Newbie to the game, just got it today. Just recently got into MMA, and started a game with my friend as president of UFC. First card we booked had 7 matches. One was poor, another was average, and the other 5 were all great or fantastic. Yet at the end of the PPV, I was told our card rating was awful??? How did that work?

The match ratings are their excitement level. The final rating is the quality of the card in terms of drawing fans. They are not the same thing. You could run a show with seven amazingly exciting fights, but if all the fighters are completely unknown it's not going to draw fans in.

I suggest reading the help file that comes with the game, as this is explained in detail there and will help you.

The match ratings are their excitement level. The final rating is the quality of the card in terms of drawing fans. They are not the same thing. You could run a show with seven amazingly exciting fights, but if all the fighters are completely unknown it's not going to draw fans in.

I suggest reading the help file that comes with the game, as this is explained in detail there and will help you.

Wouldn't the attendance tell you all you needed to know about whether it was successful in drawing fans? I don't get it.

• 4 weeks later...

See, my problem with this is that if I went to an MMA event where I knew nobody on the card and all the fights were amazingly exciting, I would not only go to the next event, but I would tell all of my friends about the badass MMA card I just saw.

I think their should be a structure for how shows work in the next game. Match ratings should play a much larger role in the event that there's a new game.

See, my problem with this is that if I went to an MMA event where I knew nobody on the card and all the fights were amazingly exciting, I would not only go to the next event, but I would tell all of my friends about the badass MMA card I just saw.

I think their should be a structure for how shows work in the next game. Match ratings should play a much larger role in the event that there's a new game.

The problem with that logic is that you are already there. What Mr. Ryland is saying, is that most people won't go to an MMA event if they don't care about anyone on the card. Sure, people will go, but not as many as if you had someone fans knew and cared about.

That's what drawing power is. When a fighter has name value, more people will come in to see that particular fighter. When it's a card full of unknowns, you get a lot less people showing up, simply because more casual fans won't go out of their way to get to it.

In short, it doesn't matter how good the fights were, because people aren't going to know to expect amazing fights if they don't know anything about the fighters.

If you go to the show, and then tell all your friends how awesome it was, you're building the popularity of the fighters/promotion, and increasing the draw for the next show, having no effect on the draw of the show you saw yourself.

Ok, but if I'm already there, along with three to four hundred other attendees, and we've all just witnessed the best night of MMA ever...the hype machine is going to roll.

The card could have absolutely zero known fighters. But if every fight is an excellent fight. Your arena attendance should double, I think.

There should be some kind of increase-decrease effect.

If your card has zero name value and you have say 9,000 PPV buys and 300 in the arena and all of the fights are excellent, I could maybe understand PPV numbers decreasing, but arena attendance picking up.

I just don't think name value should be as big of a factor determining the card.

I guess here's what I'm trying to say. When I'm setting up a card and clicking Fan Feedback, if the fans see the main event as being Very Poor, I can totally understand that. While I expect that to have an effect on my PPV buyrate and arena attendance, if the actual show has seven fights that all range from Great to Excellent, the overall show rating shouldn't still remain at being Awful or Poor just because the Main and Co-Main were ill-received.

It's like UFC 102. That card saw a huge dip in buyrates compared to UFC 100 and UFC 101 because the main event was deemed unfitting. However, UFC 102 was considered one of the best UFC cards of the latter-half of 2009 by the time Nogueira vs. Couture concluded.

Ok, but if I'm already there, along with three to four hundred other attendees, and we've all just witnessed the best night of MMA ever...the hype machine is going to roll.

The card could have absolutely zero known fighters. But if every fight is an excellent fight. Your arena attendance should double, I think.

There should be some kind of increase-decrease effect.

If your card has zero name value and you have say 9,000 PPV buys and 300 in the arena and all of the fights are excellent, I could maybe understand PPV numbers decreasing, but arena attendance picking up.

I just don't think name value should be as big of a factor determining the card.

I guess here's what I'm trying to say. When I'm setting up a card and clicking Fan Feedback, if the fans see the main event as being Very Poor, I can totally understand that. While I expect that to have an effect on my PPV buyrate and arena attendance, if the actual show has seven fights that all range from Great to Excellent, the overall show rating shouldn't still remain at being Awful or Poor just because the Main and Co-Main were ill-received.

It's like UFC 102. That card saw a huge dip in buyrates compared to UFC 100 and UFC 101 because the main event was deemed unfitting. However, UFC 102 was considered one of the best UFC cards of the latter-half of 2009 by the time Nogueira vs. Couture concluded.

Better in terms of the actual fights perhaps, but it still had relatively light attendance and as you pointed out lower buyrates, as I recall, due to the fact that people just didn't care. the overall card rating in WMMA2 is a representation of the drawing power. And if you and the 400 other people go to the fight, you telling all your friends about it is only going to make the next show draw better, it won't help the show you just sat through. At least that's my understanding of it.

Excitement levels for fights are based on the crowd in attendance, and the overall card rating is how many people the card drew in the first place. The drawing power and therefore overall card rating have nothing to do with how good the fights actually are, it has everything to do with how good the fans expect them to be. Some fights that aren't expected to do well do amazing, and some fights that are expected to be amazing suck. In the former, people are less likely to go to the show because they aren't expecting it to be worth it, but probably wish they would have after the fact, and in the latter, well, people go home disappointed. The actual excitement of the fight, again, does not affect draw power in the least. It's all about what it's expected to produce.

edit: Addendum.

Oh god yes, I just had to force myself into chosing between a great co-mainevent or a decent main event and ended up with a very poor rating on my card even if the main event was rated fantastic and most undercard matches where ranging from good to fantastic I still saw a dip from 28% national to 16% in my main region... I mean, what the hell?

Oh god yes, I just had to force myself into chosing between a great co-mainevent or a decent main event and ended up with a very poor rating on my card even if the main event was rated fantastic and most undercard matches where ranging from good to fantastic I still saw a dip from 28% national to 16% in my main region... I mean, what the hell?

The thing is, you won't always be perfect in this game. You will have to deal with disappointing the fans a little and experiencing a drop in popularity, make it up in your next show. It’s like life, sometimes no matter what you do, you end up disappointing some people. Just deal with it.

The thing is, you won't always be perfect in this game. You will have to deal with disappointing the fans a little and experiencing a drop in popularity, make it up in your next show. It’s like life, sometimes no matter what you do, you end up disappointing some people. Just deal with it.

But its illogical, I have 100% international popularity in two region and lose popularity because i chose to put on a decent main and co-main event that got fantastic and great ratings..

That is what doesnt make sense to me, have the outcome of your card be affected by the outcome of your matches too.

But its illogical, I have 100% international popularity in two region and lose popularity because i chose to put on a decent main and co-main event that got fantastic and great ratings..

That is what doesnt make sense to me, have the outcome of your card be affected by the outcome of your matches too.

It's difficult (nearly impossible) to maintain 100% international popularity throughout infinity. In your case, your show was rated poorly because your main event did not generate the kind of buzz that warrants such a high level of company popularity.

The good news is, since you lost popularity, your next show your audience will have lower expectations and it will be easier to put on a buzz worthy main event and your popularity will most likely bounce back.

You need to accept that the card is rated on popularity and not quality of fights. While it might not feel satisfying to put on a awful rated card, it’s not the end of the world. Just continue to “push” the popular (as opposed to the exciting) fighters and the show rating will naturally increase.

It might not seem fair to you, but it's how the game works. I, for one like it because in reality, people are fickle. The game does a good job of relfecting that fickle nature.

It's difficult (nearly impossible) to maintain 100% international popularity throughout infinity.

Atm ive only had this problem once, got a huge bunch of top fighters in every weightclass and hold PPV's every other month, earn around 7 million dollars a month on merch :D

How is it illogical?

Adam has defended this many times, and I actually agree with it mostly. I mean, you could make the greatest fight card of all time technically, but if no one watches it, who really cares? The UFC is really popular, but even they have to put on fight cards that only the true die hard fans would want to purchase every month. Not every UFC card does giant buyrates, and I think this game simulates that very well.

It's a balancing act. You may not like the game telling you that your fight card sucks, but you seriously just have to live with it.

The thing with the UFC though is despite the buy rates being up and down their live attendance is almost always good.One other thing,to me it's the wording I just wish it told me I had good or bad attendance instead of telling me I had an awful show.

Not every UFC card does giant buyrates, and I think this game simulates that very well.

Not at all, every card can have devestating effects on your reputation, that is the difference between this game and real life, yes the UFC will put on PPV's that some people feel they dont wanna spend 40$ or whatever on, but it does not mean they stop folloing the promotion, thats what annoys me.

My recent one was

Nate Marquardt vs Anderson Silva (for the MW title) (silva won and fantastic)

Rashad Evans vs Mauricio Rua (Evans won and Great)

Joe Duarte vs Diego Sanchez (Sanchez and Good)

Mirko Filipovic vs Aleksander Emelianenko (Alex and Great)

Anthony Johnson vs Karo Parisyan (Parisyan and Fantastic)

all were fights fans wanted to see and even my perlims were fights fans wanted to see with ratings of Fan., Fan., Decent, Fan., Decent

and I still got an awful card

The thing with the UFC though is despite the buy rates being up and down their live attendance is almost always good.One other thing,to me it's the wording I just wish it told me I had good or bad attendance instead of telling me I had an awful show.

Not true. They've really struggled for consistency for the last 12 months. Even in Vegas, which is their 'home town'. Check these Vegas numbers out....

UFC 106 - 6,631 paid attendance, 3,898 tickets given away.

UFC 108 - 8,004 paid attendance, 4,373 tickets given away.

I bought the game today, installed the Tap or Snap mod (really good mod from what I've seen so far, thumbs up!) and I was just going to post a topic exactly the same as this.

This is my first WMMA game, so I literally know nothing about the game, what works and what doesn't work, which stats work well with certain other stats etc etc.

But for my first game I chose UFC and held my first fight card. I decided to go with Brock Lesnar vs Shane Carwin for the heavyweight title as the main event, and Shogun Rua vs Forrest Griffin for the light-heavy title as the co-main event. The fans opinion was that both of these match ups would be 'fantastic' or words to that effect.

Also, I put on a bunch of undercard fights and made sure that for every single one, the fans approved of the fight and said they would like to see it etc.

One or two of my fights were classed as 'average' or 'decent' but the majority were good or fantastic.

Yet when I get to my post event analysis, it tells me my event was 'very poor'. I don't understand how that can happen if my two main event fights went down a treat totally, I presumed the main events would take up a sizeable chunk of the overall rating like they do in TEW 2010?

It's just strange seeing all the individual fight ratings pretty good or excellent, but the show rating being so embarassingly bad. I have read this whole thread and picked up a few things from it, but I still don't understand how this can be logical?

I have to say though, I love the game so far, very much a pick up and play type of game for me. You can go into as much or as little detail as you prefer, I like the 'live' fight engine, and overall I'm glad I bought it.

I just hope I can pick up some advice here about this, because my popularity in America has absolutely plummeted as a result of this 'very poor' show. Is it purely the fact that some of my fighters on this show have not got massive popularity?

Not true. They've really struggled for consistency for the last 12 months. Even in Vegas, which is their 'home town'. Check these Vegas numbers out....

UFC 106 - 6,631 paid attendance, 3,898 tickets given away.

UFC 108 - 8,004 paid attendance, 4,373 tickets given away.

If their tickets didn't cost an arm and a b*****k they wouldn't need to give so many away.

I bought the game today, installed the Tap or Snap mod (really good mod from what I've seen so far, thumbs up!) and I was just going to post a topic exactly the same as this.

This is my first WMMA game, so I literally know nothing about the game, what works and what doesn't work, which stats work well with certain other stats etc etc.

But for my first game I chose UFC and held my first fight card. I decided to go with Brock Lesnar vs Shane Carwin for the heavyweight title as the main event, and Shogun Rua vs Forrest Griffin for the light-heavy title as the co-main event. The fans opinion was that both of these match ups would be 'fantastic' or words to that effect.

Also, I put on a bunch of undercard fights and made sure that for every single one, the fans approved of the fight and said they would like to see it etc.

One or two of my fights were classed as 'average' or 'decent' but the majority were good or fantastic.

Yet when I get to my post event analysis, it tells me my event was 'very poor'. I don't understand how that can happen if my two main event fights went down a treat totally, I presumed the main events would take up a sizeable chunk of the overall rating like they do in TEW 2010?

It's just strange seeing all the individual fight ratings pretty good or excellent, but the show rating being so embarassingly bad. I have read this whole thread and picked up a few things from it, but I still don't understand how this can be logical?

I have to say though, I love the game so far, very much a pick up and play type of game for me. You can go into as much or as little detail as you prefer, I like the 'live' fight engine, and overall I'm glad I bought it.

I just hope I can pick up some advice here about this, because my popularity in America has absolutely plummeted as a result of this 'very poor' show. Is it purely the fact that some of my fighters on this show have not got massive popularity?

It's possible for your main and co-main event to be great with popular main card fights and still get a low rated card. It seems that if an unpopular fighter beats a popular fighter then it's bad for an event rating (this seems to play a lot more into the event rating than it simply being a "great" match-up). I guess maybe it's there to prevent the player from putting on so many squash matches. The individual fight ratings themselves seem to play little into the overall quality of the event.

Archived