The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

So. UFC on FX. Thoughts?

Personally, I actually agreed with the judges in the Guida fight. The first couple of rounds he was fighting to an excellent gameplan. The last three rounds he stopped fighting and just ran - it wasn't like the Condit/Diaz fight where Condit spent the vast majority of the fight moving backwards, but kept landing counterstrikes, Guida was just running.

Was a pretty good card overall, I felt. Only real downside for me was the nut-hugging that Cub Swanson got from the usually excellent Florian and Anik in the Pearson fight.

I also thought that maybe the stoppage in that fight was a little premature, but I can understand why the ref stopped it - he did fall kind of awkwardly, but it wasn't like he was flat on his back with his arms in the air. Much like the Ellenberger decision a couple of weeks back, it's not a terrible call by any means, but would have liked to have seen the ref maybe just give the fighter another second or two to at least have a chance to defend himself.

I think Dave Doyle said it best-Clay Guida took Frankie Edgar's gameplan, but his camp decided it was good idea to throw out the part where he had to engage for the fight. Hell, even te ref had enough of by the fifth round-he warning to Clay Guida for not engaging.

Yup, pretty much. I just don't understand why Guida wasn't throwing anything - it wasn't like Maynard was landing counterstrikes every time Guida threw something.

I'm noticing a lot of folks are comparing it to Condit/Diaz, but I don't agree at all - even though Condit was moving backwards for most of the fight, he was landing counterstrikes almost the entire time - Diaz would march forwards, Condit would circle away and flick out a jab to keep Diaz from pinning him against the cage. Guida wasn't doing that - he was just standing in front of Maynard and bouncing up and down in that unique way of his. Admittedly it made it very difficult for Maynard to hit him, but with nothing coming back (after the second round, anyway), I don't see how the judges could have scored it any other way.

Oh, and in other news - congrats to ESPN UK for ONCE AGAIN failing to allow for enough time in the scheduled broadcast, so my recording cut off at the end of the third round and I had to find a... 'less legal' stream in order to see the conclusion. That's at least four times that's happened since the turn of the year. I'm praying so hard that Sky pick up the broadcast rights when the ESPN deal finishes in August.

Oh, and in other news - congrats to ESPN UK for ONCE AGAIN failing to allow for enough time in the scheduled broadcast, so my recording cut off at the end of the third round and I had to find a... 'less legal' stream in order to see the conclusion. That's at least four times that's happened since the turn of the year. I'm praying so hard that Sky pick up the broadcast rights when the ESPN deal finishes in August.

you should know by now to go pass the time period.

i'm hearing a lot of talk about fisher beating stout, imo that's bs. Stout was controlling on the ground, landing good shots. Fisher had the advantage in the 1st round in striking, the other two rounds were close.

Yup, pretty much. I just don't understand why Guida wasn't throwing anything - it wasn't like Maynard was landing counterstrikes every time Guida threw something.

I'm noticing a lot of folks are comparing it to Condit/Diaz, but I don't agree at all - even though Condit was moving backwards for most of the fight, he was landing counterstrikes almost the entire time - Diaz would march forwards, Condit would circle away and flick out a jab to keep Diaz from pinning him against the cage. Guida wasn't doing that - he was just standing in front of Maynard and bouncing up and down in that unique way of his. Admittedly it made it very difficult for Maynard to hit him, but with nothing coming back (after the second round, anyway), I don't see how the judges could have scored it any other way.

I think he was following his camp's gameplan, to be honest. This isn't the only fighter in Guida's camp that does this.

you should know by now to go pass the time period.

Yeah, it's my mistake, I usually set the Sky+ box to record the program after as well, and I forgot this time. Still, it doesn't excuse the fact that this kind of thing seems to happen more often than not, and I know that they've got heat from fans about it in the past. The only reason I subscribe to ESPN is for the UFC, so when their poor scheduling results in me missing the ends of live events, it kind of makes me wonder why I even bother with it.

So. UFC on FX. Thoughts?

Personally, I actually agreed with the judges in the Guida fight. The first couple of rounds he was fighting to an excellent gameplan. The last three rounds he stopped fighting and just ran - it wasn't like the Condit/Diaz fight where Condit spent the vast majority of the fight moving backwards, but kept landing counterstrikes, Guida was just running.

I've never been one to complain about fights that are perceived to be boring / slow paced, or fights that are controlled via so called lay & pray / stalling as you have to understand & accept as an MMA fan that sometimes styles do not match up well & sometimes fighters find away to be able to do just enough to get the W whether it's exciting or not. That's all apart of the sport so i personally hate when people complain about those things when you know what your getting yourself into when you watch this sport. However last night was really the first time that i've ever felt frustrated & annoyed whilst watching MMA! I think the amount of heat Clay & his team are getting is unfair & smacks of the 'you’re only as good as your last fight' / 'what have you done for me lately?' fanbase, however last night Guida fought a terrible fight & absolutely deserved to lose that fight, even if you could make an argument that he actually didn't.

Agree with you on the Condit thing. It's pretty much only hardcore Diaz fans that complained about it in the first place but yeah i thought Condit fought an excellent fight that night, & i personally love when MMA fights become so technical that it's almost like a chess match at times. Guida/Maynard had the potential to turn into that type of fight but as the fight wore on Guida resorted to just running more & more.

The only reason I subscribe to ESPN is for the UFC, so when their poor scheduling results in me missing the ends of live events, it kind of makes me wonder why I even bother with it.

Whilst i have no knowledge of the FX schedule in the States, i would assume that they were running from 9PM to 11PM ET & therefore also ran over. They had 3 fights go the distance, one of which being a 5 rounder, they didn't have any post-fight interviews with Stout, Ebersole or even Guida which they usually do when it's a main event, & when you add in the amount of commercials on these shows it's no wonder it ran over so there's really nobody at fault on this issue.

However ESPN are running the event again tonight before UFC 147 so you will be able to catch it again if you wish to do so.

Whilst i have no knowledge of the FX schedule in the States, i would assume that they were running from 9PM to 11PM ET & therefore also ran over. They had 3 fights go the distance, one of which being a 5 rounder, they didn't have any post-fight interviews with Stout, Ebersole or even Guida which they usually do when it's a main event, & when you add in the amount of commercials on these shows it's no wonder it ran over so there's really nobody at fault on this issue.

However ESPN are running the event again tonight before UFC 147 so you will be able to catch it again if you wish to do so.

Yeah, I did notice that some folks on Twitter were also saying it overran a fair bit in the US as well, so perhaps that's part of the reason this time. Still, if you're showing a live event in the wee small hours of the morning, surely it doesn't hurt to add half an hour to the window just as insurance, bearing in mind the very large number of folks who are likely to be recording it - if it finishes early, then just run some filler - lord knows ESPN are good at that. :D

Yeah, it's my mistake, I usually set the Sky+ box to record the program after as well, and I forgot this time. Still, it doesn't excuse the fact that this kind of thing seems to happen more often than not, and I know that they've got heat from fans about it in the past. The only reason I subscribe to ESPN is for the UFC, so when their poor scheduling results in me missing the ends of live events, it kind of makes me wonder why I even bother with it.

thing is though, it's not only espn, sportsnet in canada has sometimes had it go past the time period, like last night the third round was still going when it turned 11:00.

So. UFC on FX. Thoughts?

Was a pretty good card overall, I felt. Only real downside for me was the nut-hugging that Cub Swanson got from the usually excellent Florian and Anik in the Pearson fight.

I also thought that maybe the stoppage in that fight was a little premature, but I can understand why the ref stopped it - he did fall kind of awkwardly, but it wasn't like he was flat on his back with his arms in the air. Much like the Ellenberger decision a couple of weeks back, it's not a terrible call by any means, but would have liked to have seen the ref maybe just give the fighter another second or two to at least have a chance to defend himself.

He never won a round of that fight... nobody did. 50-50 is the only card I will accept from that fight, point blank. If Gray Maynard wanted to win that fight, he could have cut off the cage instead of windmilling at a guy that is 40 ft away from you. Box him against the cage, close distance, put him on his back, choke him out. If Tristan Yunker could do it, so can you. When did Gray Maynard fancy himself to be the next Chuck Liddell?

Yea dude that fight was a black hole at 155. What happens now? Maynard didn't really do anything that made me scream "get this man up the ladder!" and Guida didn't do anything really at all. Made both fighters look like crap really if you ask me. Oh well, more room for "Showtime" :-)

http://www.mmaweekly.com/michael-bisping-asks-if-everyone-else-gets-rematches-why-not-him

Why does everyone else get rematches and not you, Bisping? Because you're a whiny bitch and you fall flat on every big fight they've given you.

I mean seriously, there is a huge difference between the wars we saw with Edgar and Henderson,BJ, & Maynard, Machida/Rua, etc. and him barely fighting fighting Sonnen to a UD??

Seriously am I completely off base here? The fight was close, I'll give him that at least, but in no way did Bisping do enough to STILL be complaining about it at this point.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/michael-bisping-asks-if-everyone-else-gets-rematches-why-not-him

Why does everyone else get rematches and not you, Bisping? Because you're a whiny bitch and you fall flat on every big fight they've given you.

I mean seriously, there is a huge difference between the wars we saw with Edgar and Henderson,BJ, & Maynard, Machida/Rua, etc. and him barely fighting fighting Sonnen to a UD??

Seriously am I completely off base here? The fight was close, I'll give him that at least, but in no way did Bisping do enough to STILL be complaining about it at this point.

To be fair, what he's saying isn't wrong. Frankie Edgar clearly lost to Ben Henderson - I'm a huge Frankie fan, but even I couldn't give him that fight. On the other hand, I thought Bisping won against Chael. Just because it wasn't an exciting fight doesn't mean that he shouldn't get a rematch if the opportunity comes up.

As for falling flat on every big fight, to be fair to the guy, the only fights he's lost are a split decision to Rashad (at LHW), that one-punch KO from Dan Henderson, Wandy (another close decision) and Chael. If the only guys that have ever clearly beaten you are all ex-champions (Chael notwithstanding, obviously), that's not quite falling flat. The only one of those guys that legitimately blew him away was Dan Henderson, and there's not too much shame in getting pasted by Hendo's big overhand right.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of Bisping's attitude and general demeanour, and I don't think he gets anywhere near Anderson Silva, but you can't begrudge him trying to get a rematch in a fight he (and quite a few others) feels he won and that would have allowed him to fight for the title.

Those guys you mentioned as his losses... ARE his big fights. But you are right, I should respect Bisping more. The guy's a good fighter. I was just ina cranky mood this morning when I read that. He's a definite top 10 guy but he hasn't beaten the quality of opponent to be in title contention in my opinion. Not right now. And I don't think he won the Chael Fight. I don't want to argue about an old fight, so I'll sum up my thoughts fairly by saying neither guy really did enough in that fight to complain one way or the other.

Oh yeah, I do agree that he's yet to beat a real marquee name, but the margins by which he's losing fights against genuine top-5 fighters tend to make me think that it's more because the MW division in recent years hasn't really had many big names for him to fight than because he's avoiding them or isn't considered worthy of fighting them - you've got your Dan Millers and Jorge Riveras, and then you have your Wandys and your Dan Hendersons, and until recently, not an awful lot inbetween.

Thankfully, that seems to be sorting itself a little now, with guys like Brian Stann, Tim Boetsch, Yushin Okami and so on starting to fill out that 'mid-card' area - guys who are good enough to put away most of the division, but come up short against the elite fighters.

Personally, I'd like to see Bisping fight Rich Franklin next, but I don't see it happening. Rich will need quite a while off after that Wandy fight, and Bisping needs to fight sooner than that, likely against Brian Stann.