The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Serra vs GSP, maybe. Gonzaga vs Cro-Cop. JDS vs Werdum and Thiago vs Koscheck, to a lesser extent. Sokoudju vs Little Nog and Arona.

All of those have logical explanations, save Serra vs. GSP. But I'd argue Serra was a much more worthy adversary than Stephan Bonnar is for Anderson Silva... Which says a lot. The dude couldn't beat Forrest Griffin, and look at how Silva embarrassed him. This is a step backwards for a 38-year-old Silva. He should have just taken the Weidman fight...

The Bonnar fight is understandable not just because it is a replacement fight but also because Bonnar was one of the very few guys willing to face Silva at such short notice. As for Silva taking on Weidman, I like Weidman and it's a fight I'd love to see but it's fight that there is absolutely no justification for making it right now. Weidman's record doesn't warrant it and it's a fight that means virtually nothing at the box office.

Look if they made Silva fight Weidman, after his beating Maia and Munoz, I wouldn't have a problem with that either. It's just not much of a title shot being so close, plus Weidman has a nice fight scheduled already.

I think he's just as much a top guy at 185 RIGHT NOW as anyone in that division. I personally feel Bisping is a little higher up than him, because he's beaten quite a few top 185ers and that Chael fight was too close. But again, he has a nice fight lined up already.

I mean look at his record: Bonnar's actually in the midst of the best win streak in his career in my opinion. Soszynski, Prokrajak, and Kinsbury are a far cry from Anderson Silva of course, but I mean he DID beat those dudes and did it in entertaining fashion. For a replacement of a replacement fight I'd say we're making out pretty good.

I still think Bonnar gets destroyed. But at -850 it's so tempting just to put down a few bucks on him...

• 2 weeks later...
Can't be long left for Dana at the helm. Must be so exhausting and he's starting to do more harm than good IMO. He said anyone who didn't like Johnson vs. Benavidez shouldn't bother watching UFC, don't think he understands the huge range of appeals things can have and how a large audience just won't find them interesting. Personally I just don't care about flyweights and I'm hardly the most casual, in-and-out fan, I skipped through the title fight in a rush and have felt no urge to watch it since :p

MMA's rep is being destroyed rather than build... That's the 2nd card being cancelled in a sole month. Great job, Zuffa. :mad:

And yes, he's a gracie black belt. At least according to Goldie.

He's been a black belt under Carlson Gracie since his PRIDE days. And I'll say it again... POSTPONE ZUFFA! POSTPONE!

Benavidez/Johnson was a good fight but there was nothing about either fighter that engaged the live fans or the casual fan. As good as the Flyweights are as fighters, and they are very skilled, there isn't anything about them that engages the audience or captures your attention. Talent isn't enough but Dana and company have tunnel vision and don't seem to realize that.

Benavidez/Johnson was a good fight but there was nothing about either fighter that engaged the live fans or the casual fan. As good as the Flyweights are as fighters, and they are very skilled, there isn't anything about them that engages the audience or captures your attention. Talent isn't enough but Dana and company have tunnel vision and don't seem to realize that.

It was a fun fight. Benevidez was too committed to the KO shot and it allowed DJ to look like Floyd Mayweather all night long. In the 4th round that was probably the best portion of the whole card. But the crowd had just sat through a Matt Hamill fight. And they'd been pretty miserable throughout the night. I think it's time the UFC started reducing ticket prices and started holding a few less PPVs per year. I think FW/BW/FW co-main events will work well at providing depth to cards. Without having to pin the hopes of a PPV on them.

The UFC also needs to set-up a mandate for the structure of training camps from this point forward. And not offer bout agreements until 3 weeks before fight date. Hopefully this will force fighters to stop holding ridiculously strenuous crunch camps and focus on a more year-round training program.

Been visiting twitter again, and seriously...

How awesome is Chael Sonnen? He truly is the master of trashtalk. I bow down to his greatness. 240K following, following no one. Badmouthing Jon Jones like a boss. And the champ is playing along. :p

And come on Zuffa. I'm not gonna swing insults, but really... Your next Strikeforce event only has 3 fights, while you just cancelled one. At least make the move of resceduling some main card fights to the next one... But perhaps it will pose a problem as fighters' training camps need to be prolonged, which might cause them to overextend.

Now Mir is out. The only reason they didn't cancel that card is probly because it almost had no fights on it. And I know it's Showtime's fault, but there's no excuse for Zuffa either. They handled it poorly.

Been visiting twitter again, and seriously...

How awesome is Chael Sonnen? He truly is the master of trashtalk. I bow down to his greatness. 240K following, following no one. Badmouthing Jon Jones like a boss. And the champ is playing along. :p

And come on Zuffa. I'm not gonna swing insults, but really... Your next Strikeforce event only has 3 fights, while you just cancelled one. At least make the move of resceduling some main card fights to the next one... But perhaps it will pose a problem as fighters' training camps need to be prolonged, which might cause them to overextend.

Now Mir is out. The only reason they didn't cancel that card is probly because it almost had no fights on it. And I know it's Showtime's fault, but there's no excuse for Zuffa either. They handled it poorly.

That account isn't him... It must be some Mexican guy.

If you are talking about Sonnen, it is a verified account (@sonnench) it's been plugged in interviews with him as well.

I was joking... For the record though: He's only recently confirmed it was him. For the longest time he'd say he's never been on twitter. I was riffing on that with his now infamous Jim Rome line before the first Anderson fight...

Man judging in MMA is horrendous. It really needs to be improved.

Well there needs to be some sort of common ground. The rules are way too arbitrary. Some people value takedowns more, some value cage control more than others,... Fighters have no idea before the fight who those judges are, so they're left to contingency.