A Music Discussion Thread

Big Roguey

Just a place where people can provide links to music they like/discuss music festivals and so forth.

Anybody who watched Glastonbury this weekend impressed more by the likes of Vampire Weekend and We Are Scientists than the headline acts. I don't know what it is but I was waaaay more impressed by VM and WAS than the Gorillaz and the Scissor Sisters.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is something that I have always gotten into a debate about. Why is Michael Jackson called the King of Pop? Shouldn't Paul McCartney be called that?

I know it is just a silly name, but Paul McCartney has influenced many people of different musical genres (even Michale Jackson himself) and is in the The Guinness Book as the most successful musician and composer in popular music history. So would that not make him the king of pop?

Here is something that I have always gotten into a debate about. Why is Michael Jackson called the King of Pop? Shouldn't Paul McCartney be called that?

I know it is just a silly name, but Paul McCartney has influenced many people of different musical genres (even Michale Jackson himself) and is in the The Guinness Book as the most successful musician and composer in popular music history. So would that not make him the king of pop?

Never actually struck me about Jacko. I think it is because it is a better name for someone of Jacko's stature. I mean how many people will obsess over Paul like they did with Jacko. I mean the doctor is still being sued.

A couple, to answer your question, formerly-of-Michigan Hero. Not many, I'll confess. But then again, that doesn't really mean anything. I could list dozens of bands with strange quirks, and it doesn't make Ghost Mice any more worth listening to, if you didn't like them to begin with (for instance).

Here's another one, now that I'm thinking -- Radiohead. How many bands can get that much mainstream coverage, and still be welcomed with open arms by the indie community?

Michael Jackson was the self proclaimed king of pop. Thats called marketing. ;)

Also, Im now the King of the Forums.

Sorry, Mark, but you're already the self-proclaimed grunt of the forums. Now... ah... I need you to move my bags up to my room.

Never actually struck me about Jacko. I think it is because it is a better name for someone of Jacko's stature. I mean how many people will obsess over Paul like they did with Jacko. I mean the doctor is still being sued.

Well you never lived through the 1960's (neither did I for that matter).:D The whole Paul is dead thing was very big at the time.

That is true, but it was repeated so often that he believed it.:D

Ah. "Paul is dead". I love just blurting that out in the middle of a conversation and see what happens. What is everybody's opinion on that anyway?

Silly fans taking their obsession to weird places. Mixed in with usual conspiracy theory BS.

Also, Paul probably is the greatest musician of the modern era. Im going to be incredibly sad the day he actually does die.

Silly fans taking their obsession to weird places. Mixed in with usual conspiracy theory BS.

Also, Paul probably is the greatest musician of the modern era. Im going to be incredibly sad the day he actually does die.

I agree, I even like Wings music as well (ducks head while people throw stuff at him). All though, I think that George Harrison was the best singer out of all of the Beatles (Not counting Pete Best or Stuart Sutcliffe because I never heard them sing).

I agree, I even like Wings music as well (ducks head while people throw stuff at him). All though, I think that George Harrison was the best singer out of all of the Beatles (Not counting Pete Best or Stuart Sutcliffe because I never heard them sing).

I like Wings as well.

Fun McCartney Fact = In addition to being a muti-million selling artist, Sir Paul is also a painter.

That is funny. I was told I'm the *princess of posting*. :p

I love the fact everyone is convinced that the Beatles dropped subtle hints about Paul's death.

I am going to make a lot of people mad. I never saw the appeal of the Beatles.

Here's another one, now that I'm thinking -- Radiohead. How many bands can get that much mainstream coverage, and still be welcomed with open arms by the indie community?

Well, they haven't really gotten much mainstream coverage since Creep was a hit. They've gone the opposite direction of most acts. They had a big hit and then got less and less mainstream as time went on in a very intentional way. Look at the song My Iron Lung. They've been running away from public success for years.

What happens is they continue to create great stuff and, as basically the kings of the sub-mainstream sector of the music world, they act as the sitting figureheads of the entire indie concept.

Need an "indie" band to play at the Grammys? Get Radiohead. Need to play an "indie" video or two in your rotation? Radiohead. (It helps that their videos are good like Paranoid Android and the House of Cards one that didn't even use cameras.)

The mainstream recognizes them out of a combination of respect and a marketing thing.

Yeah, but have you ever heard Ringo talk? It's twelve kinds of awesome. Coolest accent ever.