The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

rashad isnt even a favorite of mine, i just think he takes this fight

I don't see it personally. Looking at his last fight, he was constantly throwing combinations as a means to get inside and wrestle. That wont work with 'Page because he's a bigger, stronger guy.

I'm probably a little biased on this one to be honest, but I know how badly he's been obsessing about smashing Rashad up. A lot of people think 'Page is distracted with movie deals etc...but honestly, I've never seen someone with as much focus and desire to win a fight as Q right now.

imma repost this so it doesnt get lost

am i the only one here that thinks faber doesn't deserve a title shot already?

he comes off TWO losses to Mike Brown, and gets one win. i personally dont think thats enough IMO, i think they need to start building up some new Featherweight stars.

You also have to take into consideration that the talent pool in WEC is lesser, which means it takes less wins to get a title shot. Faber was already a champion, and the most dominant champion yet at 145. So in my eyes he's proven himself as a title contender. The problem is, if Aldo beats Faber they're pretty much out of big contenders, aside from the Brown/Aldo rematch.

It won't be long until they're forced to start putting super fights together if they don't grab some more relevant challengers.

i just think they need to find some solid fighters from other promotions, and then just steal them. i dont care if they have to nonames fighting on the undercard, because chances are someone will impress and get to fight better guys :p

That's pretty much what they've been doing here recently. That's where guys like Phil Davis and the like are coming from. Bellator, Strikeforce, King of the Cage, and other smaller shows are always going to be the UFC's main source for talent. Bellator is looking like the main source right now... They've got so many prospects it's almost like the gold rush is happening all over again. UFC is simply waiting for the contracts to come up and they'll make their offers.

That's pretty much what they've been doing here recently. That's where guys like Phil Davis and the like are coming from. Bellator, Strikeforce, King of the Cage, and other smaller shows are always going to be the UFC's main source for talent. Bellator is looking like the main source right now... They've got so many prospects it's almost like the gold rush is happening all over again. UFC is simply waiting for the contracts to come up and they'll make their offers.

I'd love to see the UFC have some sort of 'talent exchange' program with a smaller 'feeder' organisation in a few years time. Somewhere to send guys that need a few wins without cutting them for the competition to pick up. They've got something stupid like 280 fighters on the books; it'd allow some of these guys to get an extra fight or two a year in as well, on loan, to use a football term.

UFC gets first refusal on any talented prospects from it's own personal breeding ground, and a regional organisation gets the benefit of UFC backing and the odd UFC cast-off to headline it's shows.

I'm actually surprised they already haven't done that with someone like KOTC (although they had issues last year with ownership) since there are so many UFC/former UFC guys that have fought there and they are run a regular established schedule.

Terry, the guy who runs KOTC (and has done since the begining aside from the ProElite blip) and is a straight-up awsome guy, has taken a once-bitten, twice shy sort of attitude as far as selling stakes/co-promoting is concerned. It's a shame, because like you say, KOTC would be the ideal type of joint venture.

XFC would be another great option, as they are very geared up towards developing fighters already. They have interests in a few small MMA gyms and training facilities and generally work on getting undeveloped fighters 'up to standard'.

Breaking news (well, in the last few hours): Ben Rothwell is out of the Cro Cop fight after coming down with a sudden illness. They've talked Anthony Perosh, a 10-5 light heavyweight, into replacing him. He's fought in the UFC twice before in 2006, losing to Jeff Monson and and Christian Wellisch.

He'll most likely get murdered, unless the late change causes Mirko to suffer another one of his meltdowns.

Also, the Elvis Sinosic vs Chris Haseman bout has been pulled completely from the even. Elvis hurt his shoulder in his final training session Thursday evening. For those who don't know, both Sinosic and Haseman are retired - Acording to Elvis, Lorenzo Fertitta promised him that if they ever went to Oz, he'd put him on the card by way of thanks for all the times he'd stepped up and gone balls to the wall for the UFC.

Haseman is another Aussie who made his name in the RINGS promotion in Japan. He also had numerous fights in Holland in their RINGS offshoot which don't appear on his record due to the partial-MMA rules and 'iffy' nature of some of the outcomes (read: they were fixed fights). He only fought once in the UFC (a loss to the late Evan Tanner in 2002) but is held in high regard by Aussie fans as a pioneer of the sport.

The fight was only put on because the UFC were unsure of ticket sales due to the lack of a really big Aussie fighter for the main card (they sold out 18,000 seats and a CCTV ballroom in days anyway), so there was little chance (or point) in them replacing Elvis.

I spoke to him earlier via messenger and he said they're going to try again next year :-p

An okay fight with Rothwell has turned into a lose/lose fight for Cro Cop. Rothwell has at least by some people's rankings been a top ten heavyweight a couple of different times.

Now Cro Cop's in with a second-degree BJJ black belt with no standup offense or defense. So if Cro Cop wins, he just beat a can in the octagon, and if he loses all the Cro Cop detractors are going to be waving torches and pitchforks calling for his retirement.

The sad thing about it... Most fans of CC still put so much faith in the high kicks... He can't do it as often anymore... He's older, he's not as quick, and his legs are beat up.

I'm not ashamed to admit that Mirko has been one of my favorite fighters, and stll remains so to this day. I just hope that he's being serious about cross training into more Muay Thai, and letting his coaches dictate what goes on whether than him just bringing in sloppy strikers to beat on in his camps.

Regardless, I see Cro Cop taking the can out with punches similar to the way he beat Sanchez in his UFC debut.

----

I guess I never really paid attention to the Bisping/Kang fight, but last night when I was watching the Countdown show I noticed Bisping fought with longer hair in that fight. I'd just like to say that man looks absolutely strange with hair on his head, and the weird paste mustache he's got going on. He looks more like he belongs in Deadwood, South Dakota more than an MMA fight.

That being said, I am looking forward to Silva/Bisping more than any fight this year so far. Wand's got some of his old Chute Boxe crew back together, so we'll see if he can "keep moving forward, forward, forward" or if he's got a case of "Cro-Copitis". Either way, I hope win or lose it's a positive showing for Bisping. Bisping challenging for the title in the UK would be absolutely ridiculous as far as fan reaction is concerned, and I'd actually bet on Bisping in that one if he gets there.

An okay fight with Rothwell has turned into a lose/lose fight for Cro Cop. Rothwell has at least by some people's rankings been a top ten heavyweight a couple of different times.

Now Cro Cop's in with a second-degree BJJ black belt with no standup offense or defense. So if Cro Cop wins, he just beat a can in the octagon, and if he loses all the Cro Cop detractors are going to be waving torches and pitchforks calling for his retirement.

The sad thing about it... Most fans of CC still put so much faith in the high kicks... He can't do it as often anymore... He's older, he's not as quick, and his legs are beat up.

I'm not ashamed to admit that Mirko has been one of my favorite fighters, and stll remains so to this day. I just hope that he's being serious about cross training into more Muay Thai, and letting his coaches dictate what goes on whether than him just bringing in sloppy strikers to beat on in his camps.

Regardless, I see Cro Cop taking the can out with punches similar to the way he beat Sanchez in his UFC debut.

Very true. You just never know these days with Mirko...on paper he's goot good TD defence, never been subbed and he's facing a 205lb'er who blocks punches with his chin on a days notice. But there's still that lingering question mark: will the last minute change and as you say, the fact that it is a no-win fight, throw him off mentally.

I think he takes this one quite easily, but I'll be nervous watching :-p

Also, I think one of the thing alot of people forget about Mirko is that although he's known for that LHK knock out (which he hasn't pulled off in what, three and a half years) he's actually got an awsome right cross that did just as much for him, if not more, throughout his career. I think that's the strike he'll be ending Perosh's night with on Saturday.

I guess I never really paid attention to the Bisping/Kang fight, but last night when I was watching the Countdown show I noticed Bisping fought with longer hair in that fight. I'd just like to say that man looks absolutely strange with hair on his head, and the weird paste mustache he's got going on. He looks more like he belongs in Deadwood, South Dakota more than an MMA fight.

Lol. Funny story, and a bit of an exclusive for the good people of the GDS forums. Bisping had an AWFUL weight cut for 105. If you saw the weigh-in you'll notice he had a bottle of juice in his hand as soon as he got off the scale, even before the staredown. He was really miserable the day before the fight.

Anyway, I stayed with family in Manchester for 105, but my boss was staying with Antony McGann (Bisping's manager/wolfslair owner). At about 11:30pm on the night after the weigh-ins, Bisping decided he wanted to go to the cinema. He figured out that the night before every UFC fight since he won TUF, he'd been to watch a film...all except the Dan Henderson fight.

So to humor him, we all get ready at like 11:45 and jump in the car to make the late night cinema, and Mike is in a really good mood, thanking everyone for comming and rabbiting on about the cinema being his lucky charm, and that we should see if they'll stay open so we can watch two movies in a row (WTF?).

So we get there, get the tickets and he's dissappeared. We catch up with him comming back from the consessions stand, carrying the biggest tray of drinks/snacks I've ever seen. Hotdog, three supersize cokes, two huge popcorns, a bag of Malteasers, Revels, and a Santa's sack-sized Pick-and-Mix. We thought that he was being overly greatfull and had bought us all refreshments, untill he gleefully informed us that they were all for him. Seriously, he demolished the lot, and missed most of the film as he kept having to run out and take a pee.

That being said, I am looking forward to Silva/Bisping more than any fight this year so far. Wand's got some of his old Chute Boxe crew back together, so we'll see if he can "keep moving forward, forward, forward" or if he's got a case of "Cro-Copitis". Either way, I hope win or lose it's a positive showing for Bisping. Bisping challenging for the title in the UK would be absolutely ridiculous as far as fan reaction is concerned, and I'd actually bet on Bisping in that one if he gets there.

You know, if Bisping challenges for the title late this year or early next, I think the odds for that fight (assuming it's against Anderson Silva) would be so crazy that it'd be silly not to put a fed quid on him regardless.

Throwing my predictions out for UFC 110:

Nogueira over Velasquez

-I can't believe how many people are taking Velasquez over Nogueira. Sure, I will be the first to admit that Velasquez has a bright future, but we're talking about Nogueira here... He has the boxing advantage, the ground advantage, and it goes without saying that Nogueira is going to have no jitters about headlining a show. The only way I see Velasquez winning is if he's able to control a very cunning Nogueira on the ground for 3 rounds... Velasquez is no Fedor, I'm calling a choke submission; end of the second, or beginning of the third.

Wand over Bisping

-Hard fight to pick... Silva has the experience edge by a mile and a half, and I'd have to give him the advantage in the stand-up. Bisping might be able to put Silva on his ass and pound on him, we'll see... But I'm going with my gut and saying Wand is going to show us another performance like he did against Jardine.

Stevenson over Sotiropulous

-I don't see either submitting the other, and neither are great on their feet... Boring fight that gives the nod to Joe Stevenson via decision.

Bader over Jardine

-Bader is going to look strong in a decision against Jardine... As for Jardine? Now that Spike is showing prelims most of the time, he'll be a solid gatekeeper to draw in fans until he builds some wins to start maining again.

Cro Cop over Perosh

-Cro Cop should smash Perosh by TKO in the first two minutes. Not sure the UFC keeps Cro Cop after this fight unless he smashes the can as expected. How can the UFC keep Cro Cop if he goes to decision with someone that got knocked out by Jeff Monson?

Prelim:

Soszynski over Bonnar - U. Decision

Lytle over Forster - U. Decision

Reljic over Dollaway - TKO

Pokrajac over Te Huna - TKO

I just heard Cro Cop got stitches. He says he's still going to fight, but he may not be cleared.

There's nobody that needs to clear him - The UFC are regulating themselves in Australia, same as with the UK/Germany.

It's not at all uncommon for boxers/MMA fighters to compete with stitches in unregulated areas. Not smart, not great, but it gets you in the ring/cage. Point being, it's Mirko's decision to compete - The UFC have had no problems in the past encouraging guys to fight hurt, so I'm sure they'll have no issues with a guy who wants to fight. I expect if the cut hasn't closed by fight time they'll glue it and worry about it afterwards.

Cro Cop will have even more of an incentive to work fast...if the cut opens (and if it's anything like they're making it out to be, it will) then it's likely the fight will be stopped if it's impairing his vision.

There's nobody that needs to clear him - The UFC are regulating themselves in Australia, same as with the UK/Germany.

It's not at all uncommon for boxers/MMA fighters to compete with stitches in unregulated areas. Not smart, not great, but it gets you in the ring/cage. Point being, it's Mirko's decision to compete - The UFC have had no problems in the past encouraging guys to fight hurt, so I'm sure they'll have no issues with a guy who wants to fight. I expect if the cut hasn't closed by fight time they'll glue it and worry about it afterwards.

Cro Cop will have even more of an incentive to work fast...if the cut opens (and if it's anything like they're making it out to be, it will) then it's likely the fight will be stopped if it's impairing his vision.

You're giving a lot of credit to Perosh's punching power to assume he'll bust a stitch, lol. I think the air of resistance pushing back at Mirko as he moves forward has more chance of opening the stitch than Perosh.

Last time Mirko was bleeding in the UFC, he got his head kicked off his shoulders... Perosh vs. Lesnar, maybe?

You're giving a lot of credit to Perosh's punching power to assume he'll bust a stitch, lol. I think the air of resistance pushing back at Mirko as he moves forward has more chance of opening the stitch than Perosh.

Last time Mirko was bleeding in the UFC, he got his head kicked off his shoulders... Perosh vs. Lesnar, maybe?

If Anthony Perosh isn't on the front cover of UFC Undisputed 2011 then I'm not buying it.

-Mirko looks a bit pudgy... I hope him turning the reins over to his team didn't entail him working out and eating twinkies instead.

-Cain Velasquez has the worst tattoo I've ever seen in my entire life. I've never understood why people turn the other cheek about it, and there hasn't been any sort of real uproar about it... Because I guarentee you if someone like Forrest Griffin got "White Pride" slapped across his chest, someone would be raising a stink. But hey, what's good for me isn't good for you, and so on and so forth. Starting to think people have no idea that his chest even says "Brown Pride" because the N in Brown is so hard to make out.

-Wanderlei is SHREDDED. I haven't seen him in that kind of shape since his earlier days in PRIDE. He looks weird without his nose punched in... Hopefully Bisping can fix his face for him before Wand knocks him out lol. The staredown push apart was awesome too. Wand was like "LOL O RLY?" And Bisping was like "YA RLY!"

-This is a creepy picture, caption it in your own mind... http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/thumbnail_crop/600/_images/pictures/20100219090839_DGH196242.JPG

-I don't think Ryan Bader has combed his hair since he graduated high school... Is that his secret?

-Dana White has given Stephan the "You helped build this place, you have a job for life" speech two times now, I believe... Do you think he'll get more of the same if he gets beat by Sos? I think Bonnar's upside loses ground with every poor performance, and to keep him while throwing away others who have more talent is a disservice to the sport, whether him throwing wild haymakers in an unorthodox fight brought all the sows to the slop bucket or not.

-Apparently I'm bad at making out tattoos... What the hell is that on Lytle's rib? It looks like a bird, but I'm uncertain.

-What the hell is Goran doing? http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/thumbnail_crop/600/_images/pictures/20100219091733_DGH194552.JPG Auditions for the sequel to Dragon Ball are that way ----->

-----

Hmm, after watching the actual weigh-ins video, I retract what I said about Cro Cop. He looks really solid, actually. It was just the pics that Sherdog's staff took that made it appear that way.

-Cain Velasquez has the worst tattoo I've ever seen in my entire life. I've never understood why people turn the other cheek about it, and there hasn't been any sort of real uproar about it... Because I guarentee you if someone like Forrest Griffin got "White Pride" slapped across his chest, someone would be raising a stink. But hey, what's good for me isn't good for you, and so on and so forth. Starting to think people have no idea that his chest even says "Brown Pride" because the N in Brown is so hard to make out.

There was a pretty funny thread I saw a while back where someone asked why he had 'BRONX PRIDE' on his chest if he was from Cali. It lead to people responding with "It actually says X". Some of them were pretty funny. My contribution was "BOUGHT PRIDE" (A tribute to the Fertitta brothers).

Cain's reasoning:

I got my tattoo because I wanted people to know I was Mexican and that I was doing good things with my life. I'm really proud of what I went through to get where I am. Growing up, there wasn't anyone in the media [who was of Mexican decent] who I could look up to. There wasn't anyone who looked like me [in the media], so I never thought I would do something good. I figured I would just go out and join the regular work force. I never thought I'd make a career out of wrestling or fighting. I just wanted everyone to say I was just like them and that I was good at what I did.

Personally I could care less if someone has a Brown/Pride, Black/White Power or whatever. They all mean different things to different people and everyone is entitled to their opinions and views. Besides, if someone has had something like that written on their body, they're probably not going to care all that much what anyone thinks about it :-p

I've taken a fair bit of grief over the years for my Anarchy tats, usually from people who have no idea what they mean :-p

-Apparently I'm bad at making out tattoos... What the hell is that on Lytle's rib? It looks like a bird, but I'm uncertain.

It's a Lion roaring.