What grinds your gears?

brashleyholland

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many things, so I will just give the short version.

1. When people write "I could care less". Come on people, it is "I couldn't care less". Get it right or don't use it.

2. Text speak in general. When was the last time you had a proper conversation with someone (face to face by actually speaking) and said "oh my god, laugh out loud, laughing my ass off and rolling on the floor laughing"! Seriously, why do people feel the need to make themselves look stupid?

3. Facebook! People waste far too much time on there and it has absolutely zero purpose. If I want to keep in touch with people and talk to friends then I will, and by phone or face to face.

4. When someone tells me that the way I feel about something is wrong. For example, if I say "Personally I think that the play was a bit boring" then how can someone tell me I am wrong? Damn it, it is how what I think about it.

5. People getting things out of life that they don't deserve. Either bad things happening to good people or good things happening to bad people.

6. When your partner assumes that you are psychic/telepathic.

Her. "Oh, can you just get that for there"

Me. "Get what, and from where?"

Her. "Oh, you know..that thing"

Me. "No, I don't know. What thing?"

Her "Why don't you know you ******* BEEP $(£*)^)£ *****!!"

7. People who whine about having children. Sorry, but you knew what you were getting yourself into. People like that do not deserve the blessing of having children as there are SO many people that would love to have children and can't for some reason or another.

8. People who complain about how hard their life is. Sorry, but do you watch Comic/Sport Relief (in the UK) or some similar show that shows us just how bad it can be for children/families in 3rd world countries? So you have to buy the value range food or can't afford to go and get pissed again tonight? Boo f'ing hoo!

9. People who drink too much and then act stupid. Come on people, you don't have to be a prat to have a good time. For that matter...people who complain if I don't drink and tell me to relax and have fun. Since when did you need to have alcohol to have fun?

They don't get their heads knocked clear off IN the stores. There are cameras. And... I hate to say say this... they get peppered really hard OUTSIDE the store... or even worse, get the "Good Night Juice" instead. :( I kid you not, I've seen parents by the hardest liquid cold medicine... as the "Good Night Juice". :(

What the heck is "Good Night Juice"? And why don't people just tell their kids to stop being such little bastards instead of giving them everything that they want?

1. When people write "I could care less". Come on people, it is "I couldn't care less". Get it right or don't use it.

2. Text speak in general. When was the last time you had a proper conversation with someone (face to face by actually speaking) and said "oh my god, laugh out loud, laughing my ass off and rolling on the floor laughing"! Seriously, why do people feel the need to make themselves look stupid?

8. People who complain about how hard their life is. Sorry, but do you watch Comic/Sport Relief (in the UK) or some similar show that shows us just how bad it can be for children/families in 3rd world countries? So you have to buy the value range food or can't afford to go and get pissed again tonight? Boo f'ing hoo!

9. People who drink too much and then act stupid. Come on people, you don't have to be a prat to have a good time. For that matter...people who complain if I don't drink and tell me to relax and have fun. Since when did you need to have alcohol to have fun?

Yeah these, although people who hang around drunks not drinking and being quiet get on my nerves too. Got no problem with people who don't drink but still know how to have a good time, but few things can ruin a night of drinking and talking crap like that nervous, quiet guy sipping coke and looking out of place.

I met a dude who said "laugh out loud" and "BRB" in person, not "be right back" but actually "BEE ARE BEE". I wanted to break his nose. Turns out he was also an anime fanatic who took it too seriously and one of those Jewish guys who is always "Oh hey look at me and how Jewish I am, I totally forgot I was in Australia and tried to order drinks in Hebrew, laugh out loud!"

Speaking about missions in GTA that annoy the ever living crap out of me:

There is this one mission in The Ballad of Gay Tony where you have to fly a helicopter and blow up a Yacht. Upon destroying the yacht you have to chase these dudes down in speed boats.

I hate that mission because I can never kill the guys in the speed boats. I always end up crashing my helicopter in the ocean!

I could put some political and religious stuff on here that annoys me. However, I will refrain from doing so as it would probably get me banned.

'Sports Entertainment' grinds my gears... REALLY badly. I'd hate to think I was one of the aforementioned peeps who takes his interests way too seriously, but just about every non-ROH wrestling show I watch ends up setting my blood to a boil, (though I wish I had access to more, WWE, TNA, and ROH are the three promotions I watch regularly FTR).

NXT for example always makes me want to stand on my head and do fancy yo-yo tricks. Firstly, a one-hour show spending the first thirty minutes on a keg-carrying race or a promo-fest on such fascinating wrestling-related topics as flowers and rainbows and dried-up possum droppings... Then there's Daniel Bryan's losing streak, which I have frankly tired of. I can't help but think The Big Bad E is doing that on purpose to somehow discredit Bryan and the general greatness of independent wrestling. Then of course everyone (as well as Everyone's first cousin Marvin) quickly chimes in that this losing streak Bryan's on is just a way to set up his eventual match and likely US Title win against The MIZ.

Well, that's just AWESOME, (not unlike The MIZ). There's no better way to make a guy look a champion than have him lose every last one of his matches, (a couple in less than three minutes), all the while being relentlessly made fun of by AN ANNOUNCER, (and not even a heel colour commentator either, but 2010's Golden Dingleberry Award Winner Michael Cole!!!)

Thinks that's how the NWA built Ric Flair into a household name back in the 80s, correct me if I'm wrong.

That's not even to mention Raw, which is loaded to the gills with "hilarious, side-splitting humour". Oh my...

Nothing's funnier than watching a very talented wrestler with a strong heritage behind him get repeatedly pwned by a leprechaun, just for example. That's right - months later and I'm still not over it.

Or TNA... who would rather do just about anything on Earth than let the Motor City Machine Guns have a match on TV... except for the occasional job of course. TNA could do a better job at building some of these main events up as well... All I know about booking is what I've learned from playing TEW, but I'm pretty sure they could be getting A LOT more out a lot of their stuff if they'd just invest a little more time in it.

I had a lot more left to say, but surprisingly, after that NXT rant I feel like I've gotten it all out of my system. That was therapeutic as all get out.

SmackDown!'s all right though.

And for the record, I don't really have anything against Michael Cole, I think he's solid enough as an announcer, and apparently his 'gimmick' on NXT is working on me at least.

That 'Golden Dingleberry' thing was supposed to be funny...

:o

Then there's Daniel Bryan's losing streak, which I have frankly tired of. I can't help but think The Big Bad E is doing that on purpose to somehow discredit Bryan and the general greatness of independent wrestling. Then of course everyone (as well as Everyone's first cousin Marvin) quickly chimes in that this losing streak Bryan's on is just a way to set up his eventual match and likely US Title win against The MIZ.

Well, that's just AWESOME, (not unlike The MIZ). There's no better way to make a guy look a champion than have him lose every last one of his matches, (a couple in less than three minutes), all the while being relentlessly made fun of by AN ANNOUNCER.

Think that's how the NWA built Ric Flair into a household name back in the 80s, correct me if I'm wrong.

:o

What, you don't remember how well Rey Mysterio's title reign went when he was booked to lose all the time? He set box office RECORDS, baby! They were hanging from the rafters to see The Great Khali beat the champion clean in three minutes. Non-title though...so...

People that insist on drinking half their life away, then complain when things don't go their way while when hard working people are out working, they sit on their couches and watch shows like The Jeremy Kyle Show (semi-popular show in Britain that features a hobbit host and fat inbreds most of the time, for those outside Britain).

Idiots that refuse to learn anything from mistakes made in life. Constantly in the media, you see young people that could make something of themselves in life but they are out drinking what ever it is these days.

Politicians and empty policies. A wise man once said "Voting in the general election is like voting for the electric chair, hanging and lethal injection. Three different things. Same result".

I'm not gonna quote all the posts but he'll yeah to corporal punishment for kiddies. I'm not saying you punch 'em in the eye but the belt never caused any permanent damage to me or my siblings.

I got caught shoplifting at tower records when I was like 14 and it was me and my friend. The security guards were giving us good cop bad cop and my friend was crying his ass off so they decided they need to be all tough with me. They asked me why I wasn't crying and I told them because there's nothing you can do to me that my mother won't do worse when she shows up and I just sat there and read my book. Sure enough mom came and got me gave a polite good by to security and beat the hell out of me all the way down the stairs and out the door in front of everyone. Suffice to say I never did that again.

I'm not gonna quote all the posts but he'll yeah to corporal punishment for kiddies. I'm not saying you punch 'em in the eye but the belt never caused any permanent damage to me or my siblings.

I got caught shoplifting at tower records when I was like 14 and it was me and my friend. The security guards were giving us good cop bad cop and my friend was crying his ass off so they decided they need to be all tough with me. They asked me why I wasn't crying and I told them because there's nothing you can do to me that my mother won't do worse when she shows up and I just sat there and read my book. Sure enough mom came and got me gave a polite good by to security and beat the hell out of me all the way down the stairs and out the door in front of everyone. Suffice to say I never did that again.

If that would have happened right now, your mother would probably be locked up for child abuse. Which is sad because I firmly believe that the best deterrent for a child is the fear of their parents beating them up. If you know that they are going to hit you, you will probably not be willing to do the bad thing.

'Sports Entertainment' grinds my gears... REALLY badly. I'd hate to think I was one of the aforementioned peeps who takes his interests way too seriously, but just about every non-ROH wrestling show I watch ends up setting my blood to a boil, (though I wish I had access to more, WWE, TNA, and ROH are the three promotions I watch regularly FTR).

NXT for example always makes me want to stand on my head and do fancy yo-yo tricks. Firstly, a one-hour show spending the first thirty minutes on a keg-carrying race or a promo-fest on such fascinating wrestling-related topics as flowers and rainbows and dried-up possum droppings... Then there's Daniel Bryan's losing streak, which I have frankly tired of. I can't help but think The Big Bad E is doing that on purpose to somehow discredit Bryan and the general greatness of independent wrestling. Then of course everyone (as well as Everyone's first cousin Marvin) quickly chimes in that this losing streak Bryan's on is just a way to set up his eventual match and likely US Title win against The MIZ.

Well, that's just AWESOME, (not unlike The MIZ). There's no better way to make a guy look a champion than have him lose every last one of his matches, (a couple in less than three minutes), all the while being relentlessly made fun of by AN ANNOUNCER, (and not even a heel colour commentator either, but 2010's Golden Dingleberry Award Winner Michael Cole!!!)

Yeah, man I have been REALLY trying to enjoy NXT but it just keeps getting more disappointing. I like that they have tried something different and I don't even mind the stuff like Keg Carrying contests, but Daniel Bryan is losing way too easily and way too often. It's bizarre, I am almost suspecting them to do a "he has been losing intentionally" storyline because I don't think I have seen anyone in the WWE in recent memory job so easily and so frequently. Trying to build up a guy as a wrestling machine who always loses is like trying to build up a midget as a monster heel.

I've heard the "this is all leading to something, why would WWE bury someone so talented?" argument, but well ... they've done it before and unless they have something really creative in the works, this isn't going to turn out well.

My job telling me company policy is now if I'm caught using my cell phone it's going to be taken from me, and I'll be written up.

...I'm sorry, I graduated high school, the next time I EVER hand over my personal property it'll be to the mofo' that's pulled a hand gun on me. I get the no cell phone rule I really do, but even coming up to me and telling me for any reason your going to take my personal property away from me is insulting. And anyone who'd be willing to, in my eyes, has no pride for themselves or any self-respect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

People that don't get what I'm trying to say with the above statement. I've been arguing it all day, and no one seems to get my point. Freaking sheep.

If that would have happened right now, your mother would probably be locked up for child abuse. Which is sad because I firmly believe that the best deterrent for a child is the fear of their parents beating them up. If you know that they are going to hit you, you will probably not be willing to do the bad thing.

I disagree, I think if you play your cards right you can do just as much damage/instill enough fear of a parent being emotionally upset/dissapointed in your actions. At least thats what I got growing up, and sure enough never did anything bad at all really... It actually makes me kinda sad I never did anything risque.

My job telling me company policy is now if I'm caught using my cell phone it's going to be taken from me, and I'll be written up.

...I'm sorry, I graduated high school, the next time I EVER hand over my personal property it'll be to the mofo' that's pulled a hand gun on me. I get the no cell phone rule I really do, but even coming up to me and telling me for any reason your going to take my personal property away from me is insulting. And anyone who'd be willing to, in my eyes, has no pride for themselves or any self-respect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

People that don't get what I'm trying to say with the above statement. I've been arguing it all day, and no one seems to get my point. Freaking sheep.

Really? How does anyone not get what you're saying? I get the no phone use policy on the job, which... honestly, is sort of a "duh" When you're working, it's their time, not yours. My job has the same policy in place, as far as no use/writing up if caught (not that people pay attention to it, still)

But, taking it away? I'm not fully sure that's even legal, is it? Wouldn't that be theft, in a way?

I disagree, I think if you play your cards right you can do just as much damage/instill enough fear of a parent being emotionally upset/dissapointed in your actions. At least thats what I got growing up, and sure enough never did anything bad at all really... It actually makes me kinda sad I never did anything risque.

I've heard people say this repeatedly, but I've never (NEVER) seen it actually be true. I might chalk it up to environment or background but I dunno. I've done some really dirty things in life (some of which the statute of limitations doesn't apply to) but I was never caught because the thought stayed in the front of my mind (not the back) of what would happen if I did get caught. Heck, Apupunchau, I actually got away with lifting the USS Flagg (the GI Joe Aircraft carrier) from a store, but it was planned out like freakin' Oceans Eleven.

My problem was, you couldn't ground me and expect that to be effective. I've always loved to read (and write) so I'd just go in my room, pick up a book and get to it. There'd be no pain or deterrent involved at all. Take my TV? I don't care. Oh look, she took my Atari and Colecovision. Guess I get to finish The Count of Monte Cristo now. *shrug* I had a hustle in middle school where I'd write book reports for people so you ground me and you actually HELP ME. :p

Really? How does anyone not get what you're saying? I get the no phone use policy on the job, which... honestly, is sort of a "duh" When you're working, it's their time, not yours. My job has the same policy in place, as far as no use/writing up if caught (not that people pay attention to it, still)

But, taking it away? I'm not fully sure that's even legal, is it? Wouldn't that be theft, in a way?

It's not theft if you hand it over willingly. That's where the 'sheep' part comes in. What they're doing is hedging your desire to stay employed with how much you value your phone. The unspoken threat is that if you don't hand it over, things could turn out badly for your employment prospects.

But it might have something to do with the vocation in question. A lot of times when I was under contract, I WISHED they'd ban cell phones, are you kidding? Line producers love to call and find out how costs can be reduced and they'll call whatever number they have to to get through ASAP. I'd shut mine off and toss it right into the backpack if I could. :p "No cell phones? WORD? THANK YOU!"

It's not theft if you hand it over willingly. That's where the 'sheep' part comes in. What they're doing is hedging your desire to stay employed with how much you value your phone. The unspoken threat is that if you don't hand it over, things could turn out badly for your employment prospects.

But it might have something to do with the vocation in question. A lot of times when I was under contract, I WISHED they'd ban cell phones, are you kidding? Line producers love to call and find out how costs can be reduced and they'll call whatever number they have to to get through ASAP. I'd shut mine off and toss it right into the backpack if I could. :p "No cell phones? WORD? THANK YOU!"

Ahhhh. Yeah, that's an excellent point.

The days I really started to hate my job, was when they started the "at least you have a job" bull. I mean, yeah, life could be worse, but, when you feel worthless, and have no love for what you do, and know you're going nowhere. You're supposed to be over joyed at your pittance?

I always love using very bad adjectives to replace their example, with mine. Which I can't really post here, what with my sailor talk and all.

I knew exactly ONE (1) kid that this worked on. He told me that he would screw up and his father would talk...and talk...and talk...for hours on end about how disappointed he was and everything else. So, to avoid the endless lecture, he stayed out of trouble. But, he was a smart person and a lot of what he father said probably sunk in, too. It seems like it would take a smart kid, a smart parent, and a block of free time.

He once said, "I wish he would just slap me upside the head, it'd be over faster and I bet you my head would hurt less anyway!"

I'll add more a little later but for now:

- I'll reiterate the point of people who fail at using a turn signal, but want to add something to that. People who fail at turning it off, especially on the highway. I can't stand being stuck behind someone for a few miles in the far right lane, with there right turn signal on and no exit in sight. Each time I hope they have a lapse in judgment and make a right turn, barring serious injury or death of course.

- Arguing on the internet. REALLY?!? Its so pointless, no one cares if you win. What truly amuses me though is when it comes to the point of I'll kick your you know what. Reply: I'd like to see you try I'm a (insert non existent Karate belt here.) Its even worse when they agree they're going to fight but live in two different countries separated by an ocean. I always hope they meet somewhere in the middle and drown in the ocean or get swallowed by a whale or something.

- Stupid people!

- People who pass judgment on a movie they haven't seen or music they haven't heard. To say that movie is dumb or that artist/band sux when they've never even seen/heard really grinds my gears.

- Having been a cook for most of my working life, and this is a big one: People who go out to eat. Order a steak. Then send it back because they don't know WTF they were ordering. They just ask for it because it sounds good. I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to redo a steak that was ordered medium because " this has too much pink in it. "

- Now being a bartender I have one to add to that. IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO TIP, YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO GO OUT. I'm not saying you have to tip a lot just leave something. A good rule to follow is if it comes down to getting one more shot/beer/drink or a tip, ALWAYS go with the tip.

- Tyler Perry. More specifically how all of his movies are portrayed as comedies and then you get maybe 15 minutes of actual comedy from the movie the rest is my life is so hard dribble. The last money I'll ever waste on him was when me and my girlfriend at the time went to see Medea goes to jail. The movie should never have been called that because her being in jail seemed like a sub sub plot of the movie. I spent 1 hour and 15 minutes staring at the exit sign thinking of how much trouble i would get in if I just bolted. because of this I say F Tyler Perry.

- The fact that the A Hole who " invented " (air quotes and all) the snuggie is a f'n multi billionaire. He didn't invent the dammed blanket. Why is he rich?

well i guess i got on a tangent there so I probably won't be adding more we'll see.

- Now being a bartender I have one to add to that. IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO TIP, YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO GO OUT. I'm not saying you have to tip a lot just leave something. A good rule to follow is if it comes down to getting one more shot/beer/drink or a tip, ALWAYS go with the tip.

Dude? You are saying people need to give YOU money, instead of doing something that would satisfy themselves. Isn't it the same if a bum is waiting outside the shop and asks money from a guy, and the guy comes out of the shop with an ice cream and the bum says: "if you can't afford giving me money, you can't afford buying anything!!!11"

- Tyler Perry. More specifically how all of his movies are portrayed as comedies and then you get maybe 15 minutes of actual comedy from the movie the rest is my life is so hard dribble. The last money I'll ever waste on him was when me and my girlfriend at the time went to see Medea goes to jail. The movie should never have been called that because her being in jail seemed like a sub sub plot of the movie. I spent 1 hour and 15 minutes staring at the exit sign thinking of how much trouble i would get in if I just bolted. because of this I say F Tyler Perry. .

Sorry to nitpick...but it's "drivel", not "dribble."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dribble

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/drivel -- See definition number two.

Dude? You are saying people need to give YOU money, instead of doing something that would satisfy themselves. Isn't it the same if a bum is waiting outside the shop and asks money from a guy, and the guy comes out of the shop with an ice cream and the bum says: "if you can't afford giving me money, you can't afford buying anything!!!11"

Not exactly the same thing. You can ignore the bum who wants you money just for the sake of wanting your money. Being a bartender or even a server for that matter we work based on tips, which and most people aren't aware of this is an acronym. TIPS - To Insure Proper Services. The only difference is as a bartender in a non corporate based company I don't have to serve you just like you don't have to tip me. I like most people I know in the service industry view not being tipped as an insult or saying we suck at our job. So the people who don't tip I act like I suck at my job. It will either take upwards of 20 minutes for a drink if they even get one at all.

My problem was, you couldn't ground me and expect that to be effective. I've always loved to read (and write) so I'd just go in my room, pick up a book and get to it. There'd be no pain or deterrent involved at all. Take my TV? I don't care. Oh look, she took my Atari and Colecovision. Guess I get to finish The Count of Monte Cristo now. *shrug* I had a hustle in middle school where I'd write book reports for people so you ground me and you actually HELP ME. :p

I was the same way. I was put in my room for whatever I did. I would read, write, or draw for hours. It drove my parents nuts because they said I learned nothing of my mistakes.

What they failed to realize is I learned how to NOT get caught. :p

I'll add more a little later but for now:

- Arguing on the internet. REALLY?!? Its so pointless, no one cares if you win. What truly amuses me though is when it comes to the point of I'll kick your you know what. Reply: I'd like to see you try I'm a (insert non existent Karate belt here.) Its even worse when they agree they're going to fight but live in two different countries separated by an ocean. I always hope they meet somewhere in the middle and drown in the ocean or get swallowed by a whale or something.

- Stupid people!

- Having been a cook for most of my working life, and this is a big one: People who go out to eat. Order a steak. Then send it back because they don't know WTF they were ordering. They just ask for it because it sounds good. I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to redo a steak that was ordered medium because " this has too much pink in it. "

All of these make me so mad as well. Fighting on the internet ties into the whole *stupid people* thing.

FlameSnoopy you misunderstand what he says. As a bartender it is his job to make drinks and such for people. Do you go to a restaurant and not tip the waitress? No that is rude. If you want to have your drinks and not tip people then go to the liquor store buy your alcohol and make your own drinks.

you tip the waitress for bringing you food. The cook does all the work yet the waitress gets the money.

So you would tip someone who just carries your food to you and not a person who takes care and makes the drink YOU ordered the way YOU like.

I'm not saying the waitress doesn't' deserve the tip as well, just making a point.

As a social drinker I always tip the bartender. It's common sense, as well as saying *hey you made an awesome drink*.

Not exactly the same thing. You can ignore the bum who wants you money just for the sake of wanting your money. Being a bartender or even a server for that matter we work based on tips, which and most people aren't aware of this is an acronym. TIPS - To Insure Proper Services. The only difference is as a bartender in a non corporate based company I don't have to serve you just like you don't have to tip me. I like most people I know in the service industry view not being tipped as an insult or saying we suck at our job. So the people who don't tip I act like I suck at my job. It will either take upwards of 20 minutes for a drink if they even get one at all.

Good job clearing it up, understood it now, and it does make sense too :)