What grinds your gears?

brashleyholland

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- The fact that the A Hole who " invented " (air quotes and all) the snuggie is a f'n multi billionaire. He didn't invent the dammed blanket. Why is he rich?

I say AMEN to this one...

The fact that he ripped off one of my childhood heroes doesn't do him any favors with me either. Who, you ask? Well, just imagine a nice red snuggie, emblazoned with a big golden 'A' on the front, and paired with matching cap, and soon the answer will come to you.

:eek:

I say AMEN to this one...

The fact that he ripped off one of my childhood heroes doesn't do him any favors with me either. Who, you ask? Well, just imagine a nice red snuggie, emblazoned with a big golden 'A' on the front, and paired with matching cap, and soon the answer will come to you.

:eek:

Allllllllllllllllllllllllllvin?

If so he never wore a snuggie...it was a dress... :p

If my mom's husband calls and says she's going into the hospital I need to be able to answer my phone then and there. If my sister calls and says my brother got held up and I need to run and get the kids from the sitter because I'm closest then I'm answering my phone. My expectation of my employees which has been met to date is that you know the difference between an emergency call and not. You see you're buddies number on the screen you put your phone back in your pocket, your with a customer you wait til you're done and call back. If its your mom and you pick up for a second find out its not an emergency and say I can't talk now then that's fine too.

And yet, if you're in the middle of a transaction or helping a customer, you shouldn't pick up the phone until you get a chance anyway. In my wholesale business, we don't deal with customers face to face. If my employees want to be on the phone while they do their job, good for them.

I absolutely agree with you. There are times when taking a call is more important then your job.

A few years ago I was in a nail salon that I went to often. A newer girl was doing my nails and well she got a phone call. Long story short. She cut my nails WAY to short and I had to have acrylic nails put on. ( I use to be vain)

The worst part of it was she expected me to pay the 72 dollars for the set.

I spoke to her manager and told them. Look I told her not to cut them short. The manager said I should have been paying attention. I was like well ask the person she was on the phone with because I know they heard me yelling at the b****....:D

Your policy on phone use seems like a very good one. I would agree with you on how it works.

Look I'm not even the jerk who is all "i need a phone for blah blah blah" reason. I will respect the fact I'm not suppose to have it out, if I do it's for something important and I at least pay enough respect to try and not make it more then a rare occurrence, and try to be quiet about making a quick txt. that's not my problem.

My problem is that it's insulting to even tell me that's how things are. That they have the nerve to think I'll ever just hand over my phone wether I'm in the wrong or not. Write me up, fire me on the spot! That's all fair and good and I wouldn't bitch about it in the least, but stand there and tell me to hand over what I rightfully own? Screw that, I'd sell my soul on this matter if I was being payed a certain amount of money but my 75cents above minimum wage isn't going to cut it.

And to whoever mentioned doing some digging online, if you could post that proof that it's illegal I'd greatly appreciate it.

Something that really grinds my gears? When I say something, and somebody says "What?" and I say "Oh nothing" and then the person proceeds to repeat exactly what I've just said. If you heard me the first time then why did you ask?!

I also second the GTA San Andreas model plane mission from the very first post. Many a controller throwing moment during the many times I attempted that stupid ass mission.

Just remember, everyone is expendable.

I'm sure if they fired you, you'd say "Can you believe they fired me for ________?"

And I'd say, if that's the rule, then follow it or pay the consequences. I highly doubt they're keeping your phone for life and that you'd have to buy a replacement. You'd get it back at the end of the shift or on your break. There are far more egregious workplace infractions to get worked up over.

At the risk of being controversial, I really don't agree with the notion that you *should* tip.

If I go to the pub for a pint, I'm paying four times what it would cost me to buy a can of lager from my local store, just for the privilege of drinking out. I'm not obliged to chuck the barman an extra quid for pouring it for me, that's what he gets paid for. You don't tip in McDonalds, you don't tip in the supermarket when someone shows you which isle the instant noodles are in and you don't tip when someone helps you try on shoes.

Bolded part mean I assume you're not from the US. I stated before that in I believe most European countries the barman gets payed a living wage and doesn't need the tips to live. In the US which has a tipping culture, tipping jobs are not required to be payed even the mandatory minimum wage because they assumption is at the very least they'll make up the difference with tips. So The person that's serving you is relying on your tips to make a good wage.

In the US you don't tip at McDonalds because they make minimum wage, you don't tip at the supermarket because they make minimum wage (if they don't then tha'ts another story but they should be making at least minimum wage.)

Bolded part mean I assume you're not from the US. I stated before that in I believe most European countries the barman gets payed a living wage and doesn't need the tips to live. In the US which has a tipping culture, tipping jobs are not required to be payed even the mandatory minimum wage because they assumption is at the very least they'll make up the difference with tips. So The person that's serving you is relying on your tips to make a good wage.

Yeah, like I said later on in my post, I understand that it's very different in America culture wise. It still doesn't change how I feel about the whole "If you can't afford to tip, don't go to a bar" thing that was mentioned. That's really where my gears are being ground.

Like you said, McDonalds pays minimum wage, supermarkets pay minimum wage...just because someone chooses to take the risk of working for less than minimum wage for a more rewarding job isn't my problem...it's theirs. If I don't think a barman has earned a tip, I won't be pressured into giving one 'just because' he relies on it.

It's down to the individual to be fiscally responsible. If the individual chooses to rely on hypothetical tips to make a good wage then fair play to them; but IMO it's not fair for that person to then brand those who chose not to, or are genuinely unable to tip, cheapskates.

I also second the GTA San Andreas model plane mission from the very first post. Many a controller throwing moment during the many times I attempted that stupid ass mission.

I'm so glad that there was such a big response to this one. I suck at games, but I've been convinced for years that my inability to do this level in any reasonable amount of time was more down to it's stupid, stupidly high level of difficulty than my own shortcomings. :D

I'm so glad that there was such a big response to this one. I suck at games, but I've been convinced for years that my inability to do this level in any reasonable amount of time was more down to it's stupid, stupidly high level of difficulty than my own shortcomings. :D

I never played any of the GTA games after the first one.

I honestly could not get past the first part when you have to drive the car to a specific spot. I got bored, and lost. So I just started running over people. :p

That was why I could never beat the game! I don't even like to think about that mission!:D

Also, in regards to tipping I hate it when a place like Dunkin Donuts have a tip cup. And then when you do not tip them, they look at you like you are wrong for not tipping them. Look you are not a waiter or waitress, you make minimum wage. Therefore I do not have to tip you.

What the heck is "Good Night Juice"? And why don't people just tell their kids to stop being such little bastards instead of giving them everything that they want?

Do you really want to know? Okay... I was try to not get over anyone's sensibilities, but it's basically over-the-counter cold medicine. I've seen some (not ALL of them, but enough to say I wouldn't be shocked yet still disappointed at it) parents have it in their purse. When their kids go on a tantrum, they might have one or buy some, get out of the store... and then well, you know... :( Let's just say if the parents wants to keep shopping, the kid is drowsy, to say the least. :(

I'll tell you what grinds my freakin' gears...today I was fighting Abobo in Double Dragon (the hardcore OG business) and that ruthless, heartless, son of a bitch bastard devil himself is a big bunch of bullcrap. I'm all like "Jumping Knee!" and he's like "Nuh uh. CLAP!" I started making my comeback, but another Abobo did a run-in and then I did the job. Billy Lee...I hardly knew ye.

Also, "Street Fighter: The Movie." Man, that was rotten. I think God punished Raul Julia for that one.

God: WTF? Prepare 2 B Ownd.

Raul Julia:Wow I am dead now.

Raul Julia has signed off of Earth 10:46 PM

This post was sponsored by Seagram's Seven.

You know what gets me?

I a female who was minding my own business walks into a store. Some drunk a-hole comes pushing through the door and pushes me against the stupid door. Never apologizes or anything. So I said *excuse you*. The douche bag follows me around the store going *excuse you baby*. WTF. I'm not his baby. Eww drunk old men!!! Dirty f*ers. :(

You know what gets me?

I a female who was minding my own business walks into a store. Some drunk a-hole comes pushing through the door and pushes me against the stupid door. Never apologizes or anything. So I said *excuse you*. The douche bag follows me around the store going *excuse you baby*. WTF. I'm not his baby. Eww drunk old men!!! Dirty f*ers. :(

I have to say men who call women "baby" or "babe" are ballsy and generally tread on a very fine line... you honestly don't know how they could react, you fall on one of those that don't take it lightly and WHAM.

I have to say men who call women "baby" or "babe" are ballsy and generally tread on a very fine line... you honestly don't know how they could react, you fall on one of those that don't take it lightly and WHAM.

In general I don't mind this term. It's those that DON'T know me. I mean if it is in a general manor I would shrug it off. If it like this A-hole who was just being an all around JERK I don't like it.

Just remember, everyone is expendable.

I'm sure if they fired you, you'd say "Can you believe they fired me for ________?"

And I'd say, if that's the rule, then follow it or pay the consequences. I highly doubt they're keeping your phone for life and that you'd have to buy a replacement. You'd get it back at the end of the shift or on your break. There are far more egregious workplace infractions to get worked up over.

Not the point. <.<

And because we have a union (hate it BTW) I have to rack up so many write ups before they can even be able to toss around the idea of letting me go. Even then it's this who big theatrical hassel where the union comes in and theres like a trial blah blah blah.

It's insulting. I went threw highschool dealing with that ****, though being a legal adult at 18 my senior year, I got yelled at for calling my mom on my cell phone when I dislocated my knee. And after putting up with that, I swore I'd let anyone get away with it. It's a stupid manner of pride and they don't pay me enough to swallow it.

It's not about getting in trouble for it, that makes sense. But this "company policy" is demeaning and I won't play by it.... And that being said I've all ready gone about looking for a new job (One that would be paying me enough to swallow my pride, and union free FTW)