The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Look, I'm an obvious fan of Edgar's. I simply adore his fights so putting him in another main event so soon makes me happy. Yet I agree with you guys that Frankie is not the rightful number 1 contender at 145. I just want to stress this is a replacement fight and IMO the best option they have.

I remind you guys of the MMA community rage when 151 got cancelled. Now this is a situation where both guys stepped up to make a quality main event fight and it's still seemingly not good enough.

Almost feels like one needs to get off a big horse to adress people uttering childish remarks and making ridiculous assumptions. My point, which you seem to have missed, was that your post was disrespectful.

The only childish one here is you, who felt like he had to pop his collar in the smuggest way possible. Hyperbole: Look it up.

That is a fact. They're handing out title shots to losers. You might see the bigger picture, as Edgar obviously is a very talented guy, but lots of casual mma fans don't think like you do.

The day casual fans get to make fights is the day the sport dies. Fans don't book schedules in the NFL, do they?

The only childish one here is you, who felt like he had to pop his collar in the smuggest way possible. Hyperbole: Look it up.

The day casual fans get to make fights is the day the sport dies. Fans don't book schedules in the NFL, do they?

Giving it a name doesn't take away from the tone of the message. The tone of my messages is not smug by any means. If you suck at interpreting text message, just don't try it. I'm not the one with the issue here, apart from issues with your obvious lack of respect. But I digress, as I only seem to be feeding your frenzy.

And "casual fans don't make fights"? Are you for real? In several instances, I - as a casual fan - could think of better matchups from a competitive sports viewpoint. You should realize casual fans make up a huge chunk of the audience, and therefore play a huge part in the profits that are to be had. UFC should imo always bias the matchups towards popularity. Most of the cards have maincard matchups that interest the hardcore fans much more than the main event, so they'll still purchase it. It's not like they don't care if there's a "mismatch".

But if Edgar does drop down to flyweight and wins the title immediately in decisive fashion, where does that leave the division? We could potentially have Aldo, the guy who is seemingly unbeatable at that weight, lose and Edgar as 145's own Jon Jones. It's already been documented that it's a young division that's still trying to develop its fighters, so I think Edgar having a tune up fight first and then going at the belt is a better plan.

That said, he is a replacement fighter, so this point is pretty much moot.

Frankie Edgar is the absolute right choice. Lets ask it another way. If Chael Sonnen had dropped out of the second Anderson Silva fight, who would you rather have took the spot? Chris Weidmann, or Rashad Evans dropping down to Middleweight despite getting dominated by Jon Jones?

It's going to make more money, sure, but from an athletic perspective you also have to consider it and, yeah he's dropped two fights but he's also been on a great run. Not to mention Dana White, the fans and their mothers have been calling for him to fight at featherweight for what feels like an age. It's not like we're picking a random guy to drop down. Edgar is popular and people in various parts of the industry feel he'll do well. That outweighs winning streaks 9 times out of 10.

Giving it a name doesn't take away from the tone of the message. The tone of my messages is not smug by any means. If you suck at interpreting text message, just don't try it. I'm not the one with the issue here, apart from issues with your obvious lack of respect. But I digress, as I only seem to be feeding your frenzy.

Irony... :)

Irony... :)

Look, just don't get fed up about such a small issue. :p

I'm not going to do a lexical analysis on every sentense here. Most people who read the context will know what you mean, but given the fact that I don't know you and there are no smileys and such who express your mentality I'm just going on facts and interpret the words literaly by standard. It's a fact that people who post messages of the sort are behaving like childs, but if you were just joking, I obviously don't have an issue with it. There's just no way of knowing that. Instead of saying "I'm ironic", you just start hurling more negativity. Normally I'm not a "moral knight", but I don't like negativity on internet forums. It always sticks around for a long time.

But obviously I'm coming over as the bully here for some reason so I'll stop right here.

Kurt Angle is announcing for World Series of Fighting. What the hell? Let's see how it goes. We know damn well the guy can talk. I just think he's a little batty at this point. Still tho, Micheal Schiavello and Bas Rutten is my fav MMA commentary team (if you could throw Mauro in there for the three-man I'd be a very happy boy) so I'm happy either way :-)

BTW My dream would be Schiavello on pbp and Rogan doing color. Soooo much screaming it would be awesome.

Kurt Angle is announcing for World Series of Fighting. What the hell? Let's see how it goes. We know damn well the guy can talk. I just think he's a little batty at this point. Still tho, Micheal Schiavello and Bas Rutten is my fav MMA commentary team (if you could throw Mauro in there for the three-man I'd be a very happy boy) so I'm happy either way :-)

BTW My dream would be Schiavello on pbp and Rogan doing color. Soooo much screaming it would be awesome.

I don't particularly mind someone *like* Angle in the booth as a third man, although I'm not a fan of three-man booths in MMA. UFC used to get it right when they occasionally had someone like Couture pop in for one fight, but otherwise it's too crowded for me. Angle chiming in on the wrestling side of things could be ok...but as far as I'm aware the guy is delusional as far as MMA goes. I remember reading an interview with him years ago when Liddell was on top, saying that he's simply ankle-pick him and the fight would be over.

If he *ever* starts talking about what he'd do in there, or what he could do in there, I fully endorse Bas choking him out like on air.

Best MMA commentary team for me will always be Quadros and Rutten in the 90's/00's. I guess that's probably a case of what you grew up with always being the best in your eyes. Mauro has come on a lot though, and for all the stick they get (because it's cool to hate the UFC), Goldy and Rogan are the best in the business right now. Having started commentating on fights myself recently, I've got a new found respect for what they do.

I don't particularly mind someone *like* Angle in the booth as a third man, although I'm not a fan of three-man booths in MMA. UFC used to get it right when they occasionally had someone like Couture pop in for one fight, but otherwise it's too crowded for me. Angle chiming in on the wrestling side of things could be ok...but as far as I'm aware the guy is delusional as far as MMA goes. I remember reading an interview with him years ago when Liddell was on top, saying that he's simply ankle-pick him and the fight would be over.

If he *ever* starts talking about what he'd do in there, or what he could do in there, I fully endorse Bas choking him out like on air.

Best MMA commentary team for me will always be Quadros and Rutten in the 90's/00's. I guess that's probably a case of what you grew up with always being the best in your eyes. Mauro has come on a lot though, and for all the stick they get (because it's cool to hate the UFC), Goldy and Rogan are the best in the business right now. Having started commentating on fights myself recently, I've got a new found respect for what they do.

The way I see it: he can't be any worse than Don Frye at Shark Fights...

I think the only time I've ever witnessed 3-man commentating was in that new Invicta promotion. It works out I guess. Having King Mo as a second colour commentator is funny though. Clearly he still needs to grow into the job. But as long as they're doing a decent show to comment on what's going on - which isn't THAT hard as a professional practitioner - they're doing fine in my book.

Wash your mouth out, Don Frye on the mic can do no wrong!! :D

Was that the show where he was talking about getting into a fist fight with his wife when he came home drunk? I love Don Frye.

The very same... here's a taste of Don Frye, just imagine this lubed up with a hot mic and no oversight...

The very same... here's a taste of Don Frye, just imagine this lubed up with a hot mic and no oversight...

From the legendary 'Dear Don' column.

Ken Shamrock: I heard a rumour that you copied your moustache from Freddy Mercury...is that true Don?

Don Frye: I heard that you lost your virginity to Freddy Mercury. But I defended you. I said no...Ken Shamrock lost his virginity to a man waaaay before he started dating Freddy Mercury.

Don Frye wins the internet.

From the legendary 'Dear Don' column.

Ken Shamrock: I heard a rumour that you copied your moustache from Freddy Mercury...is that true Don?

Don Frye: I heard that you lost your virginity to Freddy Mercury. But I defended you. I said no...Ken Shamrock lost his virginity to a man waaaay before he started dating Freddy Mercury.

Don Frye wins the internet.

Don Frye is a national treasure.

The amount of injuries destroying cards this year has been ridiculous. Following MMA has become a bit of a chore, I need to stop looking at cards until the night before I think.

Outside of the main events, I currently don't even bother checking out the cards until indeed the night before.

WMMA's update reflects this evolution somewhat, as before the game only rarely saw someone injured, even though I've had it on the maximum value from the get-go. :D

I will be honest with you, part of me wants to put a little something down on Bonnar but it's mainly because those odds are absolutely ridiculous and putting down a rather small bet can make me a very happy boy for a night :-)

Bonnar's got almost no advantage over Silva that I can see except maybe size. I think it'll be fun, and it'll be a very entertaining fight. I'm buying the card for sure. I just don't think he has a real shot at actually winning but hey, crazier things have happened in MMA.