The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Sonnen vs. Bisping

The question i would have is just how much has Bisping worked on his takedown defense during his training camp for Maia, because i reckon not a great deal. Certainly not to the level that he would if he knew he was fighting Sonnen 10 weeks ago. The majority of Bisping's defensive work, i would imagine would've been from the clinch where Maia is excellent at getting takedowns.. I don't think Bisping would've been to worried about Maia shooting from distance like Sonnen will look to do.

Ideally, i don't think this is a fight that Bisping would welcome at such short notice tbh, but i guess you can't pass this sort of an opportunity up.

yeah, but EA sports had a different engine.

speak of the game, some career mode info. http://www.ufcundisputed.com/go/thread/view/136085/28850681/Career_Mode_Info!

Been looking forward to finding out more on the career mode, the terrible stat decay feature ruined Undisputed 2010 career mode imo.

I would've liked to have seen them put in the WEC instead of the WFA though.

Indeed. It feld retarded to wait until the very end to level up your other stats past 70, because doing it earlier would just result in a loss of efficiency. Not that it mattered, as nobody online seemed to play with CaF's anyway, but you'd not have the beast of a guy everyone desperately craves. At least this one here. :p

On topic: The SF HW GP has been a disaster so far, and, well... It's gotten worse. Just points out that, unlike the relative success of bellator, the time of tournaments in MMA is over. It's not marketable anymore, it's pointless as a 'side attraction', and it's just awful to see it stretched out over such a long timeframe. Horrifying.

Indeed. It feld retarded to wait until the very end to level up your other stats past 70, because doing it earlier would just result in a loss of efficiency. Not that it mattered, as nobody online seemed to play with CaF's anyway, but you'd not have the beast of a guy everyone desperately craves. At least this one here. :p

On topic: The SF HW GP has been a disaster so far, and, well... It's gotten worse. Just points out that, unlike the relative success of bellator, the time of tournaments in MMA is over. It's not marketable anymore, it's pointless as a 'side attraction', and it's just awful to see it stretched out over such a long timeframe. Horrifying.

I think you are wrong on "tournaments". The problem is, the SF Tournament was gutted by factors outside of their control. It doesn't reflect on the tournament concept as a whole. Bellator's tournament concept works out pretty good.

Been looking forward to finding out more on the career mode, the terrible stat decay feature ruined Undisputed 2010 career mode imo.

I would've liked to have seen them put in the WEC instead of the WFA though.

One of the producers said that wec is in, but I think he only meant the fighters.

Edit: weidman in against Maia.

That's the flaw of the whole tournament structure. The events might be all 'beyond their control', but reality dictates bad things could happen in MMA. Looking back to the tournament, you can't but rate it as awkward and unnessesary. There is no extra 'flair' to holding a tournament, and it doesn't mean anything if people are taking someone else's place. It makes no sense. They'd be much better off if it wasn't a tournament at all but a collection of singles matches.

That's the flaw of the whole tournament structure. The events might be all 'beyond their control', but reality dictates bad things could happen in MMA. Looking back to the tournament, you can't but rate it as awkward and unnessesary. There is no extra 'flair' to holding a tournament, and it doesn't mean anything if people are taking someone else's place. It makes no sense. They'd be much better off if it wasn't a tournament at all but a collection of singles matches.

But look at Bellator. Reality DOES dictate what happens... they just try to structure as best they can around it.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. If you don't try, you already failed. If you try, at least you might have the chance to succeed.

Went to a special premier screening of Haywire in London last night. It was....not great. Well, the evening was great, the film...not so much.

It's got some good fight scenes - they're very MMA-influenced, but they got the balance just right between realistic and visually entertaining. The story wasn't great. It's being sold as a spy thriller, so you're expecting twists and turns that unfortunately never come.

The cast was great - Douglass, Fassbender, McGregor, Banderes...trouble was there wasn't a whole lot for them to do. Carano, considering that this is her first film roll, did great.

Overall there are some funny moments, quality fights and a couple of cheeky nods to MMA that you'd only get if you're a fan. Look out for the triangle choke bit in the hotel room, it had everyone laughing.

Overall I'd give the film two Barboza spinning hook kicks out of five.

UFC pays bottom card fighters way better than Top Rank pays bottom card boxers. Bottom card boxers certainly do not get $6000 just to show up.

True. In fairness though, these guys that make a couple of hundred a fight are not pro fighters in the same way that a guy making six and six in the UFC is a pro fighter. Plus most of them fight every other weekend, lol.

UFC also publishes what they pay fighters, whereas most boxing promoters do not.

This is incorrect. The UFC doesn't publish the information, it is released by the state athletic commission as is it a matter of public record. You can call the NSAC and ask for the info, for example. If you trawl through wikipedia (not today, lol) you can figure out which states do and don't release fighter pay. The UFC doesn't, off the top of my head, release fighter pay in states where it isn't required to do so, or when it holds events overseas.

In the US, the same rules apply to boxing promoters as MMA promoters with regards to publishing fighter pay.

Yet there are guys who can fight 4 or 5 timees a year on PPV and barely make $40k.

I think even if you make your debut and lose three consecutive fights, you'd clear $40k in the UFC. $18k for your three 'show' purses, then you almost double that with sponsorships. So that's So you're looking at between $32-36k there. Then discretionary bonuses that are given out at each card.

Sure you can make additional money from sponsors but that's not going to be significant money for most guys unless they are on the main card of a PPV.

Main card of TV is even better - more eyeballs. If you're guaranteed to on TV (which is nearly everyone these days) you can double your pay. Even if you're not, you're looking at 50-75%. If you're on a Facebook prelim, most sponsors will have a deal whereby you get an additional sum if your fight is then aired again on the main card.

The reality is that the situation of the UFC isn't directly comparable to that of the big team sports nor even that of boxing. In boxing, you don't have one dominant promotion who does 2-3 events per month that are broadcast internationally in some format.

This is exactly it. Comparing the UFC to the NFL is absolutely nuts.

RE: Fighter pay - This is a must read. Sean McCorkle giving the real story of how pay works for 'low level' UFC fighters.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/378493/Three-time-UFC-vet-gives-the-inside-story-on-UFC-pay/

i was going to bring it up, i loved that article receving 150% more then they were obligated to, wow that's a lot, plus of the night awards.

IMO the pay is average for some of the fighters, you could get payed $40,000 a year working at a fast food joint or get $40,000 a year doing something you love. Anyways if you make the UFC but get cut after two fights you shouldn't be complaining about having to work a full time job as well as fighting on undercards, your not as good as you think then.

Finally got a twitter account to keep up with some MMA personalities. Got Dana White, Chael Sonnen (face it, he's just funny), Wanderlei, and also Rousey, where twitter prompty suggested Tate as a follow, like they're basically one package. Classic.

Any other MMA tweeters that are worth it?

I guess your haywire comments are basically what I was expecting. Good action, but a bad plot. Oh well. I'll go and see it anyway.

Any other MMA tweeters that are worth it?

Yes. Me. @MMABayBrad.

Seriously though, off the top of my head @FrontRowBrian is a good guy for cheeky rumours/news, Dan Henderson is actually pretty runny sometimes too.

I guess your haywire comments are basically what I was expecting. Good action, but a bad plot. Oh well. I'll go and see it anyway.

It's not really a *bad* plot...it's just kinda...not really there. With the cast and director, you would expect more, put it that way. If you turn your brain off at the door though you'll enjoy it.

Yea I'm a film buff. But a pure action movie from Soderburg doesn't sound like a bad thing to me. Most of what I heard is that my expectations of a pure action film -nothing more, nothing less- is reasonable.

My full review is here if anyone is interested...

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2012/01/19/mmabay-film-review-haywire-staring-gina-carano/

I'll give it a read. Added your suggestions (forrest, hendo, you), but it better be interesting. I will also never use my twitter to post something, as I presume nobody is interested in what I have to say, nor do I have a sudden desire to share this with others. Facebook is more open about this, I post all my crap there, funny thing is that more serious stuff gets little to no reaction over there. You expect twitter content to actually have some value. But enough about that.

I'm already delighted for adding Sonnen. Apparently he has chosen to trashtalk Bisping anyway, despite the respect from his part. On that note, I'm almost sorry for adding Tate, who seems quite uninteresting actually, talking about dogs and cakes, two things I actually loathe. I'll just keep her for the interaction with Rousey I guess.

I noticed UFC is definately upping its event schedule for 2012, already planning 4 or 5 events in one month, which is, obviously, a good thing. You really need the fights as a promotion. If I were them I'd continue to invest in the young talent. The younger an established star, the longer he'll last. By ther time people are respected nowadays, they're almost retiring. Strikeforce however keeps falling back on one event every month (and so far they're behind on schedule).

I'll give it a read. Added your suggestions (forrest, hendo, you), but it better be interesting.

Lol, I'll do my best :-p I'm going to a super secret UFC Undisputed 3 event tomorrow, so I'll be tweeting lots of good stuff from there no doubt ;)

I noticed UFC is definately upping its event schedule for 2012, already planning 4 or 5 events in one month, which is, obviously, a good thing.

I think going back to last weekend's card, it's something like seven events in the space of eight weeks!!

Crazy BAMMA rumours at the moment.

Rumour 1: They have been bought by Viacom or Bellator. They've denied this, but I've seen 'evidence' to say it's both true and untrue. David Green, the CEO of Giant TV (the company that effectively) runs BAMMA is best buddies with the guy who runs Spike...so who knows.

Rumour 2: They have once again lured Tom Watson back into the fold, possibly to fight Jimmy Wallhead. Not sure I believe this to be honest, but again, who knows.

Stupid rumour: Fedor will fight on the next BAMMA. Not even gonna comment.

My guesses: Neil Grove will fight at BAMMA 9. Jimmy Wallhead will fight Yoshida at WW or Jack Marshman at MW. Jack Marshman will get a tougher fight at this event either way. Andre Winner will fight Rob Sinclair for the LW title.

EDIT: Just been told that Jack is fighting Andrew Punshon. Great fight.

EDIT 2: Aaand it's all change again - Punshon is now facing Matt Howard, an even better fight IMO. Howard vs Marshman...now that'd have been sick.