What grinds your gears?

brashleyholland

Dude? You are saying people need to give YOU money, instead of doing something that would satisfy themselves. Isn't it the same if a bum is waiting outside the shop and asks money from a guy, and the guy comes out of the shop with an ice cream and the bum says: "if you can't afford giving me money, you can't afford buying anything!!!11"

Tipping a bartender or waiter is totally different than giving money to some one for nothing, at least in the US (and I think Canada). I know in a some European countries people don't tip but that's usually because Bartenders and Waiters there get paid a decent wage. In the US Bartenders and Waiters are paid with the assumption they are making a lot of their money on tips, which means their actual wages payed by the establishment are under minimum wage which is allowed by law if you have a job where you make money by getting tipped.

So yes tip your bartender, especially if you expect to be served in a timely manner. If you don't mind piss poor service then by all means don't tip. Personally I tip $2 for the first two or three drinks, usually makes the bartender remember you then $1 a drink after that, $2 if I get a buyback. Being a good tipper means getting a free drinks more often, if I'm a regular I usually get one every 3rd drink at a new bar every 4th, which is pretty good cause most bar owners will tell their staff no buy backs or every 5th or 6th drink.

So yeah if you can't tip don't go to the bar, unless your a regular and you really need a beer, having one bad day at your regular bar means the bartender will understand that your strapped and in a bad mood. But if you can't afford to tip then drinking at home is your best bet as your paying less for beer and you don't have to tip the guy at the corner store.

edit: Typing and helping customers means I got beat too it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you tip the waitress for bringing you food. The cook does all the work yet the waitress gets the money.

The cook usually gets paid over minimum wage but the tips from the waiter also get split with the busboy who busses their tables much like the bartenders tips get split with the bar back who keeps the bar clean, restocks the beers and changes the kegs.

The cook usually gets paid over minimum wage but the tips from the waiter also get split with the busboy who busses their tables much like the bartenders tips get split with the bar back who keeps the bar clean, restocks the beers and changes the kegs.

Yes in most places yes. Generally when you just go for a quick bite at a diner it is usually the waitress who does it all. Like I said I don't mean that you don't tip the waitress. I usually give a pretty generous tip because they don't make much money and tend to do a lot of work.

I have had waitresses who don't deserve the tip though.

I have had waitresses who don't deserve the tip though.

Understandable. I have had this as well but usually I'll still leave something minimal. When I was a teenager and I thought I was getting bad service I would do mean things like leaving the tip under and upside down glass of water but I grew out of that.

Understandable. I have had this as well but usually I'll still leave something minimal. When I was a teenager and I thought I was getting bad service I would do mean things like leaving the tip under and upside down glass of water but I grew out of that.

I use to leave pennies. Of course that was when I was a teen. MANY years ago. :p (geez I feel old now)

When I befriended a waitress and I found out what she went through to support her young child at the ripe age of 17 I understood why some came in grumpy or had bad tempers when they served people.

I was with a friend a few weeks ago at a diner.

The waitress NEVER refilled our glasses after being asked too. She actually sat at a booth behind us talking to another couple of people who were her friends.

The worst of it all was that I don't eat all my food EVER. I gave my fries to my friend. He was about to eat them (they were sitting RIGHT in front of him) and the waitress took them. Just took them away. I was like whoa!

We never did get refills. Desert took forever to arrive and it was wrong. ??

Needless to say the tip she received was very low.

Race pimps

I don't know if this is what you meant by it or not but it reminded me of another thing, and its actually one of my biggest. Can't believe I forgot it

- People who think they're in the Fast and Furious movies. With tricked out rides, spoilers are the worst. I just can't see spending good money on a car or extra parts for a car, just to have it sound like a moped.

- People who make the tires squeal on purpose because they think its cool, I always make the comment even at the ripe old age of 25 " I want to be just like that guy when I grow up. "

- People who have a $2,000 stereo system in a car that isn't worth $200 dollars. If you're trunk rattles louder than the bass hits, get rid of the system.

as an added bonus

- People who wear sunglasses inside at a bar or club.

- Grills. Not the kind you cook on. Not the grill on your vehicle. I'm talking about the grills people put in their mouths. Another waste of money in my honest opinion. If you have enough money to waste to make it look like you haven't brushed your teeth since the day they grew in, you have too much money.

Probably the biggest pet peeve of them all I have is

- People who use the word noob. Whats worse is they use it as a way to try and insult someone. I had to break it down to someone one time. Long story short. The word people is NEW it isn't spelled NOO. By using this ignorant form or and insult you are calling someone a NOOBIE it is in fact NEWBIE. Therefore the logical shortening of the word would be NEWB not NOOB. So please I implore everyone of the internet gaming world to at least learn proper English, Grammar and Spelling before you try to insult someone for playing a game where at every point in time everyone was NEW to.

- Grills. Not the kind you cook on. Not the grill on your vehicle. I'm talking about the grills people put in their mouths. Another waste of money in my honest opinion. If you have enough money to waste to make it look like you haven't brushed your teeth since the day they grew in, you have too much money.

not realyy that it does or does not bother me but I went to High School with this kid who was one of hip hop kids and he was into that style and i used to hang with the goth kids all into vampires and stuff. He was kinda interested in the vampire stuff as well and he got him self a top grill that had fangs, it was kinda cool.

- People who use the word noob. Whats worse is they use it as a way to try and insult someone. I had to break it down to someone one time. Long story short. The word people is NEW it isn't spelled NOO. By using this ignorant form or and insult you are calling someone a NOOBIE it is in fact NEWBIE. Therefore the logical shortening of the word would be NEWB not NOOB. So please I implore everyone of the internet gaming world to at least learn proper English, Grammar and Spelling before you try to insult someone for playing a game where at every point in time everyone was NEW to.

L33t speak. I think you're just going to have to get used to it, much like Ebonics its not going away. As a matter of fact there's some guy who did his thesis paper on linguistics at some ivy league school and wrote the whole paper in L33t speak to boot. I understand the sentiment though as I hate being "aksed" a question which always sounds like "Axed" to me but according to a friend who's got a degree in linguistics its "aksed".

I don't know if this is what you meant by it or not but it reminded me of another thing, and its actually one of my biggest. Can't believe I forgot it

- People who think they're in the Fast and Furious movies. With tricked out rides, spoilers are the worst. I just can't see spending good money on a car or extra parts for a car, just to have it sound like a moped.

- People who make the tires squeal on purpose because they think its cool, I always make the comment even at the ripe old age of 25 " I want to be just like that guy when I grow up. "

- People who have a $2,000 stereo system in a car that isn't worth $200 dollars. If you're trunk rattles louder than the bass hits, get rid of the system.

as an added bonus

- People who wear sunglasses inside at a bar or club.

This whole thing made me laugh. The bolded made me laugh the most though.

I am not one to correct ones mistakes as I am not good with grammar at all.

I am with you though. People who try to correct others mistakes when in fact they have no clue what they are talking about is pretty annoying. :D

Though annoying, those are not the race pimps I was referring to. I was referring to those people who only try to create tension/conflicts between races. These are the same kind of people who think everything is racist and are thus diluting the meaning of the word.

But the race pimps you mention are highly annoying. Like people who modify their Civics. Dude, that car is made to go get groceries, not race.

Though annoying, those are not the race pimps I was referring to. I was referring to those people who only try to create tension/conflicts between races. These are the same kind of people who think everything is racist and are thus diluting the meaning of the word.

Spike Lee.

Good God, I've talked to everyone arround me about the cell phone thing and the only response I get is "you shouldn't have it out in the first place" and every time I'm like "THATS NOT THE POINT! THE HOLY HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!"

And the boss was shocked when I told her I'd lose a days pay over it if I came to it (Can't be fired because of the union, I hate unions for this exact reason but hell I'm paying for it I may as well use it). Now I'm no fool. This is a matter of pride and selfrespect, and at a certain position/monetary level I'd sell my values and be a "prostitute". But they ain't paying me anywhere near that kind of cash nor do I care about my grocery cashier job enough that it goes before my ability to be proud of myself.

You know what grinds my gears? The sad sacks that are middle aged and have been working this job for the past ten years and have convinced themselves that block of time with the company is worth something or something to be proud of. <.< I don't care if one has pride in their work but don't kid yourself five seconds that you couldn't be replaced by any schmuck off the street, and don't try and make me feel bad that I realize the job is what it is. Pushing buttons.

The aggravating thing is I like what I do for the amount I get paid, it's easy, comfortable. I've been doing it for two years. I'm not a buddy-buddy person but the co-workers I have aren't jerks for the most part. I really don't want to leave, but I can't bring myself to work for a company that would be willing to do this to their employees, I can't justify it. Especially when I've been sitting on a security license for the past year and could be making a (barely) living wage.

I knew exactly ONE (1) kid that this worked on. He told me that he would screw up and his father would talk...and talk...and talk...for hours on end about how disappointed he was and everything else. So, to avoid the endless lecture, he stayed out of trouble. But, he was a smart person and a lot of what he father said probably sunk in, too. It seems like it would take a smart kid, a smart parent, and a block of free time.

He once said, "I wish he would just slap me upside the head, it'd be over faster and I bet you my head would hurt less anyway!"

My mother would do the exact opposite, she'd refuse to talk to me for hours until she felt better. Perhaps it does depend on the individual child but for me it was enough that I didn't want any trouble. I didn't like my parents being mad at me.

I actually think beating me would do the exact opposite. Because A. I knew no matter what my parents weren't crazy so they wouldn't kill me and B. I knew I could take whatever they dished out.

Tipping a bartender or waiter is totally different than giving money to some one for nothing, at least in the US (and I think Canada). I know in a some European countries people don't tip but that's usually because Bartenders and Waiters there get paid a decent wage. In the US Bartenders and Waiters are paid with the assumption they are making a lot of their money on tips, which means their actual wages payed by the establishment are under minimum wage which is allowed by law if you have a job where you make money by getting tipped.

So yes tip your bartender, especially if you expect to be served in a timely manner. If you don't mind piss poor service then by all means don't tip. Personally I tip $2 for the first two or three drinks, usually makes the bartender remember you then $1 a drink after that, $2 if I get a buyback. Being a good tipper means getting a free drinks more often, if I'm a regular I usually get one every 3rd drink at a new bar every 4th, which is pretty good cause most bar owners will tell their staff no buy backs or every 5th or 6th drink.

So yeah if you can't tip don't go to the bar, unless your a regular and you really need a beer, having one bad day at your regular bar means the bartender will understand that your strapped and in a bad mood. But if you can't afford to tip then drinking at home is your best bet as your paying less for beer and you don't have to tip the guy at the corner store.

edit: Typing and helping customers means I got beat too it.

Whats your opinions of tipping at a buffet? Me and my girl actually got into an awkward situation with a waitress over this, and I left her 75cents after she made a big deal about it. It wasn't even one of those places where they refill the drinks, they just go and get you a can of coke. But after that mishap I started tipping at the buffets I attend regularly.

What annoys me, is that they expect 15% of the bill. Don't expect jake shiz! If I want to give you a tip it's because you earned it not because you're entitled to it. How the hell does the government allow this nonsense anyway? If their employers were cheap bastards we wouldn't have this problem.

I don't go to bars, so thats not really an issue for me.

Why do you need a cell phone ON THE CLOCK when you should be helping customers?

Really? Did you really just ask me that? *SIGH* "THATS NOT THE POINT! THE HOLY HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!" Blah Blah Blah

That's not the issue. The issue is they have the audacity to say to me their going to take my personal property away. No, your right, it shouldn't be out. If I'm caught I should be written up for it. But unless some mofo' got a gun on me I'm not handing over my property over.

Why do you need a cell phone ON THE CLOCK when you should be helping customers?

In case my sister calls and needs me to go get her kids while she's in class. In case my mom ends up in the hospital again. I need cell phone just in case. Ya know what I manage people at a small shop and I would never tell them they can't have their phones on them. they're adults I expect them to know when the time is to use the phone and when its not. If you give your employees that amount of respect, they'll respect you back. Which is why if my employees need to make or take a call they come up and say "hey I need to take this" or "Can I take five minutes to make a call".

Whats your opinions of tipping at a buffet? Me and my girl actually got into an awkward situation with a waitress over this, and I left her 75cents after she made a big deal about it. It wasn't even one of those places where they refill the drinks, they just go and get you a can of coke. But after that mishap I started tipping at the buffets I attend regularly.

What annoys me, is that they expect 15% of the bill. Don't expect jake shiz! If I want to give you a tip it's because you earned it not because you're entitled to it. How the hell does the government allow this nonsense anyway? If their employers were cheap bastards we wouldn't have this problem.

I don't go to bars, so thats not really an issue for me.

I don't go to buffets so I don't have first hand knowledge. For crappy service I'll still tip 5% for on average serves I tip 10%. If I get good to great service I'll tip 15% to 20% atht's jsut my rule of thumb.

As for expecting it because of the way the dynamics of how they make money it has become expected to be tipped. But really I say if you're going to work a tipping job then do the job well enough that its worth you being tipped.

As for government and the laws I don't know. I'm just glad I live in a state that has a minimum wage higher than the federal minimum (there are only a handful that do) and there are even some states that have States laws in place that allow for no or lower minimum wage, so really its not just the fed its states exerting states rights. But knowing how things work I tip because even if I don't like your service I don't like the idea of people not being aple to pay there rent went a dollar or two extra out of everyone they served would have brought them up to minimum wage.

If the phone is not out during your shift, no one is going to take it for you having one. In your case, check it on your break and not at any other time. Problem solved.

If my mom's husband calls and says she's going into the hospital I need to be able to answer my phone then and there. If my sister calls and says my brother got held up and I need to run and get the kids from the sitter because I'm closest then I'm answering my phone. My expectation of my employees which has been met to date is that you know the difference between an emergency call and not. You see you're buddies number on the screen you put your phone back in your pocket, your with a customer you wait til you're done and call back. If its your mom and you pick up for a second find out its not an emergency and say I can't talk now then that's fine too.

Really? Did you really just ask me that? *SIGH* "THATS NOT THE POINT! THE HOLY HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!" Blah Blah Blah

That's not the issue. The issue is they have the audacity to say to me their going to take my personal property away. No, your right, it shouldn't be out. If I'm caught I should be written up for it. But unless some mofo' got a gun on me I'm not handing over my property over.

If my mom's husband calls and says she's going into the hospital I need to be able to answer my phone then and there. If my sister calls and says my brother got held up and I need to run and get the kids from the sitter because I'm closest then I'm answering my phone. My expectation of my employees which has been met to date is that you know the difference between an emergency call and not. You see you're buddies number on the screen you put your phone back in your pocket, your with a customer you wait til you're done and call back. If its your mom and you pick up for a second find out its not an emergency and say I can't talk now then that's fine too.

Ok. I agree with you on a few points.

1. No they can't take your phone from you. I have done some digging on line and in NO state in the U.S are they allowed to take a cell phone from you in there own personal business. They can however ask you to leave.

2. Many people carry phones for emergency reasons. No one can fault you for that.

Now with that being said, I may have missed it because well there was a lot to read up on.

Were you ON the phone during working hours? I know that sounds like a silly question but it's not. I ask this because my brother works for the state here. They are not allowed to ahve cell phones out during the working hours BUT well lets face it 85+ percent of people over the age of 10 have a cell phone. Plus he has a pregnant fiance. He uses his phone to talk to her and stuff when she is not sleeping (she works night shift).

I agree with what someone said about checking during breaks. If you have a specific need for the phone like your mothers health or whatnot. Keep the phone on vibrate and ONLY answer if it is something of importance.

I say this because I have gone to places where I am waiting in line and SOMEONE either the cashier or person buying stuff is on the phone. It annoys the hell out of me because I just want to pay for my stuff and leave.

Were you ON the phone during working hours? I know that sounds like a silly question but it's not. I ask this because my brother works for the state here. They are not allowed to ahve cell phones out during the working hours BUT well lets face it 85+ percent of people over the age of 10 have a cell phone. Plus he has a pregnant fiance. He uses his phone to talk to her and stuff when she is not sleeping (she works night shift).

I agree with what someone said about checking during breaks. If you have a specific need for the phone like your mothers health or whatnot. Keep the phone on vibrate and ONLY answer if it is something of importance.

I say this because I have gone to places where I am waiting in line and SOMEONE either the cashier or person buying stuff is on the phone. It annoys the hell out of me because I just want to pay for my stuff and leave.

I manage a bookshop and yes I'll take a phone call when I'm on the clock, but only within reason. If I'm behind the register I won't touch my phone especially if there are customers there, I won't do it I expect my employees not to and they don't. If you were in a shop were an employee was talking on the phone at the register then management is not doing their job.

Here's how I work it.

1) If you get a phone call while you're doing something that doesn't involve helping a customer then by all means take the phone out of your pocket and see who it is. If its your mom, or your child or some one else who could be calling you for an important reason then pick it up. If its your buddy and you know he's just calling to ask you about going out later then don't

2) If you have a customer or are working register then let it ring and finish what you were doing and then ask me for a minute to return a phone call.

3) If you know its a BS call I'd prefer you actually wait for your break instead of asking for a minute to make a call, but truth is I'll never know but I give my employees the benefit of the doubt and as far as I can tell they haven't been taking advantage of it (if the number of times I'm asked to have a minute for a call is any indication.)

I manage a bookshop and yes I'll take a phone call when I'm on the clock, but only within reason. If I'm behind the register I won't touch my phone especially if there are customers there, I won't do it I expect my employees not to and they don't. If you were in a shop were an employee was talking on the phone at the register then management is not doing their job.

Here's how I work it.

1) If you get a phone call while you're doing something that doesn't involve helping a customer then by all means take the phone out of your pocket and see who it is. If its your mom, or your child or some one else who could be calling you for an important reason then pick it up. If its your buddy and you know he's just calling to ask you about going out later then don't

2) If you have a customer or are working register then let it ring and finish what you were doing and then ask me for a minute to return a phone call.

3) If you know its a BS call I'd prefer you actually wait for your break instead of asking for a minute to make a call, but truth is I'll never know but I give my employees the benefit of the doubt and as far as I can tell they haven't been taking advantage of it (if the number of times I'm asked to have a minute for a call is any indication.)

I absolutely agree with you. There are times when taking a call is more important then your job.

A few years ago I was in a nail salon that I went to often. A newer girl was doing my nails and well she got a phone call. Long story short. She cut my nails WAY to short and I had to have acrylic nails put on. ( I use to be vain)

The worst part of it was she expected me to pay the 72 dollars for the set.

I spoke to her manager and told them. Look I told her not to cut them short. The manager said I should have been paying attention. I was like well ask the person she was on the phone with because I know they heard me yelling at the b****....:D

Your policy on phone use seems like a very good one. I would agree with you on how it works.

At the risk of being controversial, I really don't agree with the notion that you *should* tip.

If I go to the pub for a pint, I'm paying four times what it would cost me to buy a can of lager from my local store, just for the privilege of drinking out. I'm not obliged to chuck the barman an extra quid for pouring it for me, that's what he gets paid for. You don't tip in McDonalds, you don't tip in the supermarket when someone shows you which isle the instant noodles are in and you don't tip when someone helps you try on shoes.

I've never had a barman/maid not serve me for any length in a quiet pub/bar because I didn't tip. If the bar is busy then you expect it, or move to the next place.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not adverse to tipping. If I go out for a meal, I always leave 10% bare minimum if the service was good, and more if it was great. Similarly, if I go to a ****tail bar and get a really good drinks all night, I'll always throw something on the tab. Even on a weeknight down my local, I'll often tell the barmaid "Same again, and one for yourself" when it's my round, because I know her well and it's polite...but I never feel obliged to tip. Why should ? The fact that *you* rely on tips is your problem, not mine.

The "If you can't afford to tip, don't drink out" really grinds my gears actually. I have a friend who works for the local govt as a street sweeper. He has no education and a host of issues that mean acquiring a manual trade just isn't going to happen. He has little disposable income, but he cherishes his evenings in the pub, the only place he gets any social time. He takes £9 with him every time he goes, and has four pints of cheep ale and 2 packets of crisps. He, like many others on a budget, can't afford to tip. Should he not drink at a bar?

They have a good system in a lot of the local bars I used to go to in Holland. The barman would often keep a very small glass (just a mouthful or two) at the bar with them. When you buy a round of beer and offer the barman one, he fills his small glass and fills it, adding a euro or so to your tab. Again, it's not rude not to do it.

From my experience it's very, very different in the states though. Whenever I'm out there I notice that everyone feels obliged to tip...but I'm guessing that has to do with the law on employers being allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage.

I still feel that someone in the service trade should 'earn' their tip though, rather than expecting it.