The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

God I hate Fedor's management. They'll fight Brett Rogers but Overeem hasn't beaten anybody? stop ducking and fight for God's sake. I hate that we get to see him fight once a year.

The really jaw-dropping part of all this is that in the same interview Vadim Finkelstein said "we won't fight Overeem (who has never tested dirty) unless he tests clean before the fight"...before stating that they would be persuing a bout with Josh Barnett (who has pee'd hot three times) in Japan. Hmm.

To be fair to Fedor, he would have fought three times last year and was injured for alot of 2008. He fought twice in 07 and 06 and three times in 05...so he's not really a whole lot less active than say, a Mir, Nogueira, Lesnar etc. I know what you mean though, it seems like every time he gets some momentum behind him for a really big fight, something nixes it.

From what brashleyholland said if there is a title clause Fedor doesnt want the title b/c then he will have to stay in Strikeforce until he loses it.

I find that extremely hard to believe, given M-1's history. But even if that is the case, they signed the contract themselves and they agreed to it less than a year ago. At the end of the day he's ducking. Fedor refused to fight Overeem without pre fight testing. Once that was promised, they wouldn't fight Overeem because he wasn't big enough and because they suspect he's on juice. But they will fight the guy who has already been caught juicing three times!

The really jaw-dropping part of all this is that in the same interview Vadim Finkelstein said "we won't fight Overeem (who has never tested dirty) unless he tests clean before the fight"...before stating that they would be persuing a bout with Josh Barnett (who has pee'd hot three times) in Japan. Hmm.

To be fair to Fedor, he would have fought three times last year and was injured for alot of 2008. He fought twice in 07 and 06 and three times in 05...so he's not really a whole lot less active than say, a Mir, Nogueira, Lesnar etc. I know what you mean though, it seems like every time he gets some momentum behind him for a really big fight, something nixes it.

Yeah they called Overeem a steroid bully then said they were open to fight Barnett anytime. It was hilarious and sad.

Fedor I just want to see you fight... :(

At least Mousasi's splitting from M-1.

So ESPN are reporting that Lesnar will return on the 3rd of July, which would be UFC 116, at the MGM Grand in Vegas. It could potentially be put back to August if Lesnar thinks he needs another month.

As expected, he'll fight the Carwin/Mir winner, with Velasquez on standby in case of medical suspensions/injuries. If the winner of Carwin/Mir is fit, Cain will face the winner of JDS/Gonzaga.

And according to Mauro Renallo, Overeem/Rogers has been signed for May 15th and *will* now be for the title, after originally being proposed as non-title affair. He also said that Fedor is 'pencilled-in' to fight Werdum on the same card...to be honest I think there is about as much chance of me appearing on that card as Fedor :-p

Tim Sylvia is now *off* the Dream card. They tried to switch opponants on him with two weeks notice, so he pulled out. Could affect future bookings with Dream for Timmeh.

Add Nick Diaz to the list of fighters making bone-headed comments in public...He posted a comment from his YouTube account on a video of Takanori Gomi containing a particularly offencive racial slur. The video was of Gomi acting a little drunk after his fight against Kawajiri in Pride, and Diaz's comment read something along the lines of "Drink up you stupid ['G' word]. I wonder if anyone has taken time to explain that Gomi is Japanese, not Veitnamese, or if Diaz actually knows what the word means in the first place :-P

Scott Coker thinks that Fedor will probably fight for Strikeforce at the end of the second or sometime in the third quarter of 2009. Here's hoping for a July CBS card, so we might actually get so see him fight the winner of Rogers/Overeem later in the year.

INSANE RUMOR OF THE DAY: Kimbo vs James Toney will take place on the April 17th UFC card, to counter Strikeforce.

From Kevin Iole, who is *very* well connected to Dana White. Wow, didn't see that one comming!

Has to be said though, considering the source, there's a *VERY* good chance that this was a deliberate leak on Dana White's part to force Scott Coker's hand.

I hope that was sarcasm, Brashers.

Sucks to be Mitrione, since he'll now no longer be fighting Slice if this is true. It'll be fun fight as long as neither of them pull a Houston and stalk around the ring with leg kicks. Though frankly it's neither of their styles, this is going to be a few minutes of mindless slugging before someone goes to sleep. I'd say Kimbo, the guy's chin's been called into question already by Seth Friggn' Petruzelli, so I can't see Toney missing it. And Toney's got a granite face, so Kimbo'll struggle to do any damage too. Hard fight for the bearded wonder.

Sucks to be Mitrione, since he'll now no longer be fighting Slice if this is true. It'll be fun fight as long as neither of them pull a Houston and stalk around the ring with leg kicks. Though frankly it's neither of their styles, this is going to be a few minutes of mindless slugging before someone goes to sleep. I'd say Kimbo, the guy's chin's been called into question already by Seth Friggn' Petruzelli, so I can't see Toney missing it. And Toney's got a granite face, so Kimbo'll struggle to do any damage too. Hard fight for the bearded wonder.

Unless he takes him down like he did to Alexander. Then I can see Kimbo winning by submission or ground and pound.

Lol, you knows it ;)

Hopefully there will be a few minutes of spirited swinging followed by a dirty great big KO. I doubt anyone, Joe Silva and Dana White included, is expecting any more than that. As Chris said, there's always the chance we get to see another 'Kimbo-plex' and Slice grinds this one out on the mat.

The Korean Zombie was signed by WEC and is rumored to fight at the Aldo v. Faber card.

This is why you should care. He apparently couldn't get anymore fights in Japan (or at least in SRC) because they didn't want a dangerous Korean featherweight defeating Japanese guys.

This is why you should care.

...and this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWnWFY-7gS8

...shame it was illigal and he got DQ'd, but day-um!

He apparently couldn't get anymore fights in Japan (or at least in SRC) because they didn't want a dangerous Korean featherweight defeating Japanese guys.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Racism is still very prevelent in Japan, especially when it comes to Koreans.

So ESPN are reporting that Lesnar will return on the 3rd of July, which would be UFC 116, at the MGM Grand in Vegas. It could potentially be put back to August if Lesnar thinks he needs another month.

As expected, he'll fight the Carwin/Mir winner, with Velasquez on standby in case of medical suspensions/injuries. If the winner of Carwin/Mir is fit, Cain will face the winner of JDS/Gonzaga.

I hope that this isnt true because i hate how Cain Velasquez is always pushed down he beat Cheick Kongo and was set to fight Carwin but was put with Rothwell instead smashed him and was then matched with Noguiera beat him, im sick of him having to continually fight matches and has still not gotten his no.1 contender shot

I hope that this isnt true because i hate how Cain Velasquez is always pushed down he beat Cheick Kongo and was set to fight Carwin but was put with Rothwell instead smashed him and was then matched with Noguiera beat him, im sick of him having to continually fight matches and has still not gotten his no.1 contender shot

In fairness, he was always behind Carwin in the pecking order. The entire division has been on hold since Lesnar went out.

Since then, the understanding has always been that the Carwin/Mir winner would fight Lesnar first...Cain knew he was behind them in the queue. Look at it this way, he's still young in MMA terms. He'll likely get one more fight before fighting for the title...it's just more good experience.

If he can't beat JDS, he doesn't deserve to fight for the belt. If he can, then he will.

Wow thats def. top 10 worst I've seen (maybe 5 but I dont exactly keep a ranking of top head wounds handy)

gonna be a b*tch to heal considering how sensitve the forehead is anyway, would suck if even in 6 months/year he got hit wrong sparring before a fight (Shamrock style) that reopened that sucker

Wow thats def. top 10 worst I've seen (maybe 5 but I dont exactly keep a ranking of top head wounds handy)

Lets think...

1: Marvin Eastman vs Belfort http://thecagedoctors.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/eastman.jpg

2: Abe Wagnar vs John Madsen http://thecagedoctors.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/abe%20wagner%20gash.jpg

3: Cub Swanson vs Jose Aldo http://thecagedoctors.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/cub.jpg

4: Ross Pointon vs Zaromskis http://www.yardbarker.com/media/e/b/eb893c0ea7907618ccb316fd2e7aa6b10ff1ab6e/related/ross-pointon-cut.jpg

5: Fedor vs Nogueira http://thecagedoctors.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/fedor%20cut.jpg

6:Alex Reid vs Ninja Rua http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/i/pi/181620_1.jpg

7:Kaleb Starnes vs Alan Belcher http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/305973/kalibstarnes_cut.jpg

8:James Irvin vs Anderson Silva http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/5088/roflov0.jpg

9:Gary Goodridge http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/i/pi/363891_1.jpg

10: Diaz vs Gomi http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/i/pi/201424_1.jpg

Lol, not really in any order...but yeah, I'd say the Torres one could slot in nicely near the top of that list

Kimbo vs Mitrione has just been confirmed for UFC 113.

We had Randy Couture on our radio show recently and he said that although bout agreement havn't been issued and nothing is set in stone, both he and the UFC (White and Silva) are keen on making the fight happen in June/July.

My opinion (if this fight does indeed go down instead of the Rich Franklin bout) is that it's more likely to take place in July. The June show in in Vancouver, and there is currently a bit of concern surrounding whether or not his event will actually happen due to the lack of regulations in British Columbia. While I'm sure that the UFC will have it sorted by then, asking them to sanction Couture vs Toney might be a bit of a stretch.

Zuffa is firmly in bed with the Vegas commission and would likely have Toney/Couture green-lighted at the drop of a hat there.

Unfortunately both those fights don't interest me at all so I could care less. I understand Couture/Toney will probably get them some more ESPN coverage and interview but from my point of view I have no interest in seeing a 41 year old boxing very new to MMA taking on a 45 (?) year old man who is known as one of the godfathers of the UFC and MMA as we know it today, also seems if Couture loses, doesn't this hurt MMA's image even a little bit?

On a positive note I am getting really excited for 111 coming up as I'm actually interested in all the main card fights (which hasn't been the case lately)

Also getting excited for Vera vs. Jones and I really hope we get to see a decent amount of those prelims as theres 5 of them I'd like to see while Kongo vs. Buentello doesnt interest me as much

Unfortunately both those fights don't interest me at all so I could care less. I understand Couture/Toney will probably get them some more ESPN coverage and interview but from my point of view I have no interest in seeing a 41 year old boxing very new to MMA taking on a 45 (?) year old man who is known as one of the godfathers of the UFC and MMA as we know it today, also seems if Couture loses, doesn't this hurt MMA's image even a little bit?

Randy would be 47 when this fight goes down, if it goes down. There's the 'out' for the UFC. His chin is gone, has been for years. Vera showed that he can be hurt badly by body shots. If Toney takes him out, he's taken out a broken down 47 year old, no big deal. Still, it's an insanely hard fight for Toney.

On the flipside, if Toney loses, then he got taken down and pounded out/submitted by a UFC legend, multi-time champion, Hall of Famer, etc, in his first MMA bout. No shame in that. Stick him against Kimbo next time out and you have another huge TV main event or PPV card-filler.

It's decent matchmaking and MMA purist that I am, I'm not ashamed to say I'd love to see it, just out of pure morbid curiosity of seeing a great wrestler vs a great boxer in 2010, 17 years after that stuff went out of style :-p

On a positive note I am getting really excited for 111 coming up as I'm actually interested in all the main card fights (which hasn't been the case lately)

Also getting excited for Vera vs. Jones and I really hope we get to see a decent amount of those prelims as theres 5 of them I'd like to see while Kongo vs. Buentello doesnt interest me as much

Agreed on both counts. I think the VS show is two hours, so assuming all the fights don't go to a decision, we should see a couple of the undercard bouts.

UFC 111 is a big deal over here as it's the first title shot for a UK fighter. It'll probably be bittersweet, but meh, I'll have my flag wrapped around me screaming like a nutter anyway :-p