident, they've been able to get the judge to have his pay withheld pending the result of the case.

Gutted! With that said, the lien doesn't affect any non-disclosed pay, which should run into the high-six/low-seven figures.

If this ends being end being Heath Herring 2.0, I would be surprised. Overeem has been KOed before, so I can't see either guy surviving a serious shot to the head. Unless this fight goes past 2 rounds, someone's going to get KOed/TKOed. If it goes past 2 rounds... it's anyone's decision.

Yeah that's what I meant, if Brock lands a hard clean shot I don't think Overeem's going to survive the ensuing gorilla onslaught.

so hoping overated loses. If lesnar wins we will see if JDS can stop a powerful takedown. if overated wins we see if JDS can take a punch.

JDS has taken some good shots already. My concern is what's he going to do about leg kicks. If Overeem wins against Lesnar and gets the next shot against JDS, he's going to employ leg kicks. Boxers hate those.

JDS would get up even if Brock took him down. The thing with Overeem is he may find that less easy due to his own size.

And you know this how? We've rarely seen JDS taken down in the first place. And this is guy picking JDS over Lesnar if they ever fight.

Hendrix just KOed Fitch!!! Hendrix just KOed Fitch!!!