The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

I can understand it in theory...nobody wants to grapple a Cecar Gracie brown belt. But when you're getting absolutely mauled on the feet...at least go for broke and try something. 'Boring' or not, if Cerrone was my fighter I'd have been all over him for not taking top position on Diaz when he had the chance after getting broken up on the feet.

I think it had more to do with the fact that his belief that he was better striker got to him. Obviously, Nate's boxing is top notch. And was practically boxing with Nate for most of the fight. Not smart.

LOL at KOI and GG not coming up with the $200,000 bond in time for the lien on Overeem's wages to become active. Oops!

No idea why they had a problem coming up with the money. They're now apparently going to try a similar thing with his PPV bonus. If this gets messy in court, Overeem's side will look to spin this as 'GG/KOI are only perusing this because they're broke and desperate, they couldn't even come up with a bond".

I know that GG/KOI are owed a TON of money right now (and they just lost their most valuable asset)...hopefully times aren't that bad though.

I think it had more to do with the fact that his belief that he was better striker got to him.

There's no way that he thought he was the better striker in the break between the second and third rounds.

He's said himself that he stayed on the feet to put on an exciting fight. Fair play to him, he got his FOTN bonus....but if he has any illusions of fighting for a title, he'll need to learn to adapt when things aren't going his way.

Rolles Gracie vs Bob Sapp at ONE FC.

Can someone tell me why? And don't say it's because he's popular in Japan because A) This isn't in Japan and B) He isn't any more.

Seriously, how is this guy still getting people to pay him to fight? I know a couple of guys personally that are the same size or nearly as big as Sapp, who would put on a much more exciting and competitive bout against Rolles than Sapp for much, much less money.

There's no way that he thought he was the better striker in the break between the second and third rounds.

He's said himself that he stayed on the feet to put on an exciting fight. Fair play to him, he got his FOTN bonus....but if he has any illusions of fighting for a title, he'll need to learn to adapt when things aren't going his way.

Like I said before (or was this another board?), Cerrone let his emotions get to him. It's not that think he shouldn't stand with him, it's that, he let Diaz turn it into a boxing match. Cerrone's advantage is in kickboxing, and therefore, he needed to more kicks (which he did in the second round). He inexplicably starts to less in the third round.

Not that I think he could have won the fight. It's just that he had a hard time adjusting, and it was quite clear his boxing game wasn't anywhere near Nate's.

I'm only on the TV box!

...looking ever so slightly overdressed next to my fellow journo Dre and spoken word artist/rapper/poet/MMA nut Scroobious Pip.

Very surreal, sat in a TV studio. Lots of fun though, and hopefully the show takes off and generates a bit of interest in the sport here in the UK. Share please!! :)

what's everyone's end of the year mma awards?

Mine:

Fighter of the year-Jon Jones, 4-0 with 3 title victories.

Fight of the year- Hendo vs. Sogun, have yet to see it but ear it's really good.

KO of the year- Kongo vs. Barry, one of my favourite KOs. The Silva-Belfort and Machida-Couture ones were good but the Kongo one made me ceamoh s***.

Submission of the year- Mir vs. Big Nog, just the fact that Mir submited Nog is special but being the first one and snapping his arm makes it that much better.

Story of the year- Fox and UFC deal, would have been the buying of strikeforce but the fox and ufc deal was bigger and will be making impact for 7 years!

Beatdown of the year-Dunno guess I will go with Jones vs. Shogun

Breakthrough fighter of the year- Donald Cerrone, even though he lost to Diaz he still made a huge impact, something many never were able to do.

Event of the year- UFC 129, could be that it was 2 hours away from my house, but I loved this event.

Round of the year- Kongo vs. Barry, same reason as KO of the year.

Upset of the year- Ortiz vs. Bader, a guy who was expected to lose and be released beat a fighter with only one lost, which that was against Jones.

Idiot of the year- Cecil People, given. Runner up- Jacob Volkmann, check out his UFC 141 ost-fight interview.

Fighter of the Year: Bon "Jones" Bones for the obvious reasons.

Fight of the Year: In a vacuum it's Alvarez/Chandler but watching Henderson cap off 2011 by punching Shogun's head clean through the canvas several times for three rounds and then survive the proceeding two was thrilling.

Knockout of the Year: Machida's crane kick wins for style points, Nogueira wins for tugging heart strings. Chan-Sung Jung's six second KO over Hominick deserves mention too given how startling it was.

Submission of the Year: Frank Mir will always be fun to watch because of how spectacularly he either implodes or explodes. Probably the scariest guy in the UFC if he manages to grab hold of one of your limbs.

Breakthrough Fighter of the Year: Michael Chandler. Went from a complete nobody to an undefeated champion who took out Eddie Alvarez in a classic. Watching him get savaged in the third round and surviving, then becoming Wolverine and tapping Alvarez out was really awesome.

Comeback Fighter of the Year: Dan Henderson. It had already started in 2010 against Babalu but he's had an absolutely fabulous streak this year in three consecutive underdog fights.

Round of the Year: Round 2 of Diaz/Daley. Absolutely nuts.

Event of the Year: UFC 139. This is purely for personal reasons because Hendo rules and hearing Rogan shout "NO!!!!!" when Wanderlei stopped Cung Le made me laugh so hard.

Something not cool I found out today - Bellator are talking to TNA about using one or two of their wrestlers in MMA fights.

You gotta be ****ing kidding me. Unless it's Kurt Angle, I can't see how this will even remotely work out. Bellator and TNA both will end embarassing themselves somehow. This can't be true.

You gotta be ****ing kidding me. Unless it's Kurt Angle, I can't see how this will even remotely work out. Bellator and TNA both will end embarassing themselves somehow. This can't be true.

Kurt Angle wouldn't work out either. He might get some publicity, which itself is a questionable prospect considering there has been absolutely no reaction in the amateur world to his continued claims of making the Olympic team for this years games and nobody in the regular media talks about it unless Kurt is giving an interview and he brings it up. And as for an actual fight, don't let his past achievements in amateur wrestling fool you; Angle would get slaughtered by just about any half-decent fighter. The man is a physical wreck who is 16-years removed from competition. Former gold medalist or not, there is too much for Angle to deal with for any fight he is involved in to be anything other than an embarrassment on all levels.

Kurt Angle wouldn't work out either. He might get some publicity, which itself is a questionable prospect considering there has been absolutely no reaction in the amateur world to his continued claims of making the Olympic team for this years games and nobody in the regular media talks about it unless Kurt is giving an interview and he brings it up. And as for an actual fight, don't let his past achievements in amateur wrestling fool you; Angle would get slaughtered by just about any half-decent fighter. The man is a physical wreck who is 16-years removed from competition. Former gold medalist or not, there is too much for Angle to deal with for any fight he is involved in to be anything other than an embarrassment on all levels.

I agree, but at least Kurt Angle has SOME, no matter how small, legimitate claim on the *surface*. You can't deny that, at least. Not that I think he should do it or has a chance against a top guy, but at least on paper, there's something for him. Not the other guys, though. They would all get smashed.

What would Bellator benefit from doing this? If their fighter loses, he's just lost to a PRO WRESTLER. If the fighter wins, he just beat a PRO WRESTLER.

100% serious. If ADULTS want to make a conscious decision to take steroids and push the limits of human potential, I'm in.

Maybe not 100% serious... maybe... like...85% serious.

Look at the pro-wrestling world, I'm not to sure that's a good idea for anyone. Tons of broken bodies... no one is willing to take care of.

Look at the pro-wrestling world, I'm not to sure that's a good idea for anyone. Tons of broken bodies... no one is willing to take care of.

Wrestling's bad health is NOT 100% steroid related. They are generally not the most mentally mature people going into that business. They live a life where their jobs are insanely high on travel. Their "Friends" are chosen from a relatively small group of people they are forced to travel with.

Take a job where you never see people you like, throw in a bunch of people you hate, then toss in TONS of alcohol and hard drug usage. And STEROIDS are to blame?

Even so, when did Ampulator or Big T become the police of the sports world. Let grown ups do what they want.

NOW, should a PED using fighter be allowed to fight people who don't? Probably not. Which is why I say allow a division where PEDs are totally legal. Oh wait... thats the NFL.